BFTG - Rov'rum

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: BFTG - Rov'rum

by paultheroyal » 18 Apr 2017 10:20

Hampshire Royal Fair enough. It dinarf look like a head butt from where I was sitting!!

You still in your vehicle in the car park then? Headbutt lol.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 18 Apr 2017 10:23

Contrary to what some have said, I thought the ref had a very good game yesterday; which is a welcome change.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 18 Apr 2017 11:34

agree, thought the ref was good.

Would have been very interesting to see how many added time minutes he would have signalled had it been 1-1 though. There should def have been more than 4 - I reckon he docked some due to Rotherham's ridiculous time wasting (keeper going down with cramp on a cool day has to be one of the lamest bits of cheating I've seen for a while)

WestRoyal

by WestRoyal » 18 Apr 2017 11:45

marlowuk
marlowuk The second goal was also a great ball across the goal from Gunter and clinically finished by Swift.

I should have added that the pass from Williams that set up Gunter was a brilliant defence-splitting ball!!

Idential to the pass in the first half from mccleary to gunter who put a carbon copy ball across the box which didn't result in a goal.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 18 Apr 2017 12:22

Not been to a whole lot of games this season but I enjoyed yesterday. Very flat first half but much more dynamic after HT and deserved the win.

- Meite isn't very good
- I like Swift as a player but he had a shocker until he scored
- Kelly was excellent, very continental in the way he keeps the ball moving
- Williams a clear MOTM

The main negative though is that I genuinely don't think Reading fans really understand football.

This season has surpassed any credible expectation but all I heard was "why are you going backwards?" "get it forwards Reading" "booooo" and other idiotic proclamations. Do people's memories get wiped every time they leave the ground like Men In Black so no matter how many matches they attend they have to learn the game all over again?

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 18 Apr 2017 12:26

Maguire Not been to a whole lot of games this season but I enjoyed yesterday. Very flat first half but much more dynamic after HT and deserved the win.

- Meite isn't very good
- I like Swift as a player but he had a shocker until he scored
- Kelly was excellent, very continental in the way he keeps the ball moving
- Williams a clear MOTM

The main negative though is that I genuinely don't think Reading fans really understand football.

This season has surpassed any credible expectation but all I heard was "why are you going backwards?" "get it forwards Reading" "booooo" and other idiotic proclamations. Do people's memories get wiped every time they leave the ground like Men In Black so no matter how many matches they attend they have to learn the game all over again?

I knew it was going to be long arduous season when early on in the season I heard some bright spark abusing Stam with a "you can't win if you don't go forward". We were 2-0 up at the time.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 18 Apr 2017 12:53

One of the things I haven't missed is the endless hordes of negative moaners with no appreciation or understanding of football.

I genuinely think at least 2% of our crowd only goes to get angry and abuse someone.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 18 Apr 2017 13:05

Ian Royal One of the things I haven't missed is the endless hordes of negative moaners with no appreciation or understanding of football.

I genuinely think at least 2% of our crowd only goes to get angry and abuse someone.

At some clubs the percentage is far higher than that.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 18 Apr 2017 13:12

I think it also depends where you sit. In the ED, about half way up and you get a really good view as to what is going on, where the gaps are, who is making runs, etc etc. Sometimes, from up high, you can see a pass but the player on the pitch either cannot see it, or chooses a safer option (as is Stam's let's keep the ball style). That is when many people get frustrated with what's happening on the pitch. I've also watched games at pitch side in the East Stand on the half way line and it is much harder to game a big picture of the game

Agreed though - booing is pointless, but a bit of verbal encouragement helps :)

Beerens probably got the worst of the negativity yesterday, especially after his air shot in the second half.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 18 Apr 2017 13:15

When we played at Elm Park, probably 20% of the fans went there just to get angry and abuse someone. So we have definitely improved in that regard. RFC has gone through a process of gentrification. Soon a Costa coffee will open in the concourses and a Waitrose will spring up outside the East Stand selling prawn sandwiches to Ian Royal and the like.
Last edited by Top Flight on 18 Apr 2017 13:21, edited 1 time in total.

The Informant

by The Informant » 18 Apr 2017 13:20

Top Flight When we played at Elm Park, probably 20% of the fans went there just to get angry and abuse someone. So we have definitely improved in that regard. RFC has gone through a process of gentrification. Soon a Costa coffee will open in the councourses and a Waitrose will spring up outside the East Stand selling prawn sandwiches to Ian Royal and the like.

