Thank You Stam

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Thank You Stam

by NewCorkSeth » 07 May 2017 19:27

Now that the regular season is over I want to thank Jaap Stam for the amazing season he has given us. A 56% win ration from his first 50 games is incredible. His first full season in first team management and he guides a team that needed almost complete upheaval to a 3rd place finish. He seems to have added intelligent and dedicated coaching staff and has, judging by team interviews, instilled an incredibly professional attitude.

This season has been a pleasure and a surprise. IMO he has been manager of the year. Obviously I'm biased but this accomplishment has been phenomenal.

download

by download » 07 May 2017 19:37

I was very disappointed when Brian left. I thought the club had made a terrible mistake. I wasn't convinced about Staam. However he has far exceeded my expectations. Regardless of what happens in the Play Offs this has been a successful season. Even if we don't proceed this should be a good platform to ensure our best players to stay with the club and to encourage others to join.

Hopefully Staam won't be lured elsewhere but we will do well to keep him based on what he has already achieved so far.

The Informant

by The Informant » 07 May 2017 19:42

download I was very disappointed when Brian left. I thought the club had made a terrible mistake. I wasn't convinced about Staam. However he has far exceeded my expectations. Regardless of what happens in the Play Offs this has been a successful season. Even if we don't proceed this should be a good platform to ensure our best players to stay with the club and to encourage others to join.

Hopefully Staam won't be lured elsewhere but we will do well to keep him based on what he has already achieved so far.

Yet you don't know how to spell his name.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 07 May 2017 19:51

Wasnt there a talk sport presenter who said Norwich should wait till the end of season and look at our ownership situation and make a move for Stam?
Well seeing they still havent appointed a new manager yet maybe they are taking his advise.

Half Biscuit

by Half Biscuit » 07 May 2017 22:14

In 15 seasons since Jamie Cureton scored that equalizer at Brentford, we have been...

...In the top flight three seasons
...Second tier champions twice
...In the playoffs four times
...Just outside the playoffs three times

And this year we've reached our 3rd highest points total in this division, only 4 behind the title win in 2012 and 5 more than in 1994-95.

Even 11 years after the 106 fairytale, it's still a good time to be a Reading supporter. Thanks for keeping the dream alive.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 07 May 2017 22:38

Season isn't over yet. Stay focused. No 13 still has it's part to play.

Half Biscuit

by Half Biscuit » 07 May 2017 23:10

Exactly... It could actually get better. Enjoy the ride.

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 09 May 2017 11:18

windermereROYAL Wasnt there a talk sport presenter who said Norwich should wait till the end of season and look at our ownership situation and make a move for Stam?
Well seeing they still havent appointed a new manager yet maybe they are taking his advise.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39855621

Norwich City's next head coach will come from a shortlist of managers currently in jobs, sporting director Stuart Webber has said.

Webber, who arrived from Huddersfield in April, is heading up the search for a permanent replacement for Alex Neil.

"We have a list of candidates, and once their seasons are finished, we can start to accelerate that process," Webber told BBC Radio Norfolk.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 09 May 2017 11:26

TFF
windermereROYAL Wasnt there a talk sport presenter who said Norwich should wait till the end of season and look at our ownership situation and make a move for Stam?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39855621

Norwich City's next head coach will come from a shortlist of managers currently in jobs, sporting director Stuart Webber has said.

Webber, who arrived from Huddersfield in April, is heading up the search for a permanent replacement for Alex Neil.

"We have a list of candidates, and once their seasons are finished, we can start to accelerate that process," Webber told BBC Radio Norfolk.

It would be a blow to lose Stam to someone like Norwich. I hope he wouldn't make that move.

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 09 May 2017 11:44

Sorry, I should've been clearer in my post

I don't think it's Stam they're stalking

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 09 May 2017 11:53

TFF Sorry, I should've been clearer in my post

I don't think it's Stam they're stalking

I would be astounded if he wasn`t on the shortlist. but you would have thought Wagner would be on top.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 09 May 2017 11:55

I'm not sure either Wagner or Stam would go to Norwich. They both know start next season well and a Prem club will come calling

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 09 May 2017 19:43

They've been linked to Uwe Rosler at Fleetwood, can see him moving to a Championship club. Also, their season has now finished...

The Informant

by The Informant » 10 May 2017 14:15

Stam earlier today

On his future

I don’t know if I’ll be here next season.
If a PL club comes calling we’ll have to cross that bridge when we come to it. I’m not thinking about that though.

Is this the right thing to be saying before our biggest week in years or more mind games with the board etc?

Hampshire Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Hampshire Royal » 10 May 2017 15:41

Show the source, you ITK giant!!

The Informant

by The Informant » 10 May 2017 15:50

Hampshire Royal Show the source, you ITK giant!!

Press conference notes on Get Reading

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 10 May 2017 16:03

It doesn't make great reading but its pretty much consistent with what he has said throughout his time here. At least he isn't lying

Hampshire Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Hampshire Royal » 10 May 2017 16:32

What Stam actually said (paraphrased):

Still got a year left on his contract.
Leaving not up to him.
Enjoying his time here.
If we don't go up this year, there's always next year.
Don't want to think about moving on to a PL club, because it'snot really happening. (That's when he said 'Cross that bridge when we get to it).

The report of the Press Conference was a very bad report!! It looks very much like Low decided what he was going to write before he actually listened to the PC.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 10 May 2017 16:41

Hampshire Royal What Stam actually said (paraphrased):

Still got a year left on his contract.
Leaving not up to him.
Enjoying his time here.
If we don't go up this year, there's always next year.
Don't want to think about moving on to a PL club, because it'snot really happening. (That's when he said 'Cross that bridge when we get to it).

The report of the Press Conference was a very bad report!! It looks very much like Low decided what he was going to write before he actually listened to the PC.

See I'd forgive Low not knowing much about football because this role was clearly landed on him as opposed to him seeking it. Presumably in addition to whatever he was doing before.

Being a bad journalist, though, i.e., misreporting what was actually said, is a whole other ball game.

Seem to remember a player (Chris Gunter?) objecting to Low's "interpretation" of what he'd said in some interview earlier in the season also. This isn't a one-off.

Edit: Below Tweet is the Wokingham paper's journo tweet quoting Stam. Much more representative of the same conversation
Stam: If it was up to me, I would be here next season. But you don't know what can happen.

https://twitter.com/TomJCrocker/status/ ... 7154832385

willrfc

by willrfc » 10 May 2017 17:20

Always thought Stam will just be using us as a stepping stone to bigger and better things. He is clearly an excellent manager who plays football the right way, given the opportunity to do this at a bigger club with better players who possess passing ability a lot better than ours, I'm sure he'll take that straight away. With regards to his comments in the press conference, I'm sure in the back of his mind he knows that if we don't go up this year he will have 'bigger club' offers in abundance, and he will take them.