MATCHWATCH : Preston North End (a) sponsored by WarmUpGate

136 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Preston North End (a) sponsored by WarmUpGate

by Sutekh » 09 Mar 2017 11:00

A trip to Preston beckons and another very difficult game is ahead. While their recent from is just 4 wins in their last 11 league games an additional 5 draws in that run would suggest they are also very difficult to beat. Their recent home form is also very useful with 6 league games played since they crashed 4-1 to Leeds on Boxing Day of which they've won 4 and drawn 2, including winning their last 3 games

Preston have an issue at right backwith both Alex Baptiste and Marnick Vermijl out and Jermaine Beckford also appears to be out of favour having not been involved for the last few games. However current star players Jordan Hugill and Aiden McGeady are both fit a ready to go.

Heaven knows what knocks injuries and issues are in amongst the Reading squad as every game seems to bring more surprises. Forgetting the usual unavailable suspects it would appear that Liam Moore is doubtful and also Liam Kelly may also have a knock. On top of that Garath McCleary has had a few minor niggles that the club are trying to "treat" through rest every now and again. Presuming the worst then I imagine Moore will be replaced by Obita and Popa in for McCleary. I think would also expect to see Beerens return to the left and some other midfield combination for Kelly & Mutch.

Referee

Northumberland's Scott Duncan will be the lucky chap to have control of Reading's fortunes

Previously

22 Oct 2016 > Rotherham United 0-1 Reading
12 Apr 2016 > Middlesbrough 2-1 Reading
04 Apr 2015 > Reading 1-1 Cardiff City

Historically

Another very long away trip up north to a place Reading have always struggled to get any league points. It took 9 visits to Deepdale to get a first win and there have only been 4 for Reading in the total 25 league games played there to date. In that time Preston have managed 16 home victories very much setting a low expectation for Reading on this fixture.

On the upside, since returning to Division 2 level in 2002, Reading have won 2 of the 8 league games played and managed a draw in another which gives them a better ppg ratio than in the 17 previous league games (0.87 v 0.58).

So all to play for then.

glass half full
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you see someone without a smile..... give him one of yours!

Re: MATCHWATCH : Preston North End (a) sponsored by WarmUpGate

by glass half full » 09 Mar 2017 15:17

Sutekh

A trip to Preston beckons and another very difficult game is ahead. While their recent from is just 4 wins in their last 11 league games an additional 5 draws in that run would suggest they are also very difficult to beat. Their recent home form is also very useful with 6 league games played since they crashed 4-1 to Leeds on Boxing Day of which they've won 4 and drawn 2, including winning their last 3 games

Preston have an issue at right backwith both Alex Baptiste and Marnick Vermijl out and Jermaine Beckford also appears to be out of favour having not been involved for the last few games. However current star players Jordan Hugill and Aiden McGeady are both fit a ready to go.

Heaven knows what knocks injuries and issues are in amongst the Reading squad as every game seems to bring more surprises. Forgetting the usual unavailable suspects it would appear that Liam Moore is doubtful and also Liam Kelly may also have a knock. On top of that Garath McCleary has had a few minor niggles that the club are trying to "treat" through rest every now and again. Presuming the worst then I imagine Moore will be replaced by Obita and Popa in for McCleary. I think would also expect to see Beerens return to the left and some other midfield combination for Kelly & Mutch.

Referee

Northumberland's Scott Duncan will be the lucky chap to have control of Reading's fortunes

Previously

22 Oct 2016 > Rotherham United 0-1 Reading
12 Apr 2016 > Middlesbrough 2-1 Reading
04 Apr 2015 > Reading 1-1 Cardiff City

Historically

Another very long away trip up north to a place Reading have always struggled to get any league points. It took 9 visits to Deepdale to get a first win and there have only been 4 for Reading in the total 25 league games played there to date. In that time Preston have managed 16 home victories very much setting a low expectation for Reading on this fixture.

On the upside, since returning to Division 2 level in 2002, Reading have won 2 of the 8 league games played and managed a draw in another which gives them a better ppg ratio than in the 17 previous league games (0.87 v 0.58).

So all to play for then.

Thanks, Sutekh.

As always, very thorough and informative.

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 09 Mar 2017 16:56

Heard there will be a stream online for this?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 09 Mar 2017 17:09

If Moore's out, what would you expect the team to be... a switch back to three centrebacks to make up for it with JVDB and Blackett coming into it? Blackett as a direct replacement and Obita LB, or the dreaded JVDB partnering McShane and Blackett staying LB?

I think I'd probably look at:

.......................Al-Habsi
..Gunter, McShane, Blackett, Obita
............Williams, Berg, Kelly
...McCleary, Kermorgant, Beerens

10539.4 Miles Away
Hob Nob Regular

by 10539.4 Miles Away » 10 Mar 2017 03:08

LoyalRoyal22 Heard there will be a stream online for this?

Very likely to be streams, BeIN sports have picked it for their live game this week, god knows why but I'm not complaining!

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 10 Mar 2017 10:05

Ian Royal If Moore's out, what would you expect the team to be... a switch back to three centrebacks to make up for it with JVDB and Blackett coming into it? Blackett as a direct replacement and Obita LB, or the dreaded JVDB partnering McShane and Blackett staying LB?

