BFTG - United (A)

150 posts
Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

Re: BFTG - United (A)

by Westwood52 » 08 Jan 2017 13:34

Final thoughts on yesterday.

When I walked from the coach-I found the whole atmosphere outside the ground intimidating-not in terms of threat of violence etc.,(the current set of Man U fans are tourists compared with the set that I use to see at London games in the 70s) but just the overall weight of expectation (and the sheer size of the place); that the players and Mourino have to shoulder every other week. It seemed to me that this City is all about football-Reading clearly is not(maybe the Mancs have nothing else going for them, although I believe the City Centre is impressive ?).

I thought the seating was extremely tight-the bloke next to me could do with losing a few pounds, but he wasn't obese-yet he straddled my seat quite a bit-the gaps between the rows was tight as well.

I had to stand up for the whole ninety minutes-haven't done that at a football ground for a while-without barriers in place this could be dangerous-neither the stewards or police did anything about this-not saying I am against standing only,but barriers have to be in place. And ultimately kids and short arses aren't going to see much.

And finally the football-as Jap I think was saying after the game; you learn all about players when you lose & those players who underperformed either have to take the need for substantial improvement on board or we have to put in place plans to ship them out & replace them.

For Al Habsi/Williams/Gunts/Joey/Kermit/Beerens and maybe Macca this will always be a step too far, in terms of the level of performance required-however there is definitely a core of younger players who have it in them to step up to a higher level of performance-whether we can keep these and maintain a reasonable level of performance amongst the senior pros is the trick.

To end ; has Director of football done a reasonable job, when over half of the summers acquisitions have proved to be a waste-is this level of return what is acceptable ? Wouldn't it have been better for instance to use both Mendes and Meighte's salary on one really good player ? Or perhaps that level of player couldn't be attracted?

Have the days when we acquired Doyle/Kitson/Long/Sidwell/Sonko(all Prem quality) in a narrow transfer window gone ?

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 08 Jan 2017 14:04

Westwood52 I thought the seating was extremely tight-the bloke next to me could do with losing a few pounds, but he wasn't obese-yet he straddled my seat quite a bit-the gaps between the rows was tight as well.

I think it explains why the place holds 76000 without actually looking that big. It's as if the rebuilt the ground on the assumption that every fan has the build of Charles Hawtrey.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 08 Jan 2017 14:52

peterroyal76
Lower West
Westwood52 Moore 5:Got found out

Watching the goals back, all four..........

Was he 'found out' or did he just have a bad game?

I asked my Leicester supporting mate what he thought of Moore when we signed him. He said he looks class in the championship but clueless in the prem hence why they sold him. :(

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 08 Jan 2017 15:12

Westwood52 Have the days when we acquired Doyle/Kitson/Long/Sidwell/Sonko(all Prem quality) in a narrow transfer window gone ?

My early recollections of Doyle was that he far from the finished product i.e. couldn't hit a barn door. Long was simply a raw talent. etc etc etc.

Investing in youngsters then coaching them to play a certain style takes a long time to come to fruition. Bound to be some failures along the way. Early days in what is a long term project. A single summer transfer window and a few months in charge. Isn't enough for the playing management team. Future looks a lot brighter than 12 months ago. (No disrespect to Brian either)

OLLIE KEARNS

by OLLIE KEARNS » 08 Jan 2017 15:48

Them > Very impressed with Rashford. Pace, intelligent movement, touch and hard work. Lucky his finishing was a bit off yesterday ! Aside from that, the way we set up made it an easy afternoon for them. Nice to be present when Rooney achieved a landmark that may never be surpassed at any top flight club in the future and nice that Reading fans recognised that with some light applause.

Us > Most were slightly below par with the exception of McCleary, Evans and Kelly. Not a good day for that to happen. I didn't fancy our chances as soon as I saw that we were going with a back four though given that we don't have a senior full back at the club that really defends well in a back four. I almost felt sorry for Blackett given the 45 minute performance he gave against his former club. An air shot and a couple of shanks can happen but he has no positional sense whatsoever. When Rashford was played in to round Al Habsi he had wandered 20 yards up the pitch into midfield for no apparent reason and then wondered who should have been marking Rashford as he drifted into the channel !
On the other side Gunter was his normal self when he plays against premier league standard players. Got pulled all over the place and kept backing off into the box instead of shutting players down quickly outside the box. Martial v Gunter in the first 20 minutes finished the game off not that it would have made much difference given the overall team performance.

