Williams
Obita

Swift

Yann
Mendes(McCleary if fit)

hughsies no.1

Re: Team for Fulham (A)

by hughsies no.1 » 08 May 2017 14:36

I can't have Illori starting, still not 100% convinced and looks so one footed. Agree with yesterdays shape but if McCleary is fit it will cause a dliemna for Jaap. Would go:

Al Habsi

Gunter
McShane
Moore
Blackett
Obita

Kelly
Williams
Evans

Beerens
Kerm

Mendes looked good yesterday but can't be starting him in the biggest game of our seasons after two impressive displays. Also don't think JVDB looked up to match fitness yesterday but could easily see Jaap putting him in for Evans. Harsh on Swift not being in there but reckon he will be saved for home leg along with McCleary.

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 08 May 2017 14:51

Mendes full of confidence, would like to see if he could carry it into the play offs, but yeh wouldn't mind Beerens upfront in his place..

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 08 May 2017 14:58

Al - Habsi

Watson
Gunter
McShane
Moore
Ilori
Blackett
Obita

VDB
Oxford
Evans

Classic 7-3-0

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 May 2017 15:10

LoyalRoyal22 Has to be the same shape as yesterday. 3-4-1-2

Would like to see

AL-Habsi

McShane
Moore
Ilori

Gunter
Evans
Williams
Obita

Swift

Yann
Mendes(McCleary if fit)

this, but Kelly for Swift and Blackett for Tiago. JDVB not mobile enough for this one, whilst I think Kelly is offering a little more than Swift at the moment. Blackett has been good second half of the season and deserves to come back in. I think we are basically going to have to go as quick and mobile as possible

Thinking about the side here, it does make me realise we do have a very good squad coming together. For all the jibes about false third etc, we have some real quality at the club
Last edited by Hound on 08 May 2017 15:14, edited 2 times in total.

George_

by George_ » 08 May 2017 15:12

---------------------------------AAH----------------------------

--------McShane------------Moore----------Illori--------

-Gunter----------------------Evans----------------------Obita

-------------------------Williams-----Kelly------------------

---------------------Yann-------------------Mendes-----------

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 08 May 2017 15:12

AAH

Gunter
Moore
McShane
Blackett
Obita

Swift
VDB
Williams

Kermie
Grabban

Would be harsh on Kelly, but I think we need VDB and Williams both in the middle to negate Fulham and Swift feels like more of a big game player to me. Always likely to do something special.

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 08 May 2017 15:20

Kelly starting for me in every game from now until eternity.

He is our Toni Kroos, IMO our best passer of the ball, and also very capable at recycling possession and retaining the ball, which is pretty much what we aspire to do.

Broxroyal

by Broxroyal » 08 May 2017 15:45

George_ ---------------------------------AAH----------------------------

This, except Blackett instead of Ilori

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 08 May 2017 16:06

I'd play 1-6-3-1 or hire a bus to park infront of our goal and get a 0-0 then back to our place

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 08 May 2017 16:09

hughsies no.1 I can't have Illori starting, still not 100% convinced and looks so one footed. Agree with yesterdays shape but if McCleary is fit it will cause a dliemna for Jaap. Would go:

Al Habsi

Gunter
McShane
Moore
Blackett
Obita

Kelly
Williams
Evans

Beerens
Kerm

Mendes looked good yesterday but can't be starting him in the biggest game of our seasons after two impressive displays. Also don't think JVDB looked up to match fitness yesterday but could easily see Jaap putting him in for Evans. Harsh on Swift not being in there but reckon he will be saved for home leg along with McCleary.

If Joey is even close to fit, I'd have him instead of Evans, I think we'll need a lot of grit and determination in the away leg and he has it in spades. Shouldn't be needed quite so much in the home leg (unless away leg goes very badly awry)

Dithering between Kelly and Swift, but Kelly for me just edges it - I think Swift goes missing more when things are going badly (maybe an unfair assessment)

Would bite your arm off for a draw or one goal defeat.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 08 May 2017 16:12

---------------------------------AAH----------------------------

--------McShane------------Moore----------Blackett--------

-Gunter----------------------Evans----------------------Obita-

-------------------------Williams-----Swift------------------

Subs: Jaakkola, Ilori, JVDB, Kelly, Mcleary, Beerens, Grabban

This would be a solid base with the option to bring on VDB to snap, Kelly to create, Mcleary or Grabban or Beerens to mix it up top when required.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 08 May 2017 16:19

-----------------Al-Habsi----------------
Gunter--Moore--Blackett--Obita
------------------Evans-------------------
-----------Kelly---------Swift------------
McCleary---------------------Beerens
-----------------Kermie-------------------

Jaakola, McShane, Ilori, Williams, Grabban, Meite, Mendes

Al-Habsi is obvious.

