Why are we so quiet?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Why are we so quiet?

by Sutekh » 05 Mar 2017 10:12

Top Flight After the behaviour of the stewards yesterday the only conclusion I can draw is that the club don't want an atmosphere. They were actively working to snuff out any atmosphere. Since when did standing up become a crime and chanting football songs at a football match? It was very depressing to witness the behaviour of the stewards yesterday. Football has to be for everyone. Not just for families. I am saying that and I go and watch Reading as a family with my 7 year old boy and the grandad. For me it is a family occassion. But I don't like seeing all the noise and atmosphere extinguished from the stands by over zealous, lack of common sense stewarding. You can not sing when sitting down. You have to stand up to sing. That's why a choir stands up when it is time to sing a hymn in a church.

The enjoyment of football at Reading is being ruined because, what, because the club want to make it appeal to families? Well, I'm a family and football is getting less appealing every week. We are flying in the league and these are the worst crowds and atmosphere I can ever remember at Madejski Stadium since the place opened.

It is especially dissapointing because the East Stand, Y25 and Y26 were giving a good account of themselves yesterday and were outsinging Wolverhampton Wanderers until the stewards got involved and extinguished the noise. Then what do I hear from the Wolves end. They sing: This is a library. This is a library. This is a library etc.... My club is becoming passionless and soulless.

RFC, you've become a joke.

I hope you'll complain directly to the club. Probably some new bloke deciding that the terms of the stadium licence need to be enforced to the letter. Or perhaps the council/club/authorities have decided to go on an H&S kick for some reason.

Another issue for STAR to take up as well.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Mar 2017 10:18

Sounds like very strange behaviour from the stewards, esp when our esteemed stadium announcer and co constantly call to make some noise and all that

I'm not a huge fan of fans swearing at players etc, but you probably are not going to go to a football game if you are offended by the language. The family stand, where I normally end up with my kids is excellent in terms of keeping bad language to a minimum and has a few gentle songs which is perfect for the youngsters. Anyone who doesn't want to hear the language should be directed there

Much rather the stewards let y25 and 26 get on with creating some noise and atmosphere at a more 'grown up' level (obv within sensible limits). Sure the players would rather that as well

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 05 Mar 2017 10:21

See more on the club policies thread : viewtopic.php?f=2&t=135566

Looks like it's been an issue since the turn of the year.

Going to be interesting to see what happens when it becomes apparent there's a load of geordie supporters in the home stands on Tuesday.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 05 Mar 2017 10:28

Hound Sounds like very strange behaviour from the stewards, esp when our esteemed stadium announcer and co constantly call to make some noise and all that

I'm not a huge fan of fans swearing at players etc, but you probably are not going to go to a football game if you are offended by the language. The family stand, where I normally end up with my kids is excellent in terms of keeping bad language to a minimum and has a few gentle songs which is perfect for the youngsters. Anyone who doesn't want to hear the language should be directed there

Much rather the stewards let y25 and 26 get on with creating some noise and atmosphere at a more 'grown up' level (obv within sensible limits). Sure the players would rather that as well

The language from Y25 and Y26 was not offensive and is rarely ever offensive. It was just the usual songs.

Even football chanting has been gentrified these days. We never call the referee a w*nker anymore or ask who's the w*nker in the black. Now it's You don't know what you're doing.

glass half full
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you see someone without a smile..... give him one of yours!

by glass half full » 05 Mar 2017 19:52

Ian Royal
lewesroyal
Top Flight That's because no one caters anymore for the fans that want to stand up and sing. Everyone has to sit down and shut up. No foul or abuse language allowed.

And I agree, there should be no foul and abusive language. You're in a public place. Say the same things in the street within earshot of a copper and you'd be arrested. People should maybe try acting like adults. Please cheer and encourage, I know i do but I get fed up with the "It's what we've always done" excuses for behaving like morons

Nothing wrong with swearing.[/quote

Ian, I am well used to you making controversial comments, so should not be surprised by this but I would not want to have a young child in my care and be subjected to hearing some of the foul-mouthed abuse that comes out of the mouths of so-called 'fans'. :(

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Mar 2017 21:23

Sutekh See more on the club policies thread : viewtopic.php?f=2&t=135566

Looks like it's been an issue since the turn of the year.

Going to be interesting to see what happens when it becomes apparent there's a load of geordie supporters in the home stands on Tuesday.

Ha, with that ridiculous accent (could barely be any more different and still be in the same language as the dull 'southern' Reading accent) they are hardly going to go unnoticed

bracksroyal10

by bracksroyal10 » 06 Mar 2017 09:41

Standing protest for 90 minutes Tuesday night, there's only so many people the stewards can throw out!

finchroyal

by finchroyal » 07 Mar 2017 08:14

Toon army in tonight, will be dotted all over the ground, i know a couple of Leeds fans already have tickets in the home end in case they dont get allocated from there club, He was telling me there away tickets can be hard to get sometimes.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 07 Mar 2017 09:00

finchroyal He was telling me there away tickets can be hard to get sometimes.

I know how he feels. One of the downsides of being a Reading fan is the massive trouble when trying to get home or away tickets.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 08 Mar 2017 09:28

combination of:
low crowds
3 years of previous awful losing football
some occasionally dull football this year(say what you like about gungho wing play and headless chicken running about, it gets you on your feet)
the loss of some established fans, replaced with families and 'new' football fans who come to chin stroke.
& people wearing gloves which muffles our synchronised clapping abilities.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 08 Mar 2017 09:35

You can not sing when sitting down. You have to stand up to sing.
:lol: :| :lol: :| :lol: :| :lol: :|

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 08 Mar 2017 10:19

I thought the Toon fans were a bit quiet last night actually.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 08 Mar 2017 10:35

Elm Park Kid I thought the Toon fans were a bit quiet last night actually.

because we gave them a footballing lesson (and they looked happy with a point from about 70 minutes onwards) :)