BFTG Wolves

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: BFTG Wolves

by Hound » 05 Mar 2017 09:02

I don't think there is any papering over the cracks. Nobody at the club is claiming we are in any way the finished article and are almost certainly punching above our weight in terms of squad level and experience in this league

To grind out a win is testament to the mentality of the squad and players. Could easily have buckled yesterday but kept plugging away and took the opportunity brilliantly when it came

To be honest would rather be top 5 with the fairly regular turgid performance thrown in than Brentford-like entertaining but mid table. And certainly much preferred this season to the horrible mess of the last two years

I honestly think next year assuming we stay down, we will see a lot less of these type of performances and hopefully a bit closer to where Huddersfield are now, in terms of pace of playing and moving the ball

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 05 Mar 2017 09:12

Hound I don't think there is any papering over the cracks. Nobody at the club is claiming we are in any way the finished article and are almost certainly punching above our weight in terms of squad level and experience in this league

To grind out a win is testament to the mentality of the squad and players. Could easily have buckled yesterday but kept plugging away and took the opportunity brilliantly when it came

To be honest would rather be top 5 with the fairly regular turgid performance thrown in than Brentford-like entertaining but mid table. And certainly much preferred this season to the horrible mess of the last two years

I honestly think next year assuming we stay down, we will see a lot less of these type of performances and hopefully a bit closer to where Huddersfield are now, in terms of pace of playing and moving the ball

Spot on...

In my opinion the fans moaning about this style of play are the very ones who moan at others about wanting instant success. The attitude and apathy around this team whilst sitting in play offs is quite frankly embarrassing.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 05 Mar 2017 09:57

paultheroyal
Hound I don't think there is any papering over the cracks. Nobody at the club is claiming we are in any way the finished article and are almost certainly punching above our weight in terms of squad level and experience in this league

Spot on...

In my opinion the fans moaning about this style of play are the very ones who moan at others about wanting instant success. The attitude and apathy around this team whilst sitting in play offs is quite frankly embarrassing.

Yep.

Royal Tezza

by Royal Tezza » 05 Mar 2017 10:13

First game in a while, rubbish performance, three points in the bag against a poor side. I felt for the Wolves fans actually, you are in big trouble when you lose a game like that when you are desperate for points. They were good for a draw at least.

I think midfield was the issue today. We did enough to win the game but never looked in control and I was amazed how little of the ball we had outside our back 5.

Al Habsi - 7 some good saves
Blackett - 5 looked as though he wanted to turn on the style a bit today with some interesting touches, almost none of which came off. From what I've seen at him he is OK as a CB in a back 5 but never a full back. Very limited footballing ability
McShane 8 - Can't think of any negatives today. Need this guy to be fit for the rest of the year, a real leader and adapted well to Stams game
Moore 6 - I love this guy for the most part but I've noticed a few times he backs off far too much and too often when players run at him. First time I spotted it was vs United with Martial which is fair enough but he is doing it in the league too. Like a dog running away from a vacuum cleaner. Needs to be bold and close the space earlier
Gunter 7 pleases with him defensively. Didn't do much with the ball
VDB: 6 Not sure about this guy at all. Funny to watch though and did OK. Evans is better in this position
Williams 6: Did very little, I don't think he makes himself available for a pass enough
Swift 5: Something of the Ozils about his performance today and I mean that in the worst possible way. Coasted and very little impact on the ball. Has quality though (free kick for the 2nd)
Popa 6: Lively but poor final ball
Beerens 5: Did absolutely nothing
Kermy: 6 Put in a shift. Haven't seen the goal back yet

Liked Meite when he came on

Think we will be OK for top 6. Seem to recall Hull were rubbish all season last year and hung into the top 6 and went up so who knows.

Good noise from Y26 today, stewarding stuff needs to stop ASAP.

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 05 Mar 2017 10:22

Hound

Personally would love to see us go up and be shite. Just to give us a bit more financial security for the future

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 05 Mar 2017 10:25

LWJ
Hound

Personally would love to see us go up and be shite. Just to give us a bit more financial security for the future

Then all the mongs will be asking for Stam to be sacked like they did with McDermott when we went up and were sh*te.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 05 Mar 2017 10:26

Sorry ladies, that's just the way it is.

This team is shit to watch.

Agreed about people leaving early as well. Having to wait 45 mins for a bus if you miss the one that goes 2 mins after FT is unacceptable.

The match day "experience" is shit.

I bought some paint brushes and some nitromors instead FFS.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 05 Mar 2017 10:44

I honestly believe some of you would be happier people in general if you just didn't bother.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 05 Mar 2017 10:48

Lower West Playing the way we do. The players we currently have provide little to no cover for the fullbacks. That's why both Gunter and Blackett regularly get exposed. While it's great to play with "wingers". Sometimes it makes our midfield 3 look very light with no bite.

Exactly this. Stam has got to get our wingers to start dropping back and helping out the defence when needed. It can be done as Kebe started to show after a while.

Half Biscuit

by Half Biscuit » 05 Mar 2017 10:50

harry Best chant - "paedo, paedo" at Saville.

That was utterly despicable, in my view.

I hate to think what will happen when the opposition have a player called Hitler.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 05 Mar 2017 10:52

The football really isn't as bad as it has been in the past. At least we are winning and look organised.

Remember under SC when we went several games without a shot on target?

Yesterday was one of about 4 games this season where I have lost the will to live a bit.

The opposition also has some responsibility in this feeling don't they? I don't think there is an excuse for not coming other than "I don't want to" which is absolutely fine. But saying "the football is rubbish" just doesn't work for me.

