Dave Kitson

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Dave Kitson

by Zammo » 10 May 2017 10:08

Kitson's Wiki page on his Stoke transfer.....................

On 18 July 2008, Kitson moved in a £5.5m move from Reading to Stoke City, breaking Stoke's record transfer fee.[8]

Having failed to score any goals in any of the 18 competitive games he played for Stoke City in the 2008–09 season, speculation arose as to whether Kitson was settled there or not. Chairman Peter Coates and manager Tony Pulis both denied any rumour that he might be leaving the Britannia Stadium.[9] The Stoke City board reacted to this growing disquiet, and he rejoined Reading on loan until the end of the 2008–09 season on 10 March 2009.[10]

Kitson later revealed that he made the "wrong decision" in joining Stoke, adding that he and his family were happy at Reading and that "I threw all of that away for what I thought was going to be a new challenge... I hold my hands up – it was my fault. I made the decision to go to Stoke, I didn't have to, no-one forced me to go, and it was a bad decision." With regards to his failure to score for Stoke, he said "I'd been bought for a lot of money but I wasn't sure I was being utilised in the way I thought I was going to be... You do have some days at training when you go back in and wonder what you're doing there."[11]

However, Reading failed to gain promotion, meaning that Kitson returned to Stoke. Kitson stated that he would "start his Stoke career again".[12] His first competitive goal for Stoke came in a 1–0 League Cup win at Leyton Orient on 26 August 2009.[13] He scored his first league goal for Stoke on 29 August 2009, which proved to be the winning goal against Sunderland[14] and then scored again with a goal against Bolton Wanderers.[15] However Kitson lost his place to James Beattie and joined Middlesbrough on a two-month loan.[16] He scored his first goals for Middlesbrough when he scored a brace against Peterborough United on 28 November 2009.[17] He returned to Stoke on 1 January 2010. He scored in the FA Cup against Manchester City and against Bolton. However, after a poor performance against Chelsea he never played for Stoke again and was branded as 'petulant' by manager Tony Pulis.[18]

lol

BraisingsteakRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by BraisingsteakRoyal » 10 May 2017 10:36

Regarding the Secret Footballer stuff - It either IS him, or it's someone chucking one of his stories in to throw people off the scent.

In his latest book "Access All Areas"* he tells a story of having to go and face an FA disciplinary charge for comments made about a referee following a game in which there was a nasty injury, and the ref allegedly swore at a player.

It basically matches this incident with uncanny accuracy:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/24868274

IMHO - although I liked him a lot when he was here, both as a footballer and a personality - he comes across as a total bell end in his books (even given that i'm sure he has to play things up a bit to sell them)..

He's massively overestimated his stature in the game - going on about how he turned down so-and-so's shirt, and has 'done everything there is to do' in the game etc. I think he really believes he was a top Premiership striker.

If you were a fan of any other club than Reading - you'd probably describe Kitson as a fair to average striker who had a few decent seasons at Championship-level and then who's career massively nosed-dived.

* Don't judge me, it was 99p on kindle - i don't usually go in for such low-brow tut.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 10 May 2017 11:03

Hoop Blah If Kitson is The Secret Footballer (it's pretty much a given isn't it?) it's worth pointing out that he's a manic depressive with suicidal tenancies so calling him out for being a bit weird and a nutcase probably isn't the most sensitive thing in the world.

Is that right? I have read the books and don't remember him being diagnosed as that. Though to be fair I don't remember a huge amount about the books other than being fairly interesting and TSF coming over a complete bellend, but at least having the ability to acknowledge the fact

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 11 May 2017 18:44

Hoop Blah If Kitson is The Secret Footballer (it's pretty much a given isn't it?) it's worth pointing out that he's a manic depressive with suicidal tenancies so calling him out for being a bit weird and a nutcase probably isn't the most sensitive thing in the world.

Thanks Hoop re: BIB. Don't know whether it passed people by or people just didn't know what I meant (or I was out of line) but that was what I was alluding to in my post before. He mentions an occasion in one of the books about not taking his medication, for a laugh IIRC.

