Back from the January Transfer Window Sponsored by Yermas Dildo

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Back from the January Transfer Window Sponsored by Yermas Dildo

by NewCorkSeth » 01 Feb 2017 16:20

LWJ
NewCorkSeth The same Reece Oxford who kept Giroud in his pocket when he was 16 on his debut?

Cooper 'kept' Lukaku in his pocket against Everton.. Look where that got him.

Nobody said "Not sure a lad of his stature would fare well against some of the lumps playing CF in the Championship tbf" about Cooper..
#irrelevant.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 01 Feb 2017 16:26

Hound the squad is probably too large now and there will be players who aren't going to get the minutes they possibly deserve, or at least think they deserve.

We'll have handy players like Harriott, Rakels and Watson who might not get another minute in the first team this season,

However, the board have backed Stam to lead us to a challenge for the play offs, and inflated the squad to hopefully limit the impact of any further injuries etc, and fair play to them for that.

I have a bad feeling it might be Evans who unjustly gets less minutes. He was already questionably getting less starts and now that We brought in another CM and its a position that Oxford couls arguably thrive in he may find himself on the bench.

But we will have to wait and see!

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 01 Feb 2017 16:30

NewCorkSeth #irrelevant.

Probably sums up your post history tbf.

If you attended games, especially the last couple where we have faced massive CFs and our current CB paring have struggled against in the air you would probably understand my comment.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 01 Feb 2017 16:39

LWJ
NewCorkSeth #irrelevant.

Probably sums up your post history tbf.

If you attended games, especially the last couple where we have faced massive CFs and our current CB paring have struggled against in the air you would probably understand my comment.

I understand your comment very well. You said he might struggle against powerful strikers many of which are common in the Championship due to his slender frame.
I then suggested he has previously dealt very capably with powerful strikers i.e. Giroud.. who is much, much better than any striker in this division.
Then, on your rebuttal, you suggested out of the blue that because Jake Cooper did well against Lukaku and is not seen as first team material in CB, Oxford is unlikely to be seen as first team material in CB for some mystical and magical reason.

When I pointed that out I guess the only logical step for you was to point out I know nothing about football and wander off in the distance muttering curses under your breath and flipping me off over your shoulder.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 01 Feb 2017 16:59

When it comes to loans does the player have the ability to accept/reject the move like a full transfer?

Or is wholely up to the parent (and loanee) club?

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 01 Feb 2017 17:01

CountryRoyal When it comes to loans does the player have the ability to accept/reject the move like a full transfer?

The player can definitely say no to a loan. Hard to think of examples..

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 01 Feb 2017 17:12

NewCorkSeth I understand your comment very well. You said he might struggle against powerful strikers many of which are common in the Championship due to his slender frame.
I then suggested he has previously dealt very capably with powerful strikers i.e. Giroud.. who is much, much better than any striker in this division.
Then, on your rebuttal, you suggested out of the blue that because Jake Cooper did well against Lukaku and is not seen as first team material in CB, Oxford is unlikely to be seen as first team material in CB for some mystical and magical reason.

When I pointed that out I guess the only logical step for you was to point out I know nothing about football and wander off in the distance muttering curses under your breath and flipping me off over your shoulder.

I gave you an example of a player who has dealt with a Premier league striker and then struggled in the Championship, you called it irrelevant. When really it was a fair comparison. All I have done is give you a view from someone who watches the team week in week out, and has spoken to people behind the scenes about some of the things you have questioned..

Not sure what your last paragraph is about really. It's not anything what has happened here and I don't recall any posts in the past doing any of that. Either you have crossed your wires somewhere, or you are incredibly sensitive?

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 01 Feb 2017 17:14

NewCorkSeth
CountryRoyal When it comes to loans does the player have the ability to accept/reject the move like a full transfer?

The player can definitely say no to a loan. Hard to think of examples..

Because I'm sure from a player's point of view we were certainly a more attractive option than alternatives. Partly due to location, position in the table and playing style, and of course not least because of Stam.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 01 Feb 2017 17:21

LWJ I gave you an example of a player who has dealt with a Premier league striker and then struggled in the Championship, you called it irrelevant. When really it was a fair comparison.

Not sure it was a fair comparison though. The issues Cooper has are not about dealing with the physicality of PL forwards (or Championship ones for that matter) - they are about concentration and focus etc etc. So a good game against Everton just shows he can focus. But we know he can't do it consistently

surely though, being able to deal physically with Giroud isn't something you can turn on or off - if he has the frame to deal with Giroud, then we shouldn't worry that he won't be able to deal physically with Chris Martin. It's not like he was able to grow 2 inches, just for that particular game, because of its importance.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 01 Feb 2017 17:41

LWJ
NewCorkSeth I understand your comment very well. You said he might struggle against powerful strikers many of which are common in the Championship due to his slender frame.

