BFTG - Forest

jar95

Re: BFTG - Forest

by jar95 » 26 Apr 2017 08:57

muirinho
CountryRoyal
muirinho
He'd quickly become the new scapegoat I think. Couldn't stop Reading conceding 2 against Leicester, or Chelsea, in the last two U23 games he played - and we all know how influential the rightback/right wing-back position is, so it was clearly his fault.

:lol:

In all seriousness, I wish he'd been given a few more appearances this season - unfortunately for him because every match has turned out important, Stam wasn't risking him. And because he's ever present on the senior bench, he hasn't had too much opportunity at U23 level either. If we'd made sure of playoffs earlier, he might have got a couple of games - now we might not get it sorted till last game.

the fact that all the previous managers havent properly tried to replace Gunter (except S. Kelly possibly) says a lot.. and Watson has played what 90 mins of first team football and you'd replace a player with 400+ appearances for that? nothing against watson, i want him to do well..

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 26 Apr 2017 10:23

jar95
muirinho
CountryRoyal

In all seriousness, I wish he'd been given a few more appearances this season - unfortunately for him because every match has turned out important, Stam wasn't risking him. And because he's ever present on the senior bench, he hasn't had too much opportunity at U23 level either. If we'd made sure of playoffs earlier, he might have got a couple of games - now we might not get it sorted till last game.

the fact that all the previous managers havent properly tried to replace Gunter (except S. Kelly possibly) says a lot.. and Watson has played what 90 mins of first team football and you'd replace a player with 400+ appearances for that? nothing against watson, i want him to do well..

Exactly. You are absolutely spot on. We are on the right side of the argument Jar95. We are on the same side of the argument as Jaap Stam, Steven Reid, Andries Ulderink, Brian McDermott, Chris Davies, Steve Clarke, Nigel Gibbs, Nigel Adkins, Chris Coleman, Billy Davies? Maybe.

Much better to be on this side of the argument than on the other side with such muppets as BR2 and Ian Royal. What a joke.

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 26 Apr 2017 11:53

Top Flight
jar95
muirinho In all seriousness, I wish he'd been given a few more appearances this season - unfortunately for him because every match has turned out important, Stam wasn't risking him. And because he's ever present on the senior bench, he hasn't had too much opportunity at U23 level either. If we'd made sure of playoffs earlier, he might have got a couple of games - now we might not get it sorted till last game.

Exactly. You are absolutely spot on. We are on the right side of the argument Jar95. We are on the same side of the argument as Jaap Stam, Steven Reid, Andries Ulderink, Brian McDermott, Chris Davies, Steve Clarke, Nigel Gibbs, Nigel Adkins, Chris Coleman, Billy Davies? Maybe.

Much better to be on this side of the argument than on the other side with such muppets as BR2 and Ian Royal. What a joke.

Er...most of those have been sacked probably for believing in Gunter. :wink:

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 26 Apr 2017 11:56

:D

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 26 Apr 2017 12:47

jar95
muirinho
CountryRoyal

Watson's played a lot more than 90 unless you're ignoring cup games.

We've always had higher priorities than Gunter for signings. It's not like he's dire. He's just not up to top end Championship and above aspirations.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 26 Apr 2017 13:33

Ian Royal We've always had higher priorities than Gunter for signings. It's not like he's dire. He's just not up to top end Championship and above aspirations.

This is so wrong and even worse it's making me side with TF

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 26 Apr 2017 14:22

Ian Royal
jar95
muirinho In all seriousness, I wish he'd been given a few more appearances this season - unfortunately for him because every match has turned out important, Stam wasn't risking him. And because he's ever present on the senior bench, he hasn't had too much opportunity at U23 level either. If we'd made sure of playoffs earlier, he might have got a couple of games - now we might not get it sorted till last game.

