Back from listening to the game v preston on the radio

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Back from listening to the game v preston on the radio

by bobby1413 » 12 Mar 2017 10:31

The players need to take a long hard look at themselves. JS too.

How we can be 3rd for most of the season and 5th now and then get trounced 3-0 by Preston and also by Brighton - albeit they are a good team.

When we lose, we really do lose badly such as our 5-0 loss at Fulham and 4-1 loss against Brentford.

I am getting a bit sick of the playing it from the back and watching AAH nearly make a catastrophic error each time, and then lots of sideways passing.

It's funny as last night I was thinking that it doesn't feel like it's a good season or that we are doing really well. By that I mean, in other seasons I was "buzzing" (hate that word) all the time and it was exciting looking forward to the next game. Now I'm just a bit :| about the whole thing.

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 12 Mar 2017 10:52

^^
Play on repeat.

harry
Hob Nob Regular

by harry » 12 Mar 2017 11:05

Coming into it we knew this was going to be a tough set of games. And it's proving the case, especially with some injuries to key players.
I think some perspective is required from some fans.
Friday is now a massive game, but they pretty well all are until the end of the season.
Last Summer I'd have ripped your arm off for an outside sniff of the play-offs.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 12 Mar 2017 11:13

bobby1413 It's funny as last night I was thinking that it doesn't feel like it's a good season or that we are doing really well. By that I mean, in other seasons I was "buzzing" (hate that word) all the time and it was exciting looking forward to the next game. Now I'm just a bit :| about the whole thing.

That's probably why there have been confusing attendances despite our league position.

I can understand some fans don't enjoy that type of football. It's not my favourite style either (I'll take 4-4-2 with fast wingers and overlapping full-backs every time) but you can't deny Stam's record has been brilliant this season, and the players are buying into it, which is good. So I find it hard to criticise him in general terms, especially for such an inexperienced manager.

It's up to him to fix the undoubted weaknesses. The acid test for him is that he no longer has the element of surprise, and the opposition are starting to suss the system out, especially away from home.

But, one of the things that came out of last season was that the team lacked identity, and that went a long way to explaining our struggles and the poor atmosphere around the club and squad, I think. Brian certainly mentioned it. For better for worse, Stam has given the team an identity and whatever happens this season it's a good platform to build on.

Obviously I'd like us to stay in the play-off positions, but if we end up top 10 then it's still a much improved season.

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 12 Mar 2017 11:39

Just watched and listened to Stam's post match interview on YouTube. Aside from being three minutes and thirty-eight seconds of my life that I'll never get back, a couple of observations :

1) Stam talks bollox most of the time.
2) In the background I could see Preston using high lux lighting rigs to encourage grass growth on their pitch. Maybe we ought to be doing that?

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 12 Mar 2017 12:15

Doesn't look all that impressive to me.

mambo3

by mambo3 » 12 Mar 2017 12:26

Emeraldroyal
mambo3
Pepe the Horseman I was actually at the game. Not as bad as the scoreline suggests. First was a mistake from Blackett. Second was the most blatant handball I've ever seen. Couldn't really see the third, but was game over by then.

Even before he scored Barkhuizen was the stand out player. Great touch and just looked a class above.

Mutch was better, before he went off, but after Tuesday night Williams had to start.

Grabban offered​ nothing again - either play him upfront, or don't play him at all.

I hope Oxford's cameo was with an eye of playing him on Fri night ahead of Blackett.

Why has everyone got it in for Blackett? I've seen Liam, Gunter make the same errors and everyone has amnesia.

Because he's oxf*rd shite ! Blackett
I'm sick of people making excuses for him he's a professional footballer who earns more than you or I in a month and he's simply crap at his job !
In my world if you're shit you get placed on performance indicators which is a polite way of saying 'you're oxf*rd shit' at what you do. Failing that you get told the door is that way !!!!!
Tyler thank you for your efforts and your time but your oxf*rd shit,
Ironically you can plough your trade across the leagues and make yourself a millionaire without winning oxf*rd all !
On your head be it !

On that basis half the Team would have to go and also the manager then if we don't get to the playoffs.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 12 Mar 2017 12:36

Pepe the Horseman I was actually at the game. Not as bad as the scoreline suggests. First was a mistake from Blackett. Second was the most blatant handball I've ever seen.

Good to have confirmation of the handball for their second from someone who was at the game. It looked suspiciously like it on the stream, even though the crap 'Derek Williams' commentator failed to spot it, and AAH immediately gestured for handball and chased out towards the ref.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 12 Mar 2017 12:38

genome
bobby1413 But, one of the things that came out of last season was that the team lacked identity, and that went a long way to explaining our struggles and the poor atmosphere around the club and squad, I think. Brian certainly mentioned it. For better for worse, Stam has given the team an identity and whatever happens this season it's a good platform to build on.

Stam's influence extends beyond the team to the whole club. Stam's objectives are long term. Something to be applauded as the foundations will be laid for the future. Long after he has moved on.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 12 Mar 2017 12:40

Muskrat 1) Stam talks bollox most of the time.

