BFTG Wolves

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

Re: BFTG Wolves

by Muskrat » 05 Mar 2017 16:23

RoyalBlue
Muskrat
CountryRoyal
Join the other thousands who only decide to turn up because it's a "big team". You're in good company at least.

PMSL. I was there in 1982 watching us lose 3-2 to Preston in front of our lowest ever league attendance (about 1750 btw). Were you?

Surprisingly most who report being at that game have the exact attendance etched in their memories.

After a considerable amount of trawling of the Internet I've found out that the crowd that day was apparently 1,943. Funny, I don't remember it actually being that big! :o

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 05 Mar 2017 16:35

Chuckle Brother
CountryRoyal
leon I missed the game because the M4 was fcuked and couldn't get out of London.

TBH I didn't really care, which on a potential promotion season and I've been a ST holder for 20 years speaks volumes.

The level of apathy around the club is definitely noticeable. With the amount of people flooding out before the end you'd think we were losing 0-3.

Had to check the scoreboard to see we were actually winning. Just no one seems to care/have belief.

If you could stay till the final whistle and not have to wait nearly an hour for a bus more people probably would.

:lol:

I have never, ever, had to wait more than 15-20 minutes for a bus back to town, League One, Championship or Premier League. And I stay to clap the players off the pitch at the end of every match I've been to. It's usually no more than 5-10 minutes.

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 05 Mar 2017 17:32

RoyalBlue
Gunny Fishcake We won due to the fact Wolves were so sh*te .......we were one tiny notch above sh*te that being the fact we got three points. The clock is clearly ticking......Jaap Stam is a wonderful manager, top player, won it all blah blah.....but.....his style of football is so bloody dull and boring you can keep it. Many critisise from afar, but those who pay week in week out be it season ticket holders or paying on the gate go to be entertained and have the thrill of being a excited watching our team play and hopefully win. That excitement takes place in the opponents half and when you have a chance at scoring a goal. Playing deep in our own half constantly passing across the back four and enabling our goalkeeper to be our biggest passer of the ball is not entertaining.....it's bollox .

F*ck me! People suggesting Stam should go?! :shock: :twisted:

I never suggested or said Stam , should go , I should explain my comment re " the clock is ticking" was a reference to the fans patience at this style of football.....this post was written after several beers after the game so I apologise for any confusion.....but I stand by my comment that the entertainment factor is woeful , win or not.....most fans I know and who go week in week out are not enjoying the match day experience....the whole club seems engulfed in turgid boredom though we find ourselves in the playoffs.....even the HNA game thread yesterday was very meagre .....let's hope we have a right go at Newcastle and if we do lose go down fighting in their half

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 05 Mar 2017 17:43

Muskrat
RoyalBlue
Muskrat
PMSL. I was there in 1982 watching us lose 3-2 to Preston in front of our lowest ever league attendance (about 1750 btw). Were you?

Surprisingly most who report being at that game have the exact attendance etched in their memories.

After a considerable amount of trawling of the Internet I've found out that the crowd that day was apparently 1,943. Funny, I don't remember it actually being that big! :o

I believe this very site says that it was 1,713 so you may be right in your recollection.

marlowuk

by marlowuk » 05 Mar 2017 18:16

Just read Paul Lambert's comments - http://www.royals.org/readingfc-news/Paul-Lambert-slams-referee-after-Reading-FCs-2-1-win-over-Wolves - What a sore loser. I don't remember any incident that might have resulted in a penalty for them, so what was the 'stonewall penalty' that he refers to?

He also seems to be claiming that McShane was offside for our winner despite the fact that there were only half-hearted appeals from his players.

