Possession Football!

pwb

Possession Football!

by pwb » 15 Jan 2017 15:31

Well! after seeing the Everton - Man City match finish 4-0 to Everton and Man City having 71% possession, I am starting to doubt possession football works in the English game? :roll:

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Possession Football!

by Mid Sussex Royal » 15 Jan 2017 15:43

That's why we are 4th in the table

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 15 Jan 2017 16:13

pwb Well! after seeing the Everton - Man City match finish 4-0 to Everton and Man City having 71% possession, I am starting to doubt possession football works in the English game? :roll:

:|

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 15 Jan 2017 16:35

We need a box to box midfielder who can goebbels up the miles.

Ah sorry wrong thread.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 15 Jan 2017 16:46

leon We need a box to box midfielder who can goebbels up the miles.

Ah sorry wrong thread.

Maybe you should concentrate next time

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 15 Jan 2017 16:59

genome
leon We need a box to box midfielder who can goebbels up the miles.

Ah sorry wrong thread.

Maybe you should concentrate next time

Ffs. Had enough of this crap I'm going for a shower...

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 15 Jan 2017 18:15

pwb Well! after seeing the Everton - Man City match finish 4-0 to Everton and Man City having 71% possession, I am starting to doubt possession football works in the English game? :roll:

I think you'll find they have players capable of playing that passing game and not just passing it backwards

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 15 Jan 2017 19:01

1 defeat in a string of good results and suddenly our style of play isn't working.

We're 4th with a game in hand over most around us, get a grip.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 15 Jan 2017 19:13

Agreed on that one tidus. Twitter has been particularly ridiculous.

We've gone from a promotion charge and everything being rosey on 2nd January to a complete meltdown, looming administration, the manager is definitely leaving, an imminent slide down the league and the club's future is in trouble.

It beggars belief.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 15 Jan 2017 19:54

LOL @ our fans. Halfway through the season, expectations were try to finish top half, yet we've already won more games than we did in the entire of last season and are comfortably in the play offs. Yet lose two games to Manchester Utd and QPR and the world is going to end. Bedwetters.

pwb

by pwb » 15 Jan 2017 20:32

Where in my post did I say the wheels were coming off! All I was saying is that I was starting to doubt possession football in this country.

I myself have been enjoying our new style of football, albeit a little frustrating at times when we are not moving forward quickly enough.

RFC had been getting compared rightly or wrongly to Man City & Barcelona and when both teams are not running away with their respective leagues, then you can understand why I am stating to doubt possession football!

I'm hoping Stam stick to his guns and gets the backing he deserves.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 15 Jan 2017 21:04

Exactly. Ian is the bedwetter.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 15 Jan 2017 21:10

Our possession football is just a style of play. It is not the be all and end all.

There is no reason why we can't be successful with it. But we need good players and plenty of work at Hogwood.
There are lots of factors that make a good football team.

Usually the teams that have the best players tend to do the best.

We have a good manager and he is doing a good job. Let's cut him some slack. My expectations this season were that we should finish fourth. We are doing exactly that and much better. We're fourth from top and not fourth from bottom as per my pre season expectation. As far as I'm concerned we are having an incredibly successful season. My hopes have been exceeded.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 15 Jan 2017 21:15

pwb Where in my post did I say the wheels were coming off! All I was saying is that I was starting to doubt possession football in this country.

I myself have been enjoying our new style of football, albeit a little frustrating at times when we are not moving forward quickly enough.

RFC had been getting compared rightly or wrongly to Man City & Barcelona and when both teams are not running away with their respective leagues, then you can understand why I am stating to doubt possession football!

I'm hoping Stam stick to his guns and gets the backing he deserves.

Man City didn't lose because they played possession football, they lost because they tried, and failed.

Where in the remit of "possession based football" does it constitute consistently giving the ball away by being soft in the challenge, misplaced passes, and a lack of communication.

Watching City today reminded me in some ways of us against QPR. It wasn't the fact that we trying to keep the ball, it was that on the day we were shocking at it, couple that with some pretty mediocre (at best) defending and there's only going to be one result.

Its part and parcel of keeping the ball in the opposition third that you're more susceptible to getting counter attacked, Everton were very clinical today, it's just a good thing QPR weren't.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 15 Jan 2017 21:51

Possession football has been dying for a few years now, not just in England but everywhere.

Teams know how to counter it now. I think we will find it more difficult in the second half of the season, now everyone has played us and got used to how we are trying to play, to impose our style.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 15 Jan 2017 23:22

Man City are lacking a quality keeper and defenders. Work in progress. Same as Reading. We need young talented players that Stam can mould into the style of play. .

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 16 Jan 2017 08:27

Watching Man City was absolutely painful (but joyful at the same time). Is Pep really "[one of] the best" coaches in the world? I know it's far too early to be judging but I think the expectation and hype is going to far outweigh the results they get.

I hate the whole "play from the back" sh-*t teams seem to do now. I can see it's benefits sometimes. But yesterday clearly just wasn't right.

Everton rightly were just closing them down non stop, not even a seconds breathing space.

So the ball went GK, to defender, back to dodgy keeper, to other defender..... back to GK, back to defender and then no where to go due to Everton players. So ball smashed out for a throw in.

Repeatedly.

It was one of the best games I've seen in the last couple of months (along with spurs and West Brom). Seeing a proper team effort, younger players, never stopping was great.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 16 Jan 2017 08:59

sandman Possession football has been dying for a few years now, not just in England but everywhere.

Teams know how to counter it now. I think we will find it more difficult in the second half of the season, now everyone has played us and got used to how we are trying to play, to impose our style.

So far this season in the PL, the team with the most possession has won more than 60% of the non-drawn games. Don't think it's a hospital case just yet.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 16 Jan 2017 09:33

Ian Royal LOL @ our fans. Halfway through the season, expectations were try to finish top half, yet we've already won more games than we did in the entire of last season and are comfortably in the play offs. Yet lose two games to Manchester Utd and QPR and the world is going to end. Bedwetters.

http://thetilehurstend.sbnation.com/201 ... ampionship

"Reading FC are at the cross-roads"
"Events on and off the field have created a mini crisis"
"When I look at the current Reading team they look deficient at both ends of the pitch."

:lol: :lol:

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 16 Jan 2017 10:44

Since when has one league defeat constituted a drop in form ffs?*

I can understand a slight concern because it's 3 poor performances in a row culminating in a home defeat in which we failed to score against mediocre opposition, and all played under the umbrella of uncertainty regarding the ownership situation.

But oxf*rd my life. Get a grip. Even if we lose the next 2 games it's still not the end of the world, but this team has shown it can bounce back this season from poor performances and results - so why not now?

*yes yes I do realise it's semantics and technically any result which is worse than the current trend of games is a "drop in form" but you know what I'm getting at.