BTFS - QPR

135 posts
Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

Re: BTFS - QPR

by Jagermesiter1871 » 03 Jan 2018 22:17

Muskrat Ugh? You've lost me there I'm afraid. You appear to imply that playing shit football finishing third in a league table are mutually exclusive, which clearly they're not. Hang yourself with your own logic I suppose...

Exactly. So what is your point? It was generally accepted last year that we were playing shit football, but we were winning. This year we're playing shit football and losing. That's the key difference but everyone is acutely aware of that. Whats your insight?

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 03 Jan 2018 22:38

That we play shit football and now we’ve been found out?

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 03 Jan 2018 22:56

leon That we play shit football and now we’ve been found out?

I'm not sure that we've been "found out". Teams learned to park the bus against us and stop us playing very quickly last year, and I don't think they are doing anything differently this season.

We, on the other hand, and doing everything worse than last season. A lot of that is due to a lack of confidence, much of which has been caused by defending poorly this year, and being hopeless up front - in contrast to Kermogant's great season last year.

There are other things too. Last year, when we lost the ball, we really fought to get it back as soon as possible. This year, we barely bother, rarely win 2nd balls etc, and even with five in midfield, we rarely dominate midfield either. The days of us being able to pass the ball around in the middle are gone.

The players look like they've lost faith, and maybe having too many players in certain positions has meant some of the squad have gone into a sulk. Even when players come off the bench, they rarely look like they are trying to stake a claim for a place.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 03 Jan 2018 23:00

and a total lack of leadership.....both sides of those chalked lines hasn’t inspired much teamwork

Just becoming journeymen....I just feel sorry for the permanent staff (groundstaff, security etc) whose jobs may in jeopardy should the crowd figures continue to fall.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Jan 2018 12:33

Muskrat Ugh? You've lost me there I'm afraid. You appear to imply that playing shit football finishing third in a league table are mutually exclusive, which clearly they're not. Hang yourself with your own logic I suppose...

You didn't say playing shit football, you said shit performances and shit.

Being shit, and many shit performances are mutually exclusive with finishing 3rd.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 04 Jan 2018 14:57

Shit out of luck.

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 04 Jan 2018 18:49

Snowflake Royal

Being shit, and many shit performances are mutually exclusive with finishing 3rd.

That must rate as the most LOLame straw clutching nit-picking ever in the history of HNA? and that really is saying something :D

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 04 Jan 2018 22:29

tmesis
The players look like they've lost faith, and maybe having too many players in certain positions has meant some of the squad have gone into a sulk. Even when players come off the bench, they rarely look like they are trying to stake a claim for a place.

Interesting point.

Tim Dellor or maybe Adie pointed out after Omar Richards had an absolute blinder that it would crush the confidence of the whole team if he isn't chosen again.

Of course he wasn't chosen again and the horrific liability that is Blackett was I think chosen ahead of him.

So having a lot of players could be an issue, but that could be compounded by never having the confidence that playing well will keep you in the side. Big squad, I might play well but it will count for nothing... Why bother. This is all possibly further worsened by Stam STILL not having the foggiest idea of his best team.

He has an idea of his favourite system though at least. Unfortunately it's the one system that's proving to be awful.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 05 Jan 2018 08:52

Muskrat
Snowflake Royal

That must rate as the most LOLame straw clutching nit-picking ever in the history of HNA? and that really is saying something :D

You're having a go at Ian for nit-picking when you bumped a year-old match thread in a season where we finished 3rd.

Where's my irony meter...

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 05 Jan 2018 09:49

genome
Muskrat
Snowflake Royal You didn't say playing shit football, you said shit performances and shit.

You're having a go at Ian for nit-picking when you bumped a year-old match thread in a season where we finished 3rd.

I think you need to check the meaning of irony. There's absolutely nothing ironic about reminding people that a lot of the football that we played last year was turgid and boring. This season that same style has badly affected our confidence, results and attendances, leading to many fans calling for Stam to be sacked (61% in the latest in/out poll?). The point I am making is that the writing was on the wall last season, if only people were willing to open their eyes and see it.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 05 Jan 2018 10:00

Muskrat
genome
Muskrat

I think you need to check the meaning of irony. There's absolutely nothing ironic about reminding people that a lot of the football that we played last year was turgid and boring. This season that same style has badly affected our confidence, results and attendances, leading to many fans calling for Stam to be sacked (61% in the latest in/out poll?). The point I am making is that the writing was on the wall last season, if only people were willing to open their eyes and see it.

The writing wasn't on the wall last season. We had some dodgy results, but we deserved to be 3rd at the end of the season.

Since last season we've lost Reid, Williams, Al-Habsi, recruited too many players (some of which are underperforming), and the players from last season suffered a drop in confidence due to a playoff final defeat and subsequent hangover.

Too much has happened to contribute it to just one factor (ie the style of play). And it certainly smells of arrogance to just to waltz in here and say you were right all along. :roll:

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 05 Jan 2018 10:33

genome
Muskrat
genome

The writing wasn't on the wall last season. We had some dodgy results, but we deserved to be 3rd at the end of the season.

Since last season we've lost Reid, Williams, Al-Habsi, recruited too many players (some of which are underperforming), and the players from last season suffered a drop in confidence due to a playoff final defeat and subsequent hangover.

Too much has happened to contribute it to just one factor (ie the style of play). And it certainly smells of arrogance to just to waltz in here and say you were right all along. :roll:

All I can suggest is that you add "arrogance" to the list of words to check the meaning of. No arrogance on my part, just saying what I beleive to be true. And I largely agree with what you say about the numerous reasons for our poor form this season such as player loss etc (although not so much the play-off hangover thing, I don't really buy into that psycholobabble) but it's the manager's responsibilty to address these issues and he has patently failed to do so, whilst persevering with a style of play that the fans and it seems, the players have become disillusioned with and have lost confidence in.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Jan 2018 11:03

tbf Muskrat, I think all of us were fearful right up until we made it to the play offs that the team could easily stumble upon a run like they are in now.

I think the main thing is QPR was one of only a couple of games when we actually did fall behind at home last year, and we saw how that turned out. The only other I can think of was against a useless and already relegated Rotherham , and even that ended up as a struggle

The huge difference this year is we keep giving ridiculous goals away, and are therefore chasing the game (badly). The QPR performance from last year is very much the blueprint for this year's home displays.

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 05 Jan 2018 14:26

Hound tbf Muskrat, I think all of us were fearful right up until we made it to the play offs that the team could easily stumble upon a run like they are in now.

I think the main thing is QPR was one of only a couple of games when we actually did fall behind at home last year, and we saw how that turned out. The only other I can think of was against a useless and already relegated Rotherham , and even that ended up as a struggle

The huge difference this year is we keep giving ridiculous goals away, and are therefore chasing the game (badly). The QPR performance from last year is very much the blueprint for this year's home displays.

Can't disagree with any of that tbf.

double d

by double d » 05 Jan 2018 16:34

Prophetic

135 posts