Rival Watch

17237 posts
harry
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Rival Watch

by harry » 17 Apr 2017 19:24

genome
paultheroyal Congratulations to Brighton.

Hughton really is a fantastic manager.

+1

They've been immense this season.

Much as I wanted them to come unstuck they have been decent most of the season & they deserve to go up. Hughton is a good manager. Dreadfully sacked by Newcastle. Fair play to Siddy, Murray & Norwood.

harry
Hob Nob Regular

by harry » 17 Apr 2017 19:25

genome
Hound Back to our 'false third' spot I've enjoyed us in so much this season

To be fair, Leeds are in false 7th. They could yet threaten the top two once the final table comes in, and points adjustments have been made for attendances.

Don't forget history and attitude

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 17 Apr 2017 19:30

genome Zola has resigned :lol:

What a bottle job.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 17 Apr 2017 19:31

Norwich also got rid of him for no real reason.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 17 Apr 2017 19:36

NewCorkSeth Norwich also got rid of him for no real reason.

Norwich got rid of him because of their lowly league position at the time but chiefly because the brand of football they were playing at the time was utterly dire. Try and sneak a goal away from home then park the bus, pretty much the same thing at home.

For some reason Norwich fans seem to think their team should play entertaining football and under Hughton that did not happen in the Premiership. The suspicion remains that Hughton is good in the Champ but finds the step up a bridge too far.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 17 Apr 2017 19:43

Norfolk Royal

Norwich got rid of him because of their lowly league position at the time but chiefly because the brand of football they were playing at the time was utterly dire. Try and sneak a goal away from home then park the bus, pretty much the same thing at home.

For some reason Norwich fans seem to think their team should play entertaining football and under Hughton that did not happen in the Premiership. The suspicion remains that Hughton is good in the Champ but finds the step up a bridge too far.

Wasnt he in a similar position to Adkins when he was sacked by Southampton? A handful of points outside the relegation zone? I mean in his first season up with them they finished 11th. I seem to remember thinking they just bought poorly in their second season.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 17 Apr 2017 19:57

NewCorkSeth
Norfolk Royal

Wasnt he in a similar position to Adkins when he was sacked by Southampton? A handful of points outside the relegation zone? I mean in his first season up with them they finished 11th. I seem to remember thinking they just bought poorly in their second season.

Yes, they weren't in the relegation zone when they sacked Hughton. It was simply that they had been playing such awful football for a long period of time and seemed on an inexorable downward spiral with no sign of improvement despite picking up points here and there. Tactically Hughton appeared paralysed with fear about going forward and that did for him in the end.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 17 Apr 2017 20:01

Norfolk Royal
NewCorkSeth
Norfolk Royal

Yes, they weren't in the relegation zone when they sacked Hughton. It was simply that they had been playing such awful football for a long period of time and seemed on an inexorable downward spiral with no sign of improvement despite picking up points here and there. Tactically Hughton appeared paralysed with fear about going forward and that did for him in the end.

Fair enough! I presume you know a lot more about that part of the globe than I do. TBH I would be terrified of going forward if Grant Holt and Ricky van Dogsc*ck were my main striking options.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 17 Apr 2017 20:08

NewCorkSeth
Norfolk Royal
NewCorkSeth Wasnt he in a similar position to Adkins when he was sacked by Southampton? A handful of points outside the relegation zone? I mean in his first season up with them they finished 11th. I seem to remember thinking they just bought poorly in their second season.

Fair enough! I presume you know a lot more about that part of the globe than I do. TBH I would be terrified of going forward if Grant Holt and Ricky van Dogsc*ck were my main striking options.

Norwich fans loved Grant Holt, he was a real talisman. Van Wolfswinkel never got going and never looked like any sort of player despite the £8-million they spaffed on him. Although, interesting to note he is now scoring goals for fun.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 17 Apr 2017 20:25

harry
genome

+1

Much as I wanted them to come unstuck they have been decent most of the season & they deserve to go up. Hughton is a good manager. Dreadfully sacked by Newcastle. Fair play to Siddy, Murray & Norwood.

Grudging congrats to Brighton

And well done Sidwell and Norwood
Last edited by bcubed on 17 Apr 2017 20:37, edited 1 time in total.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 17 Apr 2017 20:30

I think one more point realistically seals a playoff spot for us.

Has anyone ever amassed 80 points and finished 7th? Considering Stoke went up with 79 points in 2007/08 in 2nd place that'd be madness if we missed out on our points tally

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 17 Apr 2017 20:32

I don't have massive respect but fair play to Brighton. Definitely deserve a shot in the premier league and consistently been solid and decent this season. Let's hope we can win these playoffs and join them!

Kev in Bracknell

by Kev in Bracknell » 17 Apr 2017 20:57

[quote="Royal_jimmy"]I don't have massive respect but fair play to Brighton. Definitely deserve a shot in the premier league and consistently been solid and decent this season. Let's hope we can win these playoffs and join them!

If we win our last 3 games, we just might take 2nd auto spot. Just say in' :wink:

Huckleberry Hound

by Huckleberry Hound » 17 Apr 2017 21:58

Norfolk Royal Did anyone notice on Sky that one of the Brighton players left the pitch just wearing his pants?

Don't! You're giving me flashbacks to Robbie Savage.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 17 Apr 2017 22:06

genome

+1

Yeah, they've been heading towards this for a while and Hughton is very good at this level. I'd have enjoyed seeing them choke again... but they do look to have been the best team in the League, so fair play to them. I wonder if they'll be able to continue in our footsteps and finish in the top half next year...

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 17 Apr 2017 22:08

harry
genome
Hound Back to our 'false third' spot I've enjoyed us in so much this season

To be fair, Leeds are in false 7th. They could yet threaten the top two once the final table comes in, and points adjustments have been made for attendances.

Don't forget history and attitude

Sadly, they'd still fall foul of Barcelona and Hove Albion and Newcastle on those fronts.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 17 Apr 2017 23:10

I certainly prefer to see more southern teams grace the Premier League and Brighton are well deserving, however I've said it before, do not like their fans or Rosenior.

Brum Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Brum Royal » 18 Apr 2017 09:09

Harry Redknapp appointed new Birmingham manager.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 18 Apr 2017 09:16

Brum Royal Harry Redknapp appointed new Birmingham manager.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

The decision to sack Rowett when they were 7th now looks to be one of the worst decisions of all time.

Be interesting to see if Redknapp is a long term appointment or just there to try and stop the slide.

Brum Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Brum Royal » 18 Apr 2017 09:20

I reckon it'll be a three game appointment initially, if they stay up then talk about a contract in the summer, if they go down then he'll walk away.

Villa (a), Huddersfield (h) and Brizzle (a) are their last three, with a 2 point gap to Blackburn as it stands. I can see them getting 0 points and going for the drop

17237 posts