:lol:

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 18 Apr 2017 13:33

Hampshire Royal Fair enough. It dinarf look like a head butt from where I was sitting!!

Very much agree with you HR and Williams does have history.
The daft thing was that the kick( for which their player was booked) rather than giving Danny a broken leg ,which he would have us believe, actually served to spur him on to be our most effective player.

IMHO Beerens is comfortable (not his best game yesterday) on either the right or left whereas McCleary, one of our most important players, is uncomfortable on the left and is only half the player that he is when out on the right as shown in the second half.

BTW regarding time-wasting, the ref could have added on time in the first half with all of our time-wasting (Moore-Blackett, Blackett-Moore etc.) :wink:

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 18 Apr 2017 13:35

BR2

Very much agree with you HR and Williams does have history.
The daft thing was that the kick( for which their player was booked) rather than giving Danny a broken leg ,which he would have us believe, actually served to spur him on to be our most effective player.

IMHO Beerens is comfortable (not his best game yesterday) on either the right or left whereas McCleary, one of our most important players, is uncomfortable on the left and is only half the player that he is when out on the right as shown in the second half.

BTW regarding time-wasting, the ref could have added on time in the first half with all of our time-wasting (Moore-Blackett, Blackett-Moore etc.) :wink:

So which is the best motivational method then? A kick up the ar*e or motivational booing?

Old School methods still work the best it seems. Just ask the manager of Billericay Town. This team talk spurred his team on to an 8-3 victory in the Alan Turvey Trophy Final. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t48Gzrh ... tion=share

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 18 Apr 2017 13:39

I know a lot of you divs are so pissed up at games that you don't see the opposition but I thought their centre-back was commanding in the air to the extent that Yann hardly won a challenge.
Checked him out last night- he has a bit of a pedigree as an Arsenal youngster but was bought by Cardiff and has been on loan at Rotherham where I guess he has been quite busy.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 18 Apr 2017 13:42

BR2 I know a lot of you divs are so pissed up at games that you don't see the opposition but I thought their centre-back was commanding in the air to the extent that Yann hardly won a challenge.
Checked him out last night- he has a bit of a pedigree as an Arsenal youngster but was bought by Cardiff and has been on loan at Rotherham where I guess he has been quite busy.

Apart from when Kermie outjumped him and thumped a header which the goalie did well to tip over the bar.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 18 Apr 2017 13:45

their keeper and no. 9 Ward were useful as well. I know Ward was getting some interest earlier in the season.

I think the make up of the Reading fans at home influences the atmosphere greatly. To be honest, I just see an absolute load of kids - more than I've ever seen at any other ground, and quite a few old boys. There isnt really any sort of hardcore element anywhere, who may be prone to a bit more vocal encouragement than a sort of fairly annoyed sigh, which is what I heard mainly at half time

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 18 Apr 2017 13:47

Hound their keeper and no. 9 Ward were useful as well. I know Ward was getting some interest earlier in the season.

I think the make up of the Reading fans at home influences the atmosphere greatly. To be honest, I just see an absolute load of kids - more than I've ever seen at any other ground, and quite a few old boys. There isnt really any sort of hardcore element anywhere, who may be prone to a bit more vocal encouragement than a sort of fairly annoyed sigh, which is what I heard mainly at half time

That's because the millenial generation are getting financially squeezed mate. RFC may be losing the millenials. They can't afford it with their rents/mortgages, zero hours contracts, low pay, no job security, high cost of cappuccinos etc.

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 18 Apr 2017 14:41

Hound their keeper and no. 9 Ward were useful as well. I know Ward was getting some interest earlier in the season.

Thought no.4 Vaulks had a pretty reasonable game too. Put a hell of a shift in. Credit to the ref as well. That's two decent ones in a row we've had a home.

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 18 Apr 2017 14:43

Top Flight
BR2 I know a lot of you divs are so pissed up at games that you don't see the opposition but I thought their centre-back was commanding in the air to the extent that Yann hardly won a challenge.

Apart from when Kermie outjumped him and thumped a header which the goalie did well to tip over the bar.

I'm not absolutely certain if he was marking him for that cross but if so, yes once in 90 minutes.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 18 Apr 2017 14:49

BR2
Top Flight

I'm not absolutely certain if he was marking him for that cross but if so, yes once in 90 minutes.

I'm not sure either. Not sure which of their centre backs was the one you meant.