Back from listening to the game v preston on the radio

harry
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Back from listening to the game v preston on the radio

by harry » 11 Mar 2017 21:18

Woodcote Royal This is starting to remind me of Tommy Burns infamous January transfer window when he brought in 6? Scottish players who were mostly dire except for Grant Brebner but played them regardless.

I'm sure Brebner was a signing the summer afterwards along with Murts & probably Van Der Kwaak & Elroy Kromheer.

The "Magnificent 7" weren't all Scots although most were dire:

Paul Brayson was English and dire would have been an improvement.
Paddy Kelly was Irish and a decent centre back. I still maintain that if Craig Hignett had not broken Kelly's leg we would have stayed up that season. This is the other reason I still hate Hignett.
I think Jimmy Crawford was Irish as well, although I think he'd played a bit in Scotland.

The other 4 were Scots though:
Jimmy McIntyre
Robert Fleck
Stuart Gray
Scott Howie

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 11 Mar 2017 21:32

I hope Oxford starts next game,

When is Ilori back?

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 11 Mar 2017 21:57

I hate those who slag off Gunter.

However, I saw the highlights on the Football League show. what was he doing when the defender was running at him:

- he appeared to be about 2 seconds behind the pace
- once beaten he just stood out the way and watched rather than running back in

Strange really

Blackett - I've said for months he's utter sh*t

Funny though i heard someone today complimenting him and saying he's developing so well. I've not seen that personally.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 11 Mar 2017 22:09

Ascotexgunner We have two of the worst fullbacks in the championship. Gunter and Blackett were utterly clueless and are easily beaten for pace. Blackett has the turning circle of an oil tanker. I know we are fifth but I feel the playoffs are slipping away. Fulham are on the march and I think we may be the ones who suffer and drop out.

Blackett was playing centreback.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 11 Mar 2017 22:11

motm v Barnsley

We have so many inconsistent/but yet match-winning players

Loving the title of this thread btw......where's Ian?
Last edited by AthleticoSpizz on 11 Mar 2017 22:14, edited 1 time in total.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 11 Mar 2017 22:12

Royal_jimmy
Pepe the Horseman I was actually at the game. Not as bad as the scoreline suggests. First was a mistake from Blackett. Second was the most blatant handball I've ever seen. Couldn't really see the third, but was game over by then.

Even before he scored Barkhuizen was the stand out player. Great touch and just looked a class above.

Mutch was better, before he went off, but after Tuesday night Williams had to start.

Grabban offered​ nothing again - either play him upfront, or don't play him at all.

I hope Oxford's cameo was with an eye of playing him on Fri night ahead of Blackett.

The same Barkhuizen who I watched for Morecambe who couldn't hit a barn door with a banjo against Carlisle in a league 2 game this season yet he puts 2 past our defence today. God help us! :roll:

Yeh, guess our terrible players improved his touch and finishing.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 11 Mar 2017 22:39

double d That was one of the worst games I have ever listened to before. I llam a dedicated fan, i may not have been to a game for 8 years

You lost me there.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 11 Mar 2017 22:43

Half decent teams have worked out our Plan A. We have no plan B.

We have shit defensive cover. We have shit attack. F**k knows how we are where we are. Probably the 72trillion midfielders we've bought aho make up for it.

But this is a great 1st season for Stam.

Looking forward to next season in the champ when it starts clicking more.

double d

by double d » 11 Mar 2017 22:44

2 world wars, 1 world cup
double d That was one of the worst games I have ever listened to before. I llam a dedicated fan, i may not have been to a game for 8 years

You lost me there.

I probably listen to more games then you and know the names of more players then you so I'm a better fan

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 11 Mar 2017 23:07

^ Double Dave Royal^ alert

Emeraldroyal

by Emeraldroyal » 12 Mar 2017 00:44

double d That was one of the worst games I have ever listened to before. I llam a dedicated fan, i may not have been to a game for 8 years but i listen to every game on the radio we play and that was by far one of the worst. It sounded abysmal. Even the normally great commentary team sounded deflated and they know that this is the start of a downward spiral. The way that it seemed we played was nonsensical and hopeless. I'm glad I didn't pay all the money to go there today. I am going to protest at the training ground next week. Sack jack stamp and the owners. They are turning us into the next Stockport at this rate. We may aswell sack our manager and get somebody in like di canio or rowett who is a good manager and proven in the premier league.

0/10 for all players.
10/10 for Preston.
The referee can be described as faultless.

Have you ever tried playing with matches you complete oxf*rd ?

Emeraldroyal

by Emeraldroyal » 12 Mar 2017 00:56

mambo3
Pepe the Horseman I was actually at the game. Not as bad as the scoreline suggests. First was a mistake from Blackett. Second was the most blatant handball I've ever seen. Couldn't really see the third, but was game over by then.

Even before he scored Barkhuizen was the stand out player. Great touch and just looked a class above.

