Anyone For Chinese?

948 posts
winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

Re: Anyone For Chinese?

by winchester_royal » 17 May 2017 12:16

Hound
72 bus
Geekins BBC RB were loving it last night and this morning, but i can't help think why release this news at the time they did? We're all happy to off to Wembley, release the news so as not to get a negative reaction. I'm suspicious.

Fukks sake, Last night we got to the Championship playoff final which could be worth 170m + for us if we win it, we also added two billionaires to the board.
Yet some folks still find something to moan about.

yep

The takeover was announced half way through the second half of the game - that was the weird thing for me.

Reading into it, it was ratified yesterday, and they were obviously wanting to share the news asap. I don't see any conspiracy behind it, we've all known this would likely happen for a long time.

I'm surprised a deal was agreed before the play offs were over though, surely we are worth many many times more as a Prem club. No doubt there are two prices depending on whether we go up or not, and they are happy to pay either

Given the Chinese duo have effectively been funding the club for the past 5 months, I would imagine the deal was agreed and signed months ago and was only waiting on EFL ratification to go through. I.e. even though the Thais could have got a better deal if we do go up, they wouldn't have been able to go back on it now.

10539.4 Miles Away
Hob Nob Regular

by 10539.4 Miles Away » 17 May 2017 12:18

Hound I'm surprised a deal was agreed before the play offs were over though, surely we are worth many many times more as a Prem club. No doubt there are two prices depending on whether we go up or not, and they are happy to pay either

I really don't think there's much more to it than this ... http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/reading-fc-takeover-expensive-run-12874831 Its cost them a lot more to keep the club going than they expected and they have their property deal which from the outset they said was one of their priorities. Yes we have a chance of going up and unlocking those riches but the Thais will also understand that the expenses of running the club (especially wages) will also spiral if we make it up. In either outcome, promotion or not, the club itself is not a money making business.

Emmer Green Royal

by Emmer Green Royal » 17 May 2017 12:23

[quote="72 bus"]

Fukks sake, Last night we got to the Championship playoff final which could be worth 170m + for us if we win it, we also added two billionaires to the board.
Yet some folks still find something to moan about.[/quote]

+1

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 17 May 2017 12:34

Am I the only person who has Black Sabbath's Die Young stuck in their head as an ear worm today with this news?

Dai Yongge, Dai Yongge, can't you see the writing on the wall?

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 17 May 2017 12:37

Listening to bbcrb this morning, Dellor was talking about being in the board room this morning and SJM and NH were having some bantz, NH was ribbing SJM for not spending enough dosh the last two times in the prem. SJM was obviously giving banter back, then NH mentioned well we don't have to worry about money this time....

Dellor said I hope I haven't breached confidentiality by saying that, but insinuated we are now absolutely minted and our new overlords are not going to be afraid to spend spend spend.

10539.4 Miles Away
Hob Nob Regular

by 10539.4 Miles Away » 17 May 2017 12:39

Mr Optimist Am I the only person who has Black Sabbath's Die Young stuck in their head as an ear worm today with this news?

Not quite. Its this one for me https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOubzHCUt48

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 17 May 2017 12:44

10539.4 Miles Away
Mr Optimist Am I the only person who has Black Sabbath's Die Young stuck in their head as an ear worm today with this news?

Not quite. Its this one for me https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOubzHCUt48

LOL! Nice one, better looking than Ronnie James Dio

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 17 May 2017 13:17

He makes me want to sing So Young by Suede if I'm honest

And of course his Sister was much loved by Shakin'

https://youtu.be/6AtOcWOPT50

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 17 May 2017 13:45

I really don't suspect any conspiracy behind the timing.

Listening to the interview with Nigel Howe this morning, as crazy as it seems, it would appear that all of the parties really did sign off the deal during the second half last night! Why? He didn't really explain, other than the fact that it was planned for them to all be at the game. Andrew Peach (or was it Dellor?) also said that the Thais had laid on a spectacular buffet, which suggests they were confident of having something to celebrate/commemorate.

