BFTG Wolves

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

Re: BFTG Wolves

by muirinho » 06 Mar 2017 05:30

Emeraldroyal
Note for Stam. Get onto Wolves about that number 17. He's quality.

That number 17 would want to be quality, since he cost them £13 million quid. All those whining about Stam, his team, and the playing style should have a good hard look at themselves - given the resources available and the shambles of the last few seasons they've done incredibly well, and deserve a lot more support than they are getting from some quarters.

What's more, I bet if we were playing beautiful football and losing, it would be mostly the same people whining about the need to stop the pretty football and grind out some wins, because it's boring losing all the time and that's why they don't come to games.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 06 Mar 2017 05:43

muirinho
Emeraldroyal

That number 17 would want to be quality, since he cost them £13 million quid. All those whining about Stam, his team, and the playing style should have a good hard look at themselves - given the resources available and the shambles of the last few seasons they've done incredibly well, and deserve a lot more support than they are getting from some quarters.

What's more, I bet if we were playing beautiful football and losing, it would be mostly the same people whining about the need to stop the pretty football and grind out some wins, because it's boring losing all the time and that's why they don't come to games.

Well said.

Stockport Royal

by Stockport Royal » 06 Mar 2017 10:01

muirinho
Emeraldroyal

Agreed, if you pop over to Wolves' forum, gives you an insight into how other fans are struggling this year. Once guy even wishing for a few 0-0 draws in their upcoming fixtures to steady the ship. Funny that they're coming to terms with the fact they may swap league places with Fleetwood Town next year. :D :D :D

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 06 Mar 2017 10:27

I also had a quick scan round the forum - interesting they seem to also be less than happy with Lambert's whinging (and him in general).

Also noted a comment about how well Blackett had handled Costa :)

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 06 Mar 2017 10:28

Wolves will be fine, really don't see them going down.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 06 Mar 2017 10:53

CountryRoyal Wolves will be fine, really don't see them going down.

Well, they're one of those teams hitting terrible form right at the wrong time. Those two games in hand are important though. They have the quality to get over the line, especially while Bristol City have that clown in charge.

bracksroyal10

by bracksroyal10 » 06 Mar 2017 11:00

1st half - Slow, lethargic on the ball and no quick passing football, Liam Moore unusually seemed to dither on the ball when running out of the defence with it. Until it started raining, the pitch seemed to be as dry as a desert when you were watching the ball roll across the surface... HORRIBLE HORRIBLE bobbles! Whether this was a tactic we decided to use in order to stop their quick winger or not im not too sure?

Did we water the pitch down before kick off? Certainly didn't look like it.

2nd half - More of the same until Meite came on, thought he had a big influence on the game and stretched the Wolves backline giving us something different. Eventually we got ourselves to a decent tempo of play but the overall our final ball lacked the entire game again this looked to be because of the pitch.

Positives:
Popa - With a little bit of work on his delivery, he looks like he could come good. Seems like a very direct winger who held his own very well considering his small build.

Meite - Stretched the game with his pace and thought he had an impact

We scored a header from a cross!

JVDB - Generally very solid game off the ball.

Negatives:
Blackett - He was up against it from the off against a skillful ex Benfica winger but it is very clear from where I sit that he lacks confidence as a left back. We need Obita back against Newcastle IMO.

Final ball - Kermorgant, Beerens and Popa all guilty of this in particular Yann looking for the spectacular when all he had to do was play in Yakou 2nd half. Maybe the pitch to blame.

Missing Swift - Bullied off the ball, missing that spark we are all used to seeing from him. Can't recall him influencing the game that much.

Pitch - We know about this already but what about if we get to the play offs? It could dramatically affect our chances if the ball is still bouncing around like a beach ball. It looked very awkward to play on until the rain set in.

Constructive criticism:
Greedy Grabban - Did some good things with the ball but my oh my he loves an extra 2/3 touches more than what he needs which ultimately cost him and us a goal in the second half. I am confident he will start firing once he gets one. Again I feel that Stam needs to give him regular games in a central striker role in order for this to happen.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 06 Mar 2017 12:29

genome

Well, they're one of those teams hitting terrible form right at the wrong time. Those two games in hand are important though. They have the quality to get over the line, especially while Bristol City have that clown in charge.

I'm not entirely convinced this is the wrong time. Bar the very best and very worst, most teams go through small patches of form, 5/6 games or so. Still plenty of time to have a wobble and pull it back, same goes with us, which given our run in could be entirely possible.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 06 Mar 2017 12:32

bracksroyal10 Missing Swift - Bullied off the ball, missing that spark we are all used to seeing from him. Can't recall him influencing the game that much.

Beyond getting the assist for the winner you mean?

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 06 Mar 2017 12:39

Muskrat
STAR Liaison
RoyalBlue
I believe this very site says that it was 1,713 so you may be right in your recollection.

