Possession Football!

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Possession Football!

by Top Flight » 17 Jan 2017 13:06

Rollerbob
genome
Top Flight I can't think of anyone else in the Championship or half the Premiership that I would rather have in his position.

rofl

Top Flight strikes again

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

This is on par with "McDermott is a tactical genius and should never have been sacked"

McDermott was and is a tactical genius Rollerbob. You do not win the championship title from the position that we were in, with the hand that he'd been dealt without being an absolute oxford genius! McDermott remains the second greatest manager that Reading FC have ever had. He was a great judge of playing talent, a good motivator and superb manager.

Look at some of his tactical and managerial achievements. Outwitting experienced Premier League managers and knocking them out of the FA Cup. Tony Pulis outwitted by Brian, Rafa outwitted by Brian, Moyes outwitted by Brian. Unfortunately against Palace, Cooper and Mike Deane outwitted by Bolasie (the cheating pcunt).

Must win crunch games away to Southampton, Adkins outwitted by Brian (I admit that's not hard). Allardyce and West Ham outwitted by Brian. The man is a fricking genius.

There was no disgrace in our relegation from the Premier League that year. Our players simply weren't good enough. Much like Sean Dyche's Burnley. Dyche came down and took Burnley straight back up. Dyche is a good manager and so is Brian.

He deserves proper respect does our Brian and he will always be welcome in Reading as far as I'm concerned. I will always look back fondly on Brian's reign as our manager. They were definitely the good old days. He would have restored the good old days had he been given the chance. Just look at our current side and you can see Brian's influence everywhere.

The outstanding right back Chris Gunter better than all championship and half the premiership right backs signed by Brian.
Up and coming midfield talent in George Evans. Signed by Brian.
Wing superstar Garath McLeary signed by Brian.
The best header of the ball in the Championship and superb striker Yann Kermorgant who Stam is failing to get the best out of because of our long build up play and inability to get decent service into the box. Signed by Brian.
Obita, best attacking left back in the Championship, scouted and recruited by Brian.
Denniss Rakels, the fox in the box with the deadly finish. Another Brian signing.
Last edited by Top Flight on 17 Jan 2017 13:24, edited 1 time in total.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 17 Jan 2017 13:16

Top Flight Obita, best attacking left back in the Championship

Jesus christ, you are killing me today

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 17 Jan 2017 13:46

Top Flight
The outstanding right back Chris Gunter better than all championship and half the premiership right backs signed by Brian.
The best header of the ball in the Championship and superb striker Yann Kermorgant who Stam is failing to get the best out of because of our long build up play and inability to get decent service into the box. Signed by Brian.
Obita, best attacking left back in the Championship, scouted and recruited by Brian.
Denniss Rakels, the fox in the box with the deadly finish. Another Brian signing.

I want whatever you are on.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 17 Jan 2017 15:03

Top Flight
Rollerbob
genome
rofl

Top Flight strikes again

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

This is on par with "McDermott is a tactical genius and should never have been sacked"

McDermott was and is a tactical genius Rollerbob. You do not win the championship title from the position that we were in, with the hand that he'd been dealt without being an absolute oxford genius! McDermott remains the second greatest manager that Reading FC have ever had. He was a great judge of playing talent, a good motivator and superb manager.

Look at some of his tactical and managerial achievements. Outwitting experienced Premier League managers and knocking them out of the FA Cup. Tony Pulis outwitted by Brian, Rafa outwitted by Brian, Moyes outwitted by Brian. Unfortunately against Palace, Cooper and Mike Deane outwitted by Bolasie (the cheating pcunt).

Must win crunch games away to Southampton, Adkins outwitted by Brian (I admit that's not hard). Allardyce and West Ham outwitted by Brian. The man is a fricking genius.

There was no disgrace in our relegation from the Premier League that year. Our players simply weren't good enough. Much like Sean Dyche's Burnley. Dyche came down and took Burnley straight back up. Dyche is a good manager and so is Brian.

He deserves proper respect does our Brian and he will always be welcome in Reading as far as I'm concerned. I will always look back fondly on Brian's reign as our manager. They were definitely the good old days. He would have restored the good old days had he been given the chance. Just look at our current side and you can see Brian's influence everywhere.

Ohhhhh. You're taking the piss.

I get it now. Ha ha, good one Top Flight, you had us going for a minute.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 17 Jan 2017 15:07

Ian Royal
NewCorkSeth
paultheroyal We should concentrate on possession in the attacking half... keep the ball and probe. At the back, get it out.... be interesting to know how many points lost from goals conceded by mistakes in our own half like on Thursday.

From the limited footage I have seen (please feel free to correct me) there has only been one problem with our style of play in our own half and that is individual errors.
If, as I suspect, we have an increase in errors leading to goals I would suggest that is down to the tactical comfortability rather than a result of the tactic itself.
The more we persist with the tactic the more accomplished our defenders will be at utilising it which should lead to the error rate dropping.

