Tinpot

madstadblues

Tinpot

by madstadblues » 14 May 2017 21:23

There must be a way for us to play on the 'tinpot' image the other fans like to project on us . I'm not sure I have the answer but I it will be really annoying for them if we come up with something! :P

Winchester Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Tinpot

by Winchester Royal » 14 May 2017 21:48

Maybe the two Championship tin pots we've won in the last 11 years?

There's a few obvious complainants out there, usually clubs that have inflated views of their own importance, combined with a general failure to deliver when it comes down to it. I'm thinking the likes of Brighton and West Ham.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 14 May 2017 21:59

I think just like Leeds fans are proud of their pcuntishness, I'm proud of our tinpottery. 8)

Kev in Bracknell

by Kev in Bracknell » 14 May 2017 22:27

I think we're a bit like Millwall: No one rates us. We don't care! :P

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 15 May 2017 07:40

I just love it when certain fans repeatedly remind us of our insignificance and how indifferent they are to us.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 15 May 2017 10:57

We're Reading and we're tinpot, we're tinpot, we're tinpot
and that's the way we like it, we like it, we like it...

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 15 May 2017 11:08

oxf*rd you lot we're tinpot, oxf*rd you lot we're tinpot.... oxf*rd you lot .. tinpot "clap" tinpot "clap" tinpot :D

Glory Boy

by Glory Boy » 15 May 2017 11:38

Talk about a zenith in tinpotidry of tinpottedness , Brighton actually had a cup in their promotion celebration tour in an open top bus.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-sussex-39914708

:roll:

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 15 May 2017 11:48

Glory Boy Talk about a zenith in tinpotidry of tinpottedness , Brighton actually had a cup in their promotion celebration tour in an open top bus.

You get a second place trophy.

Glory Boy

by Glory Boy » 15 May 2017 11:56

CountryRoyal
Glory Boy Talk about a zenith in tinpotidry of tinpottedness , Brighton actually had a cup in their promotion celebration tour in an open top bus.

Never knew that. It seems these days trophies are dished around like confetti. Still think its embarrassing and sad to parade around with a "second best" trophy.

jd82
Hob Nob Addict

by jd82 » 15 May 2017 12:06

Glory Boy
CountryRoyal

Never knew that. It seems these days trophies are dished around like confetti. Still think its embarrassing and sad to parade around with a "second best" trophy.

presumably you'd be equally embarrassed to see us lifting the 3'rd place trophy if we do manage to win the playoffs?

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 15 May 2017 12:30

madstadblues There must be a way for us to play on the 'tinpot' image the other fans like to project on us . I'm not sure I have the answer but I it will be really annoying for them if we come up with something! :P

Someone needs to photoshop a 'tin' of Tesco value beans, dented and mangled but with the stripes going the other way to create hoops with some play on words labelling. Someone with a bit of time on their hands give it a go

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 15 May 2017 12:43

Whats does "tinpot" mean?

I know it's the word of choice for teenage football fans on t'internet but what does it mean?

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 15 May 2017 12:56

Maguire Whats does "tinpot" mean?

I know it's the word of choice for teenage football fans on t'internet but what does it mean?

Luckily the good folk over at owlstalk kindly outlined the very definition for all of us unfortunate enough to support an also ran team. Has to be said I don't know why there are even other leagues, might as well have Sheffield Wednesday and fold every other club seeings how they are the biggest and the best.

Think the criteria for being 'Tinpot' goes further than the actual crowd averages.

Clackers are 'Tinpot' and show up fans that are incapable of spontaneous support without what is effectively a child's toy.

Teams like Derby, Leicester, Hudders, Brighton and loads more are singularly incapable of coming up with any songs / chants of their own and rely on nicking other people's songs, usually ours. This even allows for the fact we may have resurrected and rehashed them from years ago, but we are still 100% more original than any of the parrots i refer to.

Tinpot clubs think 'atmosphere' is a constant drone of non stop generic noise rather than the peaks & troughs as the play ebbs & flows.

Tinpot clubs brag about their home support, take 2000 to a play off leg, but take 400 to a normal away game.

