MATCHWATCH : Aston Villa (a) sponsored by prayer mats everywhere

105 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Aston Villa (a) sponsored by prayer mats everywhere

by Sutekh » 13 Apr 2017 09:23

Well after the disaster at Norwich comes this one. And of all the games it was possible to get after that shambles, Villa away was quite probably bottom of the list.

Currently Aston Villa are in the midst of an excellent run of form having won 7 of their last 9 games with just 1 draw and 1 defeat in that run. Additionally they have conceded just 2 goals and both of those were on their travels. Add to that Reading’s utterly appalling record at last year’s relegated PL sides (Norwich 1-7, Newcastle 1-4) and it’s difficult to see anything other than a turkey shoot for the likes of Hogan, Kodija, Adomah et al

Due to Aston Villa being a jolly nice community club and agreeing to a local church’s request to not play games on Good Friday (due to previous problems the church has had with services being held at the same time a game is due to be played) the game was rescheduled for Saturday, a day later than all the other play off contenders (particularly Leeds visit to Newcastle), which may or may not add more pressure to Reading to get something out of the match.

Just to pep things up Aston Villa have a full strength squad to pick from (though Kodija was forced off in their last game with a thigh problem he is expected to be available) while Reading could still be without all their usual casualties. If any are to make it though, then most likely that will be Tiago Ilori and Joey van den Berg. Jaap will most likely want to change things if he can so having those two available will at least provide those options that he needs to put a spine back in. However it may work out that only Danny Williams is fit enough to return to a starting role. And whether Roy Beerens is available or another on the injured list is anyone’s guess.

Referee

Trying to keep tabs on the score will be Northumberland’s Scott Duncan

Previous

11 Mar 2017 > Preston North End 3-0 Reading
22 Oct 2016 > Rotherham United 0-1 Reading
12 Apr 2016 > Middlesbrough 2-1 Reading
04 Apr 2015 > Reading 1-1 Cardiff City

Historically

Villa Park has been a quite miserable place for Reading so far. Five previous league games played and five previous league games lost with 4 goals scored and 10 conceded (and after last week it possibly wouldn’t be a surprise to see that goal tally doubled). As I recall Reading's last visit there almost resulted in a point in a game devoid of any goalmouth action whatsoever as two utterly awful teams tried to slog out a 0-0 but failed miserably when Villa accidentally scored In the 2nd half.

In fact it’s safe to say the only thing Reading have ever got out of a game at Villa Park is 1971’s relegation to Division 4.

Still, hope springs eternal....

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : Aston Villa (a) sponsored by prayer mats everywhere

by Hound » 13 Apr 2017 10:13

nice. I suspect we'll set up more like we did at Huddersfield and be content to try to keep it 0-0 as long as possible

be very surprised if we do any better than a 2-0 defeat though. Hopefully just nothing happens that is going to stop us battering Rotherham in the game 2 days after

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 13 Apr 2017 10:37

So here's why the game is on Saturday and not Friday...

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/f ... n-12884773

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 13 Apr 2017 11:15

So there was the option to move the game back up to 2 days but it was kept on Saturday, poor decision. I appreciate Saturday kick offs but I think in this instance, with the Rotherham game on Monday, as well as Villa playing Fulham on that day, surely it would have been ideal to push back to Thursday if it were possible?

Realistically this only negatively impacts us, while we should beat Rotherham, a short turn over is very unhelpful and the same situation is likely to hamper Villa which could then benefit our play-off rivals Fulham.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 13 Apr 2017 11:42

Very disappointing decision which puts us at a big disadvantage. Surely Friday evening/night would have been fine otherwise.

As it is we get punished twice, as Villa likely to be knackered against Fulham.

I can see Stam resting a few to be honest. Rotherham is an absolute must win

Delboy

by Delboy » 13 Apr 2017 11:44

no team has beaten us twice this season, Villa only team that can !

