BFTG - Wigan

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

BFTG - Wigan

by Silver Fox » 29 Apr 2017 18:29

Pretty dour stuff that, made worse by the incredibly negative belmonts who sit behind us.
Daughter was a rare attendee and suggested we could of left after 10 minutes as everything had happened by then, including Evans being a very lucky boy. I think the ref pulled the "it's too early for a red" tactic but later work by him suggested he was just inept.
No matter how many chances we gave Wigan they wouldn't have scored if they carried on playing during the lap of appreciation. I'd like to think we're keeping our powder dry for the bigger battles ahead.

Regardless of anything we may be doing right or wrong, LOLeeds

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

Re: BFTG - Wigan

by windermereROYAL » 29 Apr 2017 18:40

Silver Fox including Evans being a very lucky boy.

Are you saying this because the lad broke his leg?. agree it was late. but it wasnt high or over the ball. yellow all day long for me.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 29 Apr 2017 18:45

Looked like it could have been red from my seat in the ED, I'll wait until I drunkenly watch the highlights later to be certain

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 29 Apr 2017 19:03

Silver Fox Pretty dour stuff that, made worse by the incredibly negative belmonts who sit behind us.

Could we please have a 'negative belmonts' stand for next season. I'd like to nominate a founder member who sits in Y21 right behind us. Absolutely effing unbelievable. I'm sure he would prefer to see the team play shyte and lose, rather than play poorly and win - just so that he could feel even happier moaning. Today he was moaning about Beerens (his favourite target) conceding a free kick for being too physical; literally a minute later he's bawling 'Beerens you're a chicken' when he had lifted his foot to allow a defender who was sliding in to concede a throw to us.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 29 Apr 2017 19:06

windermereROYAL

Are you saying this because the lad broke his leg?. agree it was late. but it wasnt high or over the ball. yellow all day long for me.

Yep, some people don't seem to realise that the officials have to make their decision on the nature/seriousness of the challenge, rather than on the nature of any injury that a player unfortunately picks up.

Hate to see a serious injury like that and wish Shaun Macdonald a speedy recovery.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 29 Apr 2017 19:09

My god, the bloke in front of me was a disgrace. While the poor Wigan lad was down with a broken leg he was hurling abuse at him for being soft, shouting that he should "drink more milk", complaining that the medics were taking too long, then shouting at the guy on the buggy taking ages to get off the pitch.

He then spent the next 10 minutes shouting at the players whenever we passed backwards, before leaving his seat 10 minutes before half-time and disappearing into the concourse. He didn't come back :lol:

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 29 Apr 2017 19:46

Were Wigan seriously chanting "FA Cup Winners, you'll never sing that" or did I mishear? I get the whole Champions of Europe thing Forest sing even if it is ridiculous they still sing that, but surely we have a pretty realistic chance of winning the FA Cup in the next decade or so.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 29 Apr 2017 19:50

It's only been 4 years mate! I'd sing it if Reading won the FA Cup...

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 29 Apr 2017 19:52

genome It's only been 4 years mate! I'd sing it if Reading won the FA Cup...

Nothing against them singing about winning the FA Cup, just the choice of song doesn't make much sense to me.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 29 Apr 2017 20:01

I'd like to be able to say that the majority of moaners are day trippers, but some of the things I heard in the ED by regulars around my seat was appalling :lol: apparently the players should be embarrassed, the footballs terrible and we will get royally shown up in the playoffs according to one guy. Why do some people bother?

I think it's simply just a case that there are too many fans still living in 106-land and just haven't watched many other live football matches so the style of play and not lumping into the oppositions half it is just not on their wavelength when it comes to watching football at the mad Stad.

Agreed it was an ugly win - from the stands it is so easy to criticise the players but they just played a side who were fighting for their champ status; Ali al Habsi outstanding, Kermorgant battled all game, Moore again solid, Kelly still an absolute gem. Wigan barely got a touch till the 20-25th minute.

The only negatives from me was that Grabban looks off the pace again? Also Swift and Beerens tended to shy away from a few things and kept quiet.