We've always had higher priorities than Gunter for signings. It's not like he's dire. He's just not up to top end Championship and above aspirations.
We have had higher priorities than Gunter because when you already have the best right back in the league there isn't a better right back that you can sign.

jar95

by jar95 » 27 Apr 2017 09:55

Top Flight
Ian Royal
jar95

We have had higher priorities than Gunter because when you already have the best right back in the league there isn't a better right back that you can sign.

like I said, people like to blame easy targets.. we will miss Gunter when he goes

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 27 Apr 2017 12:45

jar95
Top Flight
Ian Royal Watson's played a lot more than 90 unless you're ignoring cup games.

like I said, people like to blame easy targets.. I and TF will miss Gunter when he goes

Corrected for you.

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 27 Apr 2017 13:03

Some years ago I had the pleasure of sitting next to Steve Coppell at the LMA annual dinner (said from a factual rather than look at me perspective) and the best of it was that he was happy to talk openly about individual players and their faults.
Presumably if I had then put stuff on here he could just have denied everything if he felt it necessary so he was extremely open about things to do with the players and with the club.

I mention this because as fans we would love to hear what the manager really thinks of those players out there in the hoops-is somebody a stop-gap, does somebody have a future?etc.
One thing that Coppell said that evening was that young Jem is just too brave for his own good-time has shown what we and he felt about Jem and his career has suffered because of it.
Also he said that in his view a certain winger who has been to a number of clubs after leaving us has ability but just doesn't have the heart for the job and Steve was looking to move him on.

Obviously Stam is not going to tell fans about his players (although Brian wasn't over-cagey at his fans forums) but it would be interesting to hear what he thinks of each of them.

biff

by biff » 27 Apr 2017 14:10

BR2 Some years ago I had the pleasure of sitting next to Steve Coppell at the LMA annual dinner (said from a factual rather than look at me perspective) and the best of it was that he was happy to talk openly about individual players and their faults.

Would love to hear a bit more if you can remember any!

jar95

by jar95 » 27 Apr 2017 15:50

BR2
jar95
Top Flight We have had higher priorities than Gunter because when you already have the best right back in the league there isn't a better right back that you can sign.

like I said, people like to blame easy targets.. I and TF will miss Gunter when he goes

Corrected for you.

Top Banter :lol:

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 27 Apr 2017 16:06

BR2
jar95
Top Flight We have had higher priorities than Gunter because when you already have the best right back in the league there isn't a better right back that you can sign.

Corrected for you.

Any more whining about my fave hun Gunter, and I will start another bore-fest using stats with and without him in the PL season.

You have been warned!

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 27 Apr 2017 17:38

muirinho
BR2
jar95

Corrected for you.

Any more whining about my fave hun Gunter, and I will start another bore-fest using stats with and without him in the PL season.

You have been warned!

You can use as many stats as you like, but Gunter (and Cummings and Kelly) simply weren't up to it in the PL. You can work on your stats to show that Gunter was better than the others maybe, but he'll still come out as not good enough at that level at that time (or any other tbh).

I could write you an essay on why he's mediocre in retaliation. I won't though, HNA's bad enough as it is.

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 28 Apr 2017 12:39

biff
BR2 Some years ago I had the pleasure of sitting next to Steve Coppell at the LMA annual dinner (said from a factual rather than look at me perspective) and the best of it was that he was happy to talk openly about individual players and their faults.

Would love to hear a bit more if you can remember any!

Don't think it would be right especially info on what went on when we loaned 4 players to the then skint AFC Bournemouth.
The more general point is that it is a shame that, apart from Mourinho,so little is said in public concerning managers' views on their players.

Davezk

by Davezk » 28 Apr 2017 17:18

Cmon why can't you tell us what happened years ago? Either spit it out or don't allude to the info in the first place you cocktease

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 28 Apr 2017 18:58

Ian Royal We've always had higher priorities than Gunter for signings. It's not like he's dire. He's just not up to top end Championship and above aspirations.

Murty managed to continually work on his game and improve.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 28 Apr 2017 20:24

Lower West

Murty managed to continually work on his game and improve.

Murty had guts and a streak of nasty.

Can't ever see Gunter doing a Griffin and using his experience and strength to bully a winger. It'd be like having a lamb try to savage you.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 29 Apr 2017 07:35

I wouldn't want to see you go head to head with a lamb Ian. You'd get eaten alive.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 29 Apr 2017 09:26

I'm having roast lamb tomorrow.