Our rightful place?....

Linden Jones' Tash

Our rightful place?....

by Linden Jones' Tash » 20 Apr 2017 20:15

So I keep hearing chants of getting "back to where we belong" in reference to the Premier League.

Now I realise that everything is relative and younger fans may believe that being a Premier League club is our natural status.

However, I've uncovered evidence that supports our current position - 3rd in the Championship, as being about right for the 21st Century...

https://facupfactfile.wordpress.com/201 ... d70e706d81

This analysis of performances in the FA Cup in the 21st Century has us ranked as 23rd.....

Coincidence maybe, but feels about right to me...

genome
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Our rightful place?....

by genome » 20 Apr 2017 20:21

There's a "we're on our way back" chant, but I've heard nothing about it being "where we belong" :?

Linden Jones' Tash

by Linden Jones' Tash » 20 Apr 2017 20:27

genome There's a "we're on our way back" chant, but I've heard nothing about it being "where we belong" :?

OK, so I was maybe trying to fit the stats I found.... :oops: ...but "back" does imply something similar doesn't it...

But good stats right?

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 20 Apr 2017 20:31

We are an established second division side now, not only that but one that is used to competing towards the top end of it.

We've come a long way as a club.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 20 Apr 2017 20:34

Linden Jones' Tash
genome There's a "we're on our way back" chant, but I've heard nothing about it being "where we belong" :?

OK, so I was maybe trying to fit the stats I found.... :oops: ...but "back" does imply something similar doesn't it...

But good stats right?

"Back" just implies we have been in the Premier League before... which we have

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 20 Apr 2017 20:34

CountryRoyal We are an established second division side now, not only that but one that is used to competing towards the top end of it.

We've come a long way as a club.

+1

Traditionally was a 3rd tier club, after promotion we've had many seasons in the 2nd year.

We're established at this level and suit it I feel. With an average attendance of around 17000 ish that's healthy at this level, as well as our set up, etc...

We're trying like many to get promoted (we've done that before) but once there to stay there and grow to be an established PL side.

Now more than ever I'm quite thankful of our position when I look at Portsmouth, Wimbledon, Charlton, Coventry, Leyton Orient, all of whom have pretty much lost their clubs. I'm just happy that Reading is fairly well run and in a decent position.

If we don't get promoted for the next 5 years but stay here I'm happy enough. I'll keep going and will always have a ST no matter what.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 20 Apr 2017 20:37

the last two seasons were okish finishes to those of the pre-mcgoo days

Kev in Bracknell

by Kev in Bracknell » 20 Apr 2017 20:40

It did make me cringe a bit the first time I heard "we're on our way back" chant, but got used to it as it's sung at least 10 times at every away game I've been to this season.
I absolutely love "we've got the ball, we've lost the ball". Think it's the best chant I've ever heard at a football game. The opposition fans love it too, like at Derby, & a couple of the stewards near me at Villa were wetting themselves when they first heard it.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 20 Apr 2017 20:45

Kev in Bracknell I absolutely love "we've got the ball, we've lost the ball". Think it's the best chant I've ever heard at a football game.

You've obviously never heard:

"Synchronised clapping... synchronised clapping.. synchronished clapping " song before" - that is far more superior

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 20 Apr 2017 20:47

As for cringing - it's almost a compliment that people slate us. WE're on our way back?; to the PL - hell blood yes, what a thing to aspire to.

I'm absolutely delighted we are championship and secure, that's a fantastic position to be in. The mere fact that we're within touching distance of the top league is amazing.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 20 Apr 2017 20:55

Kev in Bracknell I absolutely love "we've got the ball, we've lost the ball". Think it's the best chant I've ever heard at a football game. The opposition fans love it too, like at Derby, & a couple of the stewards near me at Villa were wetting themselves when they first heard it.

Was such a kick in the teeth when the ball went into the stands and the derby fans wouldn't give it back and were then singing it back :x

siforest65

by siforest65 » 20 Apr 2017 21:10

To me it's an ever changing landscape. Any team that finishes in the top 2 of the championship and also the team that wins the play offs deserves to be in the Premier League. We always get some surprises such as Bournemouth and Leicester which is great for the game. Unfortunately the evolution of the Premier League has resulted in a skewed distribution of money in the game and there is a stranglehold of 5 or 6 teams which will dominate the trophies and never leave the top table. Pre Sky that could happen and even the great Man Utd got relegated in the 1960s. I even saw Chelsea and Man City getting relegated in the 1970s and 1980s and they've been fortunate so sit on the right side of the divide now the music has stopped playing.

i suppose no ones rightful place is in the Premier League and it has to be earned and retained but these days it's a little bit more static.

Kev in Bracknell

by Kev in Bracknell » 20 Apr 2017 21:15

bobby1413"][quote="Kev in Bracknell"]I absolutely love "we've got the ball, we've lost the ball". Think it's the best chant I've ever heard at a football game.

You've obviously never heard:

"Synchronised clapping... synchronised clapping.. synchronished clapping " song before" - that is far more superior

It's simple, repetitive, & self-deprecating.

Reading4eva
Hob Nob Regular

by Reading4eva » 21 Apr 2017 01:35

We probably should belong mid table in this league. Does our infrastructure belong in the Premier League? Apart from our academy, probably no. There are many lot bigger clubs BUT seriously does Bournemouth belong there either?

Emeraldroyal

by Emeraldroyal » 21 Apr 2017 06:31

Kev in Bracknell It did make me cringe a bit the first time I heard "we're on our way back" chant, but got used to it as it's sung at least 10 times at every away game I've been to this season.
I absolutely love "we've got the ball, we've lost the ball". Think it's the best chant I've ever heard at a football game. The opposition fans love it too, like at Derby, & a couple of the stewards near me at Villa were wetting themselves when they first heard it.

That was immense at Derby.
Went on for about 10 minutes solid.
Derby fans then reciprocated with their own verse second half.
Best away atmosphere I have been to in years that day.
Helped by the best away performance (first 30 minutes) I've seen in years.
Then it all got a bit shit :cry:

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 21 Apr 2017 06:47

I absolutely detest the phrase 'back where we belong'

Every team is exactly where they 'deserve' to be

No team has any devine right to be in a particular division or finish in a particular place
If that were the case then Preston would be top 4 PL permanently

East Grinstead Royal

by East Grinstead Royal » 21 Apr 2017 07:42

even the great Man Utd got relegated in the 1960s

No, they won the League in '67 and the European Cup in '68. Relegation was in the mid-70s.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 21 Apr 2017 08:24

Franchise FC I absolutely detest the phrase 'back where we belong'

Yep - I hate that too

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 21 Apr 2017 14:56

bobby1413
Franchise FC I absolutely detest the phrase 'back where we belong'

Yep - I hate that too

Me too. When used by our fans it shows staggering arrogance and lack of memory, when anyone else uses it, it's patronising, arrogant and dismissive.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 21 Apr 2017 15:08

genome
Linden Jones' Tash

But good stats right?

"Back" just implies we have been in the Premier League before... which we have

I assumed it implied we were off to the pub...