But the great thing about this team is; we all know they can step up when it matters. Regardless of who we play in the playoffs, I think this squad will stand tall and up the tempo like they tend to against the top teams in this league this season.
Last edited by royalp-we on 29 Apr 2017 20:23, edited 1 time in total.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 29 Apr 2017 20:21

windermereROYAL

Nah that was a nasty red all day long. Very lucky boy.

Luckily he got a yellow so won't be retrospectively banned

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 29 Apr 2017 20:43

lol that was shit.

Onto the playoffs!

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Apr 2017 20:52

Wasn't great was it?

I don't think Evans tackle was especially bad looking at the replay. Yellow at the most, certainly didn't appear to be intent

No obvious mom. Missed Williams I thought. Ilori looked good to me, that ball which set up Beerens was a gem.

Thought Wigan were ok actually. Certainly better than a few teams that have come this year.

And yeah quite a few muppets having a go at the team despite being 1-0 up in a game we needed a point in to make the Play offs, which literally nobody thought we were capable of 9 months ago. Makes you wonder sometimes

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 29 Apr 2017 20:54

I thought today, once again, showed the way to dominate us is to play with three at the back and with wing backs. Our 4-3-3 is too narrow to cope with it and exposes our full backs, who can get overloaded or caught out of position with no cover. We looked better against it when Ilori came on and we matched them up formation wise.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 29 Apr 2017 21:18

3points I thought today, once again, showed the way to dominate us is to play with three at the back and with wing backs. Our 4-3-3 is too narrow to cope with it and exposes our full backs, who can get overloaded or caught out of position with no cover. We looked better against it when Ilori came on and we matched them up formation wise.

Yeah seemed very effective what with Wigan going away with no points :roll:

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 29 Apr 2017 21:43

Only seen the tackle once, as it happened and my immediate reaction was yellow. Thought both players stretched for the ball and unfortunately their guy came of worse. People who see the replay may view it differently.
Frankly I thought the very late tackle on Beerens a bit before was worse in many ways, was a deliberate playing of the man well after the ball had gone, cynical but without the horrendous injury.
It was interesting that initially the Wigan players were angry but at least a couple then spoke to Evans calmly and the 33 shook his hand.

ILoveMoonPig

by ILoveMoonPig » 29 Apr 2017 22:09

Happy with that, to be honest. At the start of the season, I was expecting us to struggle, so securing the playoffs is hitting way above target.

My only concern is the number of teams who underperformed this year (Derby, Birmingham, Norwich, Villa etc), who I'm not sure we can rely on repeating this next year.

Slightly concerned that if we don't manage to win the playoffs, we might find ourselves further down the table next year.

Then again, with the form the playoff teams are in, it could be anyone's year.

We've been there before, I'm cautiously optimistic this year, even if this post fails to reflect that.

Emeraldroyal

by Emeraldroyal » 29 Apr 2017 22:35

John Madejski's Wallet
windermereROYAL

Nah that was a nasty red all day long. Very lucky boy.

Luckily he got a yellow so won't be retrospectively banned

Bollocks. A 50/50 ball.

I heard the poor lads leg go and him screaming afterwards but it was a hard tackle nothing more.

Diablo Diablo

by Diablo Diablo » 29 Apr 2017 22:42

Was an awful match, but nothing different to Rotherham, Blackburn, Notts Forest, Norwich etc over the past few weeks. How many chances did Wigan create and how few attempts on target ? They ripped us apart at times but woeful close to goal.

The no show for several halves of matches has been disappointing against teams of this calibre though they are fighting for survival they showed why they are where they are.

The job has been done, playoffs achieved hopefully they will find something better for the next games - be interesting who takes the field against Burton and what the result is.

Ultimately now, we move on to the matches that will really matter !

Come on URZ

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 29 Apr 2017 23:04

So ends our home games and we have finished with the fewest home losses in the division and the 2nd best home record overall, just a point behind the Barcelona of the South.

So all in all the majority of viewing fans have seen mostly wins this season, not too shabby right?