I think I'd probably look at:

.......................Al-Habsi
..Gunter, McShane, Blackett, Obita
............Williams, Berg, Kelly
...McCleary, Kermorgant, Beerens

Stick with how we set up after he went off in the Newcastle match. Looked very solid.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 10 Mar 2017 16:04

Preston have none of their 4 right backs available due to injury so possibly may alter formation to 3 at the back to accommodate a suitable change. Midfielder John Welsh is also injured.

Would suggest, therefore, that Beerens, or whoever Stam selects to play on the left, needs to really take the game to them down that side and get them very edgy and unsure - particularly early on in proceedings.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 10 Mar 2017 16:24

But that is exactly what they will expect us to do. If we actually spend the first 20 minutes passing 10 yarders between Habsi, McShane and Gunter deep on our right, which is exactly what we've already done 36 times this season, THAT'll be the last thing they expect and will shake them badly, into losing!!!!

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 10 Mar 2017 16:27

Ian Royal But that is exactly what they will expect us to do. If we actually spend the first 20 minutes passing 10 yarders between Habsi, McShane and Gunter deep on our right, which is exactly what we've already done 36 times this season, THAT'll be the last thing they expect and will shake them badly, into losing!!!!

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 10 Mar 2017 16:46

Ah Warm-up g8 explained here for any newbies: http://www.royals.org/matdoc/050200.html

There was controversy before the game even started, with both teams trying to warm up in the same half of the field. I can't fathom Reading's reasonings for this, but Howie refused to change ends despite repeated requests from the PNE keepers, stewards, groundsmen and somebody in a suit. This speread out over 15 minutes, with both teams cramping the far half. Finally, the man in the suit persuaded Mad Dog to take his troops into the other half, and the deserted Howie and van der Kwaak gave in and soon followed. Bizarre, but good fun to watch.

Embarrassed of Cambridgeshire Great game, good result - no doubt about that. But what was the rubbish during the warm up all about? I went to the game with a friend who is a PNE supporter so was sitting in the stand with him amongst all the PNE fans. I have never been so embarrassed by a Reading team who acted like a bunch of spoilt school kids during the warm up. Any neutral fans - like another friend who came with us - were turned immediately into PNE fans.
Obviously I don't know all that was going on and what was being said but if this is Reading's latest tactic, then we are not going to win any friends on our travels for our sporting behaviour.

Phil Moss, Preston supporter It is with pity and scorn that I write to you, expressing my indignation at your teams silly, pureile pre-match antics on Saturday. A 14 player warm up with coach is slightly uncommon, but yours was clearly designed to aggrevate our players and supporters, by waming up in a half of the pich the Preston players consider to be their own. Not only did our stewards ask the squad to move, but the Ground Safety officer, PNE's coach, players and finally the Preston Police. Clearly an underachieving side, your dirty cheating behaviour may have helped you earn a point.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 11 Mar 2017 13:58

Reading XI : Habsi, Gunter, McShane, Blackett, Obita, Swift, Berg, Mutch, McCleary, Grabban, Kermorgant

Subs : Jaakkola, Evans, Beerens, Meite, Popa, Williams, Oxford

Preston XI : Maxwell, Clarke, Boyle, Huntington, Cunningham, Barkhuizen, McGeady, Hugill, Pearson, Gallagher, Robinson

Subs : Lindegaard, Spurr, Browne, Beckford, Robinson, May, Makienok

Dick Habbin's hairdo
Hob Nob Regular

by Dick Habbin's hairdo » 11 Mar 2017 14:27

10539.4 Miles Away
Very likely to be streams, BeIN sports have picked it for their live game this week, god knows why but I'm not complaining!

Luvverly jubbly.... just flicked over to BeinHD12.... </armchair fan> Although, gawd knows, it's never pretty when we're on the gogglebox.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 11 Mar 2017 14:39

What website can I watch this on? The ones I've tried are just full of adverts and no actual streams

ROWY

by ROWY » 11 Mar 2017 14:42

Good to see Grabban has kept his place
Rubbish on Tuesday, but would have really hurt his feelings if he had been left out

IceIceGylfi

by IceIceGylfi » 11 Mar 2017 15:09

bobby1413 What website can I watch this on? The ones I've tried are just full of adverts and no actual streams

http://cricfree.sc/watch/live/preston-n ... -streaming

Go on it and above the feed there are various yellow buttons. Click "Stream 34" and click off all the ads and you have an English stream

super darren caskey
Hob Nob Regular

by super darren caskey » 11 Mar 2017 15:13

For those that just want the match atmos and no commentary

http://vipbox.top/soccer/see-9cdbi-pres ... 1455173851

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 11 Mar 2017 15:24

It appears we are not converting on a number of good chances. Could/should easily be a couple up now...

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 11 Mar 2017 15:25

Yep, nice one Reading. Blackett at fault but how oxf*rd easy was that?

Melton Royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Melton, New York, Paris & Dubai - but mostly Melton and just outside the lockdown zone

by Melton Royal » 11 Mar 2017 15:25

Blackett makes a mess of things & Preston go 1 up

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 11 Mar 2017 15:26

1-0 down :(

Don't fancy our chances of coming back to be honest

136 posts