45%
Ian Royal
44%

Total votes: 73
Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

Re: If RFC don't make the play-offs....

by Hendo » 15 Mar 2017 10:46

A prang of disappointment, having been up there for the majority of the season. But it wouldn't be the end of the world at all, a vastly improved season on the whole, although certain away performances have been annoyingly poor, however, our home form has been excellent this season, which is what successful campaigns are built on. Step 1 has to win the majority of home games and then look to improve away performances.

Despite our record in the playoffs, no one can deny that they are exciting games to be a part of and I think I would be disappointed not to have an experience like Wigan (h) or Cardiff (a) game to look forward to.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 15 Mar 2017 10:48

Looking at our remaining fixtures and what I think we will achieve, ignoring goal difference because we are not finishing ahead of anyone on goal difference this season.

Sheff Wed (A) - L
Leeds (H) - W
Blackburn (H) - W
Norwich (A) - L
Villa (A) - L
Rotherham (H) - W
Forest (A) - W
Wigan (H) - W
Burton (A) - W

Of course there's the RTG element but I'm basing this on our strong record not only at home but against bottom half teams overall, I think of the bottom half teams Burton are likely to be our biggest test but, last game of the season I feel their fate will have already been decided, hell ours might be at that, which could influence the result as we may be resting players for the play-offs, wouldn't that be great?

I have also factored in our poor away record to the top half sides, thus defeats to Sheff Wed, Norwich and Villa, that would leave us on 82pts and surely comfortably in the play-offs, hopefully there is some leeway there in case of a couple of those wins not materialising but it looks like we have quite a favourable run in.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 15 Mar 2017 10:48

I would be disappointed, that we let our position slip, naturally. We have been in the top 6 most of the season now so i would expect us to stay there, however, if we dont i would still be happy with the season. We have advanced in so many ways a playoff position would just be the icing on the cake. As far as I'm concerned the cake doesnt need icing.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 15 Mar 2017 10:53

No Fixed Abode Why's that? Aren't Fulham only 3 points behind and there are still 9 games to go..?

genome Erm, why? They are 3 points away with 27 points to play for. They will be in the top 6 if they win at the weekend due to the fact us and Wednesday are playing each other and they have a superior GD.

My explanation is in the original post if you both care to read it instead of scanning for areas to point fingers at.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 15 Mar 2017 11:01

The OP was made after Fulham drew :?

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 15 Mar 2017 11:05

John Smith
Hound I agree with that, very disappointing.

I'd like to think that those who post on here are often the extreme end of opinions and a small subset, but the attendances reflect the negativity as well.

Don't quite know why really, but must be frustrating for the players etc

As if they really care what fans think.

This thread is now virtually redundant due to the fact Fulham drew last night. Football changes every week, especially in this league.

if they win and we lose next game, they go above us (iirc)

The Informant

by The Informant » 15 Mar 2017 11:08

No Fixed Abode
Ian Royal Been not bothered all season.

I don't think this is really the case is it Ian?

Expectations wouldn't have been high at the start of the season but seeing as Reading have been in the top 6 for the majority - surely fans would be a little bothered if Reading missed out now.

He's so not bothered that he feels the need to comment on every BFTG and pre game thread all season, over analysing absolutely everything.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 15 Mar 2017 11:21

No Fixed Abode

Expectations wouldn't have been high at the start of the season but seeing as Reading have been in the top 6 for the majority - surely fans would be a little bothered if Reading missed out now.

It's my opinion Kes. I'm not bothered about finishing outside the play offs, i haven't been bothered all season.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 15 Mar 2017 11:29

The Informant
No Fixed Abode

He's so not bothered that he feels the need to comment on every BFTG and pre game thread all season, over analysing absolutely everything.

Quite. He's one of those football fans who tries to convince himself he's not bothered.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 15 Mar 2017 11:58

tidus_mi2 Looking at our remaining fixtures and what I think we will achieve, ignoring goal difference because we are not finishing ahead of anyone on goal difference this season.

