BFTG - Norwich home

141 posts
PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

BFTG - Norwich home

by PieEater » 26 Dec 2016 17:38

Again this was a game that could have gone either way, we started the game badly and didn't play at all well in the first half, then we score from a set piece and see out the half.

Second half was much better, Norwich come at us, get a good goal, then came the match changing sending off. What on earth was Howson thinking saving the ball on the line like a keeper. It was a guaranteed red card and a pen even though we scored in the follow up.

Typically we miss the pen and score from the rebound, then Norwich took off Oliveria, and Naismith and bring on the donkey Jerome. That was game over and although Ainsley scored a cracker at the end we were never really troubled.

Good games again for Moore and Kelly, in particular Kelly's set pieces have given us a new edge. Good to see Swift and Williams back although they didn't really shine.

RG7Fan

Re: BFTG - Norwich home

by RG7Fan » 26 Dec 2016 17:46

PieEater Again this was a game that could have gone either way, we started the game badly and didn't play at all well in the first half, then we score from a set piece and see out the half.

Second half was much better, Norwich come at us, get a good goal, then came the match changing sending off. What on earth was Howson thinking saving the ball on the line like a keeper. It was a guaranteed red card and a pen even though we scored in the follow up.

Typically we miss the pen and score from the rebound, then Norwich took off Oliveria, and Naismith and bring on the donkey Jerome. That was game over and although Ainsley scored a cracker at the end we were never really troubled.

Good games again for Moore and Kelly, in particular Kelly's set pieces have given us a new edge. Good to see Swift and Williams back although they didn't really shine.

I thought they actually looked more dangerous once they were down to 10.

Why doesnt the ref play advantage after the handball and award the goal, and then come back and penalise the original offence (handball) with the card? That can happen in open play regardless of whether a goal happens or not.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 26 Dec 2016 17:49

Speaking of the ref - how the oxf*rd can he award a free kick off offside (to be taken) in your own half. Twice.

sloughroyal123

by sloughroyal123 » 26 Dec 2016 17:53

PieEater Speaking of the ref - how the oxf*rd can he award a free kick off offside (to be taken) in your own half. Twice.

New rule says the freekick is awarded where the ball is touched, not from where the player was originally offside. Ref was right, just one of the first ones I've seen enforce this new ruling.

RG7Fan

by RG7Fan » 26 Dec 2016 17:53

PieEater Again this was a game that could have gone either way, we started the game badly and didn't play at all well in the first half, then we score from a set piece and see out the half.

Good result, although not the best performance - as you say could have gone either way.

Liam Moore is class. Liam Kelly puts in 110% - never gives up, harries his opponents and often comes off better despite his diminutive size. Not the best game for Ali. Wasnt sure if McShane would make it to the end of the game - looked like he was grabbing his bandaged arm a lot.

Hoss

by Hoss » 26 Dec 2016 17:54

PieEater Speaking of the ref - how the oxf*rd can he award a free kick off offside (to be taken) in your own half. Twice.

There was talk in he stands that there has been a change in the law. Can anyone confirm?

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 26 Dec 2016 17:54

Another random thought. Norwich have a great squad of players, but the one player who always does well against us is Hoolahan, yet Neil doesn't start him. IMHO he deserves to be sacked - not starting their best player.

George_

by George_ » 26 Dec 2016 17:56

Enjoying this false position.

Weren't at our best today against a side that worked us out tactically 1st half. But once again we grinded out another win and a team that can do that when not playing at their best is huge.

Liam Moore is a class above 99% of other championship centre backs I've seen this season. Just oozes pure class.

Great to have Swift & Williams back, but Liam Kelly I thought had another good game today, hopefully this is his year he cements his place in the squad.

RG7Fan

by RG7Fan » 26 Dec 2016 17:57

sloughroyal123

New rule says the freekick is awarded where the ball is touched, not from where the player was originally offside. Ref was right, just one of the first ones I've seen enforce this new ruling.

http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-gov ... ---offside

Covered in FAQ3. Logically it makes sense since the freekick is where the offence takes place - which is when the player becomes active / plays ball / interferes with play.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 26 Dec 2016 17:58

I'm still scratching my head as to why Neil took off Oliviera. He was causing us serious problems.
Last edited by genome on 26 Dec 2016 18:03, edited 1 time in total.

