BFTG - Forest

120 posts
Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Posts: 5985
Joined: 26 Feb 2005 00:19
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

BFTG - Forest

by Kitsondinho » 22 Apr 2017 19:34

Well that was interesting! We started slowly and their first goal was coming. Terrible defending again after giving the ball away cheaply. Felt we came into it as the first half ended. However, we were defensively so poor again to concede the two after HT. Evans and Beerens (who I've previously been harsh on) changed the game. We looked much better with them on. Says a lot about our squad depth really! Yann took his goals well.....Gunt's penalty claim looked 50/50 to me and I've not seen a replay. Shame we didn't get the third, but good to see us react to going so far behind.
In terms of performances, I felt Blackett really grew into the game but still has a mistake in him. Williams was really good and obviously the aforementioned Yann, Evans and Beerens. Also good to see Mendes putting himself about at the end! All in all a frustrating but not devestating loss. Plus thanks to Sheff Wed, Fulham and especially Burton, we're going to make the play-offs....I can't see us losing both remaining games and the other results all playing out for us to drop to 7th!

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 3990
Joined: 02 Jun 2006 22:46

Re: BFTG - Forest

by Top Flight » 22 Apr 2017 19:39

Kitsondinho wrote:Well that was interesting! We started slowly and their first goal was coming. Terrible defending again after giving the ball away cheaply. Felt we came into it as the first half ended. However, we were defensively so poor again to concede the two after HT. Evans and Beerens (who I've previously been harsh on) changed the game. We looked much better with them on. Says a lot about our squad depth really! Yann took his goals well.....Gunt's penalty claim looked 50/50 to me and I've not seen a replay. Shame we didn't get the third, but good to see us react to going so far behind.
In terms of performances, I felt Blackett really grew into the game but still has a mistake in him. Williams was really good and obviously the aforementioned Yann, Evans and Beerens. Also good to see Mendes putting himself about at the end! All in all a frustrating but not devestating loss. Plus thanks to Sheff Wed, Fulham and especially Burton, we're going to make the play-offs....I can't see us losing both remaining games and the other results all playing out for us to drop to 7th!


I cant believe Leeds have fallen away so tragically. I thought Sheffield Wednesday were the team at risk but then they hit red hot form. Red Hot Leeds have suddenly gone cold.

At least you've had a good time up in Nottingham today despite the result.

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Posts: 5985
Joined: 26 Feb 2005 00:19
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

Re: BFTG - Forest

by Kitsondinho » 22 Apr 2017 20:00

Top Flight wrote:
Kitsondinho wrote:Well that was interesting! We started slowly and their first goal was coming. Terrible defending again after giving the ball away cheaply. Felt we came into it as the first half ended. However, we were defensively so poor again to concede the two after HT. Evans and Beerens (who I've previously been harsh on) changed the game. We looked much better with them on. Says a lot about our squad depth really! Yann took his goals well.....Gunt's penalty claim looked 50/50 to me and I've not seen a replay. Shame we didn't get the third, but good to see us react to going so far behind.
In terms of performances, I felt Blackett really grew into the game but still has a mistake in him. Williams was really good and obviously the aforementioned Yann, Evans and Beerens. Also good to see Mendes putting himself about at the end! All in all a frustrating but not devestating loss. Plus thanks to Sheff Wed, Fulham and especially Burton, we're going to make the play-offs....I can't see us losing both remaining games and the other results all playing out for us to drop to 7th!


I cant believe Leeds have fallen away so tragically. I thought Sheffield Wednesday were the team at risk but then they hit red hot form. Red Hot Leeds have suddenly gone cold.

At least you've had a good time up in Nottingham today despite the result.

Indeed, with the added bonus of it only taking me 40 mins to get back to Chesterfield......didn't have time to dwell for too long on our daft defending!! It is going to cost us in the play-offs!!

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 3990
Joined: 02 Jun 2006 22:46

Re: BFTG - Forest

by Top Flight » 22 Apr 2017 20:09

Kitsondinho wrote:
Top Flight wrote:
Kitsondinho wrote:Well that was interesting! We started slowly and their first goal was coming. Terrible defending again after giving the ball away cheaply. Felt we came into it as the first half ended. However, we were defensively so poor again to concede the two after HT. Evans and Beerens (who I've previously been harsh on) changed the game. We looked much better with them on. Says a lot about our squad depth really! Yann took his goals well.....Gunt's penalty claim looked 50/50 to me and I've not seen a replay. Shame we didn't get the third, but good to see us react to going so far behind.
In terms of performances, I felt Blackett really grew into the game but still has a mistake in him. Williams was really good and obviously the aforementioned Yann, Evans and Beerens. Also good to see Mendes putting himself about at the end! All in all a frustrating but not devestating loss. Plus thanks to Sheff Wed, Fulham and especially Burton, we're going to make the play-offs....I can't see us losing both remaining games and the other results all playing out for us to drop to 7th!


