BFTG - Huddersfield (A)

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

BFTG - Huddersfield (A)

by CountryRoyal » 22 Feb 2017 00:31

Beats Derby to the most positive I've felt after a loss in a while. First half of the first half or so Huddersfield pressed us high and to great effect, however we still had opportunities on the counter were it not for sloppy play, misplaced passes...etc. Huddersfield were hungry, sharp and organised. We grew into the game after their penalty and at times it looked like it could go either way, with both teams having some decent chances however Huddersfield just shading it.

Wasn't expecting anything and thought a heavy defeat could be on the cards so very pleased with how we played for most of the game and we gave a good account of ourselves against a very, very good side. They're class and I see no reason why they can't get autos, while we are still good we were on the day and probably overall just not quite up to that level (which was reflected in the score line) and that's ok, we've come a long way in a very short space of time but that performance was encouraging and given me a lot more confidence that we should be able to consolidate one of the playoff positions.

As far as individual performances I thought Mutch and Gunter were gash, Kelly and GMac fairly ineffective, but everyone else played fairly well, or as best they could given the level of opposition. Sometimes you just have to hold your hands up and admit you lost to the better team, no shame in that.

Huddersfield this season best home support I've heard in years, in contrast we were atrocious. Seemed more than I expected but very few of us singing and not for any extended period of time, perhaps overawed with the fans?

Ah well, onto Brighton and whilst all I want is a good performance, I don't see why we can't nick a point.

gdroyal

Re: BFTG - Huddersfield (A)

by gdroyal » 22 Feb 2017 00:47

Was writing me own one but you beat me to it. Neither team really did enough to win the game and it always seemed like one team would nick it and that turned out to be Huddersfield. Game of few chances, they had a lot of pressure early on which we coped well with, then after the penalty save and them taking off Izzy Brown (really strange move) we got into the game and had some good chances towards the end of the 1st half with Beerens hitting and Grabban diverting a cross just wide. We carried this into the 2nd half and look really threatening on the counter early on. Grab had a shout for a pen, I didn't think it was but it was a great chance which I don't know why he didn't shoot rather than try to win the pen. However, after about the 60 minute mark we really offered nothing and couldn't really string two forward passes together. Huddersfield rarely threatened either and were looking like they were running out of ideas. Goal was down the other end and difficult to see although it looked a good finish. They just seemed to get that luck which we didn't have. After the goal we had a couple of chances, Kermogant put a FK just over and Moore had a great chance in stoppage time, one you would have wanted to fall to someone else. Anyway, frustrating but there are a number of positives. With Sheffield losing at least they don't gain any ground, would be good if results can go our way on Saturday before we play, just to take some pressure off.

Ratings:

Al Habsi - 8 - good penalty save, dealt with everything comfortably

Gunter - 4 - Thought he was really poor. His touch is awful and always looking to go back.
Moore - 6 - Solid but missed a great chance for an equaliser
Blackett - 7 - Was worried about him going into this game but he played well
Obita - 6 - defensively sound but wasn't great going forward

Kelly - 5 - Probably one of his poorer games, a number of misplaced passes and probably not being played in his best position. Should have stopped Brown well before he gave the pen away.
Mutch - 4 - Really slow on the ball, a number of misplaced passes. One of those nights where every time he had the ball he lost it.
Williams - 6 - As always, some promising runs but never playing that killer ball

McCleary - 5 - Did very little
Beerans - 6 - hit the bar in the first half however lacked a killer ball and was constantly lazy in getting back from an offside position
Grabban - 6 - should have scored at least one. Good chance in the first half and should have got a shot away the keeper managed to take the ball away from him.

Subs:
Popa - 6 - some nice touches including one pass that could have been fantastic is Gunter wasn't so static
Swift - 5 - Didn't change the game
Kermogant - 5 - same

thatsthewayitis

by thatsthewayitis » 22 Feb 2017 01:59

hi Town fan here.