I went for a back 4 rather than the back 5 people seem to prefer. Our midfield is more important to us in these final games than a 3rd CB so we may as well play to our strengths in the centre.

Kelly just pushes out Williams. Has just as much energy and work ethic but has a touch more creativity. Swift has had his critics this season but has produced so he must start.

McCleary and Beerens should have no arguments against and Kermorgant could turn out to be our most important player going into the play-offs. His form has been fantastic and his confidence will be so important for us.

The bench should have a more attacking focus imo. 2 defenders for cover against injury, Moore is perfectly capable of moving out onto the right so have taken out the untested Watson for the slightly less untested Ilori (he does have an assist remember)

Williams has been a workhorse this season and may be just the spark of energy we need in a substitute when its do or die time.

Grabban and Mendes have started to prove their worth to this team in recent weeks so fully deserve the chance to prove that they can be match winners. I'm hoping their recent goal scoring exploits will have filled them with the belief they need to make the difference off the bench.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 08 May 2017 16:22

Hound Thinking about the side here, it does make me realise we do have a very good squad coming together. For all the jibes about false third etc, we have some real quality at the club

With a lot of potential too. Moore and Ilori both 24, Blackett and Obita 23, which considering their positions and their quality already, bodes very well for the future. Still slightly an unknown quantity but add in Watson at 20 as well.

Obviously further up the pitch you've got Swift (22), Evans and Kelly (both 21).

Its encouraging that a lot of our good players are still quite young.

Slater1993

by Slater1993 » 08 May 2017 16:26

NewCorkSeth -----------------Al-Habsi----------------

Al-Habsi is obvious.

I went for a back 4 rather than the back 5 people seem to prefer. Our midfield is more important to us in these final games than a 3rd CB so we may as well play to our strengths in the centre.

Kelly just pushes out Williams. Has just as much energy and work ethic but has a touch more creativity. Swift has had his critics this season but has produced so he must start.

McCleary and Beerens should have no arguments against and Kermorgant could turn out to be our most important player going into the play-offs. His form has been fantastic and his confidence will be so important for us.

The bench should have a more attacking focus imo. 2 defenders for cover against injury, Moore is perfectly capable of moving out onto the right so have taken out the untested Watson for the slightly less untested Ilori (he does have an assist remember)

Williams has been a workhorse this season and may be just the spark of energy we need in a substitute when its do or die time.

Grabban and Mendes have started to prove their worth to this team in recent weeks so fully deserve the chance to prove that they can be match winners. I'm hoping their recent goal scoring exploits will have filled them with the belief they need to make the difference off the bench.

Did you go to Fulham earlier in the season? Tore our full backs apart, personally i'd go for a back 5.

Slater1993

by Slater1993 » 08 May 2017 16:31

-----------------------------Al Habsi------------------------------
Gunter---McShane---Moore---Blackett/Ilori---Obita
-------------------------------Kelly---------------------------------
-------------------Williams--------Swift-------------------------
-----------------Kermorgant-----Mendes--------------------

Not sure on who out of Blackett or Ilori, but will trust whatever Stam goes with.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 08 May 2017 16:33

Slater1993

Al-Habsi is obvious.

Did you go to Fulham earlier in the season? Tore our full backs apart, personally i'd go for a back 5.

I didnt unfortunately. I see the arguments for a back 5 and there are some great reasons for doing so, but in my unprofessional opinion I think we would do well to allow our Midfield to play their natural game.

Slater1993

by Slater1993 » 08 May 2017 16:38

NewCorkSeth
Slater1993

Al-Habsi is obvious.

I didnt unfortunately. I see the arguments for a back 5 and there are some great reasons for doing so, but in my unprofessional opinion I think we would do well to allow our Midfield to play their natural game.

Would be ballsy and would say the only problem with back 5 is it makes it hard to play mccleary and beerens without losing a strong center midfield.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 08 May 2017 16:42

Slater1993
NewCorkSeth
Slater1993

Would be ballsy and would say the only problem with back 5 is it makes it hard to play mccleary and beerens without losing a strong center midfield.

I like to think Evans can play as a deep lying mid which would solve certain issues and god knows Kelly is more than happy to track a player back to the end of the earth so the extra strength in midfield could be worth the sacrifice.

The Informant

by The Informant » 08 May 2017 16:51

George_ ---------------------------------AAH----------------------------

Nailed it. Maybe Blackett for Illori but either way, our left will be weak as piss.

Tiago really does look like poor business at the moment. If Stams continues to buy style over substance at the back nothing will change away from home.
Last edited by The Informant on 08 May 2017 16:52, edited 1 time in total.