BFTG - United (A)

150 posts
Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: BFTG - United (A)

by Oilroyal » 07 Jan 2017 19:13

winchester_royal Okay so you have no interest in discussing the actual game - perhaps you should avoid the BFTG thread relating to it then?

The game was pointless after 15 minutes. No championship side would have come away from that game with any other result than a loss. Jaap should learn from this and put ego to one side.

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 07 Jan 2017 19:16

Oilroyal
winchester_royal Okay so you have no interest in discussing the actual game - perhaps you should avoid the BFTG thread relating to it then?

The game was pointless after 15 minutes. No championship side would have come away from that game with any other result than a loss. Jaap should learn from this and put ego to one side.

We should be united and be focued on our Thursday night televised game against QPR which will be a totally different outcome. Reading will win!

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 07 Jan 2017 19:43

We were far too timid early doors and the game was lost after 15 minutes

We played fairly well for about 45 minutes after that, albeit never having a Rooney et al to break through

Then Liam Moore slipped and the game was up. Only a retard would have a go at AAH for the fourth after a pretty great game, as proved above

Glad we didn't pick up any knocks

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 07 Jan 2017 20:06

Silver Fox We were far too timid early doors and the game was lost after 15 minutes

We played fairly well for about 45 minutes after that, albeit never having a Rooney et al to break through

Then Liam Moore slipped and the game was up. Only a retard would have a go at AAH for the fourth after a pretty great game, as proved above

Glad we didn't pick up any knocks

Was good to see McCleary able to continue after the clattering he got from the keeper. I expect he'll be sore right now.

WAZZOCK

by WAZZOCK » 07 Jan 2017 20:14

Unfortunately that match when the way that my head thought it would. Our possession focussed style of play isn't too dissimilar to United's, so it was always going to be difficult going to-to-toe with a side full of so much quality.

Some positives for us. Kelly was just majestic, he just gets better and better as the weeks go on. Swift looked like he was back to his old ways after a sluggish game on Monday (a can completely appreciate that he is working his way towards full fitness).

Quite a few Championship clubs won/drew today, which will hopefully benefit us as we head into the busier periods. Also the experience of playing the big boys can only help too. Al Habsi has had a mistake like that in him all season, but I'd much prefer him do that at 3-0 down in a cup match than in the league.

I'll finish with a moan. I'll admit that it had no bearing on the result, but the performance from Andre Marriner and his assistants was scandalous today. Got so many calls wrong, and showed a complete inability to give an advantage when we were in a better position. How did he rustle up 2 minutes of injury time at the end when McCleary, Yann and Carrick were all injured for several minutes?! Very, very poor.

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 07 Jan 2017 20:25

WAZZOCK
Quite a few Championship clubs won/drew today, which will hopefully benefit us as we head into the busier periods.

Birmingham - Newcastle need to replay
Barnsley need a replay
Brentford go through
Massive Brighton go through
Huddersfield go through
Norwich will need a replay
Wolves go through
Derby go through

Fulham and Wednesday play tomorrow

All good news for us.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 07 Jan 2017 20:29

Never likely to get anything from that but as others have said, it's disappointing we didn't turn up for the first 15 minutes to give them a harder workout. After that we got into the game without creating anything of note other than a chance for Moore at 2-0.

Kelly was the standout for us. He was confident on the ball, even against these top players and looked like a star. Funny to see him pushing the England Captain around.

Interesting to see Rooney today, beside the goal and a few nice passes in the second half the decline is even more noticeable live.

Al Habsi - 5

Gunter - 4
Moore - 6
JVDB - 5
Blackett - 3

Evans - 6
Kelly - 7 Motm
Williams - 6

McCleary - 6
Kermorgant - 5
Beerens - 4

Subs:
Obita - 6
Swift - 6
Samuel - n/a

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 07 Jan 2017 20:39

Only highlight for me was Liam Kelly, who was outstanding and our best player by far. The lad is a real talent.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 07 Jan 2017 20:44

Just got back-my bum is shredded from sitting in the coach for hours-still glad I went despite the horrible result.

Game was up after 15 minutes, and while we pressed for a couple of periods we never looked like scoring; except perhaps Moore's chance.I expected the senior pro's to step up and display their Prem credentials. It never happened.

