BFTG - Fulham Home

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

Re: BFTG - Fulham Home

by Top Flight » 25 Jan 2017 11:45

Nameless Nightmare from Topflight re the 'missed sitters'

No only was Martin offside for his but when McCleary missed his the lino was already flagging that Beerens was offside when he crossed it, so that one was even less of a missed chance !

Oh Man. My first reaction to that was that it was offside as well. But again, I got confused with the position that the kick was taken from. It looked like a goal kick so I drew the same wrong conclusion.

I am definitely having a nightmare on these.

NeilD

by NeilD » 25 Jan 2017 12:06

paultheroyal
LWJ
Top Flight
Was that offside? My first reaction at the time was that it was offside. But then I thought the lino had given a goal kick and the keeper was taking what looked like a goal kick. So then I assumed he must have been onside and it would have counted.

Well then I take that back. No such chance was ever legitimately created.

Yeah it was given by the lino, if it's the one where the ref called it back for not being played out the box before Moore touched it.

Out of interest anyone know why that was? Is it any dead ball for the defending team in their box has to be played outside first? Or had the ref acknowledged the offside but played adv to give a goal kick?

Any defending free kick in penalty area must leave penalty area before it's deemed "in play". Retake if not like last night.

I thought it was only goal kicks that have the law, that the ball is only deemed in-play once it has left the penalty area?
Any free-kick in the penalty area will surely follow normal 10-yard, taker can't touch until 2nd player has touched it set of laws?

OLLIE KEARNS

by OLLIE KEARNS » 25 Jan 2017 12:06

Top Flight We don't seem to have a player that can deal with Fredriks. Blackett got skinned by him every time. Stam then tried out Thiago and he couldn't live with him either. I wonder how Obita would have fared against Fulham's speedy wingman?

Just read a few of your posts. You're either having a really bad day or on a wind up mission. I shall assume the latter ;-) I though Blackett actually did okay last night aside from once in the first half when he got his position all wrong and the ball was played inside him. Ilori if anything fared worse but not as badly as Obita at Fulham. To be fair to him that was in a back four with the defensive cover being Beerens !!
Aside from that I really enjoyed last nights game. I've felt a back 5 is the right option for us for a while now. It allows us to get both Swift and Kelly on the pitch at the same time and it takes some of the defensive pressure off the two full backs neither of whom excel in that department.
The missing piece last night was a genuine striker. McCleary did well but got many of his runs wrong (offside or wrong angles) and Fulham were so open that a proper striker would have got in behind time and time again. With Swift and Kelly's ability we could step up another gear with the option of pace in behind sides.

Will95
Hob Nob Regular

by Will95 » 25 Jan 2017 12:29

Thought that was pretty good in the second half, not much to say on the first half. Kelly, Swift and especially Williams (despite a couple of big mistakes) really impressed me. Two terrible penalties and it's getting seriously concerning how bad we are at it :shock:

Good win for us though, onwards and upwards we go (hopefully)!

East Grinstead Royal

by East Grinstead Royal » 25 Jan 2017 12:31

Goal kicks and free kicks (for the defending team) from the 6 yard box need to leave the penalty area before the ball is in play. And free kicks awarded to the defending team in their 6 yard box can be taken from the edge of that box.

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 25 Jan 2017 12:36

genome Gunter wasn't even the best right back in the game, let alone the league :lol:

+1

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 25 Jan 2017 12:38

paultheroyal
LWJ
Top Flight
Was that offside? My first reaction at the time was that it was offside. But then I thought the lino had given a goal kick and the keeper was taking what looked like a goal kick. So then I assumed he must have been onside and it would have counted.

Well then I take that back. No such chance was ever legitimately created.

Yeah it was given by the lino, if it's the one where the ref called it back for not being played out the box before Moore touched it.

Out of interest anyone know why that was? Is it any dead ball for the defending team in their box has to be played outside first? Or had the ref acknowledged the offside but played adv to give a goal kick?

Any defending free kick in penalty area must leave penalty area before it's deemed "in play". Retake if not like last night.

Our players and coaches would clearly benefit from a visit by a ref to run through the various laws of the game. Not only were some of our players (and a lot of us fans) clearly not aware of the change to the offside law re position of offence but AAH and Blackett (IIRC) demonstrated by their reaction last night that they weren't aware that all defensive free kicks in the area have to clear the area.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 25 Jan 2017 12:41

Ian Royal Good reads. Interesting to see praise for Williams, who Dellor and Gooding described as out of sorts and off his game.

I really couldn't understand why they were expressing that opinion. Far from looking tired, I thought Williams was the most energetic and effective that I have seen him for ages. Never stopped running.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 25 Jan 2017 12:45

RoyalBlue
Ian Royal Good reads. Interesting to see praise for Williams, who Dellor and Gooding described as out of sorts and off his game.

I really couldn't understand why they were expressing that opinion. Far from looking tired, I thought Williams was the most energetic and effective that I have seen him for ages. Never stopped running.

They described him as unusually flatfooted when receiving the ball, like he was never ready of anticipating it. I think they also said his passing was a bit sloppy. May have been comments from the first half. I wasn't focusing so much second.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 25 Jan 2017 12:49

East Grinstead Royal Goal kicks and free kicks (for the defending team) from the 6 yard box need to leave the penalty area before the ball is in play. And free kicks awarded to the defending team in their 6 yard box can be taken from the edge of that box.

