BFTS - Brighton (A)

147 posts
Dennis the Butler
Location: Wallowing in the Premiership glory ... oh bollox !!

Re: BFTS - Brighton (A)

by Dennis the Butler » 25 Feb 2017 20:16

Should have cashed in on Gunter when we had the chance IMHO ..

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 25 Feb 2017 20:17

double d Who Is up for having a protest at STAR and the stadium next week to get the money back from ticket and travel and food and alcohol?

Think you have at least 7 attendees from this thread alone.

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 25 Feb 2017 20:24

Hound Don't agree with a lot of that to be honest

Sure it's very frustrating losing to Brighton but they are a good side. We handled them ok for the majority but obviously defended very poorly when they broke ( though they did that well tbf)

Obviously the bug turning point was the clearance of the line followed by their breakway goal - if we'd scored that I felt we were in good shape to go on and get a result

I though Mutch was poor, McShane very rusty and Gunter soft. McCleary Couldn't get in the game

Other than that pretty average all round. Beerens looked dangerous first half and Grabban prob should have started

Williams prob our mom but a low bar. Thought Blackett defended fairly well but he isn't a lwb as his crossing is poor. Kelly and Swift need to find their best form again, both have been well below their best for a while imo

Agreed... We gave them enough to think about whilst staying true to our play and set up strategy which is a season or 2 away from perfection. Hang in there boys and you might see Elm Park Reading in a 4th season in the Prem..which is more than most can claim

holsgrove breaks a leg

by holsgrove breaks a leg » 25 Feb 2017 20:26

Well and truly dispatched today from a team looking forward to their first premiership adventure. Relatively nip and tuck for 25-30mins but no real pressure and intent and then awful loss of possession on the attack and its two nil possibly mcshane at fault.

If we kept it 0 0 at half time who knows but as others alluded Christ we are mentally weak at times playing the better teams. It's one thing to cock up possesion in defence/mid in the way we play but to leak 2 goals through losing possession in attack/through short corners is abysmal. What is it with us being torn apart on the counter so often.

I thought Blackett/Moore were ok but was v disappointed with the rusty mcshane and the heads dropped soon after second goal. Talking of heads/heart Gunter has to play with more intensity or really what is the point of him being here other than blocking some shots and playing ok for wales. The midfield were just not in sync today, surely it's essential for jaap to find his preferred partnership in this possesion or we will continue to be all over the place.

Attacking wise McLeary had his worst game for a long time and beerens made to many wrong balls and didn't look up at play ahead of him at all when crossing. It was harsh for Kermit playing today and his frustration showed.

The next few games are vital we pick up points and maintain some continuity. Playoffs are still very much on given we can still perform against the lower teams,but if we do reach them I would be surprised at anything else other than an early exit having to maintain focus against the tougher teams.

Ohh and the wait for the train from falmer to Brighton makes the wait for mad stad bus look like a walk in the park...

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 25 Feb 2017 20:27

double d Who Is up for having a protest at STAR and the stadium next week to get the money back from ticket and travel and food and alcohol?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Something tells me they'd be refunding a lot of money for your alcohol intake from today.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 25 Feb 2017 20:46

Jesus, some absolute bellends oh here

Gobsheik

by Gobsheik » 25 Feb 2017 20:48

So, Stam's building for the future! Why has he resigned Kermogant and McCleary, they are hasbeens.

WAZZOCK

by WAZZOCK » 25 Feb 2017 20:51

Hound Even if that was all he did he has won us 5 Pts in the last month or so then

Was no lack of effort - just didn't get much of the ball. Was our best player vs Brentford only 2 games ago, and prob our most dangerous against Cardiff

Sorry, but playing well in 2 out of 12 matches just isn't good enough.

Kebe used to get slaughtered for having a similar strike rate.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 25 Feb 2017 20:54

WAZZOCK
Hound Even if that was all he did he has won us 5 Pts in the last month or so then

Was no lack of effort - just didn't get much of the ball. Was our best player vs Brentford only 2 games ago, and prob our most dangerous against Cardiff

Our form in the last 12 is 6-2-4 just above average, fairly good considering who we've played.

Stop with the wrist slitting already ffs.

Half Biscuit

by Half Biscuit » 25 Feb 2017 20:56

So, can we please just shut up about Brighton now?

They've got a good team, they deserve to be where they are, they are not going to have the perennial oxf*rd up, they have a good shout at automatic promotion, they are better than us (this year, and last, oh and the one before).
Anyone would think we had some kind of complex about them.

