Anyone For Chinese?

948 posts
JamieY26

Re: Anyone For Chinese?

by JamieY26 » 29 Nov 2016 13:05

I don't know what all the fuss is about... We were a failing club on the verge of administration and were purchased by a group that have actually steadied the ship pretty well... It is worth remembering that the Thais or any other possible buyer will be business people and if a muddy car park was enough to tempt them and save the club, then i say LET THEM HAVE IT! Its a much better outcome than the one that was waiting for us if no buyer came along.

One8Seven1*

by One8Seven1* » 29 Nov 2016 14:09

JamieY26 I don't know what all the fuss is about... We were a failing club on the verge of administration and were purchased by a group that have actually steadied the ship pretty well... It is worth remembering that the Thais or any other possible buyer will be business people and if a muddy car park was enough to tempt them and save the club, then i say LET THEM HAVE IT! Its a much better outcome than the one that was waiting for us if no buyer came along.

Fair point, but it didn't do Leicester or Southampton any harm, did it? My biggest concern remains the lack of parking will hurt attendances, especially when we struggle. It's all well and good offering more buses, but the current bus service isn't the best, and they're offering buses that will take you to the ground far too early and leave well after full-time to counter the increase in usage. I wouldn't have wanted admin and relegation, but equally it wouldn't have been the end of the world either.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 29 Nov 2016 14:21

One8Seven1*
JamieY26 I don't know what all the fuss is about... We were a failing club on the verge of administration and were purchased by a group that have actually steadied the ship pretty well... It is worth remembering that the Thais or any other possible buyer will be business people and if a muddy car park was enough to tempt them and save the club, then i say LET THEM HAVE IT! Its a much better outcome than the one that was waiting for us if no buyer came along.

Fair point, but it didn't do Leicester or Southampton any harm, did it? My biggest concern remains the lack of parking will hurt attendances, especially when we struggle. It's all well and good offering more buses, but the current bus service isn't the best, and they're offering buses that will take you to the ground far too early and leave well after full-time to counter the increase in usage. I wouldn't have wanted admin and relegation, but equally it wouldn't have been the end of the world either.

Administration is very bad for local companies who supply the club and are left seriously out of pocket, locals who work for the club who lose their jobs with only statutory redundancy, and the tax-payer.
It makes no difference to the ones who already are well paid - i.e., management and the footballers.

Is it the end of the world? It might feel like it if your business goes under because of it.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 29 Nov 2016 16:00

One8Seven1*

only mentalists park at the stadium anyway

Whitley Hoops

by Whitley Hoops » 29 Nov 2016 16:10

I guess what will be, will be. I remember there being a lot of panic when the Thais took over and that seems to have been fine (so far). I think this will just be an extra investment not a full take over with the Chinese taking 20-30% not worrying ATM. :?

One8Seven1*

by One8Seven1* » 29 Nov 2016 16:20

Maneki Neko
One8Seven1*

only mentalists park at the stadium anyway

Agreed, but that's what - 1500 or more cars, anything from 1500-4000 fans per game? That's a significant amount who will have to bus and many wont want to. We've also lost Wooton Grange (not sure if that's the correct name) which is now being redeveloped. It will hurt us significantly imo.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 29 Nov 2016 16:39

Whitley Hoops I guess what will be, will be. I remember there being a lot of panic when the Thais took over and that seems to have been fine (so far). I think this will just be an extra investment not a full take over with the Chinese taking 20-30% not worrying ATM. :?

Everything so far suggests the Chinese are taking a 75% stake in the club, Sasima is bailing out, that was from CW so there is surely some element of truth to it.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 29 Nov 2016 16:53

I'll have 2 number 9s please.

oh_ROAR

by oh_ROAR » 29 Nov 2016 17:09

Obviously this has the potential to go horribly wrong, however, the optimistic view could be that we keep Tiger being the figurehead of the board who keeps the club going in the same direction with new majority owners who are willing to part with some of their heaps of cash. (Not saying I think this will happen but I can dream)

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 29 Nov 2016 18:44

I think the Thais have done alright by the club, put us on a more even keel and recruited pretty well.

Obviously, any talk of takeover has me nervous but if this goes ahead, I'd like to think there's still a Thai presence in the boardroom and they have some input into the culture of the club.

The other thing that gives me some hope as well is that these Chinese siblings do have their own money and the fact that one of them is settled and has made a family life for themselves in the UK for some time, makes me hopeful that maybe they are a bit more savvy as to how football works and are realistic as to what to expect and what can be achieved.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 29 Nov 2016 18:47

I've given up on giving up on worrying (or getting excited) about such things.

Que sera ...... and all that

toppy
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by toppy » 29 Nov 2016 19:38

AthleticoSpizz I've given up on giving up on worrying (or getting excited) about such things.

Que sera ...... and all that

I reckon this is a logical view. Hearing it might be done tomorrow.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 30 Nov 2016 10:11

If/when it does happen I do hope the club (presumably thorough Nigel Howe) comes out to talk to the media immediately and answers all questions up front and honestly as you could hope for and not get into the same situation we had with the Thais where you got a brief pot of shallow spin (Sir John & Lady Sasima "on tour") then nothing for months on end.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 30 Nov 2016 10:15

I demand no such constant communicational updating from any other business I use.
see no reason to demand it here either

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 30 Nov 2016 10:22

Maneki Neko I demand no such constant communicational updating from any other business I use.

Tbf a little more transparency that last time would be appropriate. Football is different to most other businesses in that it attracts loyalty or fervour from its customers who are perhaps owed more in the way of an explanation than say a company manufacturing comestibles would do having put its prices up.

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 30 Nov 2016 10:37

Do they have deep pockets?

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 30 Nov 2016 10:38

Maneki Neko I demand no such constant communicational updating from any other business I use.

Bit different isn't it...

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 30 Nov 2016 12:23

Why?

We don't own a stake in the club, all we do is buy their product

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 30 Nov 2016 12:40

genome Why?

But are you able to buy a comparable or alternative product instead? No, that is the point.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 30 Nov 2016 12:41

Mr Optimist
genome Why?

But are you able to buy a comparable or alternative product instead? No, that is the point.

Not sure this is true. Plenty of other football clubs or sports to enjoy.

There might be a bit more brand loyalty in the case of a football club but there are still substitutes.

948 posts