Please stand and applause on the 52nd minute at the game tonight- Dave Murtagh memorial

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Please stand and applause on the 52nd minute at the game tonight- Dave Murtagh memorial

by BR2 » 16 May 2017 12:32

Jagermesiter1871 I'd rather stand up and applaud for the death of one of our fans than the king of Thailand or a royalty. If that means doing it 15,000 times so be it.

Spot on mate.
If a football club regards itself as being part of the Reading community then a minute of clapping by fellow members of that club is fine with me and if it helps his family cope that little bit more then it can only be a good thing.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Please stand and applause on the 52nd minute at the game tonight- Dave Murtagh memorial

by Nameless » 16 May 2017 12:34

And as ever those who chose not to get involved will not be forced to applaud...

Condolences to the guys family, one extra reason for us to do the business this time.

Geekins
Hob Nob Regular

by Geekins » 16 May 2017 12:56

I'll stand the whole 90 minutes

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 16 May 2017 13:16

I'm hoping Fulham don't score on the 52nd minute, that could be a bit awkward.

RIP

JamieY26

by JamieY26 » 16 May 2017 13:17

This is to those people who are shooting down this idea...You should be ashamed of yourselves. Just don't comment if you hate the idea that much.

Clearly, the family are mourning the loss of someone they have lost very young and unexpectedly. They have looked to a group of people that he shared a passion with to make a gesture in his memory. Whats the big deal? But being so disrespectful and negative about something that would mean a hell of a lot to a grieving family is simply disgusting. I'd be interested to know whether or not those people would have the same response if they were asked in person by family or friends of this guy.

I'll be watching it at the pub tonight, but will raise a glass to Dave in the 52nd minute and think of the family because I have been through what they are going through.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 16 May 2017 13:19

semtex1871 do you think we'll have a minutes applause when Prince Philip dies?
If we get an extra bank holiday as a result it's the least we will do, although I suspect it will be a more dignified 2 minutes silence with black arm bands all round.

double d

by double d » 16 May 2017 13:47

I will stand up and raise a pint glass.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 16 May 2017 15:28

BR2
Jagermesiter1871 I'd rather stand up and applaud for the death of one of our fans than the king of Thailand or a royalty. If that means doing it 15,000 times so be it.
Let's hope you don't have to do it 15,000 times otherwise you might be the only one in the ground.

The Reverend

by The Reverend » 16 May 2017 15:51

JamieY26 This is to those people who are shooting down this idea...You should be ashamed of yourselves. Just don't comment if you hate the idea that much.

Clearly, the family are mourning the loss of someone they have lost very young and unexpectedly. They have looked to a group of people that he shared a passion with to make a gesture in his memory. Whats the big deal? But being so disrespectful and negative about something that would mean a hell of a lot to a grieving family is simply disgusting. I'd be interested to know whether or not those people would have the same response if they were asked in person by family or friends of this guy.

Cheers JamieY26, it's a discussion board. The OP isn't a grieving son or father. And yes, I'm a lot braver behind the keyboard but I couldn't really give a fcuk what you think of me

JamieY26 I'll be watching it at the pub tonight

You need to change your username you pLOLastic

Reading4eva
Hob Nob Regular

by Reading4eva » 16 May 2017 16:05

I'm not going tonight but I hope that as many fans as possible stand up and remember a fellow Royal. RIP and my thoughts are with you St Pauli and Dave's family and friends.

To anyone who is poo pooing this idea - your a bunch of twunts who should show a bit more respect. I'm sure you would want similar respect as to what the OP suggested if one of your loved ones passed.

When I croak it, I'm happy for everyone to celebrate my passing with 3 points and a heavy piss up in the Jazz Cafe

JamieY26

by JamieY26 » 17 May 2017 08:38

The Reverend
JamieY26 This is to those people who are shooting down this idea...You should be ashamed of yourselves. Just don't comment if you hate the idea that much.

Cheers JamieY26, it's a discussion board. The OP isn't a grieving son or father. And yes, I'm a lot braver behind the keyboard but I couldn't really give a fcuk what you think of me

JamieY26 I'll be watching it at the pub tonight

You need to change your username you pLOLastic

.... The Rev everybody.... What a lovely fella.... :roll:

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 17 May 2017 08:49

What better tribute with a dogged display, cracking atmosphere and a result which gives a trip to Wembley.

Best wishes.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 17 May 2017 08:51

I didn't hear a tribute for him, but it was just after we scored and the crowd was buzzing for that. I think Dave would've taken that :)

Geekins
Hob Nob Regular

by Geekins » 17 May 2017 09:34

Geekins I'll stand the whole 90 minutes

I did as i said i would. I started applauding in the 52nd minute but everyone was in a wave of celebration anyway. As genome said, i think Dave would've preferred that.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 17 May 2017 13:40

genome I didn't hear a tribute for him, but it was just after we scored and the crowd was buzzing for that. I think Dave would've taken that :)

quite.

Related note - Villa did something for their last game of 2016 where at 20:16, they did a minute of all the fans and ex-players that had passed away on the big screen. It was a very nice touch and seemed highly appropriate. RFC might want to take a look.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 17 May 2017 13:46

St Pauli Good Morning all,

Friday night just passed I was on the phone to a friend of mine and long term Reading fan Dave Murtagh about midnight. Dave had mentioned he had a spare ticket going for the Fulham game so and I was eager to take it off his hands and go to the game. We agreed to confirm the details Saturday morning.

Saturday morning I text Dave, but when he didn't answer I phoned him. His ex-wife Tricia picked up the phone in tears, and informed that Dave had died of a heart attack that morning, aged 52.

Dave has a large group of friends in Reading and is well known in the area, particularly among those who have worked on the Railway, gone to Reading games for decades, or drunk in the pubs and clubs of the town.

People often write good things about people after they've died, but with Dave anything good said is genuinely true. Dave always had an ear for anyone who needed a chat, and never had a bad word for anyone. You'd never hear him put anyone down or patronise them. He'll be sorely missed by his family and friends.

ETA: Because of this, we're asking the club to supporting a campaign for fans tonight to stand and clap on the 52nd minute at the game tonight, by using the big screen, please contact the club if you wish to support this.

Please support if you can.

did you get the spare ticket?....

RIP- & apologies for the joke^

I was not aware of this last night or else id have been standing and applauding for sure.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 17 May 2017 13:50

stealthpapes
genome I didn't hear a tribute for him, but it was just after we scored and the crowd was buzzing for that. I think Dave would've taken that :)

quite.

Related note - Villa did something for their last game of 2016 where at 20:16, they did a minute of all the fans and ex-players that had passed away on the big screen. It was a very nice touch and seemed highly appropriate. RFC might want to take a look.

A great idea/suggestion. Perhaps you should drop the club an email.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 17 May 2017 13:53

More than happy to.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 17 May 2017 14:21

Very prompt reply.

Thank you for contacting Reading Football Club.

I understand that your suggestion is something currently under consideration for next season and will communicate this as and when exact details are confirmed.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 17 May 2017 20:39

stealthpapes

quite.

It's certainly a better idea.

I can understand how tragic it must be to lose someone you know, but the sad fact is that there must be hundreds of Reading fans who die each year. Even STHs and regulars must run into dozens every season. Being known to you personally doesn't make that person's life more worthy of a minute's applause than the 99% who don't get any recognition at all, and you couldn't have a minute's applause at the next game for all of them.

Occasionally there'll be a fan whose death is exceptionally tragic, and sometimes there'll be a fan who'll be very well known to a large number of supporters, but most will be an "in memory of..." brick on the wall, and a seat that becomes empty midway through the season.