Similarly for their 'goal' that wasn't given in the first half. From the highlights it looks as if the ball might have crossed the line but there is no way Lambert could tell from his technical area and, again, no real arguments from his players.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 05 Mar 2017 18:33

That is one of the most bias and sour grape interviews i've ever read, what a prat. Honestly i've never liked the guy, he always seemed to be such a petulant, arrogant twat when he was managing bigger clubs. The type of guy that the interviewer has to walk on egg shells to not get ranted at. People can have some sympathy if you get a couple of bad calls against you, claiming every single call was made went against you when that is nowhere near the case just invalidates any sympathy. They were unfortunate to lose the game but the penalty was a non-event which no one other than him is talking about, Mcshane wasn't offside and you see second bookables like that all the time. Gotta laugh at the lucky goal comment, when you watch Wolves equalizer the guy looks like he's dived over the top of it, scuffs it into the ground and it rolls into the corner at about two miles an hour, hardly a master piece at decisive goals.

The Informant

by The Informant » 05 Mar 2017 19:03

Not suggesting Stam should go but it really is dull most of the time.

I know so many people that just can't be bothered to turn up anymore. Lots of people around me disappear to the Jazz at half time and watch the rest of the game up there.

The atmosphere is poor because there is no cut and thrust to the team. Passing it sideways and backwards instead of taking a risk on a through pass etc is just crap to watch. We are crap to watch and people are losing interest.

Next season though, with another pre season and some more signings hopefully we'll be a bit more attractive to watch because I really don't think I can do another season like this. I honestly don't care where we are in the league, it's just not enjoyable.

STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

by STAR Liaison » 05 Mar 2017 19:14

RoyalBlue
Muskrat
RoyalBlue

I believe this very site says that it was 1,713 so you may be right in your recollection.

The 1713 was the figure quoted at the time but when somebody (David Downs?) brought out a stats book many years later a lot of attendance figures were a bit higher due to the different way the FL calculated them and that book relied on this previously unseen figures.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 05 Mar 2017 19:54

Ian Royal
Chuckle Brother
CountryRoyal
The level of apathy around the club is definitely noticeable. With the amount of people flooding out before the end you'd think we were losing 0-3.

Had to check the scoreboard to see we were actually winning. Just no one seems to care/have belief.

If you could stay till the final whistle and not have to wait nearly an hour for a bus more people probably would.

I have never, ever, had to wait more than 15-20 minutes for a bus back to town, League One, Championship or Premier League. And I stay to clap the players off the pitch at the end of every match I've been to. It's usually no more than 5-10 minutes.

Who said anything about going into town?

I gave up with the Meteoak bus when they continually couldn't be arsed to provide buses after the games.

A massive LOL at Ian Royal lecturing us on match day logistics. Especially as he appears to be talking about his extensive experiences over 5 years ago.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 05 Mar 2017 20:24

leon
Ian Royal
Chuckle Brother

I gave up with the Meteoak bus when they continually couldn't be arsed to provide buses after the games.

A massive LOL at Ian Royal lecturing us on match day logistics. Especially as he appears to be talking about his extensive experiences over 5 years ago.

Was I talking to you? No. Do buses leave to go to town? Yes. Do the buses that go to other places hold more than a few hundred people? Probably not. Do thousands leave early? Yes.

If there's not a bus, you probably shouldn't be trying to wait for it. And your grasp of time is appalling.

Chuckle Brother

by Chuckle Brother » 05 Mar 2017 21:12

Ian Royal
Chuckle Brother
CountryRoyal

Every match ? And how many is that then ? 4 or 5 ?

Almost 45000 posts giving opinions based on listening to Tim and Mick.

And for the record, I was referring to the Foster Wheeler Park and Ride which you have obviously never used and they presumably don't talk about on the radio.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 05 Mar 2017 21:23

Ian Royal
leon
Ian Royal :lol:

If there's not a bus, you probably shouldn't be trying to wait for it. And your grasp of time is appalling.

WTAF are you talking about?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Mar 2017 21:26

The Informant Lots of people around me disappear to the Jazz at half time and watch the rest of the game up there.

I doubt that's anything to do with the football though

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 05 Mar 2017 21:29

Chuckle Brother
Ian Royal
Chuckle Brother

And for the record, I was referring to the Foster Wheeler Park and Ride which you have obviously never used and they presumably don't talk about on the radio.

