BFTG - Fulham

204 posts
genome
Hob Nob Legend

Re: BFTG - Fulham

by genome » 17 May 2017 11:53

Hound
genome Surprised there haven't been more comments about the atmosphere last night. The last 10 minutes were probably the best atmosphere the Madejski has seen.

yep it was amazing. massive contrast to most games I've been to this year. Brilliant effort, even the crappie flag things worked

I thought they would. As I mentioned the Spurs flags in the Man Utd match looked skillz.

McCleary tweeted that he had goosebumps when the team walked out, and that we got them over the line towards the end.

Need more of that please :D

Roar on the Royals

by Roar on the Royals » 17 May 2017 12:01

24 January 2017 Reading 1-0 Fulham

Reading won the game via an out-of-nothing penalty awarded on the 49th minute.

16 May 2017 Reading 1-0 Fulham

Reading won the game via an out-of-nothing penalty awarded on the 49th minute.

History repeated. :D

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 17 May 2017 12:19

genome
Schards#2 Wonderful night, the sort that lives with you forever

My MOM would be Ilori. Barely played all season and slotted in to a high pressure game like he was an ever present. Barely put a foot wrong all game

Had a little dodgy spell towards the end of the first half, but other than that, yeah I'd agree - top performance. His block from Piazon was as vital as any of Ali's saves last night

There were a couple of times where he tried to be a little bit too clever on the ball and put us under pressure from Fulham on the counter.

However his recovery pace, and those big long legs being used to jab the ball away from their attackers, more than made up for it. Loads of potential there, if Jaap can work on a couple of his positional flaws we'll have a top defender. Reminds me of Hector in a lot of ways.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 17 May 2017 12:26

Nameless 3 people in front of us got up and left with 5 minutes to go.
Bet they are complaining if they don't get Wembley tickets.
On a night like last night I really struggle to accept that the usual reasons why people 'have' to leave hold any water.

Maneki Neko
Nameless 3 people in front of us got up and left with 5 minutes to go.
Bet they are complaining if they don't get Wembley tickets.
On a night like last night I really struggle to accept that the usual reasons why people 'have' to leave hold any water.

some bloke on BBC berks this morning did the same- went back into trown to celbr8, but had to keep checking their phones to see if we had actually held on.
:|

Anyone who left early last night is either a Fulham fan or an absolute moronic bellend. I was stood in the stand for a good 20 minutes afterwards. Absolutely amazing night.

Still can't say I enjoyed it as It was gut wrenchingly nerve racking. Delight when Kermit scored, and then I realised we still had a good 30-40 minutes of the game to hold on or score again.

I can't remember feeling as nervous as that at any game before.

The Cap
Hob Nob Regular

by The Cap » 17 May 2017 12:27

WoodleyRoyal wrote:
in the top 3 genome for sure, wigan playoff and Boro opening prem game are up there.

For sure. That first game, in the Prem, against Boro' was spine tingling. Then again, I'm not sure that it's a feeling you can describe. As Des Lynam said back in the day, "but they just don't understand". Thought the atmosphere was right up there last night. Having booked tics in the South Stand, I did wonder. However, any doubts were soon erased as those of us at the back of the stand seemed to cascade more than just a few chants downwards. I'd also say that quite a few of the Foolem fans were magnanimous in defeat, as they stood and applauded us after the game. Not all of them are bitter and twisted.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 17 May 2017 12:28

Brum Royal
NewCorkSeth I have forgotten which Nobber mentioned it but the commentators mentioned 3 or 4 times Fulhams ability to come back but never once mentioned our ability to hold onto a lead. Was quite annoying..

It wasn't me, but we've certainly not dropped many points this year from games we've taken the lead in - the away leg was one of the anomalies to that particular stat, last night much more in keeping with it

Games we`ve taken the lead in this season W26. D2 (Brighton h Fulham a) L1 (Derby a)

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 17 May 2017 12:30

bobby1413 I can't remember feeling as nervous as that at any game before.

I'm trying to think if I have ever felt physically sick with nerves at a football match as I did from about 80 minutes onwards. Maybe Brentford 01/02 was about the same, but I was only 13 years old then so I don't think it was quite as bad.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 17 May 2017 12:32

Que sera sera 1-0 with 35 minutes to go. was preying it wouldnt come back and bite us on the arse

Brum Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Brum Royal » 17 May 2017 12:33

I have to say I've been to a lot of the big games in our last 10-15 years and that was as vociferous and raucous an atmosphere as I can remember. Not just the volume, but the sustained length of it, the fact that all four sides of the ground joined in at times and just the sheer collective "we will not let you down lads, just keep going" mentality that came through with it. Whilst we've had good atmospheres in the past, that one last night just had an extra something to it. Proof that although we can be a bit reserved at times, we do have it in us on occasion.

