Rival Watch

17149 posts
SpaghettiHoop

Re: Rival Watch

by SpaghettiHoop » 05 Aug 2018 22:10

Just the excuse Sky need to put even more Leeds matches on the box.

Linden Jones' Tash

by Linden Jones' Tash » 05 Aug 2018 22:37

Snowflake Royal I imagine Leeds will start well, their fans will decide they'll win the league and be playing Champions League football within three years as is their right, they'll then stutter, then go on another good run where there's talk amongst their fans of them doing a Leicester next season, only for them to fall apart, sack their manager and finish 10th.

Pretty much this.

Bielsa teams start off strong, (when they click), then get knackered and fall away after Christmas.

Happened at Marseille... top at Christmas, missed out on CL football.

They will get sussed out by clever managers and get thumped a few times also.

Oh and for transparency, OM is my 'other' team. Marcello is revered in Marseille, but I don't buy it.

Better to win things like DD...

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 06 Aug 2018 09:13

SpaghettiHoop Just the excuse Sky need to put even more Leeds matches on the box.

Indeed. did anyone notice the programme on sky the other day about managing Leeds? like they are the only big team outside the PL at the moment.
This sky w*nkfest about them really is nausiating

SpaghettiHoop

by SpaghettiHoop » 06 Aug 2018 12:31

Just something that bugs me:
TV appearances to 24th Oct 2018

5 Leeds
5 Swansea
5 West Brom
4 Aston Villa
4 Stoke
3 Birmingham
3 Derby
3 Middlesbrough
2 Blackburn
2 Millwall
2 Norwich
2 Nottingham Forest
2 QPR
2 Sheffield Wednesday
1 Bolton
1 Brentford
1 Bristol City
1 Hull
1 Ipswich
1 Preston
1 Reading
1 Rotherham
1 Sheffield Utd
1 Wigan

Leeds and Birmingham disproportionate to where they finished last season

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 06 Aug 2018 12:42

SpaghettiHoop Just something that bugs me:

5 Leeds
5 Swansea
5 West Brom
4 Aston Villa
4 Stoke
3 Birmingham
3 Derby
3 Middlesbrough
2 Blackburn
2 Millwall
2 Norwich
2 Nottingham Forest
2 QPR
2 Sheffield Wednesday
1 Bolton
1 Brentford
1 Bristol City
1 Hull
1 Ipswich
1 Preston
1 Reading
1 Rotherham
1 Sheffield Utd
1 Wigan

Not sure if the info is out there but I would imagine Leeds games pretty much always get large viewing figures, so no surprise they get on regularly.

Brum on 3 times mainly due to who they play, Swansea will be a pull early on and they have a derby game v WBA.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 06 Aug 2018 12:43

5 Leeds
5 Swansea
5 West Brom
4 Aston Villa
4 Stoke
3 Birmingham
3 Derby
3 Middlesbrough
2 Blackburn
2 Millwall
2 Norwich
2 Nottingham Forest
2 QPR
2 Sheffield Wednesday
1 Bolton
1 Brentford
1 Bristol City
1 Hull
1 Ipswich
1 Preston
1 Reading
1 Rotherham
1 Sheffield Utd
1 Wigan

More fans = more people tuning in = better ratings. Leeds are consistenly on the TV because they pull the best viewing figures.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 06 Aug 2018 12:45

yeah its totally understandable if a bit annoying.

Problem is we don't have any rivals nearby - the best they can come up with is QPR, which isnt a rivalry at all, and there are genuinely 'bigger clubs' than us like Leeds, who have a much bigger fanbase

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 06 Aug 2018 12:47

genome

5 Leeds
5 Swansea
5 West Brom
4 Aston Villa
4 Stoke
3 Birmingham
3 Derby
3 Middlesbrough
2 Blackburn
2 Millwall
2 Norwich
2 Nottingham Forest
2 QPR
2 Sheffield Wednesday
1 Bolton
1 Brentford
1 Bristol City
1 Hull
1 Ipswich
1 Preston
1 Reading
1 Rotherham
1 Sheffield Utd
1 Wigan

More fans = more people tuning in = better ratings. Leeds are consistenly on the TV because they pull the best viewing figures.