Tough game for both sides. We pressed well in the first half but the missed penalty/confusion over taking the penalty seemed to upset us and Reading were the stronger team in the final 15 mins of the 1st half. 2nd half we (Town) returned more composed and the pressing gradually led to us stopping you playing and looking to counter attack more. Throughout you looked organised, disciplined and a danger to spring on any small Town mistake.

For the last 20 mins of the game (from my perspective) it felt like the pressure was building on you and and a goal was going to come for Huddersfield. Not because you were any less organised or dangerous, it is just we score lots of late goals in the final 10 mins. Its not luck, it our level of fitness and style of play (we can press for 90 mins and not tire). It a reason so many of our games are won by one goal. Town are grinders with a bit of class thrown in (Mooy, Kachunga, the centrebakcs, etc)

A draw or a Town win was a fair result. A reading win would have been a bit smash&grab. With Izzy Brown; what's happened is he's com down with a cold on the day. He's played and just 2 minutes before the penalty, He'd singled that he could not carry on. Then wins the penalty. All was a bit confused but that's the reason behind his early subbing (illness).

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 22 Feb 2017 02:27

Back home now. Fairly happy despite the defeat. Thought it was a fairly even match with both teams having fair share of chances. Certainly our best efforts came in the 1st half with Beerens hitting the bar and another couple of chances late on. Penalty on first viewing looked the correct decision. I didn't see too many of our players overly incensed.

The Grabban penalty claim looked fairly soft claim. The referee had a reasonable angle and I looked over to the lino and he seemed adamant it was a corner.

In a game of little between the sides, Huddersfield looked the more likelier to score. As promotion opponents, thought they were excellent and pressed us really well. They're an excellent team and genuine contenders

Have to say as well thought the Huddersfield fans were unbelievable in support. Continuous atmosphere throughout the match, good variety of songs and all of them in supporting the team and not goading the opposition fans. Something our fan base should take note of.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Feb 2017 07:09

Thanks for the reports, sounds like there were plenty of positives to take

From highlights on Sky seems an even game. Grabban's was every bit as much a penalty as their's IMO, but we got away with one against Brentford so not going to whinge too much

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 22 Feb 2017 07:12

I went to Germany on Saturday to watch a lifelong side I have always had an interest in in Borussia Dortmund. I saw them take Wolfsburg apart 3-0 and even before the deadlock was broken, their was buzzing and non-intimidating. Wagner definitely looks as though he's got the crowd going to have a German crowd atmosphere like that (though Dortmund was just another level).

Anyway it's clear they're a decent side and are rightfully 3rd. I think they lack a bit of quality but play very well as a team with good fitness levels. I still think theyre a better side than Brighton. Last night we played quite well. Thought it was close and a draw wouldn't have been an unfair result with them just shading a good contest. We were bang unlucky not to score and a similar performance at Brighton and a bit more luck and we will have a good chance of winning.

Ps. Please can we sign a new right back and drop Gunter? He's so soft and gets skinned all the time

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 22 Feb 2017 08:18

Hudds fans being very complimentary about us. Makes a change to everyone saying how shit we are.

Kuhl_Runnings

by Kuhl_Runnings » 22 Feb 2017 08:39

Very nice, down to earth fans. Not too annoyed we lost to a good team but if we lose to bl0ody Brighton I'll probably jump off CavershamBridge head first. But in Stam I still trust. We can do this.

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 22 Feb 2017 08:54

Feel like a draw would have been a fair result. We forced 4 good saves out of their keeper in the first half and it felt like he kept them in it, would have been nice to go in a goal up after withstanding their early pressure then being on top for the last 15.

Huddersfield look a decent team, and their fans are obviously fully behind them. Shame they couldn't sell out though?

26-10-06

by 26-10-06 » 22 Feb 2017 09:25

LWJ Feel like a draw would have been a fair result. We forced 4 good saves out of their keeper in the first half and it felt like he kept them in it, would have been nice to go in a goal up after withstanding their early pressure then being on top for the last 15.

Huddersfield look a decent team, and their fans are obviously fully behind them. Shame they couldn't sell out though?

Like we would have????

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 22 Feb 2017 09:33

Really positive performance from Reading. While not quite at their best they generally held their own against an impressive Huddersfield team really in form.