I cant believe Leeds have fallen away so tragically. I thought Sheffield Wednesday were the team at risk but then they hit red hot form. Red Hot Leeds have suddenly gone cold.

At least you've had a good time up in Nottingham today despite the result.

Indeed, with the added bonus of it only taking me 40 mins to get back to Chesterfield......didn't have time to dwell for too long on our daft defending!! It is going to cost us in the play-offs!!


I think we'll be alright in the playoffs. I don't think these last few games have any bearing whatsoever when it comes to the playoffs. We seem to have a tendency at the moment to get complacent and drop off the intensity levels of our performances when it looks like it's job done.

We thought we were as good as in the playoffs a few weeks ago after we beat Wolves and held Newcastle. But then we lost at Preston, all other results went against us and all of a sudden we travelled to Sheffield Wednesday expecting to lose up there and fall out of the play offs. But when it came to the crunch the team responded and followed up with 3 straight wins. That took us to Norwich with us again feeling like we are as good as in. Not helped by Dellor and Gooding wetting themselves and saying we have basically made it. We got complacent again, got thrashed and then responded again with more good wins.

The team have shown that when they need to pull out a result they have been very impressive in pulling them out.
For me that bodes well for the playoffs. In those games we will need to pull out a result. We have no one to fear. When the intensity and concentration is at its highest we seem to come up with the goods.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict
Posts: 8830
Joined: 15 Apr 2004 10:52
Location: All Good Things Come To An End

Re: BFTG - Forest

by Gordons Cumming » 22 Apr 2017 20:12

As Stam said they were more aggressive than us. It was interesting to see Garath Mcleary join us all in the stands. Very brave of him.


User avatar
Melton Royal
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 2724
Joined: 07 Aug 2006 21:30
Location: Melton, New York, Paris & Dubai - but mostly Melton

Re: BFTG - Forest

by Melton Royal » 22 Apr 2017 20:21

Gordons Cumming wrote: It was interesting to see Garath Mcleary join us all in the stands. Very brave of him.


Did he buy the half time beers though??

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict
Posts: 8830
Joined: 15 Apr 2004 10:52
Location: All Good Things Come To An End

Re: BFTG - Forest

by Gordons Cumming » 22 Apr 2017 20:28

Melton Royal wrote:
Gordons Cumming wrote: It was interesting to see Garath Mcleary join us all in the stands. Very brave of him.


Did he buy the half time beers though??


Don't think he moved from his seat. Too scared probably.
8)

User avatar
Irvinchangeyaname
Member
Posts: 909
Joined: 01 Jan 2005 10:28
Location: Hove

Re: BFTG - Forest

by Irvinchangeyaname » 22 Apr 2017 20:36

Adrian Popa looked like he won his place in a charity raffle. Totally clueless.

User avatar
WAZZOCK
Member
Posts: 736
Joined: 11 Apr 2006 23:09

Re: BFTG - Forest

by WAZZOCK » 22 Apr 2017 21:00

Gordons Cumming wrote:As Stam said they were more aggressive than us. It was interesting to see Garath Mcleary join us all in the stands. Very brave of him.


And the team who ended it more. It's a bit of a shame that we couldn't nick a draw, as that would have guaranteed the place - but we have more or less made it now.


User avatar
LWJ
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Posts: 12076
Joined: 10 Aug 2007 09:59
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012

Re: BFTG - Forest

by LWJ » 22 Apr 2017 21:07

Let ourselves down with a slow start, but have to say Forest didn't look like a relegation side. We move on...

Thankfully Fulham and Huddesfield fans summed it up perfectly. "Leeds, Leeds are falling apart again" :D :D :D

siforest65
Member
Posts: 76
Joined: 14 May 2011 18:58
Location: Sandhurst

Re: BFTG - Forest

by siforest65 » 22 Apr 2017 21:16

I pondered over ether to post or not as I didn't want to be appear to be gloating. That was a massive 3 points for Forest. Oddly at the City Ground, teams that have come to play football have been beaten maybe because they push and make it a more open game.

We move on and I wish Reading all the best in their quest through the play offs. Mixed emotions in a way as I enjoy the convenience of a short bus ride to see Forest once a season should Forest stay up of course. I do have an account on the with the Reading ticket office and will use it for home tickets when you play Derby, Leicester etc

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 3990
Joined: 02 Jun 2006 22:46

Re: BFTG - Forest

by Top Flight » 22 Apr 2017 21:25

Gordons Cumming wrote:As Stam said they were more aggressive than us. It was interesting to see Garath Mcleary join us all in the stands. Very brave of him.


