BFTG - Brentford

129 posts
Crowbar6753

Re: BFTG - Brentford

by Crowbar6753 » 14 Feb 2017 23:42

I really like Stam and everything he is trying to achieve with the club, but playing players out of their natural position when there is a suitable replacement in the squad seems very strange and must be a real kick in the teeth for some squad players.
I think Gunter is a great wing back as is Tennai Watson, so to play Williams there seems a little strange. Also Oxford must be wondering why he made the short trip to Reading as it doesn't look like he'll every get a game at CB.
It has been well documented that we looked shaky at the back tonight, well thats what you get playing players out of their true positions. Please please keep it simple and play the players in the natural positions, we have a great squad with good depth now and are in a real position to make the play-offs, lets not make life difficult for ourselves.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 14 Feb 2017 23:44

I'm not sure what Stam has been smoking recently but he seems to be trying to sabotage our promotion chances with some seriously unintelligent and unnecessary team selections.

We wasted an opportunity on Saturday to take three points off Barnsley and we got out of jail tonight against the bees.

Stam has recently decided to start playing people out of position.... why? Is he crackers?
We don't need to do that. We signed all those players in the window so that we can play naturals in their strongest positions. He is acting like we are at the bare bones. We're not. Play people in their natural positions Jaap!

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 14 Feb 2017 23:52

Out of position lately

Grabban CF played as a CM against Barnsley. He was sh!t. We were sh!t second half and couldn't break them down. Why not replace a tired Kelly with Swift. Proven and a natural?

Tonight. Gunter RB or RWB played as a centre back.... wtf.
Williams. CM played as a RWB. Why? Sh!t at RWB. Rescued us as a CM.
McCleary RW played as a CF. he can do it but was most dangerous tonight attacking from the wing.
Mutch was rubbish tonight. The game passed him by. He is way down the pecking order if I was picking the team. He would be the last midfield option that I would use.

When Stam finally saw sense and reverted back to the team that works we turned it around and won. Well done Stam for that.
Let's stick with the team and system that has got us into the play offs. Don't keep changing the team. Use the squad depth to support the first 11. Stop messing around with the winning formula Jaap.

Jack Celliers
Hob Nob Regular

by Jack Celliers » 14 Feb 2017 23:58

3points Their 15 was lucky to stay on given the foul in McCleary. I thought cynical professional fouls were still red card offences, regardless of whether it is a clear goal scoring opportunity

That's not something I have ever been aware of. It would have been a harsh call for denying a goal-scoring opportunity, but the foul looked like an out-of-control lunge that might have been a red card for being reckless.

Steve_Upper_West

by Steve_Upper_West » 14 Feb 2017 23:59

PieEater Utter shambles of a team selection from Stam, Gunter is not a centre half, Williams is not a right back/wing back.

We got out of jail.

I await the arrival of the armchair critics to tell us all what really happened.

+1

Another game of 'Total Football' under Stam - totally frustrating and at times totally suicidal :o
What the OXFORD has Evans got to do to get a starting berth in this team - and speaking of Oxford if he is not going to play when two centre backs are out injured when is he ?

MOTM Obita although Williams pushed him close once Stam played him in his right position !

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 15 Feb 2017 00:00

We can thank Villa for that win, if Hogan was still at Brentford they would have scored about 6.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 15 Feb 2017 00:04

CountryRoyal We can thank Villa for that win, if Hogan was still at Brentford they would have scored about 6.

But he's not, and they didn't.

Christ guys we won, enjoy the victory :lol:

Also, some of comments criticising the manager - his triple substitution won us the game.
Last edited by genome on 15 Feb 2017 00:05, edited 1 time in total.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 15 Feb 2017 00:05

genome
CountryRoyal We can thank Villa for that win, if Hogan was still at Brentford they would have scored about 6.

I am, almost as much as Hope Akpan getting sent off for pushing the ref.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 15 Feb 2017 00:06

Steve_Upper_West
PieEater Utter shambles of a team selection from Stam, Gunter is not a centre half, Williams is not a right back/wing back.

We got out of jail.

I await the arrival of the armchair critics to tell us all what really happened.

+1

Another game of 'Total Football' under Stam - totally frustrating and at times totally suicidal :o
What the OXFORD has Evans got to do to get a starting berth in this team - and speaking of Oxford if he is not going to play when two centre backs are out injured when is he ?

MOTM Obita although Williams pushed him close once Stam played him in his right position !

Oxford was sent out on loan to get match time. WTF did we bring him in if hes not going to play?