As for the players:
AAH - An Absolute Hero. Three top drawer saves, that tip over the bar on the move is one of his best (and certainly most important) of the season. Plus a huge moment of bravery to dive at Martin's feet to grab the ball.
Gunter - one of his best games this season, kept Fredericks quiet for the last 20 mins after the switch
Blackett - did well on the whole, wasn't afforded much protection from left midfield at times and for a patch in the middle of the first half Fredericks got given far too much time and space to run at him. Surprised me going forward too - some very neat little tricks and touches to jink his way through, but just lacking a left foot and a quick cross that would have come from Obita had he been playing (that isn't a criticism of TB, just a comparison between the two)
Illori, Joey & Moore - a big blue and white wall that made a huge number of blocks and tackles and were generally immense
Evans - shut Cairney out of the game and restricted him to the odd pot shot from open play. Very, very good. Loved Noel's assessment of him on the radio
Williams - absolutely everywhere, winning tackles, driving us forward, could have had a couple of counter attack goals but for better passes to him. Amazing energy levels.
Swift - had the big chance to put us two up but generally all action and played almost as the third striker at times
Yann - took his big moment, and was absolutely outstanding at both ends of the pitch
Grabban - some excellent moments of hold up play coupled with a few moments of not releasing the ball quick enough to allow for counter attacks to flow

The subs all played their part as well, GMac did a decent job at right back although seemed a little slow to get into the pace of the game, stood his man up excellently at times and did well not to concede a foul or penalty under some intense scrutiny from Piazon's theatrics.

Ref was pretty good too I thought. Got most things right, didn't fall for Fulham's play acting (as did Atwell on Saturday), let the game flow.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 17 May 2017 12:37

This whole experience just reinforces my bemusement with people that support Liverpool/Man United, etc... with no connection to the club.

I try to avoid football talk in work, this is one reason that happened yesterday:

Colleague - are you going tonight?
Me - yes, I can't wait as I've just been sick with nerves for a couple of days now, such a big game
Colleague - yes, I know exactly what you mean. When Man United played in the champions league final I had the same feeling

Me - :roll: yes, I'm sure you did as you watched it on TV with no connection to Manchester at all, and having only been to one game there in your entire life (I didn't say this).

The Cap
Hob Nob Regular

by The Cap » 17 May 2017 12:41

Brum Royal wrote:
I have to say I've been to a lot of the big games in our last 10-15 years and that was as vociferous and raucous an atmosphere as I can remember. Not just the volume, but the sustained length of it, the fact that all four sides of the ground joined in at times and just the sheer collective "we will not let you down lads, just keep going" mentality that came through with it. Whilst we've had good atmospheres in the past, that one last night just had an extra something to it. Proof that although we can be a bit reserved at times, we do have it in us on occasion.

As for the players:
AAH - An Absolute Hero. Three top drawer saves, that tip over the bar on the move is one of his best (and certainly most important) of the season. Plus a huge moment of bravery to dive at Martin's feet to grab the ball.
Gunter - one of his best games this season, kept Fredericks quiet for the last 20 mins after the switch
Blackett - did well on the whole, wasn't afforded much protection from left midfield at times and for a patch in the middle of the first half Fredericks got given far too much time and space to run at him. Surprised me going forward too - some very neat little tricks and touches to jink his way through, but just lacking a left foot and a quick cross that would have come from Obita had he been playing (that isn't a criticism of TB, just a comparison between the two)
Illori, Joey & Moore - a big blue and white wall that made a huge number of blocks and tackles and were generally immense
Evans - shut Cairney out of the game and restricted him to the odd pot shot from open play. Very, very good. Loved Noel's assessment of him on the radio
Williams - absolutely everywhere, winning tackles, driving us forward, could have had a couple of counter attack goals but for better passes to him. Amazing energy levels.
Swift - had the big chance to put us two up but generally all action and played almost as the third striker at times
Yann - took his big moment, and was absolutely outstanding at both ends of the pitch
Grabban - some excellent moments of hold up play coupled with a few moments of not releasing the ball quick enough to allow for counter attacks to flow

The subs all played their part as well, GMac did a decent job at right back although seemed a little slow to get into the pace of the game, stood his man up excellently at times and did well not to concede a foul or penalty under some intense scrutiny from Piazon's theatrics.

Ref was pretty good too I thought. Got most things right, didn't fall for Fulham's play acting (as did Atwell on Saturday), let the game flow.

Good summary, mate. Very succinct.

