BFTG - Brentford

129 posts
SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

Re: BFTG - Brentford

by SCIAG » 15 Feb 2017 17:22

Before the subs we looked like 11 individuals. There were some really neat passages of play, but those seemed to be more based on Swift and Kelly being good footballers than there being much strategy to put the ball in the net. Our play was largely unstructured, there was no sense of control, and every bad touch we had made Brentford look threatening.

When we switched to 4-3-3 there was structure and focus. Everyone knew what they were doing and we knocked two goals in fairly quickly.

Let's stick with 4-3-3 (or 5-2-3) from now on, and play Evans. Hard to see a place for Williams and even harder to see one for Mutch. We talk about how Wieser, Mendes, and Gravenbech have been frozen out, but what chance do Quinn, Rakels, or Harriott have of getting much game time when they come back from injury?

Not so worried about the defence, more about keeping possession, staying patient and managing the match.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 15 Feb 2017 19:56

genome
Gordons Cumming Some of you make me laugh.

Talking if you're some kind of football expert.

Jaap Stam has transformed Reading's league form to a real chance of promotion following 2 awful campaigns.
Admittedly, which seems a bit lucky, a comeback win against a skilful, energetic Brentford side.

Yet he can't pick a team according to alot of you.

Dear oh dear.

:roll:

+1

No one is saying he's doing a bad job, everyone is quite clear he's doing an excellent job. But that doesn't mean he's performing flawlessly or immune to all criticism.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 15 Feb 2017 20:23

HAve to remember that this is his first proper manager's job as well - no doubt learning a lot as he goes along.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 15 Feb 2017 20:25

Ian Royal
genome
Gordons Cumming Some of you make me laugh.

Talking if you're some kind of football expert.

Jaap Stam has transformed Reading's league form to a real chance of promotion following 2 awful campaigns.
Admittedly, which seems a bit lucky, a comeback win against a skilful, energetic Brentford side.

Yet he can't pick a team according to alot of you.

Dear oh dear.

:roll:

+1

No one is saying he's doing a bad job, everyone is quite clear he's doing an excellent job. But that doesn't mean he's performing flawlessly or immune to all criticism.

Don't be silly Ian, you know better than to put that objective reason on here.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 15 Feb 2017 20:30

Just had the pleasure of watching the highlights.

As criticism is not allowed, :wink: I shall say there was some fabulous passing and running into space. Al-Habsi pulled off some top saves and we were very clinical with the chances we got.

Kermie could have a future as a Number 10 from some of his hold up, flick on and passes through on goal.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 15 Feb 2017 20:32

Criticism is fine, my point is that it seems disproportionate from a few posters.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 15 Feb 2017 21:03

Just want to add that it must have been a hell of a feeling at the end to be there and see us walk away with a win. You lucky ducks.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 15 Feb 2017 21:11

It was :D

For any tactical criticism, justified or not, the spirit in the side is without doubt. They looked shattered at the end

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 15 Feb 2017 21:19

Ian Royal Just want to add that it must have been a hell of a feeling at the end to be there and see us walk away with a win. You lucky ducks.

I was fistpumping like Tim Henman all the way back to the bus.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 15 Feb 2017 21:22

Hound For any tactical criticism, justified or not, the spirit in the side is without doubt. They looked shattered at the end

Proper backs to the wall. When Jordon Mutch leathered out of our box near the end, the cheer was genuinely like we had scored.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 15 Feb 2017 23:09

Hound HAve to remember that this is his first proper manager's job as well - no doubt learning a lot as he goes along.

Considering he's also the first proper manager we've had since we were last in the top flight you'd think people would cut him a bit more slack

PremAddict
Hob Nob Regular

by PremAddict » 15 Feb 2017 23:56

Funny that Dean Smith felt aggrieved by the officiating - many posts on here conclude that it was horrible for both. Apparently he claims that our first was offside - looking at the highlights, the last man to touch it was their defender. And he didn't seem to have a problem with their second which looked a good two yards offside. But we get the 3 points so...

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 16 Feb 2017 05:55

Ian Royal Just want to add that it must have been a hell of a feeling at the end to be there and see us walk away with a win. You lucky ducks.

Just wondering why have you decided to to revert back to not going to games? Have you been to any this season?

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 16 Feb 2017 07:25

CountryRoyal

Just wondering why have you decided to to revert back to not going to games? Have you been to any this season?

He's making a stand on behalf of us all...

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 16 Feb 2017 07:36

CountryRoyal

I've always gone to games despite what the morons like to tell everyone. Though I've had the odd season where it's only been a handful, mostly in the PL.

I had a season ticket for this year but gave it up in disgust when McDermott was sacked. Obviously things have turned out brilliantly and the Thais have proved they can pick a good manager. It's frustrating I'm missing our best season in about 5 years, but I'm quite enjoying having my weekends back, it was tiring losing an entire Saturday every other week.

I might make the odd game before the end of the season, but if not this would be the first time since 1993/4 I haven't made a single game. I'll be back with a ST next year almost certainly. The last three years were pretty soul destroying.

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 16 Feb 2017 08:54

Ian Royal I've always gone to games despite what the morons like to tell everyone. Though I've had the odd season where it's only been a handful, mostly in the PL.

I had a season ticket for this year but gave it up in disgust when McDermott was sacked. Obviously things have turned out brilliantly and the Thais have proved they can pick a good manager. It's frustrating I'm missing our best season in about 5 years, but I'm quite enjoying having my weekends back, it was tiring losing an entire Saturday every other week.

I might make the odd game before the end of the season, but if not this would be the first time since 1993/4 I haven't made a single game. I'll be back with a ST next year almost certainly. The last three years were pretty soul destroying.

Why were you not tempted to get a half ST based on how we are doing? Are you just being stubborn?

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 16 Feb 2017 09:01

Ian Royal I had a season ticket for this year but gave it up in disgust when McDermott was sacked.

Oof :lol:

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 16 Feb 2017 10:04

As Ian said, no one is saying that Stam is doing a bad job. Quite the contrary, he is doing a good job. In fact, he is doing a fricking outstanding job. I am delighted and love the job he is doing. But, of course sometimes it's fair to critisize and I don't think any criticism expressed on this forum has been over the top.

Recently, he has made changes to the team and weakened the team unnecessarily. Surely the point of the transfer window and bringing in a new player in every position was so that we have squad depth and wouldn't have to resort to playing people out of position.

Consistency starts from the manager. When the manager starts being inconsistent with team selections and formations that leads to inconsistent performances on the pitch which lead to inconsistent results. Inconsistency doesn't get a team promoted. To go up you need to be consistent. Coppell was the absolute model of consistency. Every one of us can name the 106 side of that season. We all know who the first 11 were on the team sheet that entire season.

I think we should have taken 9 points from the last three games. If there was consistency of team selections, I think we would have come away with maximum spoils from the last three matches. Now we have some extremely tough games coming up. I hope we don't regret not taking full advantage of the past three games.

Hampshire Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Hampshire Royal » 16 Feb 2017 11:10

If we look at the last six games, we have taken 14 points from 18 - the same as Newcastle and Brighton. Huddersfield took 15 points from their last 18. Things aren't looking too bad, in my opinion.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 16 Feb 2017 11:38

Ian Royal Just had the pleasure of watching the highlights.

As criticism is not allowed, :wink: I shall say there was some fabulous passing and running into space. Al-Habsi pulled off some top saves and we were very clinical with the chances we got.

Kermie could have a future as a Number 10 from some of his hold up, flick on and passes through on goal.

Kermie played at 10for Bournemouth

129 posts