Still seems strange that they would have stopped watching a game like that just to sign off the paperwork.

Still it's great news IMO. My concern was that if the ownership wasn't sorted and/or we failed to get through the playoffs we would lose Stam, due to lack of ownership certainty and funding.

Whatever the outcome at Wembley, I think our chances of keeping him have now increased very significantly.

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 17 May 2017 14:04

That all sounds carparktastic!

multisync1830
Hob Nob Regular

by multisync1830 » 17 May 2017 20:41

WoodleyRoyal Listening to bbcrb this morning, Dellor was talking about being in the board room this morning and SJM and NH were having some bantz, NH was ribbing SJM for not spending enough dosh the last two times in the prem. SJM was obviously giving banter back, then NH mentioned well we don't have to worry about money this time....

Dellor said I hope I haven't breached confidentiality by saying that, but insinuated we are now absolutely minted and our new overlords are not going to be afraid to spend spend spend.

I have said this before here NH told me personally during a rather drunken evening spent in each and others company : *money was offered to Sir SC and he refused to spend it so not sure why he was ribbing SJM about that of all things.. The rather lame SJM plastic flag waving seems a more honest reason for a piss take.

*Although he was talking about the odd mil not the quadzilion potentially on offer

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 17 May 2017 21:44

RoyalBlue I really don't suspect any conspiracy behind the timing.

Listening to the interview with Nigel Howe this morning, as crazy as it seems, it would appear that all of the parties really did sign off the deal during the second half last night! Why? He didn't really explain, other than the fact that it was planned for them to all be at the game. Andrew Peach (or was it Dellor?) also said that the Thais had laid on a spectacular buffet, which suggests they were confident of having something to celebrate/commemorate..

Maybe, just maybe, they came over specifically to sign, given that the football league gave them the go ahead to do so, and the game was almost a bonus.

I do find Radio Berks sometimes do their best to give the impression that "Berks" should be pronounced phonetically, with Andrew Peach going on about how it won't just be a day out this time, as if this is the first time we've cared about a final. He then went on to say "It's certainly not like Bolton in '95, when nobody thought we had a chance"... He did then add that his son (age 10) knows more about football than him, which made me want to text in "...and so does your cat".

Also talk about us having never won at Wembley, and some bandwagon-jumping fan going on about how we've lost 6 finals.

WAZZOCK

by WAZZOCK » 17 May 2017 21:51

Why it was announced during the second half, I don't know.

However, I have it on good authority that it's been completed for a few weeks.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 17 May 2017 23:02

Jonathon Swift, spokesman for the EFL, said: "The EFL can confirm that they have no objections to the change of control application made by Reading Football Club.

So that's how we forced it through, John Swift pulling double duty.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 17 May 2017 23:04

tidus_mi2
Jonathon Swift, spokesman for the EFL, said: "The EFL can confirm that they have no objections to the change of control application made by Reading Football Club.

So that's how we forced it through, John Swift pulling double duty.

Why'd you miss the open goal?

"Too busy finalising a multi-million pound deal, pal"

UpThePrem

by UpThePrem » 18 May 2017 08:21

Not seen anything about John Madejski's position since the takeover. Is he still co-chairman?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 18 May 2017 08:34

UpThePrem Not seen anything about John Madejski's position since the takeover. Is he still co-chairman?

Yes, apparently his position at the club will not change.

glass half full
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you see someone without a smile..... give him one of yours!

by glass half full » 18 May 2017 15:18

Sutekh
UpThePrem Not seen anything about John Madejski's position since the takeover. Is he still co-chairman?

What does Royal Blue think?

exileinleeds
Hob Nob Addict

by exileinleeds » 18 May 2017 15:37

Sutekh

Excellent. I hope we also keep the stadium name....Not sure I would be so happy with the more Chinese sounding 'Happy Dai Yongge'

It sounds like a tinpot take away.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 18 May 2017 16:32

on Sky that the PL were consulted over the takeover and would be fine if we did go up. Not that it was ever really in doubt

948 posts