Please stand and applause on the 52nd minute at the game tonight- Dave Murtagh memorial

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

Please stand and applause on the 52nd minute at the game tonight- Dave Murtagh memorial

by St Pauli » 16 May 2017 08:30

Good Morning all,

Friday night just passed I was on the phone to a friend of mine and long term Reading fan Dave Murtagh about midnight. Dave had mentioned he had a spare ticket going for the Fulham game so and I was eager to take it off his hands and go to the game. We agreed to confirm the details Saturday morning.

Saturday morning I text Dave, but when he didn't answer I phoned him. His ex-wife Tricia picked up the phone in tears, and informed that Dave had died of a heart attack that morning, aged 52.

Dave has a large group of friends in Reading and is well known in the area, particularly among those who have worked on the Railway, gone to Reading games for decades, or drunk in the pubs and clubs of the town.

People often write good things about people after they've died, but with Dave anything good said is genuinely true. Dave always had an ear for anyone who needed a chat, and never had a bad word for anyone. You'd never hear him put anyone down or patronise them. He'll be sorely missed by his family and friends.

ETA: Because of this, we're asking the club to supporting a campaign for fans tonight to stand and clap on the 52nd minute at the game tonight, by using the big screen, please contact the club if you wish to support this.

Please support if you can.
Last edited by St Pauli on 16 May 2017 08:59, edited 1 time in total.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Please stand and applause on the 52nd minute at the game tonight- Dave Murtagh memorial

by windermereROYAL » 16 May 2017 08:50

Appreciate what you are saying, but this forum makes up a small percentage of the crowd that will be there tonight, if it is published on the big screen there may be a chance.
I recall an expat living in NZ passed away a few months back and the same appeal. nothing happened.
Sad for your loss may he RIP.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Please stand and applause on the 52nd minute at the game tonight- Dave Murtagh memorial

by genome » 16 May 2017 08:58

Will PM you Pauli - Dave was a family friend of mine.

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 16 May 2017 09:00

Yes we're trying to get the club to support the move by using the big screen, please contact the club to show your support as well.

Thanks Genome.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 16 May 2017 09:02

RIP In Peace....but does every fcuking game need a gesture?

Basildon

by Basildon » 16 May 2017 09:05

BR0B0T RIP In Peace....but does every fcuking game need a gesture?

Why shouldn't there be a gesture?

The Informant

by The Informant » 16 May 2017 09:38

Why does every fcuking game need a minutes applause of some type?

I know it must be a sad time for you St Pauli and condolences to his family but it's getting ridiculous.

People die all the time.
Last edited by The Informant on 16 May 2017 09:39, edited 1 time in total.

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 16 May 2017 09:39

I take your point but I think the way in which it happened, on the the day of the game last week, and the way in which we found out is what it making people push for something at the game.

The Informant

by The Informant » 16 May 2017 09:43

I get it for ex players/managers etc but not for every fan that dies

That being said, if there is some kind of applause tonight of course I will join briefly.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 16 May 2017 09:48

Just to let you all know that if I die, I really don't want a fuss. Just please carry on as normal.

Sorry for the loss of your friend

The Informant

by The Informant » 16 May 2017 09:58

bobby1413 Just to let you all know that if I die, I really don't want a fuss. Just please carry on as normal.

Sorry for the loss of your friend

I will eat a kebab, a pizza and a burger king in your honor

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 16 May 2017 09:59

Here's the update on the situation, from the friend who's organising this and who asked me to publicise it here, and personally I'm happy with what the club have decided:

Good morning, all. Andy Dawber, Dave’s long-time friend and work colleague (27 years standing) who Guz talked with at the start of the thread kindly gave me a call too. As it stands, Andy’s sons have been pushing through a Twitter and Facebook campaign encouraging a minutes applause on 52 minutes, reflecting Dave’s age. Whilst the club haven’t given it it’s official sanction (normally minutes’ applause would be for the passing of a playing or managerial legend) they are happy if the crowd stand up and applaud themselves on 52 minutes to commemorate Dave. Andy doesn’t think Dave’s picture will come up on 52 minutes but they are paying tribute to him at half time along with a message in tribute to him by Jacqui at the club, putting up a picture of him on screen outside ‘his favourite pub’ Andy told me (sorry – I didn’t enquire as to the name of the pub) supplied by Karen Watts, gate keeper at Reading station and the girl who was heartbroken to find him on Saturday morning. Flowers will be left on Dave’s chair, and Zara in charge of the Programme production was doing her best to get something in today’s programme but is constrained by the tight deadline. We’re hoping something will be in tonight’s programme.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 16 May 2017 10:17

The Informant Why does every fcuking game need a minutes applause of some type?

I know it must be a sad time for you St Pauli and condolences to his family but it's getting ridiculous.

People die all the time.

I know right? God forbid something briefly causes you some mild annoyance

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 16 May 2017 10:21

I've got no issue with this and if it upsets melts like The Informant all the better, but please stand and applause? Come on St Pauli, you've let yourself down there

The Reverend

by The Reverend » 16 May 2017 10:47

Basildon

Why shouldn't there be a gesture?

Because there's a Garden of Remembrance
Because there's a memorial wall
Because the more often you do it the less it means

St Pauli, I'm genuinely sorry for your loss. Not trying to be a git by saying these things but the only time these issues are raised is when such requests are made.

semtex1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: The sneering condescension of the remain ultras.....

by semtex1871 » 16 May 2017 11:12

do you think we'll have a minutes applause when Prince Philip dies?

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 16 May 2017 11:20

semtex1871 do you think we'll have a minutes applause when Prince Philip dies?

yes in the 96th minute

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 16 May 2017 12:00

I'd rather stand up and applaud for the death of one of our fans than the king of Thailand or a royalty. If that means doing it 15,000 times so be it.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 16 May 2017 12:09

Jagermesiter1871 I'd rather stand up and applaud for the death of one of our fans than the king of Thailand or a royalty. If that means doing it 15,000 times so be it.

I too will stand and applaud/remember one of our own. Respect to all Reading FC supporters.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 16 May 2017 12:09

Jagermesiter1871 I'd rather stand up and applaud for the death of one of our fans than the king of Thailand or a royalty. If that means doing it 15,000 times so be it.

+15,000