Yeah this. It's completely wrong on a football level but Sky like viewers and money. It is annoying because the smaller sides could pick up new supporters by being on TV more often, especially those in Leagues 1 and 2. Every supporter counts. I would be in favour of at least 2 League 1 or 2 games being televised per week, at the moment it must only be 1 a month I'd guess.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 06 Aug 2018 12:50

So Reading have had there obligatory single TV appearance already done for the season then.
It is unfortunate that Leeds has the fan base that will tune in in large numbers and it will cycle the interest in Leeds therefore generate more supporters for them. Not sure how well they are supported outside the UK though. Would be nice to have some of the less popular teams gettin involved in more on TV. I enjoy the early rounds of the F.A cup shown on the BBC

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 06 Aug 2018 13:09

Coppells Lost Coat It is unfortunate that Leeds has the fan base that will tune in in large numbers and it will cycle the interest in Leeds therefore generate more supporters for them. Not sure how well they are supported outside the UK though.

I have an Irish Leeds fan as a colleague. He is a STH and often goes to away games too. He reckons they are the thrid best supported English club in Ireland, after Man U and Liverpool. It is very much a 70's thing.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 06 Aug 2018 13:10

I do feel like there needs to be stronger rules regarding the even distribution of TV games but I think such a move would probably push Sky to negotiate down the TV rights deal so the FA would be reluctant to do so.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 06 Aug 2018 13:24

tidus_mi2 I do feel like there needs to be stronger rules regarding the even distribution of TV games but I think such a move would probably push Sky to negotiate down the TV rights deal so the FA would be reluctant to do so.

Sky will show who they want and the FL try to kerb that then they will definitely want to pay less. The FL can't reall afford that.

The problem is outside of the fans of the clubs involved very few are going to have an interest in watching say Rotherham live but a game involving Leeds, will get a decent number of casual viewers - especially if they are playing another of the more famous clubs like Villa, Wednesday, Forest etc.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 06 Aug 2018 13:24

tidus_mi2 I do feel like there needs to be stronger rules regarding the even distribution of TV games but I think such a move would probably push Sky to negotiate down the TV rights deal so the FA would be reluctant to do so.

There is many more platforms on offer with TV deals - Amazon have a deal in place for next season and Netflix are looking to come in the market.

One87One

by One87One » 06 Aug 2018 15:03

They're not a rival (yet), but Reading City did well in their first game at the weekend, winning 5-1 I think it was, away.

They play at home tonight down Scours Lane. Under 16's free entry. It'd be good to see some Reading fans lend them some support instead of the other local clubs like Maidenhead.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 06 Aug 2018 15:07

One87One They're not a rival (yet), but Reading City did well in their first game at the weekend, winning 5-1 I think it was, away.

They play at home tonight down Scours Lane. Under 16's free entry. It'd be good to see some Reading fans lend them some support instead of the other local clubs like Maidenhead.

When the FA find out where the club are getting their money from they won't be around. Enjoy it while it lasts.......

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 06 Aug 2018 15:15

Old Man Andrews
One87One They're not a rival (yet), but Reading City did well in their first game at the weekend, winning 5-1 I think it was, away.

When the FA find out where the club are getting their money from they won't be around. Enjoy it while it lasts.......

So where's it from then?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 06 Aug 2018 15:17

muirinho
Old Man Andrews

So where's it from then?

Not for me to say. Heard it from a reliable Hellenic League source though.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 06 Aug 2018 15:31

I don't get why people that go to games get annoyed when they see that other clubs have far more games on TV. It doesn't effect you and I couldn't care less if Leeds are on TV 5 times and we're on once.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 06 Aug 2018 15:38

bobby1413 I don't get why people that go to games get annoyed when they see that other clubs have far more games on TV. It doesn't effect you and I couldn't care less if Leeds are on TV 5 times and we're on once.

Possibly the same people would get annoyed if we were on tv and as a result had our games switched at little notice......

The only reason I'd want us to be on tv more is because of the extra money, which we could do with. not sure what the actual rates are though, and whether it would be offset by loss of matchday income.

One87One

by One87One » 06 Aug 2018 16:08

Old Man Andrews
muirinho
Old Man Andrews

So where's it from then?

Not for me to say. Heard it from a reliable Hellenic League source though.

Martin (Chairman) is a long-time family friend. Do go on?

17149 posts