Vicky Pollard

by Vicky Pollard » 11 May 2017 19:03

He should get in touch with his landlord and see if there is a break clause.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 11 May 2017 20:20

Did not know that. Explains a fair amount.

WAZZOCK

by WAZZOCK » 11 May 2017 20:24

http://thetilehurstend.sbnation.com/201 ... ki-stadium

A much more balanced assessment of the situation than what Mr Kitson provided. Well done TTE.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 11 May 2017 22:10

Ian Royal

I don't think it's actually true though. Happy to be proven wrong

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 12 May 2017 16:04

Reading have indeed sent out invitations for Kitson to join in with club activities, including being an invited guest of the club in December of 2014 and again in the 2015/16 season when he even did a Q&A in the Fan Zone, during a campaign dedicated to marking the 10-year anniversary of the 106 point season.

Dave was also back at the Madejski working with the club's Community Trust back in 2015.

LOL!

just shut up dave!

Stretts
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stretts » 12 May 2017 19:16

Used to like Dave Kitson, but for the fact that he looks like Kes. (RIP)

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 12 May 2017 21:20

Forbury Lion It just occurred to me that maybe this is a public cry for help?

I for one have time for Dave Kitson, maybe he's a pcunt, maybe not but I've never met him so I won't judge.

I do recall one story that may not have been on the board, that was where he allegedly went to buy a new car and was clocked by the salesmen came over to him with £ signs in their eyes knowing he was a big earner they could upsell to, Kitson ignored them and went over to the sales person who clearly had no idea who he was.

Steve Sidwell on the other hand was a knob, I've heard how he was cocky and looking down on "regular" people when with Glen Little and Glen started chatting to them because he recognised them, not the other way round. Ian McShane is the same, happy to chat to anyone.

I can state with absolute certainty, based on personal experience, that your statement about Sidwell is rubbish.

My family and I were staying at The Mad Hotel on New Years Eve prior to the West Ham demolition. The Sidwells, Blakey and the Zamora were all in the restaurant/bar together. Sidwell and his wife were absolutely superb with our kids and us. The next morning we were in the lift going down to breakfast when it stopped and Sidwell got in. He recognised us and immediately started chatting, asking how our evening had been.

Then there was also Ginger Day which had Kitson throwing his toys out of the pram. A When the players had finished warming up Sidwell came over to our kids ( my son has natural red hair and my daughter was wearing a ginger t shirt IIRC). Sidders posed for photos with the kids and made a point of insisting DK came over to join in.

WAZZOCK

by WAZZOCK » 12 May 2017 21:57

Yeah, Siddy always seemed to come across as a good bloke. I thought he handled his contract situation very well compared to a few other members of that team. He played out of his skin and secured himself a fantastic contract elsewhere, others threw their toys out the pram and let it effect their performances on the pitch.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 12 May 2017 22:50

Yeah but Sidders said we were like a McDonalds happy meal birthday party, so oxf*rd im.

WAZZOCK

by WAZZOCK » 12 May 2017 23:06

A couple of things on that though.

A) We were promoted so early, there would have been no shock factor. This would have lessened the experience on the night itself.

B) Rather than having a one night blowout, they went to Marbella for several nights instead

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 12 May 2017 23:27

C) We didn't bottle winning the league

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 13 May 2017 01:02

Ian Royal

His hair colour can't have helped...

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 13 May 2017 07:44

TFF C) We didn't bottle winning the league

A) That is very true

B) I hate your profile picture

C) Have a great day

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 13 May 2017 08:08

Hound
Ian Royal

I don't think it's actually true though. Happy to be proven wrong

Which bit don't you believe? Kitson being the secret footballer or the bit that whoever it is has a pretty serious mental health issue?

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 13 May 2017 08:34

Jagermesiter1871 Yeah but Sidders said we were like a McDonalds happy meal birthday party, so oxf*rd im.

Haven't you heard? The parties for winning the league are much smaller than the celebrations for 2nd place.

elrey

by elrey » 13 May 2017 08:57

genome

Wow.

I love it.

"What do you want?"
"I want to be left alone"
"Okay, we'll leave you alone"
"What's wrong now?"
"You're ignoring me"
"But you said you wanted to be left alone!"