Back from the game - Leeds (H)

133 posts
NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Back from the game - Leeds (H)

by NewCorkSeth » 02 Apr 2017 20:06

Theres a lot to be said about the match but one thing i wanted to highlight was Danny Williams. I liked him as a player a lot more before Stams revolution. He has a fantastic work rate and made one very beautiful slide tackle in the box but his passing was pretty poor (i think only Blackett, who on my count gave away 3 interceptions with attempted throughballs, was less effective than him)

As a passing team I was a bit concerned watching his often odd positional instinct when we were in attack. He spent a lot of time waving his arms saying he was open when he was the poorest option for the pass. Anyone else notice this?

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 02 Apr 2017 20:59

Is Evans injured? I'd rather see him come on than Mutch.

Its amazing how quickly a bit of sun can improve the pitch.

Whilst the club can claim it was a sell out, the narrow section immediately next to the away fans in Y26 below the screen wasn't attempted to be sold, nor the first 3-4 rows of away fans.

I understand closing those probably keeps the security costs down, but i hope it doesn't mean the club has permanently abandoned those seats.

For a team that spends so much time passing amongst the back four, we are actually very incisive when we do break through the first line of the opposition and the ball moves from the back four to the middle four.

I was very very encouraged by the performance.

Emeraldroyal

by Emeraldroyal » 02 Apr 2017 21:12

bobby1413 Also who's that hot blonde steward in Y26? Always stands at the Concorse entrance.

If my GF hadn't have been with me yesterday I'd have been in there like a rat up a drain pipe

That's my mate 'big dave'
I'll introduce you next time :wink:

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 02 Apr 2017 22:55

RoyalBlue
Jack Celliers That was fantastic. No footy for three weeks and some shit days at work meant I was really looking forward to it and had that swelling feeling of anxiety all day long. We were brilliant first half. Kelly is a gem. Williams and Swift were just too good for them and at least Yanm took one of the chances. Second half we were also brilliant with backs to the wall defending.

The crowd noise was great and it felt like the last promotion year at times.

I saw the stamp in the hotel afterwards on a big screen. There was a collective gulp of astonishment. Five matches for the the Leeds thug; Blackett could get a three match ban.

Sky's commentary team reviewed it at the time and reckoned it was clumsy rather than intentional, said hand was open and would have been clenched had he meant it - and that from an ex pro who knew how to physically intimidate opponents and dish it out. It was only Leeds fan Danny Mills who tried to use it after the game to balance out Cooper's GBH. However, I suspect the FA will side with the big club and punish Blackett equally. Wouldn't even put it past them to exonerate Cooper and hammer Blackett!

This won't surprise me either. If it does happen I will hold Mills to blame.
What a oxf*rd! Not a good word to say about Reading throughout

JimmytheJim

by JimmytheJim » 02 Apr 2017 23:53

bcubed
This won't surprise me either. If it does happen I will hold Mills to blame.
What a oxf*rd! Not a good word to say about Reading throughout

In his defence, he's a oxf*rd idiot.

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 03 Apr 2017 05:45

One of plenty of the next generation of "experts" on these programmes and radio commentaries, that patronisingly implore us to "look" or "listen" as they start to impart their words of wisdom and insight, that we are duty bound to accept as they "have played the game".

Jermain Genius should wear the Captain Obvious outfit when he appears on tv. Gary Fly-Catcher Neville has a face you would never tire of punching.

WAZZOCK

by WAZZOCK » 03 Apr 2017 07:17

I haven't seen the Blackett incident anywhere, is there a clip floating about?

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 03 Apr 2017 07:31

Greatwesternline Is Evans injured? I'd rather see him come on than Mutch.

Whilst the club can claim it was a sell out, the narrow section immediately next to the away fans in Y26 below the screen wasn't attempted to be sold, nor the first 3-4 rows of away fans.

I understand closing those probably keeps the security costs down, but i hope it doesn't mean the club has permanently abandoned those seats.