Not a good idea to just blindly believe what people post on here about others . I've been attending matches since the Madejski opened, and had a ST for the previous three seasons, so somewhere in the middle hundreds thanks, despite living more than 2 hours travel away for about 15 of those years. Not every match though, I walk a fair amount because I enjoy it.

You're saying it takes an hour to wait for a shuttle bus to take you to the park and ride less than 2 miles from the stadium if you leave at kick off? I simply don't believe you. It's only a 45 minute walk (going by Google's conservative estimates). Even if it's true, it can only account for a middling proportion of people leaving, so there really wasn't any need to have a hissy fit about someone saying it's crazy for so many people to leave early.

That's probably enough on that though.

oldebiscuit

by oldebiscuit » 05 Mar 2017 21:41

Muskrat
RoyalBlue
Muskrat

I was there at the Preston game but not officially included in the attendance as my lot all bunked in that day. My memory of that day was that it pissed down with rain and a moaning Preston fan objecting to us throwing him over the wall out of the Southbank.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 05 Mar 2017 21:45

Ian Royal
Chuckle Brother
Ian Royal :lol:

Not a good idea to just blindly believe what people post on here about others . I've been attending matches since the Madejski opened, and had a ST for the previous three seasons, so somewhere in the middle hundreds thanks, despite living more than 2 hours travel away for about 15 of those years. Not every match though, I walk a fair amount because I enjoy it.

You're saying it takes an hour to wait for a shuttle bus to take you to the park and ride less than 2 miles from the stadium if you leave at kick off? I simply don't believe you. It's only a 45 minute walk (going by Google's conservative estimates). Even if it's true, it can only account for a middling proportion of people leaving, so there really wasn't any need to have a hissy fit about someone saying it's crazy for so many people to leave early.

That's probably enough on that though.

Yeah I'll walk for 45 minutes back to my car with my kids because I had to wait almost an hour for the (a?) bus I paid for.

We were leaving early to try to get a bus that left 5-10 mins after full time because if we didn't there wouldn't be a bus for 45 minutes.

Feel free to call me a liar. But you might want to check out the thread in Club Polices before getting punchy.

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 05 Mar 2017 21:50

STAR Liaison
RoyalBlue
Muskrat

The 1713 was the figure quoted at the time but when somebody (David Downs?) brought out a stats book many years later a lot of attendance figures were a bit higher due to the different way the FL calculated them and that book relied on this previously unseen figures.

Yeah I recall the 1,713 figure now. Bit confused about how the FL would come up with a different figure though I thought it was just all of the numbers though the turnstiles added together :?

The Cube

by The Cube » 05 Mar 2017 22:46

STAR Liaison
RoyalBlue
Muskrat

I have carefully recalculated the attendance based on people who say they were there, and I can confirm it was well over 10,000. Add in those I've not spoken to and I'm pretty certain that it was in fact the second highest attendance for any Reading game, beaten only by the 225,000 in Elm Park for the 1976 5-0 win over Tranmere.

For the record I missed both - age and geography respectively.

JC
Hob Nob Regular

by JC » 05 Mar 2017 23:02

The Cube
STAR Liaison
RoyalBlue

I have carefully recalculated the attendance based on people who say they were there, and I can confirm it was well over 10,000. Add in those I've not spoken to and I'm pretty certain that it was in fact the second highest attendance for any Reading game, beaten only by the 225,000 in Elm Park for the 1976 5-0 win over Tranmere.

For the record I missed both - age and geography respectively.

I missed the Tranmere game because my wife had booked to see James Last (who you might say) at the Royal Albert Hall. I know which one I would have preferred

biff

by biff » 06 Mar 2017 01:48

Not a lot said about Popa yet. I thought that was a very very handy debut. Obviously has pace, and although the final ball needs a little work, that was Stephen Hunt level willingness to chase the ball. Really rattled their left back by being on his arse the entire match. More of that.