45%
Ian Royal
44%

Total votes: 73
bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: If RFC don't make the play-offs....

by bcubed » 15 Mar 2017 13:41

Why would be disappointed not to make the play offs?
Our record is hardly anything to get excited about!

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 15 Mar 2017 13:59

Top Flight
We didn't play hoofball under BMcD. We played fluid, exciting attacking football. Spirit and flair. That's the Reading way. That's the BMcD way and that was the Leicester way last night.

ha, not last year we didn't :)

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 15 Mar 2017 14:01

Hound
Top Flight
We didn't play hoofball under BMcD. We played fluid, exciting attacking football. Spirit and flair. That's the Reading way. That's the BMcD way and that was the Leicester way last night.

Which is why Steve Clarke has lost so much of his credibility as a football manager.

Last year was a mess remember before Brian came in. Poor recruitment by Clarke left us in a state.

MoorgateRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by MoorgateRoyal » 15 Mar 2017 14:28

If every single player is invested in the playing style, it will more often than not look good and be effective.

If you play the ball on the floor and build from the back and roll over a team 4-0, everyone thinks it looks great. The same if you win 4-0 playing kick and run, or a combination of both.

If you play any of these styles and lose 4-0, people will invariably think it's shit.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 15 Mar 2017 14:41

Top Flight
Hound
Top Flight

Which is why Steve Clarke has lost so much of his credibility as a football manager.

Last year was a mess remember before Brian came in. Poor recruitment by Clarke left us in a state.

He didnt have much of a squad to work with thanks to the 2 previous managers work in the transfer department.

He inherited a squad where our ST options were Pog, Blackman and and Cox, Akpan and Guthrie were CMs, had no LB and only 1 GK.. He tried god love him!

bracksroyal10

by bracksroyal10 » 15 Mar 2017 15:11

Top Flight
bracksroyal10
The Informant
Please god no

Why not? Granted we still need to work on a plan B but look where it has got us in a season

Very short sighted IMO .. prefer it when we played BMD hoofball?

I disagree with your comment on the second spell under BMcD, the back end of last season all I can really recall is pumping the ball up to Kermorgant from offsides/goal kicks and hoping to play off anything he won in the air half the time we may as well have just kicked the ball back to the opposition keeper! We even did this with Simon Cox in the games that he played. It made absolutely no sense to sell Orlando Sa at the time given that he was in the mould of what we needed as a lone striker.

Spirited yes full of determination yes but at times we were doing things that made no sense at all e.g aiming for Simon Cox at goal kicks and hoping for him to win the ball against x2 6ft + defenders. Norwood looking for the hollywood Beckham pass and kicking it out of play when all it required was a little 10 yard pass to keep the momentum going and the opposition working off the ball.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 15 Mar 2017 15:24

yeah, but Orlando Sa and his missus wanted to get the fuck out of Reading.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 15 Mar 2017 15:29

Top Flight
bracksroyal10
The Informant
Please god no

Why not? Granted we still need to work on a plan B but look where it has got us in a season

Very short sighted IMO .. prefer it when we played BMD hoofball?

F*ck me! Was I turning up at the wrong stadium last season?1 :shock:

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 15 Mar 2017 16:45

You must have been watching Swindon Royal Blue. We've always been brilliant under McD

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 15 Mar 2017 16:46

Top Flight
Hound
Top Flight

You mean Clarke who had a better PPG record than McDermott?

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 15 Mar 2017 16:50

Those ppg stats are as meaningless as our possession stats this year under Stam.

McDermott won the title Clarke won Nothing.

bracksroyal10

by bracksroyal10 » 15 Mar 2017 17:05

Top Flight
Hound
Top Flight

Did it? Or did Clarke's decision to speak to Fulham leave us in a state?

Up until QPR last year, we were playing some great football players were buying into his methods and it was shaping up to be a great season for us.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 15 Mar 2017 17:18

bracksroyal10
Top Flight
Hound

Did it? Or did Clarke's decision to speak to Fulham leave us in a state?

Up until QPR last year, we were playing some great football players were buying into his methods and it was shaping up to be a great season for us.

Imo the first poor performance and then subsequent slide in form was the home win against Charlton, despite winning we didn't look convincing.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 15 Mar 2017 18:30

Last season was a weird one. I wonder how different our situation would be now had we held onto that 2-0 lead at Fulham.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 15 Mar 2017 20:51

No Fixed Abode
The Informant
No Fixed Abode
I don't think this is really the case is it Ian?

Expectations wouldn't have been high at the start of the season but seeing as Reading have been in the top 6 for the majority - surely fans would be a little bothered if Reading missed out now.

He's so not bothered that he feels the need to comment on every BFTG and pre game thread all season, over analysing absolutely everything.

Quite. He's one of those football fans who tries to convince himself he's not bothered.

I'm exceptionally bothered about Reading FC, just not about finishing the play offs this season. It's not like I only just started saying it.

I hope you both enjoy your little orgasm at my reply though. Happy to bring some joy into your desperate existance. :)

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 15 Mar 2017 22:25

Ian Royal
No Fixed Abode
The Informant
He's so not bothered that he feels the need to comment on every BFTG and pre game thread all season, over analysing absolutely everything.

Quite. He's one of those football fans who tries to convince himself he's not bothered.

I'm exceptionally bothered about Reading FC, just not about finishing the play offs this season. It's not like I only just started saying it.

I hope you both enjoy your little orgasm at my reply though. Happy to bring some joy into your desperate existance. :)

Ian Royal do you ever choose the 'Ian Royal' selection...

In your shoes, I most definitely wood!

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 16 Mar 2017 10:16

Top Flight Those ppg stats are as meaningless as our possession stats this year under Stam.

Clarke would have got Reading to an FA Cup Final if it wasn't for Adam Flapperici.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 16 Mar 2017 10:17

Ian Royal
No Fixed Abode
The Informant

People who say others have a desper8 existence usually have a desper8 existence.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 16 Mar 2017 10:25

Fcuks sake Ian, I'm going to break my "don't engage with Kes on the Team board" rule if you keep biting

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 16 Mar 2017 10:26

No Fixed Abode
Top Flight Those ppg stats are as meaningless as our possession stats this year under Stam.

Clarke would have got Reading to an FA Cup Final if it wasn't for Adam Flapperici.

We would have still had to go on and beat Arsenal for that to happen either on penalties or in the remainder of extra time.

At the end of the day, McDermott has achieved considerably more than Clarke in football management. 3 FA Cup quarter finals, 1 play off final and one league title. Clarke just has a semi-final to his name and lots of sackings for poor performance.

You can argue all you like about what you think might have happened with Clarke or McDermott. But in terms of real substance and track record, McDermott has proven himself to be an outstanding manager always achieving great outcomes for his football club even despite having crazy owners constantly selling his star players every transfer window. Clarke has always been backed and achieved nothing. He was backed at WBA. He was backed at Reading and he was backed at Villa. McDermott has always had owners that didn't back him and kept pulling the rug out from under his feet. He still achieved despite all of that.

McDermott was a perfect fit for RFC. He wouldn't walk away in times of trouble or turmoil. He would have just signed another Shane Long from Cork City and propelled us to the top end of the table.

130 posts