MATCHWATCH : Fulham (h) sponsored by whoever's got the bottle

221 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Fulham (h) sponsored by whoever's got the bottle

by Sutekh » 14 May 2017 10:12

Well it's in the hands of Reading Football Club still and that's all you could ask for.

As ever though with Reading if it's going to be done, it's going to have to be done the hard way with no Paul McShane and quite possibly no Jordan Obita and if there's one team you really didn't want to have half your defence ripped out for it's Fulham.

So Jaap now has to perm another defensive line. He has options but if Obita is gone as well it is very much make do and mend. As I see it the logical step is to play Ilori instead of McShane and move Blackett over to left back. The question then is do Reading play 5 at the back or play 4 and perhaps double up on defensive midfielders. Another option is to totally alter the formation by moving Gunter over to left back and asking Tennai Watson to step in at right back. Lastly there's always the option of Reece Oxford for what would be the biggest game of his career so far.

The other question is whether Liam Kelly will be over his illness in time. In a way I'm glad he missed the game as if he is fit he'll be fresher and that can only be good given his style of play and having someone getting involved and stirring things up is just what the cub will need.

I'm also expecting McCleary to be thrown at Fulham in the hope that he can give an hour or so to occupy the Fulham defence and, if he plays on the left, he could help keep Fredericks nailed down and therefore stop too much getting at what would be a weakened left side without Obita.

The biggest factor though has to be the supporters. There really needs to be effort from ALL stands CONTINUALLY throughout the game and none of the pathetic library quality atmosphere that has been about throughout most of the season. Fans need to be noisy and right behind every move of the players, they need to make sure Fulham do not feel welcome during the game and be on the back of the referee for every decision.

As to the game, well it's a quite simple case of having to beat Fulham on the night. There will be 90 minutes to do it in, and then another 30 minutes if it's still level. Heaven help us if it goes to penalties though as given the dreadful performance from the spot of both clubs this season any penalty shoot out may well still be running by the time the proposed play off final comes round (so if you happen to read this Mr Stam, make sure there is some penalty practice in training).

Referee

Referee does not appear to have been appointed yet but I believe it is likely to be one of Andre Marriner, Robert Madley or Graham Scott.

Historically

Reading at home to Fulham in the league has seen a 50% success rate for Reading while Fulham have a 30% win rate (20 games played). It all gets rather depressing though looking at the cup games played between the clubs in Reading which has seen 5 games previously (2 in the FA Cup and 3 in the League Cup) and Reading are still waiting to record a win.

URZ

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

Re: MATCHWATCH : Fulham (h) sponsored by whoever's got the bottle

by Top Flight » 14 May 2017 10:21

Sutekh

The biggest factor though has to be the supporters. There really needs to be effort from ALL stands CONTINUALLY throughout the game and none of the pathetic library quality atmosphere that has been about throughout most of the season. Fans need to be noisy and right behind every move of the players, they need to make sure Fulham do not feel welcome during the game and be on the back of the referee for every decision.

URZ

You can count me in. I will be extremely loud on Tuesday night and will be calling for every decision even if it clearly should go in Fulhams favour. Any Reading player that goes down in the box I will be calling for a penalty whether it's a penalty or not. The time to be Mr Nice Guy and kind and generous to the opposition is over. The prize is worth £290 million. I did not eat the sausage at the Cottage and I am not going on Tuesday night to be making friends. COME ON YOU ROYALS! This is win at all costs.

The Cap
Hob Nob Regular

by The Cap » 14 May 2017 10:34

Sutekh wrote: Another option is to totally alter the formation by moving Gunter over to left back and asking Tennai Watson to step in at right back. Lastly there's always the option of Reece Oxford for what would be the biggest game of his career so far.

Are you confident that Tennai could handle the pressures of such a big occasion? So looking forward to this game and, as you say, we all need to play our part. Well, as I've said elsewhere, I'm normally in Y25 and now fate has placed me in the South Stand for this one. I'll certainly be looking to get the picnic brigade going. And going. And going........ :wink:

glass half full
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you see someone without a smile..... give him one of yours!

by glass half full » 14 May 2017 10:36

All together:

"You call us 'tinpot', we DON'T CARE!" :lol:

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 14 May 2017 10:37

I think Tennai could handle it. He is a classy player. He's got all the attributes. We have a good squad. Stam is confident in the squad. And so am I.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 14 May 2017 10:52

No one likes us
No one likes us
We are tin pot
Really tinpot
We are the Reading from the South

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 14 May 2017 11:27

Obita probably won't be fit for Tuesday. I can see Tiago coming in for McShane with Blackett playing left back.