For a team that spends so much time passing amongst the back four, we are actually very incisive when we do break through the first line of the opposition and the ball moves from the back four to the middle four.

The narrow section that you refer to was netted off to allow the tv camera crew to sit there making seats behind restricted. No idea why there is this trend now to net off front rows of stadiums. Must cut off about 600 seats.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 03 Apr 2017 08:17

paultheroyal

The narrow section that you refer to was netted off to allow the tv camera crew to sit there making seats behind restricted. No idea why there is this trend now to net off front rows of stadiums. Must cut off about 600 seats.

I assumed it was to stop a pitch invasion or surging forward through hoardings

But I agree it seems a bit moronic to cut off all those seats.

Clubs like Southampton don't do it, Leicester, Chelsea and many others. we basically have voluntarily (I assume) lost out on 600 tickets being sold

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 03 Apr 2017 08:57

Westwood52 Great entertainment, and the fans got right behind the team, esp East Stand.
Two more wins and that should do it-for twenty or so minutes in the 1st half, Leeds were chasing shadows and looked very, very average. Last twenty minutes, without Kelly, we just didn't play any football & could have cocked it up.

Strangely a few players were poor & given the result against the team above us, I didn't quite know how to rate some of those; but IMO here we go:

Al 6: Apart from taking a few crosses, really didn't have much to do-one howler as usual.

Gunts 6: The poor side of the usual Gunts performance-but he did get more forward than he has recently.
Obita 6: Flapped a bit at times-was he ever really a winger ? Better in a five-although we were close to playing that system today.
Moore 9: Made Woods look very average-didn't put a foot wrong , all game.
Tyler 5: I might be a bit harsh-but he made a series of mistakes in the opening ten minutes-got better, once Leeds tried to batter us.
Kelly: Oh go on I will give him a 10-he was immense- and I thought his season was over after Newcastle-when he was so poor-once he came off we lost our shape.
Swift 6: Once again stings like a butterfly and floated like a bee-kept on losing the ball.
Williams 6: You just can't fault him for effort.
Beerens 4: Missed two reasonable chances and rarely contributes.
Kermit 8: Great goal & the heart of a lion.
Macca: Oh dear-when he's not interested, it really shows, and this was one of those days-barely worth a 2.

Much & Grabs-really are a couple of big time charlies-playing for the next contract.
Oxford-Looked a bit raw-I am told it was a bad stamp on his head , by the Leeds no 6-a Tyrone Mings moment. Stupid bugger, that's a 5 match ban you jerk. Credit to Oxford to carry on battling away and staying on.

Ref: Oh dear, how can we have picked up all those bookings and Leeds got none, for all their indiscretions-I cant blame him if he missed the stamp-but it wasn't a good day for him.

Leeds-absolutely shocked how poor they were, given the Managers reputation-they played precious little football & all they contributed was a battling spirit-but zero quality.

Thought some of your scores were harsh

Habsi - apart from one error thought he commanded his box much better together with his his improved distribution - 7
Gunter - best game for a long time - got forward well - 7
Obita as above - 7
Blackett - solid 7
Swift back to his best -8
Williams - amazing tackle at the end -7
McCleary - Leeds marked him out of game which left more space for Kermo and Berens - 6

Hope Cooper gets a 5 match ban - how anyone can say that was accidental. Thought Leeds were only average as we played so well. Best performance of the season for me. Biggest laugh was Monk saying they deserved a draw! We should have been 3 0r 4 up by half time with another from Berrens in second half!

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 03 Apr 2017 08:58

Hope Cooper gets a 5 match ban - how anyone can say that was accidental. Thought Leeds were only average as we played so well. Best performance of the season for me. Biggest laugh was Monk saying they deserved a draw! We should have been 3 0r 4 up by half time with another from Berrens in second half!

bracksroyal10

by bracksroyal10 » 03 Apr 2017 09:25

I thought it was the best we have passed the ball in midfield this season despite the close 1-0 scoreline. Kelly pinging balls like Beckham dictating the tempo and Swift linking up with Beerens very nicely.

