BFTG - Brentford

129 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

BFTG - Brentford

by Sutekh » 14 Feb 2017 21:59

Well that was a game of moments

Reading spectacularly lurched from one extreme to the other and then back again and thank god they did

Really set themselves up with some fight and belief which is just what is going to be needed with trips to Huddersfield and Brighton next

However Reading rode their luck and when they were bad they were awful. We miss McShane dreadfully as without him it just seems to become a confused in the defence.

MOTM for me was Obita

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: BFTG - Brentford

by Millsy » 14 Feb 2017 22:05

I can't disagree with any of that.

Because I didn't go.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 14 Feb 2017 22:10

nor can I.....because I left before you arrived

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 14 Feb 2017 22:17

A cracking win. We were awful at times, and great at others. Great belief from the players.

Some quick thoughts on the bus home:

- Stam's subs were spot on. Evans and Kermorgant were brilliant. And a goal for Beerens.
- Some of the worst officiating I have seen for a long time, for both teams.
- Jozefzoon looks a phenomenal player. Gunter couldn't handle him. Is he on loan to them?

A great match, and I'm exhausted now!

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 14 Feb 2017 22:22

what bus were you on?

It made good time :)

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 14 Feb 2017 22:22

Hell of a game for a neutral observer, but god how nerve racking was that? Brentford looked a very good side with plenty of skillful players. thank god number 7 didn`t play from the start. he gave Gunter a right roasting when he came on.
We look so shaky at the back. young Reece Oxford came here for game time, hasn`t played a minute yet.
First impressions about Grabben is that hes not any better than Kermy. but hey its only one game.
3 of the goals were borderline offside. but I will happily take the 3 points.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 14 Feb 2017 22:26

Utter shambles of a team selection from Stam, Gunter is not a centre half, Williams is not a right back/wing back.

We got out of jail.

I await the arrival of the armchair critics to tell us all what really happened.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 14 Feb 2017 22:32

We were dire for large chunks of that game. A smash and grab three points. Too little quality throughout the team. Couldn't pass, poor control, couldn't dribble, sloppy defending, Al Habsi not being able to kick for tuppence. But we won :D

I don't get playing Gunter and Williams out of position. Would rather see Oxford start at centre back and play Williams in midfield instead of Mutch. Swift, despite the goal, was again shockingly poor. I like Grabban's pace. And we look much more composed and with a better shape in midfield with Evans in there. I think he is a very classy player.
Last edited by 3points on 14 Feb 2017 22:34, edited 1 time in total.

moo
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by moo » 14 Feb 2017 22:34

An entertaining way to win.

However we rode our luck and could have genuinely conceded six or seven goals.

We took our fortunate chances and another three points.

I am happy, maybe just got to get used to winning differently to when Coppell and McDermott just steamrolled teams.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 14 Feb 2017 22:38

moo An entertaining way to win.

However we rode our luck and could have genuinely conceded six or seven goals.

We took our fortunate chances and another three points.

I am happy, maybe just got to get used to winning differently to when Coppell and McDermott just steamrolled teams.

McD didn't steam roll teams ... we got a fair few results like this. But SC yes.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 14 Feb 2017 22:46

AthleticoSpizz what bus were you on?

Was still on the bus when I posted, through the magic of the mobile phone!

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 14 Feb 2017 22:52

Just watched the highlight on sky along with the 4:1 drubbing in away game (on internet) and must say Brentford play some fantastic football .... but we somehow won it. But they had tons of chances even after we went 3:2 up they could have scored 2.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 14 Feb 2017 22:53

genome
AthleticoSpizz what bus were you on?

Was still on the bus when I posted, through the magic of the mobile phone!
take no notice of this dinosaur :)

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 14 Feb 2017 22:55

First thoughts was 'what a great game'. Really enjoyed it despite not playing especially well.

I thought the midfield 3 were poor and that gave Brentford control of much of the game. However Stam's subs made a huge difference and Williams I thought made a big difference when moved inside (and good goal)

Brentford a decent side to watch - great up front, but abysmal at the back.

Looking at the other results, badly needed the win. Would have to think now that Derby are prob out of it, but very important to make 2 points on Norwich

Royality creeps In
Hob Nob Regular

by Royality creeps In » 14 Feb 2017 23:26

Really frustrating to watch at times.
Moments off brilliance undone by sheer stupidity. (See most of the team). Fantastic one minute, dire the next.
I love Kelly's dynamism, determination, enthusiasm and his pass for the first goal was sublime. However he loses possession quite easily.
Swift is pretty good going forward but does not track back enough when defending and Grabban and Mutch on that showing are not much improved on what we already have.
Williams, Moore and Mcleary where the best of an under par performance by the team.

The three subs changed the game as we went more direct and just about hung on for the win.

To be fair it was quite an entertaining game on the whole and our third comedy goal, starring their keeper was worth the entrance money alone.

Huddersfield and BHA beware! :roll:

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 14 Feb 2017 23:26

Contrary to some opinions above I thought Mutch was very good and looks a strong addition to the midfield. In contrast, despite his goal, Swift was poor and got beaten far too many times in the middle of the park which contributed to our openness.

Blackett is an awful footballer, I can't really say much else. Gunter still stands off too much.

Grabban did a lot of good things but combined them with a lot of profligacy, needs to get sharper but I like what I see.

Evans changed the game for me. We started to win the ball back quicker and looked far more assured and solid. Should be one of the first names on the team sheet in my opinion.

We played some glorious football at times tonight but if we set up like that against Huddersfield we will get a hammering.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 14 Feb 2017 23:35

Was stuck listening to Dellor for infuriating reasons beyond my control tonight (made all the more infuriating by it being a bit of a thriller). The radio guys were saying that Mutch shoved an attacker for what was a very blatent penalty that wasn't given. Was that true?

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 14 Feb 2017 23:37

Yes

Jack Celliers
Hob Nob Regular

by Jack Celliers » 14 Feb 2017 23:40

Brilliant game. We played worse than Saturday but three points and some goals made up for that. The highlights on the internet pretty much confirmed what seemed to be going on. Gunter was poor for two of the goals, Kelly produced the best pass ever, they had a stonewall pen. I had assumed their second goal was miles offside as well.

It was a strange starting xi. Or starting x really because Mutch had a shocking first half, but he did improve after half time.

Stam is a genius and everything but shouldn't you play four at the back if you pick two full backs and two centre halves?

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 14 Feb 2017 23:42

Their 15 was lucky to stay on given the foul in McCleary. I thought cynical professional fouls were still red card offences, regardless of whether it is a clear goal scoring opportunity
Last edited by 3points on 14 Feb 2017 23:43, edited 1 time in total.

129 posts