BFTG Leeds

Fox Talbot
Hob Nob Regular

Re: BFTG Leeds

by Fox Talbot » 15 Dec 2016 15:56

I went.

Our patience and discipline at sticking to a plan for the first 65 mins was amazing. The plan was to hold them to 0-0, frustrate them, then put on our better forwards and nick it. Spoiler alert - we were 0-1 down after 20 mins because someone - Joey I think - let the ball run past him in the 6 yard box and their fella had a tap-in. No change in plan though.

67 mins before we had a shot on target. The Leeds fans were taking the mick of our possession game before half-time and I thought we took it to extremes here. Fair play to Jaap - although I was bored sick for the first hour - we really did squeeze them for the next 25. Trouble was, they were one-up and happy enough to sit back, soak up and wait for their break.

We missed Obita (vs Saturday), Blackett at LB was a bit sloppy, wayward. Joey and Samuel, just like at Fulham, did nothing going forward so effectively it was our defence holding the ball and finding nothing on - Swift and Kermy badly missed.

Their crowd was good - helped them out in the late spell where we were on top.

As for the league table - IT DOES LIE. Objectively we do of course have the 3rd best record in the division but the table isn't a measure of the current strengths of the various teams. Anyone see Brian Glanville's piece in the Sunday Times on the Fulham game? He was incredulous that we were third and anyone who saw the Leeds game would think the same. We're doing well with limited resources and finishing 12th with this lot would be decent enough.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 15 Dec 2016 16:02

Fox Talbot As for the league table - IT DOES LIE. Objectively we do of course have the 3rd best record in the division but the table isn't a measure of the current strengths of the various teams. Anyone see Brian Glanville's piece in the Sunday Times on the Fulham game? He was incredulous that we were third and anyone who saw the Leeds game would think the same. We're doing well with limited resources and finishing 12th with this lot would be decent enough.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 15 Dec 2016 16:27

Fox Talbot As for the league table - IT DOES LIE. Objectively we do of course have the 3rd best record in the division but the table isn't a measure of the current strengths of the various teams. Anyone see Brian Glanville's piece in the Sunday Times on the Fulham game? He was incredulous that we were third and anyone who saw the Leeds game would think the same. We're doing well with limited resources and finishing 12th with this lot would be decent enough.

No, sorry, lost me there. How can a league table lie after almost half a season exactly? I could understand the argument after 5 or 6 games but not after 21.

Looking at the squad I can see why someone might think we are over achieving, and I have to say that I think there are weak links that we need to improve on e.g. getting a striker and I'm still not convinced on JvdB, but when you consider we have had no creativity so far this month, with both Williams and Swift sidelined, it is unsurprising that in the games we've had we've struggled badly to offer much threat and consequently a casual observer, like the respected Brian Glanville, might be amazed at our current position

Hoping that the takeover sorts itself out quickly so that the club can make the right moves in January that take this style of play much closer to the finished article.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 15 Dec 2016 17:56

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 19 Dec 2016 11:37

I do not understand how people perceive building from the back when chasing a game as a negative approach. The objective of building from the back is to create a chance & score a goal ( obviously)

If we were to play with more `urgency` move the ball quicker & go more direct to appease some of our supporters,it means we will lose the ball & possession more often which probably has the same percentage chance of scoring as it does from building slowly from defence

Jaap deserves big credit for his stubbornness & sticking to his principles

The Cap
Hob Nob Regular

by The Cap » 19 Dec 2016 13:20

With Eddie Gray's latest comments on getreading site, I think we can safely say that Jaap's well and truly upset the Yorkie apple cart. And set up a return fixture that should prove.......interesting. To say the least :wink:

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 19 Dec 2016 14:29

If we end up beating Leeds comfortably in the return fixture, can we just ironically chant "Boring, boring Reading"

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 19 Dec 2016 16:12

tidus_mi2 If we end up beating Leeds comfortably in the return fixture, can we just ironically chant "Boring, boring Reading"

They do seem to be a bit obsessed.

Just saw Sky Bet Championship tweet our first goal video and there was a Leeds fan comment something along the lines of:

"well they didn't test Leeds"

:|