Thank You Stam

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

Thank You Stam

by Top Flight » 31 Mar 2017 20:22

Thank you Jaap Stam for giving us an exciting end to this season.

I'm just watching Derby V QPR right now and it is reminding me of the end of our season last year when there was nothing to play for. The season is over for both Derby and QPR and it shows.

So thank you Jaap Stam! Whatever happens now this has been a great season. Here's to a very exciting finish with lots of drama, passion, excitement, spilled blood and If we're lucky promotion back to where we belong. The top flight.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Thank You Stam

by AthleticoSpizz » 31 Mar 2017 20:34

aawwwee that's nice

Great first-time appointment for both Jaap and the club..

P1ssed off with the treatment of Brian....but Jaap is exactly what the inconsistent players from last season needed....him biting their arses

percy_freeman

by percy_freeman » 31 Mar 2017 23:14

Totally agree with the bit about watching that dross tonight. Two teams that aren't going anywhere. Loving how well we are doing this year and although not a fan of the Stam style we're up there. Not quite sure we're good enough to go further but when you hear players like Gunter saying he is learning so much, we must have something special. The players this year seem to want to do it, the fans, well so far we haven't really rocked it, but tomorrow is massive. 4th v 5th, sell out crowd with the very vocal, one song Leeds fans so we all need to be on our top game. Let's get behind the lads and make the difference. Urzzz

finchroyal

by finchroyal » 31 Mar 2017 23:26

percy_freeman Totally agree with the bit about watching that dross tonight. Two teams that aren't going anywhere. Loving how well we are doing this year and although not a fan of the Stam style we're up there. Not quite sure we're good enough to go further but when you hear players like Gunter saying he is learning so much, we must have something special. The players this year seem to want to do it, the fans, well so far we haven't really rocked it, but tomorrow is massive. 4th v 5th, sell out crowd with the very vocal, one song Leeds fans so we all need to be on our top game. Let's get behind the lads and make the difference. Urzzz

One song Leeds fans you sure

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 01 Apr 2017 10:32

finchroyal
percy_freeman Totally agree with the bit about watching that dross tonight. Two teams that aren't going anywhere. Loving how well we are doing this year and although not a fan of the Stam style we're up there. Not quite sure we're good enough to go further but when you hear players like Gunter saying he is learning so much, we must have something special. The players this year seem to want to do it, the fans, well so far we haven't really rocked it, but tomorrow is massive. 4th v 5th, sell out crowd with the very vocal, one song Leeds fans so we all need to be on our top game. Let's get behind the lads and make the difference. Urzzz

How many seconds before the "boring, boring Reading chants start?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 01 Apr 2017 13:16

Top Flight Thank you Jaap Stam for giving us an exciting end to this season.

I'm just watching Derby V QPR right now and it is reminding me of the end of our season last year when there was nothing to play for. The season is over for both Derby and QPR and it shows.

So thank you Jaap Stam! Whatever happens now this has been a great season. Here's to a very exciting finish with lots of drama, passion, excitement, spilled blood and If we're lucky promotion back to where we belong. The top flight.

:lol: :lol:

:roll:

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 01 Apr 2017 13:17

Sutekh
finchroyal

How many seconds before the "boring, boring Reading chants start?

I'm sure it won't be long before we can retort with our own favourites: 'You dirty Northern b*stards' and 'Same old Leeds, always cheating'!

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 05 Apr 2017 14:28

Top Flight top flight
:?

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 05 Apr 2017 14:55

Forbury Lion
Top Flight top flight
:?

Inception type shit.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 05 Apr 2017 16:02

I did dig up the topic where Top Flight was regularly predicting us for the drop, as it turns out the whole topic was full of pessimism.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=133110

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 05 Apr 2017 16:24

tidus_mi2 I did dig up the topic where Top Flight was regularly predicting us for the drop, as it turns out the whole topic was full of pessimism.

None of that pessimism was unjustified though as there was little to suggest a huge improvement was on the cards pre-season. Indeed after our transfer business and the first couple of games there was increased optimism but still only amounting to a midtable finish.

No one could have foreseen us doing this well this season.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 05 Apr 2017 16:28

CountryRoyal
tidus_mi2 I did dig up the topic where Top Flight was regularly predicting us for the drop, as it turns out the whole topic was full of pessimism.

None of that pessimism was unjustified though as there was little to suggest a huge improvement was on the cards pre-season. Indeed after our transfer business and the first couple of games there was increased optimism but still only amounting to a midtable finish.

No one could have foreseen us doing this well this season.

No, you're right, I certainly only saw us finishing mid-table as that topic shows.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 05 Apr 2017 20:00

Even Stam said we'd be hard pressed to finish 10th.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 10 Apr 2017 19:59

It's testament to what Stam has achieved with this squad that I'm not even the slightest bit disheartened about Saturday anymore, and in fact by the time I got home I was over it.

You just don't get the feeling that we're going to crumble and fall away, yes we have some absolute shockers but we bounce back with some good results. I'm already looking forward to the Villa game.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 11 Apr 2017 07:05

I'm absolutely delighted that I was wrong. I was so far wide of the mark.

If this season ends with a trip to Wembley then wow! What a turnaround. All I can say is Thank You Stam! You have done a tremendous job.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 11 Apr 2017 07:25

Credit also due to the owners. The appointment of Stam was a master stroke and just the tonic the club needed.

With so many players demotivated and seemingly unhappy with life and the direction their careers were going Stam was a real breath of fresh air. His footballing ideas and winning mentality gave the squad a new lease of life and renewed focus.

Well done the Thai owners. You learned fast. Sad to see you go now.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 11 Apr 2017 16:45

CountryRoyal It's testament to what Stam has achieved with this squad that I'm not even the slightest bit disheartened about Saturday anymore, and in fact by the time I got home I was over it.

You just don't get the feeling that we're going to crumble and fall away, yes we have some absolute shockers but we bounce back with some good results. I'm already looking forward to the Villa game.

Agree...it didn't bother me either....we are still in a great position for the playoff lottery and the result was highlighted so much everywhere I wondered if maybe his stock might have fallen slightly....could well be here next season. Fingers crossed.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 11 Apr 2017 22:46

Ascotexgunner
CountryRoyal It's testament to what Stam has achieved with this squad that I'm not even the slightest bit disheartened about Saturday anymore, and in fact by the time I got home I was over it.

Agree...it didn't bother me either....we are still in a great position for the playoff lottery and the result was highlighted so much everywhere I wondered if maybe his stock might have fallen slightly....could well be here next season. Fingers crossed.

Agreed, particularly as West Ham turn their attentions to the Fulham manager.

WAZZOCK

by WAZZOCK » 12 Apr 2017 07:31

I wonder how other teams may perceive that result from the weekend? Despite winning 3 on the bounce prior to Saturday, including two against playoff rivals, we have seemingly been written off by pundits and fans alike.

They have a point to be fair as from the outside looking in we looking like a limited team who are probably low on confidence, we know a bit more than that though don't we?! :wink:

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 12 Apr 2017 11:06

Steve McLaren made a good point that if teams are brave against us they can cause us problems.

That has been proven by Brentford, Fulham, Newcastle, Norwich even Derby...

I thought against Leeds we showed a good intensity and high level of concentration that made it look like we outclassed Leeds.

It might be good for us if teams get arrogant and cocky and over confident against us. Hopefully Stam will make sure it plays into our hands. The exciting thing is the uncertainty. I have no clue whether we can win the play offs or not. Those big crunch play off encounters will be very interesting indeed. I can't wait for it to happen to be honest. It is going to be so intriguing.