Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Anyone For Chinese?

by sandman » 30 Nov 2016 17:20

How dare they say our fans are plastic.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 30 Nov 2016 17:23

Maneki Neko other than endlessly epeating the same thing, im no sure what people want from thm.

they came in, said they wanted to develop the land, and would stabilise the club, but wouldnt be able to bank roll it indefinitely so were open to new investment, and if it wasnt forthcoming would probably have to sell up.
until somethiing in that statement changes, why would they keep repeating it?

I don't disagree with you there and I don't think they should have to come out and explain themselves.

The only point I'm at odds with is saying a football club you've supported and been a fan of for x amount of years is just the same as any other business.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 30 Nov 2016 17:35

Jagermesiter1871
Ian Royal
Nameless If the Thai's have extracted the assets then that must mean a potential,purchaser is buying us as a football club, not a non footballing investment opportunity.
If the Thai's are only selling a majority holding, not the whole club, they must see some value in remaining involved.
I'm sceptical about all club owners, but am interested in why people think several groups seem interested if as is being suggested the biggest asset is not actually owned by the club any more.

At the more cynical end, football is always good for money laundering.

Is it though? Surely way too high profile amongst many other things.

The money that changes hands is completely opaque and comes in vast sums. How do you think you get scandals like third party ownership of players, payments to managers for signing certain players. Convicted fraudsters like Massimo Cellino own clubs.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 30 Nov 2016 17:39

CountryRoyal
Maneki Neko other than endlessly epeating the same thing, im no sure what people want from thm.

they came in, said they wanted to develop the land, and would stabilise the club, but wouldnt be able to bank roll it indefinitely so were open to new investment, and if it wasnt forthcoming would probably have to sell up.

I don't disagree with you there and I don't think they should have to come out and explain themselves.

The only point I'm at odds with is saying a football club you've supported and been a fan of for x amount of years is just the same as any other business.

its exactly the same.
apart from the customers being a captive market that mostly arent going to go and support someone else because of a lack of success.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 30 Nov 2016 17:48

CountryRoyal

I think it's safe to say it isn't the same in the perception of most fans, but that doesn't mean the owners have to have the same view, or that in reality there is any difference.

There were people on here who might as well have been demanding that the Thai's personally came round their house and showed them the books then came back twice weekly to give a progress update. Whenever an announcement was made, it was either lies or not detailed enough, even if it said exactly what they'd asked for. And then within two weeks they were howling that information hadn't been provided despite it having been given a fortnight before.

Regardless of what fans want, they have no right to get regular updates on the finances, plans and progression towards those plans of owners. They can get the accounts summary once a year, but despite howling about wanting information, most pay zero attention to that, and half the ones that do either misunderstand it or claim it's just all lies anyway.

When you're in that situation, you may as well just say "oxf*rd em, I'm saying nothing" even if you want to be open, because it solves nothing and maybe even gets you more trouble.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 30 Nov 2016 17:58

Mr Optimist
genome I'm surprised to see Lady Sasima jumping ship so quickly.

I thought unstoppably she burned within?

She can get a cream for that, Canesten I think it's called.

It would have been too obvious for her to write a song about her undying love of the gravel car park next to the stadium though.

Can I be the first to say Dai Yongge, Dai Yongge, can't you see the writing on the wall? (RIP Ronnie James Dio)

Is he Chinese or Welsh?

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 30 Nov 2016 18:32

Sutekh
Mr Optimist
genome I'm surprised to see Lady Sasima jumping ship so quickly.

I thought unstoppably she burned within?

She can get a cream for that, Canesten I think it's called.

It would have been too obvious for her to write a song about her undying love of the gravel car park next to the stadium though.

Can I be the first to say Dai Yongge, Dai Yongge, can't you see the writing on the wall? (RIP Ronnie James Dio)

Is he Chinese or Welsh?

Half and half as we say here in Wales, half rice, half chips.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 30 Nov 2016 18:36

BR2
genome Why?

We don't own a stake in the club, all we do is buy their product

I don't think you get what a fan is all about-we don't just "buy the product" in the way that you buy one brand one week and another the next.
We are branded for life and often for most it is far from being the best buy.
I wish , in this country,we had a stake in our clubs as with Barcelona.
I gather that Mrs May's latest populist bandwagon is to push for more employees to be on the board of their employer so maybe she will advocate fans' board representation especially for her local League club.

