Tomorrow's Match at Risk? Snow!!

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Tomorrow's Match at Risk? Snow!!

by tmesis » 11 Jan 2017 17:57

Stranded
Royal Ginger Didn't a Doncaster match get called off an hour or so before it was due to start because of snow/ice a few years back?

I remember a game at Barnet in 93 or 94 that was called off about 45 mins before kick off as we were arriving at the ground.

John Motson was there, in the snow, outside the turnstiles, and wearing that coat too.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 11 Jan 2017 18:09

Gunny Fishcake Sure it'll be fine but agree very low crowd thanks to those t*ssers at Sky ruining another great Saturday game

Would have been working this Saturday so thanks to the tossers at SKY for allowing me to see the game.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 11 Jan 2017 18:21

delighted for you......you must miss lots of games?

gazzer, loyal royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Khalifa Cisse sleeps with the light on, not because he is afraid of the dark, but because the dark i

by gazzer, loyal royal » 11 Jan 2017 20:28

Brum Royal
gazzer, loyal royal
Royal Ginger Didn't a Doncaster match get called off an hour or so before it was due to start because of snow/ice a few years back?

A Newcastle game was called off due to health and safety concerns outside the ground a few years back

Sunderland away

Nope that was a waterlogged pitch, this was definitely a home game where it snowed

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 11 Jan 2017 20:53

I remember the 1962-3 season on, if I remember right Boxing Day, the game being abandoned at Elm Park at half time due to a sudden snowfall. That snow led to many more games being postponed as it did not thaw for two or three months! The season had to be extended to fit in all the rearranged fixtures. My memory not being what it was, can anyone remember who we were playing against or the half time score and who won the match later in the season? The roads quickly became so treacherous, that it took me about five hours to drive back to Windsor, most of the way being in the dark.

The Cap
Hob Nob Regular

by The Cap » 11 Jan 2017 22:46

QPR away a few seasons ago. Absolutely lashed down before the game. We were tucked up in the Springbok (what a beautiful British boozer) when the lads suddenly burst through the doors, looking like drowned rats, announcing that they thought the match was off. And how right they were. Just a few unhappy punters, to say the least.

Mike Hunt
Hob Nob Regular

by Mike Hunt » 12 Jan 2017 02:21

tidus_mi2 Meh, if the Derby game 6 years ago went ahead, I'm sure this one will.

My only ever away day!

I've only been to 1 home game mind

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 12 Jan 2017 07:05

Stranded

I remember a game at Barnet in 93 or 94 that was called off about 45 mins before kick off as we were arriving at the ground.

Not snow, but went to Rotherham when the game was called off for a waterlogged pitch.
We'd arrived at the ground and the pitch was under water and could have been called off hours before.

Watched the team play some 5-side in the indoor facilities

Cypry

by Cypry » 12 Jan 2017 08:56

http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/footb ... ed-4230760

Can't see tonight being called off unless traffic becomes an issue elsewhere in Reading
http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/local- ... ll-4232002

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 12 Jan 2017 09:06

The Doncaster game I was thinking of was a frozen pitch at the Keepmoat in the last promotion season.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 12 Jan 2017 09:12

Forecast only suggested rain in the early afternoon and maybe a little bit of snow about 4pm. Game should be fine, just hope any that falls and the relatively strong winds doesnt become a leveller

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 12 Jan 2017 09:32

Mike Hunt
tidus_mi2 Meh, if the Derby game 6 years ago went ahead, I'm sure this one will.

My only ever away day!

I was living in Derby at the time so had no problems making the game, I recall the coaches had to turn round because of the travel conditions. At the end of the game Shane Long came over to give his shirt to the away fans, pretty sure he was coming my way and then some big dude just barged me out the way.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 12 Jan 2017 09:50

I was thinking back to that era the other day. Crazy to think we had Long, Antonio, Sigurdsson & Bertrand in the squad. And we struggled!

The Informant

by The Informant » 12 Jan 2017 13:35

1400 HOURS 1500 HOURS 1600 HOURS 1700 HOURS 1800 HOURS 1900 HOURS 2000 HOURS
Heavy Rain Heavy Rain Heavy Rain Heavy Snow Heavy Snow Heavy Snow Light Snow

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 12 Jan 2017 15:29

tidus_mi2
Mike Hunt

My only ever away day!

I was living in Derby at the time so had no problems making the game, I recall the coaches had to turn round because of the travel conditions. At the end of the game Shane Long came over to give his shirt to the away fans, pretty sure he was coming my way and then some big dude just barged me out the way.

Went on the train that day and only got there for the second half. Most of the squad had to get the train home with us.

What about that Wrexham away match circa 2001?

Mike Hunt
Hob Nob Regular

by Mike Hunt » 14 Jan 2017 00:40

John Smith
tidus_mi2
Mike Hunt
My only ever away day!

Went on the train that day and only got there for the second half. Most of the squad had to get the train home with us.

What about that Wrexham away match circa 2001?

Yep I was at the train station with the guys, but I was too star struck to speak to them.

Managed to tell Jem he had a good game and shake his hand. Was standing around with Tabby and Antonio, some fans were asking about Tabbs horses and such. Man i felt like a giddy teenage girl.

Mind you I had come over from Australia to see them, and it was my second game. Was a cracking away win looking back at it.