Special mention to Gunter - I am one who is not is his biggest fan and I don't think he suits our style of play if we are looking long term. But off the ball and on it he was brilliant it was good to see him full of confidence the best game he has had this season by a long stretch.

Still failing to understand why we are putting Grabban on the wing instead of Meite/Popa. Failing to see what he offers us other than having 3 touches too many in his own half and providing the fans with nervous moments. For me unless there is a major upturn in form after his first goal, I wouldn't want him here permanently next year.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 03 Apr 2017 09:29

WAZZOCK I haven't seen the Blackett incident anywhere, is there a clip floating about?

This, if it was such a heinous assault you'd imagine 5 would have included it in their highlights package

MoorgateRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by MoorgateRoyal » 03 Apr 2017 09:37

I really hate Leeds, I'm so glad we beat them.

Can't be arsed with the player ratings as they've all been done, but if we can combine that offensive menace and defensive composure, along with the desire to win shown throughout and at the end, we'll be in a decent position come the end of the season.

There was added personal meaning for my family and me, as my grandfather who had a season ticket since 1966 passed away recently. We had his funeral on Friday and the win was the perfect send off from the club. If anyone noticed What a Wonderful World by Louis Armstrong being played at half-time, despite the tit with the mic talking over it, that was a special favour in his memory from a good friend at the club. It used to be played when the teams ran out at Elm Park and we played it on Friday as well, and that was a nice touch from a great club.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 03 Apr 2017 09:44

My condolences Moorg8

MoorgateRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by MoorgateRoyal » 03 Apr 2017 09:46

genome My condolences Moorg8

You're very kind, thank you.

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 03 Apr 2017 10:46

paultheroyal

I'm not convinced about that. My season ticket in 2012-13 was in that bit and when we were on TV they obviously managed and just put a scaffold above the tunnel in that corner. Even when they put a tv box in the corner for FA Cup matches where the BBC sat in the box they still did so with minimum seat closure.

I just think they can't be bothered with the hassle of having to steward the narrow gap.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 03 Apr 2017 12:00

To my shame my first home game of the season and only my second overall, having travelled to Fulham for our annual thrashing.

For a change I sat in the North Stand, left of the goal.
I might be accused of hyperbole, but that first half was pretty much as good, in pure footballing terms, as a performance I have ever seen from a Reading side. Blackett and Moore composed on the ball at the back, even when we were playing it around deep in our half. Liam Kelly running the game like Xavi. Pace and incisive passing between the lines. Kermorgant winning everything that came his way (have we had a better flickon-erer since Forster?)

Don't know what the possession stats were but it can't have been less than 80/20 in our favour after the first quarter of the game. And we created a few chances too, as well as the goal. Was a joy to watch.

Leeds caused us a few more problems in the second half - and they might have had they started with Doukara and two up front. But left the game very satisfied with a mature and strong performance against one of the better sides in the division.

On the 'stamp', I've watched it a few times and try as I might I just can't work out how Cooper's movement is a natural one.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 03 Apr 2017 12:06

Greatwesternline
paultheroyal

I'm not convinced about that. My season ticket in 2012-13 was in that bit and when we were on TV they obviously managed and just put a scaffold above the tunnel in that corner. Even when they put a tv box in the corner for FA Cup matches where the BBC sat in the box they still did so with minimum seat closure.

I just think they can't be bothered with the hassle of having to steward the narrow gap.

I rem Chelsea netting off the front row seats as they had
to put in larger advertising displays for televised games
(i may totally be imagining this )

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 03 Apr 2017 12:08

BR0B0T I rem Chelsea netting off the front row seats as they had
to put in larger advertising displays for televised games
(i may totally be imagining this )

That was a Champions League thing wasn't it?

133 posts