The 1713 was the figure quoted at the time but when somebody (David Downs?) brought out a stats book many years later a lot of attendance figures were a bit higher due to the different way the FL calculated them and that book relied on this previously unseen figures.

Yeah I recall the 1,713 figure now. Bit confused about how the FL would come up with a different figure though I thought it was just all of the numbers though the turnstiles added together :?

I doubt that has EVER been what the published number represents !
Certainly it isn't currently what the attendance figure tells you (current numbers are based on tickets distributed).
It's possible the FL used to require various numbers (how many actually came, how many tickets sold, how many tickets distributed) and swapped from using one to one of the others.
Numbers have probably only been accurate since turnstiles became computerised, we all know how wildly wrong numbers used to be at Elm Park for various reasons ....

bracksroyal10

by bracksroyal10 » 06 Mar 2017 12:46

CountryRoyal
bracksroyal10 Missing Swift - Bullied off the ball, missing that spark we are all used to seeing from him. Can't recall him influencing the game that much.

Yes ... thought he was anonymous other then that IMO

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 06 Mar 2017 13:04

bracksroyal10
CountryRoyal

Yes ... thought he was anonymous other then that IMO

Fair enough, but I'd call playing a major role in the goal that secured us the 3 points a fairly major influence.

I am being pedantic though, that being said I thought Swift wasn't as bad as he has been in recent weeks.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 06 Mar 2017 13:18

bracksroyal10 Pitch - We know about this already but what about if we get to the play offs? It could dramatically affect our chances if the ball is still bouncing around like a beach ball. It looked very awkward to play on until the rain set in.

Both teams play on the same pitch so the opposition would be just as much effected as us.

NeilD

by NeilD » 06 Mar 2017 13:24

marlowuk Just read Paul Lambert's comments - http://www.royals.org/readingfc-news/Paul-Lambert-slams-referee-after-Reading-FCs-2-1-win-over-Wolves - What a sore loser. I don't remember any incident that might have resulted in a penalty for them, so what was the 'stonewall penalty' that he refers to?

He also seems to be claiming that McShane was offside for our winner despite the fact that there were only half-hearted appeals from his players.

Similarly for their 'goal' that wasn't given in the first half. From the highlights it looks as if the ball might have crossed the line but there is no way Lambert could tell from his technical area and, again, no real arguments from his players.

There was a shout from their players for handball in the penalty area. Hit a defender's arm that was by his side, from a few feet away so no penalty let alone 'stonewall'. Can't think of anything else.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 06 Mar 2017 13:36

bobby1413
bracksroyal10 Pitch - We know about this already but what about if we get to the play offs? It could dramatically affect our chances if the ball is still bouncing around like a beach ball. It looked very awkward to play on until the rain set in.

Both teams play on the same pitch so the opposition would be just as much effected as us.

Not necessarily. It will depend on the style of football they like to play. The more passes, touches and even runs with the ball you look to put in, the more problematic the pitch and bobble is likely to be.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 06 Mar 2017 13:41

Muskrat
STAR Liaison
RoyalBlue
I believe this very site says that it was 1,713 so you may be right in your recollection.

The 1713 was the figure quoted at the time but when somebody (David Downs?) brought out a stats book many years later a lot of attendance figures were a bit higher due to the different way the FL calculated them and that book relied on this previously unseen figures.

Yeah I recall the 1,713 figure now. Bit confused about how the FL would come up with a different figure though I thought it was just all of the numbers though the turnstiles added together :?

The 1,713 came from Strap so that is definitive for me! :)

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 06 Mar 2017 13:45

muirinho
Emeraldroyal

Not sure that it's a question of either or.

I think Stam's done a great job - I'm just struggling with the actual football we're playing. Hopefully we'll see a more attacking approach developing in the next few months leading into next season when we smash the 106 points total getting promoted by Christmas.

bracksroyal10

by bracksroyal10 » 06 Mar 2017 14:01

RoyalBlue
bobby1413

Not necessarily. It will depend on the style of football they like to play. The more passes, touches and even runs with the ball you look to put in, the more problematic the pitch and bobble is likely to be.

Agree with both points, I think there are teams who would perhaps be a little more direct than us and as a result you are finding these sides playing long switch balls in the air where it wouldn't affect their game as much.

For us however we are all about keeping the ball on the deck with a patient passing approach. Now a lot of us will have come away from the first half describing us as lethargic on the ball, slow and not really playing with any fluidity or tempo. Whilst there were quite a few moments of poor decision making with our passing, how can the fans expect our team to play their passing game on that?

I have seen better pitches from Hellenic Non-League sides in the local area. It really does concern me as it will get to the point where a mistake due to a bobble will potentially cost us our season. e.g Play off semi finals potentially

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 06 Mar 2017 17:45

CountryRoyal
genome

I'm not entirely convinced this is the wrong time. Bar the very best and very worst, most teams go through small patches of form, 5/6 games or so. Still plenty of time to have a wobble and pull it back, same goes with us, which given our run in could be entirely possible.

Oh how I'd love to see Wolves go down