2%
Ian Royal
9%

Total votes: 65
genome
Hob Nob Legend

Performance of the Season

by genome » 05 May 2017 09:27

Not really counting playoff games as regular season games. What was the best performance of the season, for you? I've chosen some key results for a poll.

Was going to do Best/Worst but the worst one will obviously be Norwich in a landslide, so not gonna bother.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Performance of the Season

by Top Flight » 05 May 2017 09:38

For me it has to be Leeds at home. At the time Leeds were going great guns and looked dead certs for the play offs. They were in top form having recently beat Brighton and drew with Newcastle. Our performance was intense, well organised, very sold and tactically brilliant. We completely outclassed Leeds and the loss of confidence that Leeds suffered as a result started a slide in fortunes that saw them drop out of the play off picture altogether. They knew they couldn't compete with the big boys in the division and that self doubt manifested itself in a complete collapse in form and subsequent slide down the table.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 05 May 2017 10:26

Barnsley away was two very impressive performances.
Pre GMac's red card we looked awesome going forward, after the card we dug in and put in a heroic defensive show.
So must be worthy of figuring on the list.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 05 May 2017 10:32

Top Flight For me it has to be Leeds at home. At the time Leeds were going great guns and looked dead certs for the play offs. They were in top form having recently beat Brighton and drew with Newcastle. Our performance was intense, well organised, very sold and tactically brilliant. We completely outclassed Leeds and the loss of confidence that Leeds suffered as a result started a slide in fortunes that saw them drop out of the play off picture altogether. They knew they couldn't compete with the big boys in the division and that self doubt manifested itself in a complete collapse in form and subsequent slide down the table.

I went for this, add to all of the above the mind games following the away game, Jaap and Yann best them off and on the pitch. Big show of mental strength as well as ability on the pitch.

jar95

by jar95 » 05 May 2017 10:49

voted for Villa for a number of reasons, huge result after the awful game at Norwich, dominated the game and was the game I was confident we would finish in the play offs.

Also a special note to the first half/hour of Barnsley away, who were 2nd (?) at the time and looking really good and we went there and dominated the game

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 May 2017 11:42

Brentford was the most entertaining game if not the best performance

Shelf Weds away was the moment when I was sure we would make the play offs. Also the result that gives me most confidence for the games ahead

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 05 May 2017 12:05

The fogged off game

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 05 May 2017 12:20

Also went for Leeds at home, I know Bristol City will get a lot of votes but they way I saw it, we should never have let ourselves get in a position where we had to turn it around from 2-0 down.

Stockport Royal

by Stockport Royal » 05 May 2017 12:29

I was really impressed at the Barnsley game, not talked about much, most likely because there was only around 25 of us there.

The way we controlled that game for the full second half was extremely impressive, G Mac hanging around outside the exit to the away end at full time as a bit of an apology was a fair gesture.

Wasn't at Bristol away, but the scenes in the away end at Hillsborough as Popa beat their last man to run clear with an open goal were amazing, I didn't even see him put it in the net, already on my arse pretty much!

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 05 May 2017 12:41

Was odd to see Gmac in the car park. Apparantly Stam told him at half time it would be in his best interests to not be in the dressing room at the end of the game.
He was both smaller and younger than I had expected him to be.

The other bizarre event at Barnsley was al Habsi having to borrow a cap from the crowd as the sun was in his eyes.
Last edited by Nameless on 05 May 2017 12:42, edited 1 time in total.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 05 May 2017 12:41

Barnsley away was brilliant! Especially considering their league position at the time, think it was second in the table with a 100% home record?

For me though the most impressed I've been by us was the Leeds game. Really complete performance.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 05 May 2017 12:43

Nameless Was odd to see Gmac in the car park. Apparantly Stam told him at half time it would be in his best interests to not be in the dressing room at the end of the game.

:shock:

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 05 May 2017 12:44

Thought Wednesday (A) would have been a runaway winner here.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 05 May 2017 12:44

Stockport Royal Wasn't at Bristol away, but the scenes in the away end at Hillsborough as Popa beat their last man to run clear with an open goal were amazing, I didn't even see him put it in the net, already on my arse pretty much!

Me neither, absolute mad scenes!!! I think that narrowly beats Ashton Gate this season. Both were incredible though.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 05 May 2017 12:47

genome
Nameless Was odd to see Gmac in the car park. Apparantly Stam told him at half time it would be in his best interests to not be in the dressing room at the end of the game.

:shock:

Suspect Jaap is not a man to be messed with.
Sir Alex may have had a hairdryer, Jaap probably carried a flamethrower in his back pocket !

Although comments made, by Jaap post Norwich suggest this may not be an accurate assumption.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 05 May 2017 12:51

I think people are forgetting the first 75 minutes of Bristol City away :lol:

Kuhl_Runnings

by Kuhl_Runnings » 05 May 2017 13:03

Went for Norwich at home, because that was the game when I started to believe the team could go up, at the mid point of the season, and although if memory serves Norwich were in poor form they were still a good side and gave us a game, in which I thought we played possession football at it's best - creatively. Our defence were sound and we knew when to attack and scored 3 goals to show for it. Also Harriot's late effort is probably goal of the season IMO. It was a game or two after the Leeds defeat too, a good way to bounce back, although I doubt many people will agree with me about it being the best it's definitely the best I'VE seen us play all year

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 05 May 2017 13:21

Although we didn't win I thought our best performance wa against Real Hove Albion. To take on one of Europes elite clubs and hold them to a draw was a great achievement.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 05 May 2017 13:40

For me its Sheffield Wednesday away which was the best away performance I have seen from us since we beat Southampton at St Mary's 3-1. We nicked a goal early on and probably should have had a couple more before they battered us at the end. However, we defended out of our skins and nicked a 2nd right at the death.

This was considering we'd come out of a poor run of games and were in real danger of falling out of the playoffs. I think that win morally pushed us to a playoff place.

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 05 May 2017 13:55

Not that I went but Aston Villa away will take some beating given the dreadful result the week before and the added pressure of everyone playing Good Friday. Villa themselves weren't in bad home IIRC.