What do we need when we're in the prem?

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: What do we need when we're in the prem?

by Forbury Lion » 07 Apr 2017 13:15

BR0B0T Which players will cut it and who needs to be shown the door?
It's difficult to predict. At the end of the 106 season nobody would have predicted Bobby Convey's spot being taken by Stephen Hunt.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 07 Apr 2017 13:16

Forbury Lion
It's difficult to predict. At the end of the 106 season nobody would have predicted Bobby Convey's spot being taken by Stephen Hunt.

I did 8)

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 07 Apr 2017 13:21

BR0B0T
Forbury Lion

I did 8)
You are Stephen Hunt and I claim my ten pounds.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 07 Apr 2017 14:14

Forbury Lion

Only because Convey spent a year out injured...

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 10 Apr 2017 14:58

Love these pointless threads :lol:

We are a 4-3-3 team, but I think we have the potential to use the Chelsea 3-4-2-1 way too. Either way, we are in need of three positions I think, four if we go up.

Whatever happens, we need another left back to compete with Obita. Blackett can do it, but if we need to attack and Obita is out, we have no real alternative.

Pistol Recommends: Charlie Taylor from Leeds (free?!) or, if Hull go down, Robertson, Pape Soure

In the premier league we would also be light at right back, but if we stay down, Gunter and Watson are fine.

Pistol Recommends: Ryan Fredericks

We need a ball wining midfielder in the mould of Kante, Wanyama, Busquets, Nainggolan. Evans can kind of do it, Joey is fine but would not cut in the prem and is a bit hit and miss in the championship.

Pistol Recommends: Didier Ngong

Finally, whether we go up or stay where we are, we need a complete striker; we're heavily reliant on Kermogant. Eddie Howe is a great judge of a player and thinks he's not up to the premier league. Either way, unless Samuel finishes the season well at Ipswich, it would be a stretch to think he could lead the line in the championship let alone the Premier League.

Pistol Recommends: Vincent Jansen (prem) Cyle Larin (Champ) (Only because someone on here told guys about him a year ago and he seemed pretty good! Also, Tammy Abraham

Other than that, I'd quite like to see Ronaldo Vieira here too :D
Last edited by PistolPete on 13 Apr 2017 08:19, edited 1 time in total.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 12 Apr 2017 16:18

I hope people realize that the current RFC team is a long way from being one that could stay in the Premier League. Middlesbrough are close to being dumped out of the league and they have Negredo and Patrick Bamford sitting on their bench - we have Joseph Mendes . . ..

Pretty much every club fan has a blindness to their own players - they see them week in week out and think "actually he's ok, he can do a job". But they never compare them to the players at other clubs operating at a much higher level. It wasn't a blip that we got beat 7-1 on Saturday - we have a defense that is liable to collapse when too much pressure is put on it. Stam has set us up in a clever way to limit that pressure but as soon as we get into the PL its' going to be a different matter - think of the United cup game but every Saturday 3pm.

If you're being brutally honest then really only the below players should be at club that wants to stay in the PL:

Definitely

Moore
McCleary
Williams

Probably

Ilori
Meite
Oxford

Take a chance

Gravenberch
Kelly

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 12 Apr 2017 16:31

Al Habsi? I hear he's been pretty much your best player the last two seasons.

seahawk10
Hob Nob Regular
Location: One kick. A royal kick! There's more in Reading yet!

by seahawk10 » 12 Apr 2017 17:18

Silver Fox Jaap Stam

Jaap's scowl should be enough to keep us up. (Oh. and his football acumen...)

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 12 Apr 2017 17:26

Elm Park Kid I hope people realize that the current RFC team is a long way from being one that could stay in the Premier League. Middlesbrough are close to being dumped out of the league and they have Negredo and Patrick Bamford sitting on their bench - we have Joseph Mendes . . ..

If you're being brutally honest then really only the below players should be at club that wants to stay in the PL:

Definitely

Moore
McCleary
Williams

Probably

Ilori
Meite
Oxford

Take a chance

Gravenberch
Kelly

You don't want to take a chance on Swift, but you're going to take a chance on Gravenberch??? okayyyy
Being brutally honest, you're taking the piss here!

Pretty much every club fan has a blindness to their own players - they see them week in week out and think "actually he's ok, he can do a job". But they never compare them to the players at other clubs operating at a much higher level. It wasn't a blip that we got beat 7-1 on Saturday - we have a defense that is liable to collapse when too much pressure is put on it. Stam has set us up in a clever way to limit that pressure but as soon as we get into the PL its' going to be a different matter - think of the United cup game but every Saturday 3pm.

for me, the blindspot often isn't assessing our own players, it's assessing other teams players. When an opposition player does something good, we think - oh he's good, let's have him. but when he allows one of our players space & time, etc, we don't notice that as a flaw in him unless it's absolutely utterly blatant. Was watching Champions League last night - some of the play was brilliant - but some of the crosses and passes wouldn't be out of place at the Mad Stad on a bad night.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 12 Apr 2017 18:07

I think the teams that generally stay up and do ok tend to keep the basis of their promotion team but then add to it with some very astute signings.

Teams like Leicester, Burnley, potentially Hull aren't massively different to the sides which they got promoted with but have been able to add the right players in the right positions.

There's obviously a fair few in our squad who we'd accept would never be able to make the step up, but I'd certainly like the spine of the team that has made us successful this season to be given a chance

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 14 Apr 2017 22:34

Hound There's obviously a fair few in our squad who we'd accept would never be able to make the step up, but I'd certainly like the spine of the team that has made us successful this season to be given a chance

Yann. Joey, McShane.

Sorry no way good enough.

That's next years challenge for Stam. Find their replacements.

Might be Meite, Evans, Moore one day, but not yet.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 14 Apr 2017 22:43

Yann, Joey, McShane more than good enough for where we will be next season

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 14 Apr 2017 23:31

How about we put this thread to bed?