Sheff Wed (A) - L
Leeds (H) - W
Blackburn (H) - W
Norwich (A) - L
Villa (A) - L
Rotherham (H) - W
Forest (A) - W
Wigan (H) - W
Burton (A) - W

Of course there's the RTG element but I'm basing this on our strong record not only at home but against bottom half teams overall, I think of the bottom half teams Burton are likely to be our biggest test but, last game of the season I feel their fate will have already been decided, hell ours might be at that, which could influence the result as we may be resting players for the play-offs, wouldn't that be great?

I have also factored in our poor away record to the top half sides, thus defeats to Sheff Wed, Norwich and Villa, that would leave us on 82pts and surely comfortably in the play-offs, hopefully there is some leeway there in case of a couple of those wins not materialising but it looks like we have quite a favourable run in.

I'll go for

Sheff Wed (A) - L
Leeds (H) - D
Blackburn (H) - W
Norwich (A) - L
Villa (A) - L
Rotherham (H) - W
Forest (A) - L
Wigan (H) - W
Burton (A) - D

75 points, enough for almost every season but might not be this year. That's me being fairly pessimistic in my predictions as well and tbh, if we get less than that then we would have been undeserving of a playoff spot anyway.

Important not to lose on Friday. Wednesday fans reckon that they struggle against teams which sit back and play for the point, and that they dispatched Norwich because they didn't.. a slight worry. Hope Stam has done his homework. Either way is there much point in even trying to attack? 5 games out of 7 without scoring a goal suggests not.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 15 Mar 2017 12:03

The real question is are Sheffield Wednesday good on the break? If they are they will win comfortably, if not it will be a much closer affair.

bracksroyal10

by bracksroyal10 » 15 Mar 2017 12:11

1.We lose Stam

2.We lose Brian

3.We also potentially lose the likes of Swift, Williams, Kelly etc to PL clubs.

If we don't make the PL, we risk losing any potential buyers and we also risk being in a situation once again where the Thai owners do not want to invest in the club like AZ.

Having said that, I would like to think that like Swansea we will try a continuation of our current style by bringing in suitable managers as they have.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 15 Mar 2017 12:26

Hound on its own, missing out on the playoffs would be annoying but wouldn't mind too much.

My fear would be if for whatever reason it set off a train of events of Tevreden/Stam moving on, takeover not happening, and starting back at square 1

My thoughts exactly.

The Informant

by The Informant » 15 Mar 2017 12:27

bracksroyal10 1.We lose Stam

2.We lose Brian

If we don't make the PL, we risk losing any potential buyers and we also risk being in a situation once again where the Thai owners do not want to invest in the club like AZ.

Having said that, I would like to think that like Swansea we will try a continuation of our current style by bringing in suitable managers as they have.

Please god no

bracksroyal10

by bracksroyal10 » 15 Mar 2017 12:46

The Informant

2.We lose Brian

Please god no

Why not? Granted we still need to work on a plan B but look where it has got us in a season

Very short sighted IMO .. prefer it when we played BMD hoofball?

The Informant

by The Informant » 15 Mar 2017 12:48

No Fixed Abode
The Informant
No Fixed Abode

Quite. He's one of those football fans who tries to convince himself he's not bothered.

Fan?

Stretching it some what. He changes like the weather.

The Informant

by The Informant » 15 Mar 2017 12:48

bracksroyal10
The Informant

2.We lose Brian

Please god no

Why not? Granted we still need to work on a plan B but look where it has got us in a season

Because it has to be one or the other.

What a stupid comment :lol:

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 15 Mar 2017 13:03

Sheff Wed (A) - L
Leeds (H) - D
Blackburn (H) - W
Norwich (A) - W
Villa (A) - L
Rotherham (H) - W
Forest (A) - W
Wigan (H) - D
Burton (A) - L

I think we will end up on something like 77-78

Davezk

by Davezk » 15 Mar 2017 13:37

Wheres run on the pitch?

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 15 Mar 2017 13:40

bracksroyal10
The Informant

2.We lose Brian

Please god no

We didn't play hoofball under BMcD. We played fluid, exciting attacking football. Spirit and flair. That's the Reading way. That's the BMcD way and that was the Leicester way last night.

130 posts