129 posts
genome
Hob Nob Legend

Re: BFTG - Brentford

by genome » 15 Feb 2017 11:04

John Smith
genome
bcubed Looks offside from that shot

It's not. Follow the line of the grass on the pitch from our player at the top down to the Brentford player. He's level.

I still think it looks a yard offside!

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 15 Feb 2017 11:17

Your edit on the image just makes it look offside but incredibly marginal, it looks like his upper body is beyond the offside line which is enough to be considered offside.

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 15 Feb 2017 11:18

Is it not done based on your feet?

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 15 Feb 2017 11:19

John Smith
genome
bcubed Looks offside from that shot

It's not. Follow the line of the grass on the pitch from our player at the top down to the Brentford player. He's level.

Specsavers really are very good, you should give them a go.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 15 Feb 2017 11:23

tidus_mi2 Your edit on the image just makes it look offside but incredibly marginal, it looks like his upper body is beyond the offside line which is enough to be considered offside.

I'm not sure what the rule is (paging Paul) but if you follow the line, I think their upper bodies are just about level as well. The angle of the image is distorting it.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 15 Feb 2017 11:23

genome
John Smith
genome

we can all draw a line on to prove a point (actually I cant as I am not that IT savvy!)
I would say that line is not parallel with the cut line of the grass hence my observation (without the benefit of any lines of reference)

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 15 Feb 2017 11:25

genome
tidus_mi2 Your edit on the image just makes it look offside but incredibly marginal, it looks like his upper body is beyond the offside line which is enough to be considered offside.

I'm not sure what the rule is (paging Paul) but if you follow the line, I think their upper bodies are just about level as well. The angle of the image is distorting it.

It is very tight and in most instances the referee will give the attacker the benefit of the doubt.
Offside position
It is not an offence to be in an offside position.

A player is in an offside position if:

any part of the head, body or feet is in the opponents’ half (excluding the halfway line) and
any part of the head, body or feet is nearer to the opponents’ goal line than both the ball and the second-last opponent
The hands and arms of all players, including the goalkeepers, are not considered.

A player is not in an offside position if level with the:

second-last opponent or
last two opponents

http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-gov ... ---offside

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 15 Feb 2017 11:31

bcubed
genome
John Smith I still think it looks a yard offside!

we can all draw a line on to prove a point (actually I cant as I am not that IT savvy!)
I would say that line is not parallel with the cut line of the grass hence my observation (without the benefit of any lines of reference)

Admittedly my monitor isn't the best, but it looks alright to me.

This is all a moot point anyway, as we won :P

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 15 Feb 2017 11:41

Some of you make me laugh.

Talking if you're some kind of football expert.

Jaap Stam has transformed Reading's league form to a real chance of promotion following 2 awful campaigns.
Admittedly, which seems a bit lucky, a comeback win against a skilful, energetic Brentford side.

Yet he can't pick a team according to alot of you.

Dear oh dear.

:roll:

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 15 Feb 2017 11:43

winchester_royal Contrary to some opinions above I thought Mutch was very good and looks a strong addition to the midfield. In contrast, despite his goal, Swift was poor and got beaten far too many times in the middle of the park which contributed to our openness.

Blackett is an awful footballer, I can't really say much else. Gunter still stands off too much.

Grabban did a lot of good things but combined them with a lot of profligacy, needs to get sharper but I like what I see.

Evans changed the game for me. We started to win the ball back quicker and looked far more assured and solid. Should be one of the first names on the team sheet in my opinion.

We played some glorious football at times tonight but if we set up like that against Huddersfield we will get a hammering.

Correct about Gunter. How often do you see him tackle a player, all he does is cover. I thought Moore, Blackett and Obita had decent games but our defence was awful. It must be down to Gunter

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 15 Feb 2017 11:46

genome
John Smith
genome

Looks onside there. Player at the top of the pic is clearly keeping him on.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 15 Feb 2017 11:47

Gordons Cumming Some of you make me laugh.

Jaap Stam has transformed Reading's league form to a real chance of promotion following 2 awful campaigns.
Admittedly, which seems a bit lucky, a comeback win against a skilful, energetic Brentford side.

Dear oh dear.