QPR was a cluster of poor performances and some selection issues. It was not an example of a system not working.

This makes no sense. :lol:

The Informant

by The Informant » 17 Jan 2017 15:34

Ian Roflyal :lol:

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 17 Jan 2017 15:57

genome
Top Flight Obita, best attacking left back in the Championship

Jesus christ, you are killing me today

Obita plays like a fan who won a competition to have a run out with a professional team.....and now won't go home.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 17 Jan 2017 16:10

No Fixed Abode
Ian Royal
NewCorkSeth
From the limited footage I have seen (please feel free to correct me) there has only been one problem with our style of play in our own half and that is individual errors.
If, as I suspect, we have an increase in errors leading to goals I would suggest that is down to the tactical comfortability rather than a result of the tactic itself.
The more we persist with the tactic the more accomplished our defenders will be at utilising it which should lead to the error rate dropping.

QPR was a cluster of poor performances and some selection issues. It was not an example of a system not working.

What? Ian Royals comment makes perfect sense.. Are you seriously suggesting a system should include only good performances?? How could you account for that?

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 17 Jan 2017 16:33

NewCorkSeth
No Fixed Abode
Ian Royal

What? Ian Royals comment makes perfect sense.. Are you seriously suggesting a system should include only good performances?? How could you account for that?

But the system Reading played didn't work did it? The same with the Manchester United game. Granted overall this season the system has worked, but some teams, like United and QPR played in a way to nullify Reading by doing their homework properly. It's a bit obnoxious to suggest they only won because players were off form or some out injured.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 17 Jan 2017 16:47

No Fixed Abode
NewCorkSeth
No Fixed Abode

But the system Reading played didn't work did it? The same with the Manchester United game. Granted overall this season the system has worked, but some teams, like United and QPR played in a way to nullify Reading by doing their homework properly. It's a bit obnoxious to suggest they only won because players were off form or some out injured.

Ah I see what you mean now but I respectfully disagree that a system effectiveness should be judges on a match by match basis. There are many external factors which could see a successful system (football tactic) fail.

To suggest our system failed because the team was beaten by Man Utd is ridiculous.

Spurs beat Chelsea thoroughly but I wouldnt say Chelseas system is failing by any means.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 17 Jan 2017 18:33

Against QPR, our team wasn't set up the way it normally is.

We didn't have Evans or Van den Berg in the defensive midfielder role and our team lost its usual shape and organisation as a result.
We just weren't our usual selves. Put Evans back into midfield and everything will be back to normal again.

QPR was the first time this season that neither Evans nor Van den Berg sat in the holding midfield role in front of the back four. That's why our system broke down against QPR. It was as simple as that.

Y21
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Y21 » 18 Jan 2017 11:28

Possession football may well be the current thing that all teams aspire too, but it's bloody dull to watch.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 18 Jan 2017 14:54

Top Flight Against QPR, our team wasn't set up the way it normally is.

We didn't have Evans or Van den Berg in the defensive midfielder role and our team lost its usual shape and organisation as a result.
We just weren't our usual selves. Put Evans back into midfield and everything will be back to normal again.

QPR was the first time this season that neither Evans nor Van den Berg sat in the holding midfield role in front of the back four. That's why our system broke down against QPR. It was as simple as that.

So the system didn't work? 8)

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 18 Jan 2017 15:00

Odd to pick two games where we just didn't play the system that has been successful. The system itself didn't fail, we just didn't use it.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 18 Jan 2017 15:09

Nameless Odd to pick two games where we just didn't play the system that has been successful. The system itself didn't fail, we just didn't use it.

The system used on the day failed and you still tried to play possession football.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 18 Jan 2017 15:13

Not at Old Trafford.
Not for most of the game against QPR.

Not that it matters.....

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 19 Jan 2017 09:35

No Fixed Abode

No, because the system was set up differently to how it usually is.

This is why I see the QPR result as an isolated one off poor performance. What happened against QPR does not signal the beginning of a decline.

The team will be set up differently against Derby and the team will perform much better and will be more likely to achieve a positive result.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 19 Jan 2017 10:06

Top Flight
No Fixed Abode

No, because the system was set up differently to how it usually is.

This is why I see the QPR result as an isolated one off poor performance. What happened against QPR does not signal the beginning of a decline.

The team will be set up differently against Derby and the team will perform much better and will be more likely to achieve a positive result.

So was the system different at Fulham, Newcastle, Brentford, Villa (home) and Leeds?

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 19 Jan 2017 10:11

Kes in inability to grasp that sometimes teams lose football matches shocker......

Anyone heard of a 'system' so perfect teams never lose ?

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 19 Jan 2017 10:27

Did Chelsea change their system for the Spurs match?