For Reading, finishing in the playoffs this year would be a massive achievement, and I'll be happy with that.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 25 Feb 2017 20:57

WAZZOCK

Yep we got it, you don't like Mccleary....

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 25 Feb 2017 20:57

Expected 0 points from 6

Got 0 points from 6

No panic

WAZZOCK

by WAZZOCK » 25 Feb 2017 20:59

paultheroyal
WAZZOCK

Yep we got it, you don't like Mccleary....

I don't dislike him whatsoever. I thought he had a fantastic first half of the season, and I'm highlighting my frustration at his underperforming since signing a new deal.

Melton Royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Melton, New York, Paris & Dubai - but mostly Melton and just outside the lockdown zone

by Melton Royal » 25 Feb 2017 21:07

Half Biscuit For Reading, finishing in the playoffs this year would be a massive achievement, and I'll be happy with that.

+1

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 25 Feb 2017 21:10

Melton Royal
Half Biscuit For Reading, finishing in the playoffs this year would be a massive achievement, and I'll be happy with that.

+1

+100

mambo3

by mambo3 » 25 Feb 2017 21:15

WAZZOCK I got lambasted for suggesting this the other day in the Huddersfield BFTG thread, but I'm going to reiterate it.

McCleary's head has gone since he signed his new contract.

He had a good game against Brentford and did a backheel against Cardiff, but what else has he done since the turn of the year?

He set a very high standard for himself with his fantastic form between August and December, but just when you need him to step up, he has been found wanting.

A
Played better when Samuel was in the Team

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 25 Feb 2017 21:16

I said after the Huddersfield game that we would lose this one as well and certain know-it-alls got their knickers in a twist as per usual, saying that they were glad Stam and the players had a "positive attitude". Well it's a shame they didn't show a positive attitude on the pitch. Once again it was a slow, negative, sideways and backwards performance that Stam's team are prone to. First half was a prime example, we get a free kick on the wing and instead of getting people into the box and delivering the ball in there we took it short and retreated into our own half.

Brighton are better than us and when you play teams better than you you have to put your backs against the wall and scratch and claw your way to a result. We didn't do that and made the same mistakes that we've done in every loss this season. The good teams are going to have an easy time with us because they can just sit back and wait for a mistake from us to let them in.

The play offs would be a great achievement for this team because if anyone can mess up getting into those play off places it's us.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 25 Feb 2017 21:19

Maybe we're undeserving enough to win these play-offs

God help is if we do

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 25 Feb 2017 21:23

AthleticoSpizz Maybe we're undeserving enough to win these play-offs

God help is if we do

Would be funny to see the 'worst' team we've had enter a play off campaign be the ones to finally win them.

RAF Royal

by RAF Royal » 25 Feb 2017 21:23

Okay, I've bitten. And no, I'm not an oxford newbie, though sure somebody will say I am. I don't live close, get to see about 3 home games and 3 away per year, but don't feel 'regular' enough to hold an opinion amongst the experts on here. But watched tonight on Sky and have just bristled at some of the oxford being written.

Most of what we did was spot-on, and promises much for next year and beyond. My biggest concern? Keeping Jaap, as plenty of people who know what they're talking about will look at what he's achieved and stand in admiration. This was a relegation season, according to most on here about 8 months ago. Yet we play a strong style of football, with (in some areas on the pitch) some average players. Give it 6 months (assuming we're still in the Championship - and I think we will be - and I don't care) and we will take teams apart. This was a loss to a team who look likely to win the league - but will get slaughtered next year (though hopefully for them, they will enjoy it rather than sacking Hughton by Christmas and panic buying in January. I'm married to a Blackpool fan who loved their season in the sunshine - but look what happened to them).

Get real. Some of that was quite classy. Just beaten by a team that, at the moment, are better in terms of resilience and results. I'd rather watch some decent possession football with flashes of brilliance, than League 2 hoofball that some of you crave, and which might get results to ensure mid-table mediocrity but nothing more. I've watched more 6th tier football live this year than I have 2nd tier. Go and watch that, and you'll realise that lump-ball is sooooo last year, and it's no surprise that Conference teams eat League 1/2 for fun.

Jaap - I love you. Keep going - entertain us, and results will follow. And yes, I did stand on the terraces at EP in Div 4, and it's too easy to forget how oxford that was.

Some of those marks for tonight's performances are just insulting.

147 posts