BFTG - Huddersfield (A)

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: BFTG - Huddersfield (A)

by CountryRoyal » 22 Feb 2017 11:10

LWJ
26-10-06
Like we would have????

Wasn't a dig, well overreacted though. Just thought they would have especially as they have been playing decent football and have won 6 on the trot.

On a Tuesday night? Very optimistic to say the least, I thought their numbers especially considering the situation were very impressive.

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 22 Feb 2017 11:49

Excellent reports from the loyal supporters who made the long trip, like many others I'm sure, really apprentice the comments and views of true fans (in the main)

Draw would have been great but at least we were not battered. I wonder if we're just starting to run out of steam after such a long intensive season .

I've a feeling we may well face Huddersfield again in the play offs semis, we should not fear them.

WAZZOCK

by WAZZOCK » 22 Feb 2017 12:20

Hound
gdroyal
WAZZOCK Thoughts on the penalties? From looking at the highlights, the ref has to give us a penalty if he awards the first one.

No complaints with their penalty from where I was sitting. Looked a pretty clear one although he should have never been allowed to get anywhere near the penalty area. The Grabban one just didn't look a penalty, the ref thought the keeper touched the ball which I'm not to sure he did. However, he went down way to easily, he was looking for something and the ref was in a great position to judge. I would have been furious if the oppo won a pen against us for that challenge.

Both looked as much of a penalty as each other to me. From the highlights don't think you could say that Grabban was looking for it anymore than Brown for them. Keeper clearly touched Grabban and not the ball.

This was my thoughts. Oh well, nothing we can do about it now.

Something else to consider - McCleary has been poor since the turn of the year... discuss

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 22 Feb 2017 12:32

WAZZOCK
Something else to consider - McCleary has been poor since the turn of the year... discuss

Utter rubbish. He's been one of our top players in the last few games. Last night he was heavily marked out the game, their fullback had really good game as well tbf, he didn't give Popa much chance either.

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 22 Feb 2017 12:32

Gunny Fishcake I've a feeling we may well face Huddersfield again in the play offs semis, we should not fear them.

Personally I would fancy our chances over 2 legs.

Basildon

by Basildon » 22 Feb 2017 12:50

LWJ
Gunny Fishcake I've a feeling we may well face Huddersfield again in the play offs semis, we should not fear them.

Personally I would fancy our chances over 2 legs.

I'd sooner have Leeds or Wednesday in the play-offs than Huddersfield tbf

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Feb 2017 12:51

LWJ
WAZZOCK

Utter rubbish. He's been one of our top players in the last few games. Last night he was heavily marked out the game, their fullback had really good game as well tbf, he didn't give Popa much chance either.

Set up 2 of the goals vs Brentford.

I'd be surprised if he wasn't a little tired though to be honest - pretty much featured in every game except when he was suspended. Was very much our 'go-to man' for anything offensive for the 1st half of the season

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 22 Feb 2017 12:54

WAZZOCK
Hound

Yeah - we have done the underperforming Gunter, Williams and Obita to death so hey why not move on to McCleary.

For the record, you are talking nonsense, probably one of our best performers and for me first name on the team sheet.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 22 Feb 2017 13:54

WAZZOCK
Hound
gdroyal
No complaints with their penalty from where I was sitting. Looked a pretty clear one although he should have never been allowed to get anywhere near the penalty area. The Grabban one just didn't look a penalty, the ref thought the keeper touched the ball which I'm not to sure he did. However, he went down way to easily, he was looking for something and the ref was in a great position to judge. I would have been furious if the oppo won a pen against us for that challenge.

Both looked as much of a penalty as each other to me. From the highlights don't think you could say that Grabban was looking for it anymore than Brown for them. Keeper clearly touched Grabban and not the ball.

This was my thoughts. Oh well, nothing we can do about it now.

:shock: just :shock:

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 22 Feb 2017 14:19

McCleary was ineffective yesterday and against Bristol City, beyond that he has been immense this year every time I have seen him though I missed the Barnsley game.

Not sure how you've got so many nibbles though as you're obviously on a wind up.

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 22 Feb 2017 16:47

I really enjoyed last night....especially after such a shakey start!! I was fearful of a Fulham style mauling (especially as that and Man Utd were my last two away days!!) as we really couldn't get into the game to begin with. However, I thought we showed how much we've moved forward in the last few weeks because we held out and heading towards half time, we were the better team. 2nd half was more even and both teams had decent chances, although they had more than we did. Overall I can't complain about the defeat. The longer it went on, the more likely it was going to be a 1-0 one way or the other.....

As for the two penalty incidents, I felt both were giveable. I agree that Grabban was looking for one, but Brown didn't exactly try to stay on his feet! Although the petulant strop about not taking it and then being subbed was :lol:

In terms of our performance, Al-Habsi did well when called on. It was probably Obita's best defensive display of the season, but I agree that he wasn't his usual threat going forward. Gunter and Williams both annoyed me. I didn't think either played badly, but they both made silly mistakes (especially Gunter for the goal!!) and put us under pressure. Kelly was once again excellent with the ball. Yann's commitment when he came on was excellent, including yelling at just about everyone on the pitch and in particular the ref! Shame Moore didn't take another touch right at the end, but we can't be too upset. This team has improved massively in a very short space of time. We can certainly run Huddersfield close, should we end up playing them in the play-offs.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 22 Feb 2017 19:50

I find it very doubtful one of us is going to slip to 6th or both of us are going to be overtaken by Leeds or Wednesday. That's assuming they don't manage 2nd, which is quite possible.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 22 Feb 2017 22:32

Unlucky to lose as we had genuine chances.

Tactics from Stam were right as they definitely tired in the second half through their pressing game, game of fine margins and a somewhat lucky goal, but then again we've done that at home recently.

Great home support - concentrated on supporting their team rather than goading the away fans.