This isn't the Brighton forum.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 30 Nov 2016 19:37

SCIAG
BR2
genome Why?

I don't think you get what a fan is all about-we don't just "buy the product" in the way that you buy one brand one week and another the next.
I gather that Mrs May's latest populist bandwagon is to push for more employees to be on the board of their employer so maybe she will advocate fans' board representation especially for her local League club.

This isn't the Brighton forum.

:?: :?:

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 30 Nov 2016 19:55

Nameless
BR2
genome Why?

Aren't Madrid and Barcelona ruled by dictatorial millionaires who spend huge sums getting 'elected' on the basis of promising the earth. Not sure how much the fans actually have to say in how the clubs are run. Isn't the key difference that what we call season tickets they call memberships, but they are essentially the same thing.

Have a read of Jimmy Burns'excellent book "Barca:-A People's Passion" and you will get a flavour of the massive connect between club, area and it's fans.

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 30 Nov 2016 20:02

To me OUR club feels like a prostitute being sold to the biggest pimp

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 30 Nov 2016 20:14

Theresa May is from Eastbourne and has spent most of her life living near Oxford or London. Parachuted into Maidenhead without any connection to the area.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 30 Nov 2016 22:07

Generally share the view that it's their thing and that they did what they said at the onset, I suppose I feel the timescale for success was a little shorter than I expected and the bid to escape when the club is showing marked improvement is a little disappointing. I recognise that it's likely my perception that is wrong but I had the impression that they were looking to profit from some of the footballing financial improvements brought on by promotion.

One8Seven1*

by One8Seven1* » 01 Dec 2016 08:44

Fox Talbot Maybe the PL and FL have different standards over the 'fit and proper' persons test?

Very concerned that the club/ stadium is being split from the immediately adjacent land and re-development transport plans. Not a recipe for smooth running, I'd have thought.

And if the Thais are holding the land what is the Chinese's financial motivation for buying the club - same as the fella at Villa, Wolves etc - get in the Prem I suppose?

The club and stadium being split? The Thai's own the land around the stadium and the hotel with RFC entitled to no share of any future sale or redevelopment. But the stadium as far as I'm aware remains in the hands of RFC, and STAR also had it protected as a community asset or whatever it's called.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 01 Dec 2016 08:46

So talks are at an advanced stage. That presumably means that they should be completed, one way or another, in the next week or so. Then there'll be an extended delay while the FL run their FPP test so we're probably looking well into the New Year before anything is confirmed on new owners.

Fox Talbot
Hob Nob Regular

by Fox Talbot » 01 Dec 2016 08:52

One8Seven1*
Fox Talbot Maybe the PL and FL have different standards over the 'fit and proper' persons test?

Very concerned that the club/ stadium is being split from the immediately adjacent land and re-development transport plans. Not a recipe for smooth running, I'd have thought.

And if the Thais are holding the land what is the Chinese's financial motivation for buying the club - same as the fella at Villa, Wolves etc - get in the Prem I suppose?

The club and stadium being split? The Thai's own the land around the stadium and the hotel with RFC entitled to no share of any future sale or redevelopment. But the stadium as far as I'm aware remains in the hands of RFC, and STAR also had it protected as a community asset or whatever it's called.

Sorry, not clear enough. Club+Stadium being split FROM surrounding land and hotel, not club being split from stadium.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 01 Dec 2016 09:27

Guess who've got a 5 page thread on this

http://www.northstandchat.com/showthrea ... at-Reading

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 01 Dec 2016 10:34

They're SO indifferent to us!

Gunny Fishcake To me OUR club feels like a prostitute being sold to the biggest pimp

Christ

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 01 Dec 2016 10:37

Baggie192

by Baggie192 » 01 Dec 2016 10:44

It's weird that Hull said they failed the fit proper test. The Sales have to be ratified in China first. the bigger the sum the longer it takes to get that ratification . Ours took a year. there no way they would have got to the fit and proper test so quickly. Both Dai's are listed on Forbes.com and are absolutely minted

948 posts