I gave you an example of a player who has dealt with a Premier league striker and then struggled in the Championship, you called it irrelevant. When really it was a fair comparison. All I have done is give you a view from someone who watches the team week in week out, and has spoken to people behind the scenes about some of the things you have questioned..

Not sure what your last paragraph is about really. It's not anything what has happened here and I don't recall any posts in the past doing any of that. Either you have crossed your wires somewhere, or you are incredibly sensitive?

My last paragraph was a vaguely poetic response to the very typical suggestion that my inability to attend games makes it impossible for me to understand your comment. And yes I'm very sensitive today. Especially my right nipple.

You'll excuse my incredulity that we have brought in a 6ft3 CB/DM who has never played a professional game at LB to cover the LB position. If he has then fair enough I was incorrect but it is a little hard to believe considering hes right footed and we have 2 fit players in that position.

Add to that the fact Bilic said the key factor in loaning him out was Stam. Does he want Stam, the former world-class CB, to teach him how to be a LB?

Where we really differ is how Coopers situation is in any way relevant to Oxfords. You suggested Oxfords stature is not one that would fair well against big, lumpy strikers. I suggested he can deal with big, lumpy strikers as is evidenced in the past.

I worked up this nice little dialogue to illustrate why its irrelevant.

Person 1 - *Player A* could struggle to do that in the championship against *Type Z* players.
Person 2 - *Player A* has already shown he can do that against *Type Z* players in the Premiership.
Person 1 - Well *Player B* has done that against a *Type Z* player before and hes not in the team.
Person 2 - So what the F*ck is your point? What part of your rebuttal means *Player A* wont be able to do it in the Championship?
Person 3 - Yeah Person 1, you're making very little sense here.
Person 2 - Cheers Person 3.

Coopers doing well in one match against a big, lumpy striker bears so little relation to the original comment I think my hashtag still stands.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 01 Feb 2017 17:45

muirinho
LWJ I gave you an example of a player who has dealt with a Premier league striker and then struggled in the Championship, you called it irrelevant. When really it was a fair comparison.

Not sure it was a fair comparison though. The issues Cooper has are not about dealing with the physicality of PL forwards (or Championship ones for that matter) - they are about concentration and focus etc etc. So a good game against Everton just shows he can focus. But we know he can't do it consistently

surely though, being able to deal physically with Giroud isn't something you can turn on or off - if he has the frame to deal with Giroud, then we shouldn't worry that he won't be able to deal physically with Chris Martin. It's not like he was able to grow 2 inches, just for that particular game, because of its importance.

I wrote my dialogue down below before reading this comment. Person 3 was not inspired by you.
+1 to your post for obvious reasons.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 Feb 2017 17:50

Not wanting to stoke that argument up again, but Thought it was Ozil he marked not Giroud

I thought the back 5 vs Cardiff dealt very comfortably with their big lumps. Sure if we were playing a particularly physical side we could always switch back to Moore/McShane/Blackett

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 01 Feb 2017 17:55

Hound Not wanting to stoke that argument up again, but Thought it was Ozil he marked not Giroud

I thought the back 5 vs Cardiff dealt very comfortably with their big lumps. Sure if we were playing a particularly physical side we could always switch back to Moore/McShane/Blackett

He screened the defense as I recall often having to deal with Giroud outside the box. Anyway he had 2 pockets.

Dennis the Butler
Location: Wallowing in the Premiership glory ... oh bollox !!

by Dennis the Butler » 01 Feb 2017 18:33

Have to say I regard Mendes and Weiser as "wasted" signings but I do feel a bit sorry for Gravenberch .. he's never been given a chance to show what he can do, very much like Fernandez last season ..

RichTea94

by RichTea94 » 01 Feb 2017 19:23

Grabban takes the number 50 shirt.

Mutch takes the number 54.

Makes me a bit uncomfortable tbh!

Broxroyal

by Broxroyal » 01 Feb 2017 19:47

Agree with the sentiment of the OP. We made 11 signings in the summer and 8 of those were good or have the potential to be good. That's not a bad effort but the three mentioned have been a waste and it is a pity we couldn't have shifted them (even on loan) this window.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 01 Feb 2017 20:08

LWJ I think Mendes has struggled with fitness/adapting to English football and has also just had a child. I would imagine he is still one who will be involved.

Gravenberch wasn't Stam's signing so was always going to struggle.

Weiser I think we can agree is a failure.

Agree with that on Mendes. Childbirth really takes it out of you.