Al Habsi 4: His distribution was poor right from the start & this week his one a game howler resulted in a goal
Gunter 4: Started the rot and was found out-sure he is good at clearing up and blocking but once somebody runs at him he is dog meat
Blackett 5: Not sure he was as bad as Gunts
Moore 5:Got found out
Joey 6: Actually not as bad as some have made out
Evans 7: When the fur was flying in the opening minutes, he was the only one who stood up
Williams 5: Started very badly but slowly got his usual game going
Kelly 8 : The one shining light, ran Carrick ragged and apart from one bad pass was invariably on the money
Beerens 4: Usual really , apart from one on one he is a waste of space
Kermit 4: A step too far for him
Macca 5: Like Danny a poor start, but got better; this was his big chance but he blew it big time

Obita 6: Should have started with a five across the back
Swift 6: Still trying to get back to his pre injury form

Ref: Very average

Man Utd: Did'nt really need to get out of 2nd gear. Jones very impressive, back to England form.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 07 Jan 2017 20:52

No offense lads...but Reading were really shite today

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 07 Jan 2017 20:56

BR0B0T No offense lads...but Reading were really shite today

Yep we know but does it really matter, I mean really matter

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 07 Jan 2017 21:01

Oilroyal
Gunny Fishcake Never in the game , at times the game resembled a training game for Man U , woeful mistake from Al Hasabi though both cheating git Young and their goalie should have been sent off for two footed lunging tackles , proved to be a woeful FA Cup draw , we move on

No one player is to blame today.

We are a championship team playing very well... Anyone who hoped for a result today at old Trafford is deluded.

Bring on QPR and 1 or 3 presious points.

You're a total dimwit. Please leave immediately as you're either thick or just deliberately misreading these posts

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 07 Jan 2017 21:02

Eh, we were pretty shit even considering I was pessimistic about us going to Old Trafford against Man Utd in seriously good form. The atmosphere was very good though and the home fans were pretty dreadful but I think that's just how it goes. Hopefully we just learn from our mistakes and carry on the good league form.

Also, we don't have that many good games when 1 of McShane or Moore are out do we?

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 07 Jan 2017 21:06

bobby1413
Oilroyal
Gunny Fishcake Never in the game , at times the game resembled a training game for Man U , woeful mistake from Al Hasabi though both cheating git Young and their goalie should have been sent off for two footed lunging tackles , proved to be a woeful FA Cup draw , we move on

We are a championship team playing very well... Anyone who hoped for a result today at old Trafford is deluded.

You're a total dimwit. Please leave immediately as you're either thick or just deliberately misreading these posts

I'm really thick so from now on I'll follow you and agree with whatever you say. I bet you wear a hi vis at work :D
Last edited by Oilroyal on 07 Jan 2017 21:19, edited 2 times in total.

The Cap
Hob Nob Regular

by The Cap » 07 Jan 2017 21:06

bobby 1413 wrote:
The spell in the second half was good but we just couldn't break through. It seemed like our players bottled it a bit. Some didn't look themselves, scared of the occasion maybe, I'd like to have seem more shots from distance as we weren't having any luck trying to run them all in

Head and nail come to mind bob. In one mate :wink:

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 07 Jan 2017 21:07

Oilroyal
bobby1413
Oilroyal

I'm really thick so from now on I'll follow you and agree with whatever you say. I bet you wear a hi vis at work :D
Last edited by Oilroyal on 07 Jan 2017 21:20, edited 1 time in total.

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 07 Jan 2017 21:19

Other than the horror first fifteen, 75-80 minutes. We were clearly over awed to begin with and didn't start playing until that quick goal kick that seemed to make us realise that we can actually play from the back - even against United. First goal was slick passing that should have been stopped but there are worse goals to concede.

The second goal - Gunter had clearly been instructed not to dive in against Martial which actually worked for most of the game - he seems to have two moves, bend it round into the corner or pull it back to the centre spot - but the issue is if you don't dive in you have to stop the shot and you have to pick up the runners. Gunter failed to do the first bit.

From there we settled down, played pretty well - didn't really get a chance but we held our own and that's decent. Third goal was decent from there point of view, and fourth goal is.. well. Annoying but AAH has won us points by himself this year so not too worried about a blunder at 3-0 down.

The biggest positive, other than Swift looking sharp again, is that we played Swift and Kelly on the same pitch and it worked to perfection. Admittedly United were sitting off, and I don't expect them to get as easy a ride in the Championship but it's definitely promising.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 07 Jan 2017 21:49

CountryRoyal That was some of the worst defending I think I've seen. If we played like that in the champ we'd be in the relegation zone. It was awful.

Fortunately we won't face an attacking force of this magnitude in the Championship. However clearly shows the gulf not only between the leagues but within the Premiership itself. To consider ourselves worthy of promotion this team has some way to go in terms of improving and evolving. The players that learnt from today will go onto be much better players in the future. Those that don't won't part of Stam's plans. Tiago Ilori hopefully will be the first part of the jig saw.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 07 Jan 2017 22:03

sandman
Kelly was the standout for us. He was confident on the ball, even against these top players and looked like a star. Funny to see him pushing the England Captain around.

Totally went missing for first 20/25 minutes of the game. Hopefully would have learnt from Carrick who I thought was imperious during that period of the game. Kelly has to do the dirty jobs not just be a play maker.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 07 Jan 2017 22:07

There's some epic fvckwittery in the above 3 posts

150 posts