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 13 Apr 2017 12:51

genome So here's why the game is on Saturday and not Friday...

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/f ... n-12884773

I hope the 25 or 30 church goers appreciate it!

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 13 Apr 2017 13:01

So why the f**ck didn`t we (and villa) ask for Mondays games to be moved to Tuesday?

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 13 Apr 2017 13:14

windermereROYAL So why the f**ck didn`t we (and villa) ask for Mondays games to be moved to Tuesday?

Apparently we did and it was refused. Look they're professional footballers so they should be capable of playing twice in 48 hours

Funny enough, I have a really good feeling about this game despite Villa being in excellent form. We bounce back well after losing heavily although it will be tough and definitely cant see us keeping a clean sheet. I will go for a shock 3-1 win

Readingfanman
Hob Nob Regular

by Readingfanman » 13 Apr 2017 13:20

Really not sure why they couldn't play on Friday evening at 5:30 or 7:45.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 13 Apr 2017 13:31

Royal_jimmy Apparently we did and it was refused. Look they're professional footballers so they should be capable of playing twice in 48 hours

Capable is a lot different to performing at their best though

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 13 Apr 2017 13:35

Hound Very disappointing decision which puts us at a big disadvantage.

You had a full 4 days to recover from the Blackburn home win to the Norwich away debacle.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 13 Apr 2017 15:12

On the one hand I think this is a good decision by Villa wrt their local community and in this day and age should be applauded
On the other hand, we could surely of then moved it to this evening or tomorrow evening
But then again, imagine the whingeing if we were playing tonight or tomorrow evening without being on telly
But on the last hand, why can't professional footballers manage to play twice in 3 days? What a bunch of lightweights

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 13 Apr 2017 15:17

of course they 'can' play twice in 3 days. They could probably play 7 days in a row if they had to.

However if you want to perform at optimum level, then you need sufficient time to recover from the previous game. The fact the opposition has had an extra day to recover is significant in allowing their muscles to fully recover from the exertion of the game before.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 13 Apr 2017 21:30

Bit baffled at why an event for a small number of people should take precedence over an event for a large number of people, when the impact seems so trivial. Or how fans going to a game would disrupt services that much. I mean, sure traffic might be a bitch, but plan ahead. If there are behavioral issues it should be policed. It all seems very small minded and 'have fun our way' from the Church to me. It's not like the ground's new... Villa have been there since pre-1900 I think.

But, if there was an option to push it back two days rather than one none of that matters... it's an even crazier decision to stick with Saturday when the problem is incredibly easily solved without any negative side affects for the teams.

The Cube

by The Cube » 13 Apr 2017 22:39

Don't forget that Reading have won at Villa Park before - it wasn't against Aston Villa, but a 2-1 victory over Manchester United in an FA Cup second replay (from the days when second replays existed, and were played at a neutral ground).

Reading also have a draw from an FA Cup tie against Aston Villa, before winning the replay. But that was a while back.

download

by download » 15 Apr 2017 10:01

I think I heard on Breakfast News that they are interviewing Jap Staam on Football Focus at lunchtime. I was only half listening so I think I heard that right.

The Reverend

by The Reverend » 15 Apr 2017 11:45

Free parking a mile and a half from the ground. And Nando's

http://m.starcitycentre.co.uk

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 15 Apr 2017 13:19

This is a real bogey ground and team. I've been there 4 times lost the lot unlucky on a couple of occasions. Not going today so hopefully that will be a good thing. The one thing I do remember is I've never seen a set of fans turn on there team so quickly when things aren't going well. So I hope and pray we don't start like last week. :(

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 15 Apr 2017 13:56

Reading XI : Habsi, Gunter, Moore, Blackett, Obita, Kelly, Williams, Swift, Popa, Mendes, Grabban

Subs : Jaakkola, Mutch, Meite, Evans, McCleary, Kermorgant, Ilori

:o

105 posts