Tinpot clubs have 5 pages on their forums after winning promotion, we have 55 pages on a vague rumour we are getting a new tea lady.
Last edited by CountryRoyal on 15 May 2017 12:57, edited 1 time in total.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 15 May 2017 12:57

Glory Boy
CountryRoyal

I don't see any issue.

Brighton have for the first time in their history been promoted into the top tier. Rightly they wanted to celebrate, if they get a trophy for coming second then I'd find it weirder to not have it displayed.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 15 May 2017 13:05

bobby1413
Glory Boy
CountryRoyal

I don't see any issue.

Brighton have for the first time in their history been promoted into the top tier. Rightly they wanted to celebrate, if they get a trophy for coming second then I'd find it weirder to not have it displayed.

+1

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 15 May 2017 13:06

CountryRoyal

Luckily the good folk over at owlstalk kindly outlined the very definition for all of us unfortunate enough to support an also ran team. Has to be said I don't know why there are even other leagues, might as well have Sheffield Wednesday and fold every other club seeings how they are the biggest and the best.

Think the criteria for being 'Tinpot' goes further than the actual crowd averages.

Clackers are 'Tinpot' and show up fans that are incapable of spontaneous support without what is effectively a child's toy.

Teams like Derby, Leicester, Hudders, Brighton and loads more are singularly incapable of coming up with any songs / chants of their own and rely on nicking other people's songs, usually ours. This even allows for the fact we may have resurrected and rehashed them from years ago, but we are still 100% more original than any of the parrots i refer to.

Tinpot clubs think 'atmosphere' is a constant drone of non stop generic noise rather than the peaks & troughs as the play ebbs & flows.

Tinpot clubs brag about their home support, take 2000 to a play off leg, but take 400 to a normal away game.

Tinpot clubs have 5 pages on their forums after winning promotion, we have 55 pages on a vague rumour we are getting a new tea lady.

The sad thing is any real football fan will respect lower league/smaller clubs and their supporters as they're part of the fabric of the game.

I'd hate to see Reading fans lording it over Morecambe or Yeovil because of the size differential/catchment area/being in a higher division.

"but, but, but we sing better songs". I mean, get a life.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 15 May 2017 13:08

bobby1413
Glory Boy Never knew that. It seems these days trophies are dished around like confetti. Still think its embarrassing and sad to parade around with a "second best" trophy.

I don't see any issue.

Yep, presumably Glory Boy would just chuck away an Olympic silver medal out of embarrassment.

Brighton supporters might be a shower of bellends but you can't begrudge the achievement this year or the celebration.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 15 May 2017 13:09

I've unfollowed tons of people on twatter for using words like "irrelevant" and "tinpot", "embarrassing" when describing other teams.

I was thinking one of the things I hate most about social media and modern football is the fact that it gives a platform to so many idiots from other clubs (ours probably included).

People who believe that the following are massively critical things that somehow provide credibility and authenticity to a club, it's achievements, it's history and how "valid" they are:

Home attendance
Away numbers
Crowd Noise
Empty seats
History
Fan demographic
Away day experience
Club initiatives
Fans sitting down rather than standing
Size of the club (whatever this means)

So to fans who consider the above list to be a valid way to judge a team, you should know that it has absolutely no relevance or impact on the success of a club, or it's right to be where they are.

I make this post with fans of ALL clubs (RFC included) as each club seems to have it's fair share of absolute d1cks.

I find the whole thing to be ridiculous really. Fans on Twitter all messaging each other saying "You're irrelevant, empty seats in your ground hahaha".... yes, ok, and what?

If a club gets promoted and yet doesn't sell out, so? Does that mean something?
Does your club sell out every single game? Great, if they do, that's smashing.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 15 May 2017 13:11

Maguire
The sad thing is any real football fan will respect lower league/smaller clubs and their supporters as they're part of the fabric of the game.

I'd hate to see Reading fans lording it over Morecambe or Yeovil because of the size differential/catchment area/being in a higher division.

"but, but, but we sing better songs". I mean, get a life.

118% agree with you there.

I said here before that clubs like Leeds and Sheffield Wednesday are big clubs, with a rich history and big fan bases. It's a shame that in football these clubs don't respect the so-called "smaller clubs" and actually have the attitude "good for them".