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 15 Feb 2017 00:22

Anyone else having trouble reading these posts?!
My first reaction on reading Oxford, with or without an asterisk, is to assume there is a swear word to be inserted

WestRoyal

by WestRoyal » 15 Feb 2017 00:44

genome

Also, some of comments criticising the manager - his triple substitution won us the game.

I know tell me about. They'd moan if it was the game that won the league because its in their nature and it makes them feel better about themselves.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 15 Feb 2017 00:49

WestRoyal
genome

I know tell me about. They'd moan if it was the game that won the league because its in their nature and it makes them feel better about themselves.

Alternative thought: if the line up was right in the first place, or he made appropriate changes sooner, maybe we wouldn't have got ourself in the position to begin with where we had to come from behind to win.

Just sayin like.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 15 Feb 2017 01:55

CountryRoyal
WestRoyal
genome

Alternative thought: if the line up was right in the first place, or he made appropriate changes sooner, maybe we wouldn't have got ourself in the position to begin with where we had to come from behind to win.

Just sayin like.

At the start we completely dominated the match, it's not like we started on the back foot.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 15 Feb 2017 03:40

An exciting game but christ we rode our luck. They should have had a stone wall pen while there second was miles offside. At times our defending was comical shear panic everytime it came in the box. Blacket is useless Gunter was ripped to shreds Swift gave a master class in giving the ball away and Grabbens has the touch of a girraffe on morphine. Credit for scrapping out an undeserved win, but if we play like that over the next few games we will be well and truly tonked.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 15 Feb 2017 06:57

Ha, shows how different opinions can be - I thought Blackett was pretty good considering their front line was excellent

Thought Grabban did ok as well, but was correctly subbed

Pleased to see most people agree that Obita and Williams were 2 of our best - certainly agree with that. Obita is on a nice run of form, looked our best all round player last night

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 15 Feb 2017 07:01

Definately rode our luck with this one, but at this stage of the season who cares if it ends up with 3 priceless points!

I think the players just find the system JS is trying to play challenging, can't blame them when they are played out of position

Williams in central midfield or on the bench, he isn't a right wing back. Gunter was poor again and I think him alongside shaky Blackett is a recipe for disaster. Would like to see Oxford given a chance, and am looking forward to Mcshane coming back!

Grabban and Mcleary looks like it could prove a useful partnership.

Be pleased with anything from Huddersfield came as can see them walking away with it if we defend like we did against Brentford

Bob1871

by Bob1871 » 15 Feb 2017 07:15

You can't play Kelly, Mutch and Swift in a 3 man midfield, they give the defence no cover, don't track back enough and with the exception of Kelly seem to be terrified to put a foot in especially in a 50/50.

Communication at the back seemed woeful at times and thought we really missed VDB or Evans in that holding role that Moore was playing. I thought Williams was a pretty poor RB but after he moved centrally Gunter was even worse, he got torn to shreds and they should have scored twice.

We should have lost that game by 3 or 4 but got lucky! Would have been a great game for a neutral to watch!

The Informant

by The Informant » 15 Feb 2017 07:22

I'm not giving my opinion until Ian has watched his 5 minute highlight reel and tells us what actually happened. Oh and lol at his melt down on the match thread.

We will get stuffed at Huddersfield and Brighton as Stam doesn't know how to set up against atacking teams. Gives them far too much space around the box and late runners into the box are always left unmarked.

Forty

by Forty » 15 Feb 2017 07:39

That was a great spectacle, and 15th looks a very unfair position for Brentford. Still, their manager has a massive case of sour grapes in his after match comments.

The first 20 we were sublime, and once we scored they were excellent. Game could have gone either way.

Agree with comments about Evans (or vdb) needed to anchor midfield - big hole in front on defenders, which makes it difficult for them to pass out too. Can't quite work out why Williams playing RWB, but he's done well in that space and we've won most of the games he's played there?

Penalty - yes. Offside their second. Yes. Their number 7 - electric.

Worth remembering that Mutch and Grabban have barely played this season.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 15 Feb 2017 07:53

winchester_royal Contrary to some opinions above I thought Mutch was very good and looks a strong addition to the midfield.

Agree. He missed a sitter in their box, courtesy of a London Irish bobble, Brentford broke really quick and a goalbound shot was blocked by one of our players. I was amazed when I realised it was Mutch who had somehow got back into that position!

Looks very strong, athletic and fast (although faded due to lack of match fitness). Also skillful. Very much a box to box midfielder (in the Sidwell mould?).

129 posts