Why wasn't Gmac on the pitch? Is he injured at the moment or was Jaap giving him a rest?

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 3990
Joined: 02 Jun 2006 22:46

Re: BFTG - Forest

by Top Flight » 22 Apr 2017 21:27

siforest65 wrote:I pondered over ether to post or not as I didn't want to be appear to be gloating. That was a massive 3 points for Forest. Oddly at the City Ground, teams that have come to play football have been beaten maybe because they push and make it a more open game.

We move on and I wish Reading all the best in their quest through the play offs. Mixed emotions in a way as I enjoy the convenience of a short bus ride to see Forest once a season should Forest stay up of course. I do have an account on the with the Reading ticket office and will use it for home tickets when you play Derby, Leicester etc


Well done Forest. I hope you stay up. I enjoy our encounters with your side. I hope we won't be playing you next season though.


User avatar
Jack Celliers
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 1261
Joined: 29 Apr 2004 08:43
Location: Buried in sand

Re: BFTG - Forest

by Jack Celliers » 22 Apr 2017 21:28

The beginning was horrible - we didn't win a tackle or a header for about an hour - and the last ten minutes was just about whether Forest could get four or five, but at least we had that short spell in the middle of the second half where we played with a bit of energy to send us home happy. And the weather was nice. And Leeds lost. And Blackett was very good.

User avatar
LWJ
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Posts: 12076
Joined: 10 Aug 2007 09:59
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012

Re: BFTG - Forest

by LWJ » 22 Apr 2017 21:32

Am I right in thinking Newcastle, Brighton and few other playoff teams have all lost at Forest this year?

siforest65
Member
Posts: 76
Joined: 14 May 2011 18:58
Location: Sandhurst

Re: BFTG - Forest

by siforest65 » 22 Apr 2017 21:43

LWJ wrote:Am I right in thinking Newcastle, Brighton and few other playoff teams have all lost at Forest this year?


Yes, Huddersfield and Leeds too. Forest are a frustrating team this season. They were pure garbage when at Reading earlier this season and at home to the more robust teams that pack a defence at the City Ground it's usually a defeat.

A few Forest fans predicted a possible win today because Reading "are a good side". Crazy game football.

Davezk
Member
Posts: 610
Joined: 05 Sep 2012 21:10
Location: Bedford

Re: BFTG - Forest

by Davezk » 22 Apr 2017 21:46

Gunter was getting destroyed in the first half.

We seem to control the ball but it always feels like we're on the backfoot as when we give the ball away, the opposition seem to go close to scoring or create a chance.

When we do attack, it is usually too slow. It only opens up when we play a quick 1-2 on the edge of the box.

Can't see how we will win the playoffs assuming we make it. Could not rule us out losing to Wigan and Burton...

Eric Hitchmough
New Member
Posts: 6
Joined: 10 Mar 2017 11:47
Location: Coventry Conference

Re: BFTG - Forest

by Eric Hitchmough » 22 Apr 2017 21:55

First half was dreadful, as bad as Norwich but some decent saves and defending kept it at 1 - 0. How Popa stayed on is beyond me, started the second half just as bad and the game was gone in 10 minutes. We wouldn't of deserved a draw and even at 3 - 2 I didn't think we were going to get anything, luckily no one else seems to want the play offs either and we are somehow still 3rd.

Thought Obita had a good game, fantastic cross for the first Kermorgant goal. Blackett did well, Grabban one of our only decent performers in the first half but faded away and should have been bought off in my opinion.

Desperately need a leader in these games as well. Gunter did alright today but just doesn't have the minerals to settle the players down when we were under the cosh so badly in the first half.

User avatar
LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 2897
Joined: 18 Jan 2005 21:06
Location: Derbyshire

Re: BFTG - Forest

by LoyalRoyal22 » 22 Apr 2017 22:26

Going through the motions today. Wasn't winning any tackles or second balls.

User avatar
Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Posts: 2597
Joined: 14 Apr 2004 11:35
Location: Watching the revolving door at the County Ground

Re: BFTG - Forest

by Lower West » 22 Apr 2017 22:37

That was embarrassing. Stam's fixation with a set style of play maybe his downfall. Tactically naive from the kick off. Is this Stam's way of telling the owners what investment is required. In order to achieve the goals he has set personally. All that was required was a single point to secure a play off place.

120 posts

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 57 guests

It is currently 10 Dec 2018 02:20