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 17 May 2017 12:44

Massive performances from Williams and Yann over the two legs got us over the line.
My son took his stepson who will be one of those mentioned earlier that will remember the night as being a bit special and may make them fans for life.
Lol@the stewards who finally nailed one bloke on the pitch after ganging up on him when about 5,000 others were untouched (what was the point?) and well done to the bloke in the wheelchair for getting on the pitch-it was that sort of night.

Driving home listening to Talksport, one caller James was excellent but the other one Dan(?) what a div going on about Warnock and ending with "have it" as he droned on about us not getting the recognition we deserve when the presenters were...giving us the recognition we deserve.
We do seem to have a lot of fans (some on here) who have this terrible inferiority complex about our club but it probably says more about themselves than RFC.

Am just off to see a Fulham client-desperately wanting to gloat just a little bit but will be interested to hear his take on the two games.

boycey

by boycey » 17 May 2017 12:59

Well I must say, I had a smashing time last night.

BraisingsteakRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by BraisingsteakRoyal » 17 May 2017 13:11

Echo some of the sentiments on here, plus:

Thought Gunter played as well as i've seen him - a real cliched 'captains performance'. Got forward and crossed a couple of times, and played on the left when needed.

It'll be a shame if we lose Williams in the summer, as he's turned from being a bit of a headless chicken at times into a driving midfielder who has settled into his game.

Thought Ilori did well given his limited match time. Got caught out of position a couple of times, but that'll come with more games.

First half I thought Grabban was poor - snatched at a couple of half chances that I thought he should have at least worked the keeper with (looked low on confidence), but second half - fair play to him - he worked his ballbag off for the cause.

4 stars.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 17 May 2017 13:13

bobby1413 This whole experience just reinforces my bemusement with people that support Liverpool/Man United, etc... with no connection to the club.

I try to avoid football talk in work, this is one reason that happened yesterday:

Colleague - are you going tonight?
Me - yes, I can't wait as I've just been sick with nerves for a couple of days now, such a big game
Colleague - yes, I know exactly what you mean. When Man United played in the champions league final I had the same feeling

Me - :roll: yes, I'm sure you did as you watched it on TV with no connection to Manchester at all, and having only been to one game there in your entire life (I didn't say this).

Generally most southern United or Liverpool fans only support them due to their success. So agreed to a certain extent. But how do you measure a 'connection' with a club? I was taken to watch Chelsea when I was 8 and supported them ever since. That was the only connection I needed.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 17 May 2017 13:15

The Cap
Brum Royal wrote:

As for the players:

Good summary, mate. Very succinct.

one of the long4est posts on the thread :lol:

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 17 May 2017 13:18

No Fixed Abode
Nameless
No Fixed Abode
Erm, yes it did happen.

No, it didn't actually.
you're late to the party. Been discussed and put to bed a long while back.

We can't take you seriously when you're so blinkered.

"Back, and to the left"

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 17 May 2017 13:22

genome
bobby1413 I can't remember feeling as nervous as that at any game before.

I'm trying to think if I have ever felt physically sick with nerves at a football match as I did from about 80 minutes onwards. Maybe Brentford 01/02 was about the same, but I was only 13 years old then so I don't think it was quite as bad.

I adopted the same tactic to deal with those nerves as I did at Brentford - made as much noise as I could in support of the team. A

After the Brentford game I bumped into Richard Wickson who described me as the bloke (might have been 'nutter') using the corrugated iron at the back of the stand as a drum and bawling my head off!

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 17 May 2017 13:24

BR2 We do seem to have a lot of fans (some on here) who have this terrible inferiority complex about our club but it probably says more about themselves than RFC.

As fans and as a club we have so much to feel inferior about though.

#tinpot
#falsethird
#yannshand

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 17 May 2017 13:29

Think everything about players has been said - Illori stood out as, yeah, never seen him play before :roll: . We made a conscious shift to 5-4-1 with a subsitition. Thought that was when we do a standard issue fold. Fulham had a ten minute spell of almost uninterrupted possession but barely any actual shots then it broadly petered out into something a bit more aimless.

Echo everything about the crowd - I missed Wigan in 2001 but that's the only game i can think of being tenser. I was up near the posh seats, could smell the champagne on JM's breath. Also, think Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink was there, him or Eddie Murphy anyway.

Ref - very good. Sat next to people who criticised him early on for a foul (Kermogant didn't jump, took out players legs). Liked him giving advantage and then taking the ball back - one for diving which is a rarity.

Anyway, since we've moved to Madekski, I make it we've had four properly duff seasons. The first, 03-04 and 04-05 and 13-14. Every other has seen play offs, cup runs, promotion and, because I like suffering, relegation.

On to Wembley.

204 posts
It is currently 20 Apr 2024 16:48