Mutch was better, before he went off, but after Tuesday night Williams had to start.

Grabban offered​ nothing again - either play him upfront, or don't play him at all.

I hope Oxford's cameo was with an eye of playing him on Fri night ahead of Blackett.

Why has everyone got it in for Blackett? I've seen Liam, Gunter make the same errors and everyone has amnesia.

Because he's oxf*rd shite ! Blackett
I'm sick of people making excuses for him he's a professional footballer who earns more than you or I in a month and he's simply crap at his job !
In my world if you're shit you get placed on performance indicators which is a polite way of saying 'you're oxf*rd shit' at what you do. Failing that you get told the door is that way !!!!!
Tyler thank you for your efforts and your time but your oxf*rd shit,
Ironically you can plough your trade across the leagues and make yourself a millionaire without winning oxf*rd all !
On your head be it !

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 12 Mar 2017 02:48

It's staggering to think Blacket had on his CV ex Man Utd player. People say we have over achieved this season yet today we were hammered by a team with a fraction of our budget. An experianced manager playing simple football. I'm not bothered if we don't make the play offs we will get trounced whoever we play. And save me 25 squid having to watch another dreary game.

double d

by double d » 12 Mar 2017 07:50

Emeraldroyal
double d That was one of the worst games I have ever listened to before. I llam a dedicated fan, i may not have been to a game for 8 years but i listen to every game on the radio we play and that was by far one of the worst. It sounded abysmal. Even the normally great commentary team sounded deflated and they know that this is the start of a downward spiral. The way that it seemed we played was nonsensical and hopeless. I'm glad I didn't pay all the money to go there today. I am going to protest at the training ground next week. Sack jack stamp and the owners. They are turning us into the next Stockport at this rate. We may aswell sack our manager and get somebody in like di canio or rowett who is a good manager and proven in the premier league.

0/10 for all players.
10/10 for Preston.

Actually I know more about reading then you even if I have never gone to a game I listen to all of them so I'm a real fan. Even since I decided to support them a few years ago they have been going down hill and I thought Jack stamp would be the one who would emulate sir Steve Cotterill and get 106 points like the old reading team apparently did (i was a supporter of arsenal back then) but he has done nothing but put these players on a downward spiral and we may aswell get relegated to the non leagues and start over as afc reading royals

WAZZOCK

by WAZZOCK » 12 Mar 2017 08:40

^ that's lightened the mood :lol:

Emeraldroyal

by Emeraldroyal » 12 Mar 2017 08:51

double d
Emeraldroyal

0/10 for all players.
10/10 for Preston.

Actually I know more about reading then you even if I have never gone to a game I listen to all of them so I'm a real fan. Even since I decided to support them a few years ago they have been going down hill and I thought Jack stamp would be the one who would emulate sir Steve Cotterill and get 106 points like the old reading team apparently did (i was a supporter of arsenal back then) but he has done nothing but put these players on a downward spiral and we may aswell get relegated to the non leagues and start over as afc reading royals

I feel bad now. A Ricky gervais in extras moment (for those in the know)
I didn't know you were 'a bit special'

Here. Have a lollipop. Bless.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 12 Mar 2017 08:59

Defenders appeared (to me at least) to have been given strict instructions not to press hard. There were a few instances I noticed where Blackett or McShane could have cut off a move early but seemed reluctant to do so. This was much more noticeable with Blackett as he seemed a tad more forward then McShane for long periods so I dont know if this was the tactic or just poor decision making.

JVDB it looked like was given the instruction to cut off movement through the centre which he does very well. Unfortunately he has the final ball of a 12 year old. He often flapped at his team mates in frustration for not getting into good positions for him to pass to when on the ball but I cant recall him completing a single forward pass in the 2nd half.

Swift moves into nice positions but we were awful whenever they pressed us high. I may be wrong but I think his game suffered more due to the positional sense of those around him. He would be forced into a pass but the high press meant that team mate would invariably pass it backwards or sideways to nothing until someone would try a ball over the top.

Grabban seems kak.

The Informant

by The Informant » 12 Mar 2017 09:07

I am actually BFTG

Just more proof that Stam isn't learning. More poofy passing around and getting caught. More reason for me to not want this guy managing us.

No immediacy to our game, so predictable, shit and quite frankly boring.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 12 Mar 2017 09:16

The Informant I am actually BFTG

Just more proof that Stam isn't learning. More poofy passing around and getting caught. More reason for me to not want this guy managing us.

Yeah, bring back Adkins!

Also, side note - good to see Dave's back with a bang. Not sure why this thread has garnered actual responses.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 12 Mar 2017 09:49

The Informant I am actually BFTG

F*cking BS. you were not there. if you were you would have seen the fast passing attacking football in the first half hour. it was far from boring and negative. it appeared only a matter of time before we made the pressure tell.
unfortunately as soon as they scored it turned into a real struggle after that.