I can see Evans and Van den Berg playing behind Swift, Williams and Kelly with Kermorgant up front.

I can't see McCleary being risked albeit just off the bench

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 14 May 2017 12:51

I would imagine Kelly will have recovered from his illness so will be back Tuesday, I think he could well be key to a victory.

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 14 May 2017 17:45

I've a strong feeling this will go to penalties after a draw .....then we'll see who has bottle !

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 14 May 2017 18:39

Gunny Fishcake I've a strong feeling this will go to penalties after a draw .....then we'll see who has bottle !

Can we do a Van Gaal 2014 World Cup and bring Jaakola on at the end of extra time? :lol:

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 14 May 2017 18:41

bobby1413 No one likes us
No one likes us
We are tin pot
Really tinpot

And it's suuuper tinpot
SUPER TINPOT FC
We're by far the most irrelevant team
The world has ever seen!

Also bobby did you go to Walkabout in the end? Was it dece?

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 14 May 2017 18:52

CountryRoyal
No one likes us
We are tin pot
Really tinpot

And it's suuuper tinpot
SUPER TINPOT FC
The world has ever seen!

I did and yes it was superb. Better than expected.

Downstairs was jam packed with RFC fans with loud chanting throughout.

When we scored beer was thrown everywhere. People on tables. Some (male unfortunately) with their shirts off. I tried to get My GF to do that but she looked at me as if to say "you're a pathetic idiot, why am I with you?"

Edit: sorry just remembered she did say that.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 14 May 2017 19:06

bobby1413
CountryRoyal
No one likes us
We are tin pot
Really tinpot

And it's suuuper tinpot
SUPER TINPOT FC
The world has ever seen!

I did and yes it was superb. Better than expected.

Downstairs was jam packed with RFC fans with loud chanting throughout.

When we scored beer was thrown everywhere. People on tables. Some (male unfortunately) with their shirts off. I tried to get My GF to do that but she looked at me as if to say "you're a pathetic idiot, why am I with you?"

Edit: sorry just remembered she did say that.

Haha good stuff, glad it was fun.

And yep, I've seen that look many times :D Sorry to hear she wasn't a sport though, new wench is in order!

The Informant

by The Informant » 14 May 2017 20:11

Incredibly nervous about Tuesday.

We need a early goal to settle us down. All of this season's work could be over in the blink of an eye.

Should be a good atmosphere.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 14 May 2017 20:54

This seasons work?

Better than last seasons work

Not as good as next seasons work.

Whatever becomes, it wasn't a wasted season :D

The Cube

by The Cube » 14 May 2017 21:47

Fulham's complete play-off record (worse than ours):
P5 W0 D2 L3 F2 A8
Apart from Saturday, their other games were against those giants Bristol Rovers and Grimsby.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 14 May 2017 21:50

The Cube Fulham's complete play-off record (worse than ours):
P5 W0 D2 L3 F2 A8
Apart from Saturday, their other games were against those giants Bristol Rovers and Grimsby.

#history #westlondonbarca #happyclappers #neutralend

Za Vas

by Za Vas » 14 May 2017 22:24

Massively nervous already. Would be really worried with Obita missing out, possibly his best ever performance on Saturday. As others have suggested, you would assume Tiago at CB and Blackett shifting over to the left.

Would like to see Kelly come in but wouldn't want to drop Evans or Williams so that would be either Swift or Grabban dropping to the bench - this seems like an overly defensive approach. Trust Jaap to make the right call on all the above though - judging from the first leg he seems to have figured out how to tackle Fulham.

Am slightly concerned about the ref. Can't help but feel the 'anti-football' hysteria being stirred up could impact some of the decisions. Glad I will be watching this one at the stadium, watching football on the TV is horrific.

RoyalJack

by RoyalJack » 14 May 2017 22:50

Al Habsi

Gunter Illori Moore Blackett McCleary

Kelly

Swift Williams

Beerens

Kermorgant

Can easily go 442 with GMac one side and Beerens on the other and taking a CB off if we're chasing the game

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 15 May 2017 08:42

One thing Reading need to do though is put right their pretty awful home form in play off games.

Of the 5 previous games played Reading have won just once and drawn two others. In fact it gets worse. In 450 minutes of play off football at home Reading have scored only twice (that works out at 1 goal every 225 minutes) and if you were to take the last 3 minutes of the Wigan game out of the equation then Reading wouldn't have scored any goals at all :P

On the upside Reading, so far, only fail to make the final when they lose both legs of the semi-final

221 posts