It is sad that we are solid in play off positions and still only getting about 17000 with lots of empty seats. It doesn't bother me but it's just an observation. I'm happy with football as we are winning and doing well. It's a means to an end and hopefully that end is promotion in the next couple of years.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 05 Mar 2017 10:53

Gunny Fishcake We won due to the fact Wolves were so sh*te .......we were one tiny notch above sh*te that being the fact we got three points. The clock is clearly ticking......Jaap Stam is a wonderful manager, top player, won it all blah blah.....but.....his style of football is so bloody dull and boring you can keep it. Many critisise from afar, but those who pay week in week out be it season ticket holders or paying on the gate go to be entertained and have the thrill of being a excited watching our team play and hopefully win. That excitement takes place in the opponents half and when you have a chance at scoring a goal. Playing deep in our own half constantly passing across the back four and enabling our goalkeeper to be our biggest passer of the ball is not entertaining.....it's bollox .

F*ck me! People suggesting Stam should go?! :shock: :twisted:

Yes some of our games have been damn boring but nowhere near as bad as the turgid shyte that people were seemingly happy to put up with under McDermott for virtually all of last season. And at least under Stam we are winning games and looking up at promotion rather than over our shoulders in fear of relegation.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 05 Mar 2017 11:00

Muskrat
CountryRoyal
Muskrat
I've been saying this for months and didn't go today for this reason. I go to football to be entertained and Stam's style of football is frankly turgid. I've heard that he is questioning why the crowds aren't higher than they are. He must be blind to what he serves up week after week to paying customers. In the past when we've been in similar positions at this stage of the season I've barely been able to contain my excitement and looked forward to every match. This season, although we look on course for the play-offs i'm almost completely disinterested.

I am going to go on Tuesday, although more in hope than expectation :|

Join the other thousands who only decide to turn up because it's a "big team". You're in good company at least.

PMSL. I was there in 1982 watching us lose 3-2 to Preston in front of our lowest ever league attendance (about 1750 btw). Were you?

Surprisingly most who report being at that game have the exact attendance etched in their memories.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 05 Mar 2017 11:04

RoyalBlue
Gunny Fishcake We won due to the fact Wolves were so sh*te .......we were one tiny notch above sh*te that being the fact we got three points. The clock is clearly ticking......Jaap Stam is a wonderful manager, top player, won it all blah blah.....but.....his style of football is so bloody dull and boring you can keep it. Many critisise from afar, but those who pay week in week out be it season ticket holders or paying on the gate go to be entertained and have the thrill of being a excited watching our team play and hopefully win. That excitement takes place in the opponents half and when you have a chance at scoring a goal. Playing deep in our own half constantly passing across the back four and enabling our goalkeeper to be our biggest passer of the ball is not entertaining.....it's bollox .

Yes some of our games have been damn boring but nowhere near as bad as the turgid shyte that people were seemingly happy to put up with under McDermott for virtually all of last season. And at least under Stam we are winning games and looking up at promotion rather than over our shoulders in fear of relegation.

^ This. Better Stam and his style than the utterly awful, dreadful whatever the hell it actually was that the club have largely been playing over the last 3/4 seasons.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 05 Mar 2017 11:07

leon I missed the game because the M4 was fcuked and couldn't get out of London.

TBH I didn't really care, which on a potential promotion season and I've been a ST holder for 20 years speaks volumes.

I think it also says something about your (selective?) memory. We have seen far worse football played on quite a few occasions over those 20 years. I give you the second coming of McDermott for starters. And M4 out of London was fine when we came down it. I guess everything appears to be going against you at present.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 05 Mar 2017 11:12

RoyalBlue

You ain`t seen nothing yet. wait till Tuesday night

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 05 Mar 2017 12:36

RoyalBlue
leon I missed the game because the M4 was fcuked and couldn't get out of London.

TBH I didn't really care, which on a potential promotion season and I've been a ST holder for 20 years speaks volumes.

I think it also says something about your (selective?) memory. We have seen far worse football played on quite a few occasions over those 20 years. I give you the second coming of McDermott for starters. And M4 out of London was fine when we came down it. I guess everything appears to be going against you at present.

I'm not saying it's worse than anything that's gone before.

I'm saying it's just a bit boring. Hence why a lot of people don't seen massively fired up. Of course I want us to win.

I was stuck in Chiswick getting on to the M4 FYI.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 05 Mar 2017 12:37

windermereROYAL
RoyalBlue

You ain`t seen nothing yet. wait till Tuesday night

Oh, can't wait! And what would the Stam critics prefer? A third coming of McDermott perhaps? :roll:

I suggest that before they start on about this season's offering they refresh their clearly jaded memories by watching recordings of games from the past few seasons.

Fortunately, I think the owners have far more sense than those who moan about life under Stam.

And, even were we to lose to Newcastle, it wouldn't add any validity to the Stam critics' arguments. Unlike Benitez, Stam has performed a near miracle, given what he inherited and the limited resources available, to get his team to where they are now.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 05 Mar 2017 12:58

Just a thought, maybe we don't need to play well in a lot of these games to win but yet even though we can up the tempo by a couple of gears we still grind it out.

Yes the football isn't the best but so what? It works and we are a good side still. Tbf I've only been impressed with a handful of sides (Huddersfield, Brighton, Newcastle, Fulham and Brentford (in stints)). The rest of the sides we've played are average.

I think people think we aren't great because we usually win by the odd goal. Many wins like Forest, Burton, Preston, Wolves, Cardiff (home and away), Rotherham to name most should have been by bigger margins but we wasted lots of chances in those games.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 05 Mar 2017 16:03

Royal_jimmy The rest of the sides we've played are average.

Which suggests that Stam's project is on the right path. The style is taking shape before our very eyes. The players are still learning. With every game chalking up experience. If you listen to Stam's post match interviews. The players themselves need to work out the problems posed by the opposition during the game. When to play long passes and when to keep it short retaining possession.