For the rest of the season I hope we see a back 5 against any top 8 side unless we make a Griffin like full back signing or two. Yesterday showed the gulf between the two leagues but we still have every chance of top 6 as a minimum.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 08 Jan 2017 15:57

Westwood To end ; has Director of football done a reasonable job, when over half of the summers acquisitions have proved to be a waste-is this level of return what is acceptable ? Wouldn't it have been better for instance to use both Mendes and Meighte's salary on one really good player ? Or perhaps that level of player couldn't be attracted

How have over half of the summer signings proved to be a waste when we're sat in the play offs and most of them regularly contribute?

Of those brought in only Weiser could be argued to be a waste so far. Mendes is probably the next weakest link but has been injured for part of his time and has never had a real opportunity.

Don't think any of the other acquisitions (Berg, Swift, Jaakkola, Moore, Blackett, Meite, Harriott, Beerens) could be argued to be a waste.

Possibly we could have saved a little bit of money by not bothering with Mendes and/or Meite but not sure who you think we could have got with the money that would have saved.

I think the management did well in the summer esp. considering there was little money available, Stam was a total unknown in management terms and Reading was possibly about as attractive to proven quality players as a trip to the dentist after the last couple of miserable seasons.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 08 Jan 2017 16:33

Jagermesiter1871
peterroyal76
Lower West

I asked my Leicester supporting mate what he thought of Moore when we signed him. He said he looks class in the championship but clueless in the prem hence why they sold him. :(

He needs a manager/coach who can change that and we have just the man!

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 08 Jan 2017 17:52

Sutekh
Westwood To end ; has Director of football done a reasonable job, when over half of the summers acquisitions have proved to be a waste-is this level of return what is acceptable ? Wouldn't it have been better for instance to use both Mendes and Meighte's salary on one really good player ? Or perhaps that level of player couldn't be attracted

How have over half of the summer signings proved to be a waste when we're sat in the play offs and most of them regularly contribute?

Of those brought in only Weiser could be argued to be a waste so far. Mendes is probably the next weakest link but has been injured for part of his time and has never had a real opportunity.

Don't think any of the other acquisitions (Berg, Swift, Jaakkola, Moore, Blackett, Meite, Harriott, Beerens) could be argued to be a waste.

Possibly we could have saved a little bit of money by not bothering with Mendes and/or Meite but not sure who you think we could have got with the money that would have saved.

I think the management did well in the summer esp. considering there was little money available, Stam was a total unknown in management terms and Reading was possibly about as attractive to proven quality players as a trip to the dentist after the last couple of miserable seasons.

I don't think there's a problem with our signings for the main part, but Weiser, Gravenberch and Mendes have barely featured at all. That's three signings. Meite, Jaakola and Harriott show promise but haven'y actually delivered or played a whole lot (I have no problem with that (the first three seem odd signings, especially Mendes). Beerens, JVDB and Blackett get quite mixed reviews, although playing regularly. That leaves Swift and Moore as the clear successes - outnumbered by the so far clear failures in Weiser, Gravenberch and Mendes... if you want to take an overly pessimistic view.

I've probably forgotten someone (I had forgotten several someones).

Of course, it's rather early to judge all signings after six months. After all it took Shane Long almost six years to actually be good, and he's being hailed.

sputnik
Hob Nob Regular
Location: HNA? Prediction League Champion 2014-15, 2018-19, 2021-22

by sputnik » 08 Jan 2017 18:57

Westwood52 the bloke next to me could do with losing a few pounds

bobby1413?

sputnik
Hob Nob Regular
Location: HNA? Prediction League Champion 2014-15, 2018-19, 2021-22

by sputnik » 08 Jan 2017 18:58

or maybe it was blobby1413

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 08 Jan 2017 19:55

Sutekh

+1

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 08 Jan 2017 19:59

sputnik
Westwood52 the bloke next to me could do with losing a few pounds

bobby1413?