Seemed Reading were very bright for much of the game after a slow start but that it went very quiet and devoid of ideas for much of the second half.

Jaap also seemed to think that their goal was questionable as Billings left the pitch and then came back on to score or something, anyone seen the replay?

Lot of time for Huddersfield, certainly my favourite Yorkshire team and a breath of fresh air after the likes of Sheffield and Leeds. Incidentally have Huddersfield actually won/achieved more in the game than the clubs from those places?

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 22 Feb 2017 09:43

Sutekh Lot of time for Huddersfield, certainly my favourite Yorkshire team and a breath of fresh air after the likes of Sheffield and Leeds. Incidentally have Huddersfield actually won/achieved more in the game than the clubs from those places?

Doubt it. I hadn't even heard of them until this season.

WAZZOCK

by WAZZOCK » 22 Feb 2017 09:52

Thoughts on the penalties? From looking at the highlights, the ref has to give us a penalty if he awards the first one.

gdroyal

by gdroyal » 22 Feb 2017 10:02

WAZZOCK Thoughts on the penalties? From looking at the highlights, the ref has to give us a penalty if he awards the first one.

No complaints with their penalty from where I was sitting. Looked a pretty clear one although he should have never been allowed to get anywhere near the penalty area. The Grabban one just didn't look a penalty, the ref thought the keeper touched the ball which I'm not to sure he did. However, he went down way to easily, he was looking for something and the ref was in a great position to judge. I would have been furious if the oppo won a pen against us for that challenge.

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 22 Feb 2017 10:05

We really struggled in the first 20 minutes to get a foothold, they really had us boxed in (although didn't create any real chances)

After that though, we really came to life with our passing football, we really have improved in this regard. We find it much easier to get through the thirds than we did earlier in the season, good to see gradual improvement. We are not likely to face a tougher challenge this season and the players really stood up to it.

Didn't really deserve to lose, a draw would have been a fair result.

Negatives: Gunter really struggled with the intensity and nearly cost us a few times, and McCleary offered nothing( correctly substituted). Mutch was poor first half, but once the game settled down he showed a good range of passing and composure.

Final point: Blackett playing in the back two seems to really suit him, another really strong performance (Barnsley at home he was MOTM)

My Ratings:

Al- Habsi- 9
Gunter- 4
Moore- 7
Blackett- 8
Obita- 7

Kelly- 6
Williams- 7
Mutch- 5

Beerens- 7
McCleary- 5
Grabban- 7

Subs: Popa- 6, Kermogant-7 Swift- 6

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 22 Feb 2017 10:14

What are our travelling supporters' views on Stam's claim that Billing was off the pitch and re-entered in an offside position to score their goal?

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 22 Feb 2017 10:24

Pepe the Horseman
Sutekh Lot of time for Huddersfield, certainly my favourite Yorkshire team and a breath of fresh air after the likes of Sheffield and Leeds. Incidentally have Huddersfield actually won/achieved more in the game than the clubs from those places?

They've picked up on this comment :lol:

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Feb 2017 10:26

gdroyal
WAZZOCK Thoughts on the penalties? From looking at the highlights, the ref has to give us a penalty if he awards the first one.

No complaints with their penalty from where I was sitting. Looked a pretty clear one although he should have never been allowed to get anywhere near the penalty area. The Grabban one just didn't look a penalty, the ref thought the keeper touched the ball which I'm not to sure he did. However, he went down way to easily, he was looking for something and the ref was in a great position to judge. I would have been furious if the oppo won a pen against us for that challenge.

Both looked as much of a penalty as each other to me. From the highlights don't think you could say that Grabban was looking for it anymore than Brown for them. Keeper clearly touched Grabban and not the ball.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 22 Feb 2017 10:58

genome
Pepe the Horseman

They've picked up on this comment :lol:

:D Just kidding guys x

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 22 Feb 2017 11:09

26-10-06
Like we would have????

Wasn't a dig, well overreacted though. Just thought they would have especially as they have been playing decent football and have won 6 on the trot.