Stam can only work with the players at his disposal. Those that aren't up to the job will be replaced. I find his interviews refreshingly honest.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 12 Mar 2017 12:42

windermereROYAL
The Informant I am actually BFTG

Just more proof that Stam isn't learning. More poofy passing around and getting caught. More reason for me to not want this guy managing us.

No immediacy to our game, so predictable, shit and quite frankly boring.

F*cking BS. you were not there. if you were you would have seen the fast passing attacking football in the first half hour. it was far from boring and negative. it appeared only a matter of time before we made the pressure tell.
unfortunately as soon as they scored it turned into a real struggle after that.

Watching on the live stream, I would very much agree with your assessment from being at the game.

WAZZOCK

by WAZZOCK » 12 Mar 2017 13:44

bobby1413 It's funny as last night I was thinking that it doesn't feel like it's a good season or that we are doing really well. By that I mean, in other seasons I was "buzzing" (hate that word) all the time and it was exciting looking forward to the next game. Now I'm just a bit :| about the whole thing.

Were you excited during the past two seasons?

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 12 Mar 2017 13:46

WAZZOCK

Were you excited during the past two seasons?

Absolutely not, in fact I think several home games I felt pissed off at wasting about 4 hours of my Saturday watching terrible, boring, dull football.

I'm backing JS all the way. I've said also before on here that I think the next 1-2 seasons we will improve and things will really come together. We're not ready for promotion yet and if we slipped out of the play offs I really wouldn't be too gutted about it. It's not our time yet

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 12 Mar 2017 13:53

Muskrat 2) In the background I could see Preston using high lux lighting rigs to encourage grass growth on their pitch. Maybe we ought to be doing that?

Probably due to the fact sunlight is an alien concept in that part of the world

Noticed on the Hull highlights last night their pitch is as awful as ours. Also had the bizarre absolute lack of grass around the touch lines - it must be rugby related surely though not quite sure how exactly.

There's a shame there aren't more people who actually went to the game. Those that did actually sound quite positive.

The abuse of Blackett is pretty poor on here - he was excellent against Newcastle and genuinely has been at CB. Despite the fact he came from Man U, this is his first real season playing regularly in a very tough league. He is a young lad learning the game still, people should give him some slack. Cooper did far worse virtually every game he played last year and is now apparently playing superbly for Millwall

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 12 Mar 2017 13:56

I figure the touchlines being bare might be the groundsmen focussing on maintaining the playing areas of the pitch, so the touchlines get more neglected.

mambo3

by mambo3 » 12 Mar 2017 14:06

Lower West

Stam can only work with the players at his disposal. Those that aren't up to the job will be replaced. I find his interviews refreshingly honest.

Most of the squad were bought by stam.

mambo3

by mambo3 » 12 Mar 2017 14:07

Lower West

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 12 Mar 2017 14:39

Pepe the Horseman
Ascotexgunner We have two of the worst fullbacks in the championship. Gunter and Blackett were utterly clueless and are easily beaten for pace. Blackett has the turning circle of an oil tanker. I know we are fifth but I feel the playoffs are slipping away. Fulham are on the march and I think we may be the ones who suffer and drop out.

Blackett was playing centreback.

Indeed you are correct but he's been playing in the full back role most of the time, and when you saw his mistake yesterday and the speed of recovery you realise that....like Gunter....he is so slow and its costing us points whether he's fullback or central defence.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 12 Mar 2017 14:46

mambo3
Lower West

Although Al-Habsi, Gunter, McShane, Obita, Evans, Williams, Kelly, McCleary and Kermorgant weren't and that's a big slice of our regulars.

The likes of Weiser and Mendes can be quietly forgotten, I suspect Grabban and Mutch will go the same way and Ilori and Harriott have injury woes.

Stam's signed plenty, but there's always going to be a failure rate and it's far from the majority of the regulars.

Half Biscuit

by Half Biscuit » 12 Mar 2017 15:25

genome

That's probably why there have been confusing attendances despite our league position.

I can understand some fans don't enjoy that type of football. It's not my favourite style either (I'll take 4-4-2 with fast wingers and overlapping full-backs every time) but you can't deny Stam's record has been brilliant this season, and the players are buying into it, which is good. So I find it hard to criticise him in general terms, especially for such an inexperienced manager.

It's up to him to fix the undoubted weaknesses. The acid test for him is that he no longer has the element of surprise, and the opposition are starting to suss the system out, especially away from home.

But, one of the things that came out of last season was that the team lacked identity, and that went a long way to explaining our struggles and the poor atmosphere around the club and squad, I think. Brian certainly mentioned it. For better for worse, Stam has given the team an identity and whatever happens this season it's a good platform to build on.

Obviously I'd like us to stay in the play-off positions, but if we end up top 10 then it's still a much improved season.

Very sensible analysis.

I suspect that if even 7th place had been promised at the beginning of the season, there would have been so much ripping off of arms that no one would have any arms to rip off arms with.