:lol:

Vicky Pollard

by Vicky Pollard » 08 Jan 2017 20:50

Jagermesiter1871
peterroyal76
Lower West

I think that's a pretty harsh analysis given he made his debut in the Prem at 21. Clearly he was never going to be the finished article at that point and the pressure for a young player in a CB pairing in the Prem must be pretty intense, especially in a Leicester team which was struggling. He played the first 10 games, was dropped until Morgan got sent off at which point he came back in, but only for one game while Morgan served his ban. Fell out of favour and didn't appear again. I'm willing to suggest he has come a long way since then and the experience will stand him in good stead if he (and we) get there again.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 08 Jan 2017 20:58

West Stand Man
Sutekh

+1

Another +1

First teams players who left last summer: Norwood, Tschibola, Robson-Kanu

First team players signed last summer: Moore, Blackett, Van Den Berg, Swift, Beerens. Promising signs from jaakkola, Harriott & Meite, too.

To be in our position & playing the football we have done, on that budget, is a credit to the DOF and management team.

bracksroyal10

by bracksroyal10 » 08 Jan 2017 23:18

The boys tried and it was always going to be a step too far lets be honest.

Far too much respect shown in the first 20 minutes, it needed Williams to smash Fellaini before everyone decided to battle for the ball. When Kermorgant does pull out wide with the ball, we need to start getting players in the box for when he crosses the ball!

Finally I am basing this on the last few games I have seen but what does Tyler Blackett actually offer us? Gives the ball away frequently and seems to look out of his depth at times. I am struggling to see what he offers us over Obita never mind the fact that he made it through Manchester United's academy :shock:

Guessing there is some potential but other than a couple of games I have not seen it at all!

marlowuk

by marlowuk » 09 Jan 2017 02:54

I was away for Friday evening/Saturday and only returned home to watch the recording of the Man U match on TV (without knowing the result!) followed by watching PNE v Arsenal live. Watching Preston battle to almost secure a replay put our performance into perspective. Whilst Preston gave their Premier League opponents no time on the ball and harried and pressed them all over the pitch, we showed no such urgency and gave Man U (particularly their wingers) acres of space and plenty of time to decide how to use that space! Rooney, Martial, Mata and - particularly - Rashford probably couldn't believe their luck and took full advantage. The game was over in the first 20 minutes!

OK - we missed McShane and, for most of the game, Swift but we never really threatened the Man U goal. We only had one shot on target and even that was (I think) in time added on at the end. I agree that Evans, Kelly and McCleary played reasonably well; that Obita was an improvement on Blackett (who does not impress me at all) and that Swift did OK when he came on. AAH, as has been mentioned before, always threatens to have a mistake in him and I'm glad that is out of his system now for, hopefully, the rest of the season.

I also hope that this comprehensive defeat does not damage our confidence in the league now. It shouldn't and let's see that confirmed with 3 points on Thursday!!

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 09 Jan 2017 09:29

marlowuk I also hope that this comprehensive defeat does not damage our confidence in the league now. It shouldn't and let's see that confirmed with 3 points on Thursday!!

Getting beaten away at OT >>> Losing at home to a relegation threatened championship side

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 09 Jan 2017 13:23

Westwood52 I had to stand up for the whole ninety minutes
Reminds me of the away end at Fratton Park, I went to sit in my seat and because of my height/long legs I couldn't actually get my arse onto the seat. I ended up standing the whole game at the back next to a steward.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 09 Jan 2017 14:53

Without getting too technical on Reading's performance. They were abysmal.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 09 Jan 2017 15:02

No Fixed Abode Without getting too technical on Reading's performance. They were abysmal.

Tad harsh. Utterly abysmal for the first 20 minutes (and unlike some, I would include Kelly, Evans et al in that - defence were headless chickens but the midfield might as well not have been on the pitch at all). And alternating between poor, mediocre and "promising but toothless" for the rest of the game.

150 posts