+1

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 15 Feb 2017 11:47

No Fixed Abode
genome
John Smith I still think it looks a yard offside!

Looks onside there. Player at the top of the pic is clearly keeping him on.

Indeed Kes

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 15 Feb 2017 12:20

genome
bcubed
genome

Admittedly my monitor isn't the best, but it looks alright to me.

This is all a moot point anyway, as we won :P

Indeed but where would HNA be without the odd moot point?!

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 15 Feb 2017 12:27

Go to 50 seconds on the official rfc youtube highlights of the game and pause. He's offside.

Kuhl_Runnings

by Kuhl_Runnings » 15 Feb 2017 12:31

The team we finished with tonight is one we should stick with until the injuries return.

4-1-4-1
AAH
Gunter
Moore
Blackett
Obita
Evans
Beerens
Mutch/Swift
Williams
McCleary
Kermorgant

OLLIE KEARNS

by OLLIE KEARNS » 15 Feb 2017 12:39

Dear oh dear.

Battered for 50 minutes, conceded 2 goals in 4 minutes (could have been 6 by that time) resulting in 3 subs in one go and a complete change of shape. I think JS himself may think he got a couple of things wrong last night don't you ? :-)
My balanced view (hopefully) is that he is an excellent young manager, he has a core way of playing, the players buy into what he is doing and give everything for both him and their team mates. A far cry from some of the performances over the past two years and long may that continue.
At the same time he is in his first year as a manager at this level of football and he is bound to get some things wrong. Sometimes that is so obvious that everyone will collectively identify it and comment. Williams at wing back might be one such example perhaps.
Plus where would the world be with a good football related debate every now and again ! :-)

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 15 Feb 2017 12:46

NewCorkSeth Go to 50 seconds on the official rfc youtube highlights of the game and pause. He's offside.

He isn't. Here's a better quality screenshot, after he's kicked it.

Williams is playing him onside.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 15 Feb 2017 12:53

genome
NewCorkSeth Go to 50 seconds on the official rfc youtube highlights of the game and pause. He's offside.

He isn't. Here's a better quality screenshot, after he's kicked it.

Williams is playing him onside.

I have no idea how to upload screenshots but his upper body is nearer to the goal line than Williams @ the 50 second mark. That is offside. If he didn't lean forward so much he would be onside.

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 15 Feb 2017 12:58

OLLIE KEARNS

Dear oh dear.

Battered for 50 minutes, conceded 2 goals in 4 minutes (could have been 6 by that time) resulting in 3 subs in one go and a complete change of shape. I think JS himself may think he got a couple of things wrong last night don't you ? :-)
My balanced view (hopefully) is that he is an excellent young manager, he has a core way of playing, the players buy into what he is doing and give everything for both him and their team mates. A far cry from some of the performances over the past two years and long may that continue.
At the same time he is in his first year as a manager at this level of football and he is bound to get some things wrong. Sometimes that is so obvious that everyone will collectively identify it and comment. Williams at wing back might be one such example perhaps.
Plus where would the world be with a good football related debate every now and again ! :-)

Well said Ollie.
More than anything else Stam has that bit of luck about him at the moment which is priceless and undefinable.
A cracking first 20 minutes with our midfield 3 (all ball-players) interchanging well and then we scored.
What a turnaround.
Blackett played as if he was concussed losing his bearings so many times including when he took no notice of Moore screaming "mine" so loud that we could hear it halfway up the East Stand.
Gunter-words fail me other than I don't think I have ever seen a more chicken of a right back/centre back summed up (forgetting his going missing defensively for much of the game) by the half-hearted challenge for the ball in the first half when it was at least 60/40 in his favour.
An exciting game with two good orthodox goals from us with McCleary going to the by line and pulling the ball back for a player coming in to finish plus one unorthodox goal where Kermie aimed hopelessly at an open goal but the ball ended up at the feet of Beerens who continued his good goal-scoring record by tapping into an empty net.

Brentford might well have scored more but for the brilliant reactions of our keeper who once again IMHO was MOM.
Supposedly you make your own luck but as an earlier poster said we are making up greatly for earlier years and let us hope it lasts for the rest of the season.

129 posts