Soul Man

by Soul Man » 26 Dec 2016 17:59

PieEater Another random thought. Norwich have a great squad of players, but the one player who always does well against us is Hoolahan, yet Neil doesn't start him. IMHO he deserves to be sacked - not starting their best player.

Great Decision :wink:

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 26 Dec 2016 18:08

Despite the missed penalty Kermorgant was MOTM in my opinion. That little header across to Kelly today was magnificent.

Harriot's goal was a beaut. Absolute thunderbolt.

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 26 Dec 2016 18:16

I love the fact that when any team has a shot against us there are 3 or 4 Reading players diving to get a block in. The passion Stam has enstalled is excellent.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm enjoying being a Reading fan right now. I'm excited for the next game, which isn't something I would have said this time last year.

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 26 Dec 2016 18:16

RG7Fan

Why doesnt the ref play advantage after the handball and award the goal, and then come back and penalise the original offence (handball) with the card? That can happen in open play regardless of whether a goal happens or not.

Used to be a rule that red card = no advantage played but they changed it a little while ago to say that he can now play advantage and go back and send the player off if there will be a goal scored from playing the advantage or summat. It basically only happens if the red card offence occurs as the ball is going into the goal, otherwise you are asking the ref to second guess how likely a goal being scored is.

RG7Fan

by RG7Fan » 26 Dec 2016 18:20

Winston Smith
RG7Fan

Used to be a rule that red card = no advantage played but they changed it a little while ago to say that he can now play advantage and go back and send the player off if there will be a goal scored from playing the advantage or summat. It basically only happens if the red card offence occurs as the ball is going into the goal, otherwise you are asking the ref to second guess how likely a goal being scored is.

So a deliberate handball (a la Suarez against Ghana in 2010 WC) would now be goal + red card? Sort of like a penalty try in Rugby?

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 26 Dec 2016 18:29

RG7Fan
Winston Smith
RG7Fan

So a deliberate handball (a la Suarez against Ghana in 2010 WC) would now be goal + red card? Sort of like a penalty try in Rugby?

No. The ball didn't go in the goal when Suarez handballed didn't it? I thought he 'saved' it on the line.

If a player was hacked down with a red card offence after he kicked the ball towards an open net then the ref can now wait until the ball rolls in, play advantage in awarding the goal and the dish out a red card.

Aside from that is is pretty much as you were and red card offense = no advantage allowed to be played

blueroyals
Hob Nob Regular

by blueroyals » 26 Dec 2016 18:34

Terrible decision making by the ref. If we didn't score from the penalty there would have been a meltdown about the disallowed goal

brighton_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by brighton_royal » 26 Dec 2016 18:34

Harriott's goal was a thing of beauty. Is he normally a winger or a striker?

harry
Hob Nob Regular

by harry » 26 Dec 2016 18:42

Wasn't convinced by the performance but I'll take the 3 points.
We were sluggish at the start of both halves.
Thought Moore, Blackett & McShane played well. Gunter has a poor game by his standards losing the ball cheaply a couple of times. Seemed better second half.
AAH - good saves when needed, distribution not great.
Joey still looks a bit off the pace. Thought he got the ball when he got booked but I've seen other suggestions that he was lucky with a yellow so I may have been mistaken. Struggled as the game progressed.
Kelly - good game, got stuck in, excellent delivery for first.
Williams - his run in 1st half (when took on about 3 players, should have passed, then got fouled) seemed to spark the team into life. Overall an OK performance.
Beerens - couple of decent moments. Drifts in & out of the game too much for my liking but you could say that about most wingers
McCleary - great follow up for his goal risking having his head taken off by Kermorgant's attempted bicycle kick
Kermorgant - great header for goal, lovely lay off for Kelly

Good to see Swift back.
Looked better with Evans on.
Harriott - WHAT A STRIKE!!!!

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 26 Dec 2016 18:45

blueroyals Terrible decision making by the ref

:lol:

141 posts