Ilori. Why did we buy him?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Ilori. Why did we buy him?

by Hound » 23 Apr 2017 07:57

Wouldn't be completely surprised if someone tried to buy Moore this summer either

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 23 Apr 2017 08:54

Hound Wouldn't be completely surprised if someone tried to buy Moore this summer either
this

If James Chester is a £9m centre back, then we should get decent money for him too

Dennis the Butler
Location: Wallowing in the Premiership glory ... oh bollox !!

by Dennis the Butler » 23 Apr 2017 09:44

NewCorkSeth
Dennis the Butler
NewCorkSeth

Any idea what the other top 7 teams have conceded since Xmas?

Did a quick check and taking Wednesday for example, they have conceded 21 goals in all comps over the same period, I would guess the other teams would be more or less the same ..

mumbo-jumbo

by mumbo-jumbo » 23 Apr 2017 10:49

3points
Hound Wouldn't be completely surprised if someone tried to buy Moore this summer either
this

If James Chester is a £9m centre back, then we should get decent money for him too

I hate the thought we might lose Moore. I know budgets have to be balanced, and much will depend on where we play next season, but I see him as a future captain that we should be building our defensive line around.

Not playing Ilori is a mystery to me. Now recovered from injury, a player Stam apparently has always rated and we are leaking goals, most notably since the injury of McShane. In the meantime we have our 'record breaking signing' defender sitting on the bench. I can't imagine he's particularly happy either. Is he saving him for the play offs as he knows he's so prone to getting injured?

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 23 Apr 2017 12:24

3points
this

Completely different circumstances and classes of player.

Don't really know who'd want to sign Moore. He didn't look up to it at Leicester, and while he's had some good games for us, he's also had his fair share of shockers and has conceded three penalties. We paid about £1.5m for him a year ago and I don't think he's done enough to make anyone give us a fair offer for him (probably about £4m given his importance to us). But then Leicester paid £5m for Mills so anything's possible.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 23 Apr 2017 16:03

SCIAG
3points
this

Don't really know who'd want to sign Moore. He didn't look up to it at Leicester, and while he's had some good games for us, he's also had his fair share of shockers and has conceded three penalties. We paid about £1.5m for him a year ago and I don't think he's done enough to make anyone give us a fair offer for him (probably about £4m given his importance to us). But then Leicester paid £5m for Mills so anything's possible.

Also worth factoring in that he was pushing to leave Leicester so he could play and develop. I don't see him immediately jumping at another move to risk sitting on a shit PL bench again, or jumping sideways and having to settle at a new Championship club all over again. He seems to have his head screwed on for the long term career choice. Which for me suggests he won't leave in the summer unless he absolutely has to.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 23 Apr 2017 16:21

Ian Royal
SCIAG
3points this

Also worth factoring in that he was pushing to leave Leicester so he could play and develop. I don't see him immediately jumping at another move to risk sitting on a shit PL bench again, or jumping sideways and having to settle at a new Championship club all over again. He seems to have his head screwed on for the long term career choice. Which for me suggests he won't leave in the summer unless he absolutely has to.

Excellent point. He seems to value playing time and personal progression over money. Hes a hell of a captain in the making.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 23 Apr 2017 16:39

Dennis the Butler
NewCorkSeth
Dennis the Butler

Any idea what the other top 7 teams have conceded since Xmas?

Did a quick check and taking Wednesday for example, they have conceded 21 goals in all comps over the same period, I would guess the other teams would be more or less the same ..

Reading - 33
Fulham - 27
Huddersfield - 25
Leeds - 19
Sheffield Wed - 19
League goals conceded since Jan. Were not looking too happy but if you took out the Norwich result and consider Huddersfield have a game in hand were not too far off.

Edit - - 19 of those goals have come in matches without McShane.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 23 Apr 2017 20:33

NewCorkSeth

Not sure what your point is with that stat - seems a bit meaningless stat that on its own!

Without Macca 19 conceded in 13 games Goals conceded per game: 1.47
With Macca, 14 conceded in 9 games Goals conceded per game: 1.56

Not exactly that much of a difference - and in fact, worse with Macca than without

Without Macca, goals scored per game - 20 - 1.54 goals scored per game
With Macca, goals scored per game (since Christmas) - 13 - 1.44 goals scored per game

Again, worse with Macca than without

If anybody is hoping for some sort of miracle with the return of Macca, they are going to be disappointed

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 23 Apr 2017 20:40

muirinho
NewCorkSeth

Not sure what your point is with that stat - seems a bit meaningless stat that on its own!

Not exactly that much of a difference - and in fact, worse with Macca than without

With Macca, goals scored per game (since Christmas) - 13 - 1.44 goals scored per game

If anybody is hoping for some sort of miracle with the return of Macca, they are going to be disappointed

I apologise I should have qualified that edit. I was simply stating the fact for anyone interested, as the most common explanation for our goals conceded issue is McShanes absence.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 24 Apr 2017 00:05

muirinho
NewCorkSeth

I'd be curious to see the records with the different defensive units.. and ideally including the deeper central midfielders in that. Clearly one player doesn't make a defence. Assuming we've managed any sort of consistent back 6 ish.

McShane is an upgrade on Blackett though. And allows us more leeway to better play three at the back. Gunter in CB is an emergency option only really.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 24 Apr 2017 09:38

Ian Royal
muirinho
NewCorkSeth

I'd be curious to see the records with the different defensive units.. and ideally including the deeper central midfielders in that. Clearly one player doesn't make a defence. Assuming we've managed any sort of consistent back 6 ish.

McShane is an upgrade on Blackett though. And allows us more leeway to better play three at the back. Gunter in CB is an emergency option only really.

I was surprised to learn Blackett has played more minutes this season than McShane. Obviously he's had to do a lot of filling in.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 26 Apr 2017 11:08

mumbo-jumbo Answers on a postcard please

Hi Mumbo jumbo

I like your posting style, have you ever thought of posting on some of the other board forums, such as Anything Else?

I think you'd be exactly the kind of edgy, erudite, cool and popular poster to make a real splash there