I believe these are the laws:

Free Kick Inside the Penalty Area
Direct or indirect free kick to the defending team:
• all opponents must be at least 9.15 m (10 yds) from the ball
• all opponents must remain outside the penalty area until the ball
is in play
• the ball is in play when it is kicked directly out of the penalty
area
• a free kick awarded in the goal area may be taken from any point
inside that area

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 25 Jan 2017 12:55

bobby1413 Did anyone else take the A329M home towards Bracknell last night?

I did my usual:

Drive from Whitley -> Wokingham Road -> Winnersh Triangle
Onto the A329M

I then started to see lane closed signs and assumed it was on the slip road or temporary. Turns out it was the whole way up to the M4 exists which forced me back onto the M4 back to Junction 11 :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

So I then had to almost repeat the journey, exact this time go up through Wokingham and onto Bracknell.

I saw on Twitter 2-3 people had done the same as me - anyone here?

I got affected by this, I went left at Junction 11 and ended up detouring through Eversley and Finchampstead :x there were no diversion signs at all!

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 25 Jan 2017 13:05

Hound absolutely. Out of the shambles of last season we now have a young exciting team playing decent football. Considering the lack of funds its a fantastic achievement

+1 from someone very annoyed by mcdermotts sacking

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 25 Jan 2017 13:11

royalp-we

I did my usual:

Onto the A329M

I then started to see lane closed signs and assumed it was on the slip road or temporary. Turns out it was the whole way up to the M4 exists which forced me back onto the M4 back to Junction 11 :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

So I then had to almost repeat the journey, exact this time go up through Wokingham and onto Bracknell.

Why do you cut through? Why not just get on the M4 Jct11 which takes about 2/3mins to get to Jct10 A329?

^^^this, never had an issue getting to j11

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 25 Jan 2017 13:18

NeilD
paultheroyal
LWJ Yeah it was given by the lino, if it's the one where the ref called it back for not being played out the box before Moore touched it.

I thought it was only goal kicks that have the law, that the ball is only deemed in-play once it has left the penalty area?
Any free-kick in the penalty area will surely follow normal 10-yard, taker can't touch until 2nd player has touched it set of laws?

You are in-correct.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 25 Jan 2017 13:21

Just watched the extended highlights. I'm not sure how biased they were towards us but it looks like we could've and maybe should've won that by a 2 or 3 goal margin and the Fulham equaliser would've been a bit harsh. Soft penalty for us though.

Some nice moments - particularly enjoyed Liam Kelly winning the ball back from Kalas and a couple of moments from Liam Moore in the 2nd.

WestRoyal

by WestRoyal » 25 Jan 2017 13:33

LWJ
muirinho Obvious sub for Blackett last night would have been for Gunter to swap sides, and Watson to come on, rather than playing Ilori out of position

Obvious.. :?

I think he does trust Watson, he's not been involved much in previous systems but has come in and been the obvious 2nd choice fullback. Every time he has played he has oozed class, and looks to be a real prospect. I would imagine Stam is trying to nurture him and not just throw him in the deep end.

What like he has with Kelly...

WestRoyal

by WestRoyal » 25 Jan 2017 13:42

muirinho
CountryRoyal
Top Flight Also Gunter is the best right back in the championship

Pereira (Forest)
Fredericks (Fulham)
Iorfa (Wolves)
De Laet (Villa)
Bacuna (Villa)
Yedlin (Newcastle)
Jesus Gamez (Newcastle)
Hunt (Wednesday)
Christie (Derby)

When fit you don't think any of these are better than him?

I don't know I'm even humouring you tbh maybe it's because work is slow.

I honestly will rejoice the day Gunter oxf*rd off more than HRK.

Ha, I reckon if you were watching most of those [b]week-in week-out you'd be moaning about them in no time[/b]. There's a reason (and sometimes multiple reasons) why those players are playing in the Championship.

Gunter is not the best RB in the Championship, but he's decent, mostly reliable, and wants to play here. If we get promoted, then we'll need a better one for the PL, but he's just fine for where we are now.

As an example, Fredericks is very fast, but his end-product is sporadic at best. Last time I checked, he had 3 League assists - you'd expect with the way Fulham play, and the number of goals they score, it would be higher. After all Gunter has a goal and 2 assists - so actually has done more attacking-wise.

Spot on, well said. Hi lights don't tell you everything

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 25 Jan 2017 13:43

LWJ I hope our fans don't just use Tiago! Tiago! Tiago! as the choice of song for Tiago. It's all well and good, but why do we need to be so simple :x :x

I didn't go last night, due to cold and fog and lethargy
What happened to "he's magic, you know, never get past Tiago"?
sounded good at Derby

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 25 Jan 2017 13:45

Maneki Neko
royalp-we

I did my usual:

Onto the A329M

Why do you cut through? Why not just get on the M4 Jct11 which takes about 2/3mins to get to Jct10 A329?

^^^this, never had an issue getting to j11

I park up in Whitley and find it quicker/just as easy to travel through Earley to tuns junction and onto A329m down the bottom of Wokingham Road.

Last night either way I would have encountered the same issue I'd presume. That was lack of signage on the A329 to say that access to Bracknell was shut.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 25 Jan 2017 13:47

bcubed
LWJ I hope our fans don't just use Tiago! Tiago! Tiago! as the choice of song for Tiago. It's all well and good, but why do we need to be so simple :x :x

I didn't go last night, due to cold and fog and lethargy
What happened to "he's magic, you know, never get past Tiago"?
sounded good at Derby

Madejski stadium on a cold Tuesday night happened.